Silversea TRYING to attract KIDS

descartes1

4 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Most curious.

I’m with you Davey.  I watched a poor woman on FB get practically torn to shreds when she posted some minor quibbles with the first day of her voyage, yet someone says “kids”, which is apparently akin to “FIRE” in the vernacular of many SS cruisers, and the moderator lets it turn into a wildfire and burn the whole place down.  Most curious indeed!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Was watching that on Facebook and found it quite strange that any posts that dare to criticise anything about Silversea are met with a very curt “we are not the complaints department” and the posts are removed, whilst this one seems to be left to run. Most curious.

Most curious indeed, but then the Facebook group is there as a ‘love in’ alternative to the real world here on CC.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, descartes1 said:

I have it on good authority that the kids and baby promotion will be removed from the Moon's inaugural sale on August 6th. 

I, and those in the group which have booked with us, are very happy this is being addressed.  

Quoting whom?

• Like 1

Currently on the beautiful Wind circumnavigating Ireland which is a new itinerary for Silversea.There are children on board who dominate the pool deck each afternoon but are generally well behaved.Having said this neither the itinerary or the expected climate 

is conducive to child activities which are non existent on Silversea so it is really the parents who choose to travel with children on a non friendly cruise line for kids that are to blame not the poor kids who are subjected to an old folk friendly line.

I suspect the RCC line is behind the policy of continuing their own policy of attracting 

young children as a commercial decision which will change the long established Silversea policy of luxury cruising into the realms of mass market cruising.Sadly not for 

us oldies !!

• Like 1

The World Cruise segments have now been removed from the Silversea website. Although that has been accomplished, many cruises still remain. A further dive into the remaining cruises presently listed seems appropriate.

I was led to believe and received confirmation that the intent of the Family Savings promotion was to list a few summer and holiday cruises. The remaining cruises seems not to be the case.

36 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

The World Cruise segments have now been removed from the Silversea website. Although that has been accomplished, many cruises still remain. A further dive into the remaining cruises presently listed seems appropriate.

I was led to believe and received confirmation that the intent of the Family Savings promotion was to list a few summer and holiday cruises. The remaining cruises seems not to be the case.

Really appreciate your interest/efforts.  The mere fact that the promotion is not advertised on the website does not necessarily imply that the fare reduction (e.g., 75% for under 2's) is not available when a family tries to book.  Others have posted on this board that SS has long offered (unadvertised) discounts to children and infants/toddlers, and that previous discounts were even more generous than the 75%/50% now under discussion.  Removing the discounts from the website is one thing.  Removing them (apart from holiday/summer cruises) in practice is quite another -- and to my mind more important.  

Children's discounts have always been available on Silversea subject to their terms and conditions.

Promoting Family Savings during holiday and summer seems logical as one would expect children in any case if they chose to take one of these voyages.

But promoting Family Savings across the gamut of cruise choices implies a change in marketing position that runs contrary to the long-standing reputation amongst cruisers and travel agents.

Here in Florida you have many choices where to live which include 55+ communities. You have your choice what kind of living environment you want. When you embark on a Silversea cruise you are greeted with "Welcome Home!"

You similarly have your choices of cruise lines. Although bottom line in the transportation industry is one of the drivers to marketing strategy, Royal Caribbean has the advantage of having it's cake and eating it as the brands now under it's umbrella cater to and are competitive to all of the above segments. 

Nobody here seems to suggest and I agree that Silversea should be "adults only".... but the PR nightmare that I believe now exists is that the misstep in not limiting the Family Savings promotion to the intended summer and holiday voyages has resulted in great and frankly unnecessary concern amongst those that thought they knew the Silversea brand. 

Having travelled on the Silver Muse I can attest to the fact that they have incorporated a 'kids room' into the design. The same I expect will be on the Silver Moon, etc. But that doesn't mean that inaugural or longer Grand Voyages should be included in any such promotion. 

Similarly the older ships in the Silversea fleet have zero ship venues onboard that would even be appropriate for younger kids. They have limited dining venues, etc.

It would have been helpful if the CMO of Silversea had joined the CC conversation as the buck stops with her!

So far that hasn't happened. Will it?

Edited by Capt.F
typo

1 hour ago, Capt.F said:

Nobody here seems to suggest and I agree that Silversea should be "adults only"....

