Specialty dining with kids - Liberty of the Seas

Hello all,

We have an upcoming cruise next month on RC LOTS. I've only cruised one other time, so am still an inexperienced cruiser. My wife and I will be bringing our 10 y/o and 4 y/o with us. The last time we cruised was also on RC and my wife and I really liked Sabor, and wished we had tried more of the specialty restaurants during the trip. I noticed that RC now offers specialty dining packages, so I purchased the unlimited one to give is the freedom to try them all out while we are there. One of our relatives, who is an experienced cruiser, shared with us that going to the specialty restaurants with our kids (mainly the 4 y/o, whom can be at handful at times), would not be appreciated by the other guests and that we may want to reconsider that option.

I know RC will allow us to bring our kids, but we do want to be respectful of the other passengers. We were really looking forward to trying out some of the nicer specialty restaurants on the ship, so I am just wondering what the general pulse on this is and if I should cancel the specialty dining package, and just go to the regular restaurants on the ship instead? TIA

• Clarea changed the title to Specialty dining with kids - Liberty of the Seas

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If your kids are well behaved and not climbing the walls it shouldn't be an issue.  And if someone has a meltdown and you have to leave... then maybe your meal could be packed up.  We bring our boys to all the restaurants (ages 11 and 9) and have always done.  We plug them into their devices and enjoy our dinner.   Alternatively they can always try the kids club while you go for a nice meal.  

All the specialty restaurants have kids' menus, so they know families will be bringing kids in.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  If your kids are well behaved and not climbing the walls it shouldn't be an issue.  And if someone has a meltdown and you have to leave... then maybe your meal could be packed up.  We bring our boys to all the restaurants (ages 11 and 9) and have always done.  We plug them into their devices and enjoy our dinner.   Alternatively they can always try the kids club while you go for a nice meal.  

All the specialty restaurants have kids' menus, so they know families will be bringing kids in.

Great advice 

• Like 1

I really think it depends on how much you let other's opinions bother you. Unfortunately, I probably care too much what other people think, especially since I will never see these people again. We have three children and let's say one of them is not always on his best behavior. We did receive some dirty looks at dinner one night at Chops when he started acting like a kid. We got our dinner to go and everything was fine but we definitely felt more comfortable in the main dining room for future meals. If you have thick skin though, I say go for it! 

• Like 1

I'm not a parent and children in general don't bother me. However, would you take your children to a Ruth Chris, Morton's or someplace similar? If not, I may think twice about a specialty on a ship as well.

I did a quick search Chef's Table says attire if formal. I would think no to the 4 year old. Giovanni's and Chop's are "smart casual" attire. You might have luck going at lunch! I think people get more cranky about that kind of thing at dinner.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

Well behaved children are always welcome.  But, if I am paying an extra $80 or more for a special dinner with my husband, I would be a very unhappy camper if a child at the next table was screaming and pitching a fit.  Of course, if an obnoxious drunk was at the next table I would also be unhappy.  I think it all boils down to consideration of others.  There were times I hauled my son out of a public place so that everyone didn’t have to listen to his meltdown.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ToroAzul said:

For clarity, Do you have to pay for the kids in specialty dining? We have a 3 year old that won't eat and a picky 9 year old. 

The younger one eats free off the MDR kids’ menu, the older one pays $10 and eats off a small version of the adult menu for the particular restaurant. 

I'm not a parent, but I've spent my fair share of time around small children (numerous nieces and nephews, all under the age of ten, courtesy of my stepsister and some friends who designated me "auntie" when their children were born.) In my experience the kids do alright in fancy restaurant settings when their parents bring something to quell them. My stepsister's go-to for her daughters (5 and 4) is a coloring book and markers, and cheerios for her one-year-old son. As long as the kids are occupied, they don't raise much of a fuss. (The four-year-old is on the spectrum and occasionally gets sensory overload, but we've found she does better if she has something to do.)

EDIT to add I only really have issues with kids in restaurants if the parents are doing nothing to entertain them or calm them when they start screaming. If those kinds of people would just address the child's needs it wouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by booplesnoople
  • Like 1

The four year old will almost certainly get bored and cause a disturbance.  He’d be far happier in the kids club. Specialty dining at that age is stressful on everyone.

the ten year old will be fine as long as he likes anything other than chicken fingers and fries.  And knows how to conduct themself in a fine dining establishment.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ToroAzul said:

For clarity, Do you have to pay for the kids in specialty dining? We have a 3 year old that won't eat and a picky 9 year old. 

Yes.  If they eat off the kids menu it’s either $10 or half the adult price.  

I think under 5 are free with the same menu as the MDR.    

My suggestion would be to bring the kids to Sorrento's or Windjammer for dinner early and then drop them off at Adventure Ocean while you enjoy an "adult" dinner.  You and the kids will both be happier.

• Like 3

We have always taken my granddaughter, from age 7 months to 11 years, to all the specialty  restaurants we have went to.  At times we have had to take her out when she started acting up but she always settled down and we continued our dinner.  My experience is it is not the kids but the parents who cannot seem to take care of the problem. Although we have never taken things to keep her busy I can see where now a cell phone or something would be a good idea.  I say, take them and see how it works.  You can always leave them at AO if it does not work out.  We have always done Chef's Table and have never seen any kids there but are taking her to Mystery Dinner on Liberty in March and know we will have a good time.  Happy sailing!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions! We sill have not made up our minds just yet, but we'll see happens. This is really one of the friendly message forums I've ever seen. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts on this subject!

• Like 1

I have Unlimited on my upcoming cruise, and will be taking my 2 and 4 year old to every meal.  We have cruised with them since the oldest was 10 months.  We have always taken them to all dinners.  They are well behaved, and if they have an issue one of us will take them out and get them settled.  There will always be the people that give you looks, but just ignore them.  As long as you are respectful you, and your children, have every right to be there.

6&8

• Like 2

My suggestion is to take them early before they and you are too tired.  More families eat in Chops early and more couples later.  Be prepared to take them out if they make a scene and it will be fine. I had four of my own and 5 grands but would not subject other guests to a melt down.

Last cruise I saw a couple trying to have a nice dinner in Chops with 2 small children ( both were probably under 5).  I felt sorry for mom and dad as one or the other kept having to take one of them out and the mom and dad basically ate their dinner quickly alone.  They both looked pretty miserable.  I’m guessing they would have been happier  in the windjammer.  Only you know your children and if it would be enjoyable.

Why don't you ask them ? Hey little man would you like to have dinner at windjammers and then go back to play at kids club or do you want to come with us to Chops and sit there for Two Plus hours ??? 

I am annoyed when I am at any restaurant and an adult is acting up.  Why does everybody think the child will be the one acting up.  There is always someone with the drink package that feels they need to drink more than they need to so they can get their money's worth and the other passengers have to suffer.  Take your kids and have a great time.  Worst case is you have to leave early.  Even now with my 12 yo granddaughter the rule is she goes to dinner with us every night and after that she can go spend time with her friends.  This has been our policy since day 1 when she was old enough to walk.  She knows what is expected and when they know the rules they usually follow them.  Have a great family cruise making memories with your kids.