I do not suggest that -- though I would be delighted if it happened.  I simply think it is unrealistic to expect this anytime soon. I do strongly urge a ban on infants/toddlers.  I know of two couples who have moved to Viking because of the guarantee that they would not be harassed by children there.  They say they greatly miss Silversea, but are pleased by the child-free Viking ambience.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, descartes1 said:

Mark Conroy. 

He said it will take a day or so for the website to reflect this change regarding the Moon's inaugural sail.

I understand that management committed to remove from the website any notice of special rates for children on this cruise.

Did you get the idea from Mr. Conroy that no bookings for children/infants would be accepted for this sailing?  

If parents could still book children, what would be the fares for those children?

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Observer said:

I understand that management committed to remove from the website any notice of special rates for children on this cruise.

Did you get the idea from Mr. Conroy that no bookings for children/infants would be accepted for this sailing?  

If parents could still book children, what would be the fares for those children?

Thanks.

We did not discuss that.

I have no issue with Silver Sea doing what they have always done-- namely, accepting kids on board, but not promoting it. My sense is that travel agents and internet forums have discouraged it because everyone knows these high-end, small ship cruises are designed for adults.

What I do have a problem with is what Silver Sea has done-- advertise in order to attract MORE children and babies, whether it be by offering discounts on the website or otherwise.  By offering these significant discounts you can be sure that the number of children/babies will be increased. (Indeed, I am not sure how long Silver Sea has been running these promotions on the web or through travel agents, but it is very possible that lots of bookings for kids could have already been made).

If there are materially more children/babies on the voyage(s) than there have been in the past, I simply will be forced to take my business elsewhere.

Well both my Moon sailings still have Kids for 1/2 price. 

I've still yet to sail on any SS cruise where Kids were a nuisance or misbehaving, so I'm certainly not adverse to seeing kids sailing. That said, the number of kids generally have been quite low in numbers and I'd certainly be concerned if the percentage increased to levels that larger groups of kids started running around and making the ship a playground. The day that happens and I see the continual push in that direction, then I'm afraid that will be the end for further bookings from me.

I had recently been told that RCI wanted SS because they liked the brand and wouldn't be changing it. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case. If this is going to be the target audience, how long before water slides and OAP rooms and nappies floating in the pool?

Edited by les37b

There really is no answer that will be applauded by everyone.Certainly I don't think an SS cruise is the right place for infants.I certainly don't think there should be a blanket ban on older children.We have met several older children on our SS cruises who have been a delight.

We did meet the Stumblefoots and the Silver Princess.Don't tell him but the only reason we keep talking to him is in hope of meeting the Silver Princess again😉

We ourselves have taken grandchildren of 10 and 13 on the Silver Explorer up the coast of West Africa.I know there were some not so nice thoughts at the start of the cruise but they were fully accepted after a few days-they even were in the successful Zodiac Rowing championships crew.It was an experience for them they will never forget.

It was on this cruise we really appreciated Dominic,now an Expedition leader,as our 10 year old was exhausted by most days activities and would be asleep by the end of dinner-Dominic would carry him back to his suite.

As has been said disruptive children are more a comment on the parents than the children.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

Don't tell him but the only reason we keep talking to him is in hope of meeting the Silver Princess again.

She’s trying awfully hard for the inaugural Moon crossing, Dr. Ron, but I’m steadfast in my opposition.  😁 If she finishes her degree early, maybe, just maybe, we’ll spend those university savings on a splurge trip to celebrate. 😉

In January 2021 there will be a Grand Voyage of 69-days on the Silver Moon. The same "Family Savings" promotion is listed for every segment of the Silver Moon 2021 Grand Voyage.

Many "World Cruisers" have decided that the 2021 World Cruise is too long for them as it is 150 days and have opted for the 2021 Silver Moon Grand Voyage of 69-days and other longer voyages. 

Once again, we implore Silversea not to promote "Family Savings" on Inaugurals and Grand Voyages. These trips are too long for such a promotion. Even the individual segments of the Grand Voyage are too long (21 days; 22 days; etc). 

As of this morning other than the removal of all segments of the 2020 World Cruise, all the others remain. 

11 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

Once again, we implore Silversea not to promote "Family Savings" on Inaugurals and Grand Voyages. These trips are too long for such a promotion. Even the individual segments of the Grand Voyage are too long (21 days; 22 days; etc). 

I appreciate your efforts on this matter, Capt F.  However, I think that your focus on length may be misplaced.  Is a single 22 day voyage different for a guest than a B2B totaling 22 days?  Moreover, if sales are slow, some of these longer segments you describe may be divided into shorter A&B segments as apparently is the case on at least one leg of the Shadow grand voyage.

I think this matter demands more than a piecemeal approach -- removing the incentive from this and that cruise.  I think that they should reconsider offering any such incentives at times other than June-August and Christmas holidays.  And I hope especially that the incentive would be entirely removed for sub-three year olds or that they would be barred from public areas such as the indoor restaurants, Panorama, Dolce Vita, etc.  

As always, the CC forum provides the opportunity to share a multitude of views as well as being educational.

Having spent two-decades experiencing multiple marketing approaches by Silversea and multiple management changes, many of us have experienced that when a single longer voyage became modified into an A/B booking the Guests that were unhappy were the ones who booked it before the change. IMO and experience this hasn't happened all that often and I'm not sure of the relevance + or - to children so I may be missing the point.

The longstanding Silversea children's policy has been and still is "For Classic Fleet voyages: Carrier is unable to accommodate children less than six (6) months of age..Guests must notify Carrier of any children between the ages of six (6) months and one (1) year who will be sailing onboard and they will require a signed and notarized waiver. Carrier reserves the right to limit the number of children less than three (3) years of age aboard the vessel."

The entire A/B voyage has similarly been the subject that annoyed many guests who booked the voyage before it became A/B and I suspect this is a topic for another forum. What I learned is that Guests who have booked e.g. a 21-day single voyage and subsequently found that it had become an A/B voyage have not been happy. Why, because on a small ship, friendships that have been made as well as unexpected reunions of guests previously travelled with are interrupted.

One of the reasons I believe that people have booked these type of segments is also to avoid the sometimes frantic turnover - including turnaround day and to enjoy the Silversea product uninterrpted. Petty things like deck chairs etc. all end up part of the issues after people have settled in.

My point about not actively promoting children on Inaugurals and Grand Voyages is not that they are longer in length, but that just like the World Cruise - they are "special" and attract what I consider to be the sophisticated traveller who knows the reputation of the Silversea brand and wants to be part of the Silversea experience whether it be a "grand opening" called an Inaugural; or a Grand Voyage and participate in the special events and ammenities planned to celebrate the Inaugural or the full Grand Voyage which have become a mini-version of the World Cruise.  

So i'm not trying to be piecemeal - but instead to use the "KISS" approach which Mark Conroy clearly stated was  "some selected holiday and summer cruises" where children should be expected anyway.

If you want to avoid children for whatever reason don't make a booking when you can reasonably anticipate that parents/grandparents together their children are able to travel together.

I think Silversea hears us loud and clear!!!

Edited by Capt.F
typo

My daughter is now an adult and loves cruising. When she was a child we always took her on P and O because they have night nurseries, childrens' clubs and a special childrens' tea earlier than the main dining rooms. There is NO WAY I would have taken her into either the MDR or a speciality restaurant until she was about 8 and knew how to behave. It simply isn't fair to others.

I am coming to Silversea as a new cruiser mainly because my OH no longer cruises and they are actually better value on low solo supplement voyages than paying 100% for a balcony on P and O's smaller ,more expensive ships like Aurora. And also because more and more people are taking screaming babies into P and O's restaurants. I booked a table at Epicurean which is their most upmarket speciality venue on my last cruise on a larger ship, onlt to find myself unable to enjoy what was otherwise an excellent meal due to the cutlery banging and shouting of a baby at 8.30 at night when said child should have been in bed! I complained, and got a similar attitude from the Maitre De; he deplored it but could do nothing about it.

So I may have to look at Viking or similar.

Edited by Clodia

17 minutes ago, Capt.F said:

My point about not actively promoting children on Inaugurals and Grand Voyages is not that they are longer in length, but that just like the World Cruise - they are "special" and attract what I consider to be the sophisticated traveller who knows the reputation of the Silversea brand and wants to be part of the Silversea experience whether it be a "grand opening" called an Inaugural; or a Grand Voyage and participate in the special events and ammenities planned to celebrate the Inaugural or the full Grand Voyage which have become a mini-version of the World Cruise.  

So i'm not trying to be piecemeal - but instead to use the "KISS" approach which Mark Conroy clearly stated was  "some selected holiday and summer cruises" where children should be expected anyway.

If you want to avoid children for whatever reason don't make a booking when you can reasonably anticipate that parents/grandparents together their children are able to travel together.

Let me once again thank you, Capt F, for dealing with SS management.  The above is of course only part of your post.

I understand that inaugurals and WCs/Grand Voyages are significant investments for many, but I would argue that all Silversea cruises should be considered "special," attracting sophisticated travelers who know the reputation of the Silversea brand and want to be part of the Silversea experience.  My personal preference would be to tighten the rules on children for all cruises -- and especially the rules pertaining to sub-3 year olds.

As for anticipating when children can travel:  I assume you are referring to when children would be in school.  The growth in home schooling means that an increasing number of children are not involved in the conventional school holiday schedule and could be expected to sail at any time.  What's more, infants and toddlers are at best in a child care setting -- not in formal schooling -- and it would be difficult to anticipate when such young children could travel.  

I think that "reasonable" anticipation about the presence of children (especially infants and toddlers) is difficult to make, and I wish Silversea would establish new, more restrictive policies (esp. as they related infants/toddlers) and remove the need to play a guessing/hoping game in booking cruises.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Observer said:

Let me once again thank you, Capt F, for dealing with SS management.  The above is of course only part of your post.

I understand that inaugurals and WCs/Grand Voyages are significant investments for many, but I would argue that all Silversea cruises should be considered "special," attracting sophisticated travelers who know the reputation of the Silversea brand and want to be part of the Silversea experience.  My personal preference would be to tighten the rules on children for all cruises -- and especially the rules pertaining to sub-3 year olds.

As for anticipating when children can travel:  I assume you are referring to when children would be in school.  The growth in home schooling means that an increasing number of children are not involved in the conventional school holiday schedule and could be expected to sail at any time.  What's more, infants and toddlers are at best in a child care setting -- not in formal schooling -- and it would be difficult to anticipate when such young children could travel.  

I think that "reasonable" anticipation about the presence of children (especially infants and toddlers) is difficult to make, and I wish Silversea would establish new, more restrictive policies (esp. as they related infants/toddlers) and remove the need to play a guessing/hoping game in booking cruises.

Agreed! It’s unfortunate that booking a cruise itinerary is complicated by the concern of having children and babies onboard.

We enjoy the Med in June and July and often combine a shorter cruise with a land vacation but are now reluctant to do so as it seems that families are booking more of the 7 night itineraries.  We had an unfortunate experience on Seabourn a couple of years ago where there were about 7 or 8 children in the 5 to 10 year age group who took over the pool deck and hot tubs- it certainly was not the relaxed ambience we were seeking.

Apparently Crystal offers a multi-generational cruise experience that has been successfully deployed- I wish that families would choose that line rather than SS or Seabourn.

• Like 1

Had to pop in and say that I have no doubt that Regent and Seabourn (probably not Crystal) will be happy to refer anyone that wants to travel with their babies/toddler/etc. to Silversea.  It could end up like when Seabourn still had smoking in suites........ it became a draw for smokers.  Now Silversea will be a draw for children since on these cruises there will be plenty of other children to play with.

Seriously though, I think that Silversea is shooting itself in the foot and it is sad.  We enjoyed our three Silversea cruises and were considering another one (on a newer ship) but, with this "promotion", think we'll stick with Regent.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Had to pop in and say that I have no doubt that Regent and Seabourn (probably not Crystal) will be happy to refer anyone that wants to travel with their babies/toddler/etc. to Silversea.  It could end up like when Seabourn still had smoking in suites........ it became a draw for smokers.  Now Silversea will be a draw for children since on these cruises there will be plenty of other children to play with.

Seriously though, I think that Silversea is shooting itself in the foot and it is sad.  We enjoyed our three Silversea cruises and were considering another one (on a newer ship) but, with this "promotion", think we'll stick with Regent.

I don’t know what Regent’s position is but Seabourn certainly accepts babies- we had them in the pool during our 14 day Caribbean cruise this past January.