Club Orange upgrade offer - on R class ship

DaveOKC

3 minutes ago, SVBing said:

Yes Neptune and Pinnacle is included in CO

Thanks. I'm on Zuiderdam this winter in a Neptune. Dinner could be strange because I ask for fixed dining time, large table. Oh well, I'll just have to see how it shakes out.

One more question. Did CO get a special breakfast menu?

7 hours ago, SVBing said:

Just off Oosterdam..... Forget it. Only perk was expedited seating dining room, 1 additional entre on menu, no designated seating area. Seated with regular diners, bit awkward 

So is breakfast for CO in the MDR, and are you seated with regular diners?

Roz

• 3 weeks later...

<bump>

Well, I've also been offered CO at $15 per diem on my upcoming cruise on Volendam in a couple of weeks.  Since I'm already 4*, my only benefit would likely be the extra entree on the MDR menu.  I don't really trust what their concept of an "upgraded" stateroom might be.

But I'm just off Amsterdam and it was my first cruise since implementation of CO.  I did find the priority CO line at Guest Services somewhat troubling.  I never really needed Guest Services except for obtaining my tip envelopes near the end (more on that bizarre experience later) so just waited for a slow time to do that.  However, on my cruise there were four (two couples) President's Club folks, numerous platinum-medallion holders and even more 5*s.  As we all know, the line at guest services can get pretty long sometimes.  JMO, but it seems wrong that the President's Club members and 5*s (who have spent dearly to achieve that status) have to stand in line while someone else -- who may be on their first HAL voyage -- can just wave their orange card and receive immediate attention.  Again, that's JMO so no flames please.

BTW, there was much discussion among us HAL "regulars" during the cruise about the CO concept.  But I never met another high-status (4* or 5*) cruiser on this cruise who had taken the CO bait.  Like me, they all seemed to feel that there was little perceived benefit over the perks that we already have.  Although just because I never encountered one doesn't mean that there might have been some that did.

Off subject, but my first attempt to obtain my tip envelopes was really strange.  I went to Guest Services as usual two days before the end and requested the five envelopes (stateroom stewards, fixed seating MDR stewards and wine steward).  The guy behind the desk handed me five regular #10 mailing envelopes.  I told him that I was sorry to be nonspecific, but what I was really requesting was the small tip envelopes.  I was shocked speechless by his reply:  "Oh, we don't do that any more.  The tips are included in your HSC".  I was so stunned that I just walked away.  I returned later when Guest Services was manned by others and obtained my tip envelopes.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Roz said:

So is breakfast for CO in the MDR, and are you seated with regular diners?

Roz

The breakfast menu in the MDR is the same breakfast menu served in the Pinnacle Grill.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DRPG-Breakfast-Menu.pdf

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The breakfast menu in the MDR is the same breakfast menu served in the Pinnacle Grill.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DRPG-Breakfast-Menu.pdf

I understand that.  My question wasn't about the menu.  I was wondering if there's a cordoned off, private area for CO.  I enjoyed breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill much more than the MDR because it was a smaller venue.  Just wondering, not a deal breaker.

7 hours ago, Roz said:

I understand that.  My question wasn't about the menu.  I was wondering if there's a cordoned off, private area for CO.  I enjoyed breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill much more than the MDR because it was a smaller venue.  Just wondering, not a deal breaker.

Reports so far say that CO passengers do not have a separate area in the MDR. They do have priority to get a table, though. 

33 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Reports so far say that CO passengers do not have a separate area in the MDR. They do have priority to get a table, though. 

Thank you,  Cunarder. 

On 8/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, RocketMan275 said:

CO on the Pinnacle class is like a fish bowl?  Then, what's the MDR like, an aquarium?  

If HAL wants to provide something special for suites customers like competitors, then they need to think big like converting the Tamarind to a suites only dining and lounge.

Whats wrong with Tamarind?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Nothing, but it would be a great place to convert to suites only dining and lounge.

RCCI, X, NCL all offer suites only dining and lounges.  HAL needs to upgrade to match.

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense as it’s only available on a few ships. If they are going to do that it needs to be on all the ships.

Why take away one of the nicest specialty dining venues from all?

they could have closed off some of the Crow’s Nest rather than destroy it with Explore Central, used a few cabins, whatever.  Face it, HAL is not going to do anything for suites.  At least it’s not the direction they are going.  The drinks (soda and alcohol) aren’t even free in the Neptune Lounge.  They have no direction when it comes to the suites IMO.

I agree with kazu. HAL has made no effort to enhance the Suite package in many years. They are already at the bottom of the ladder and are diluting it further by including formerly exclusive Suite perks in the Club Orange package. Maybe turning Neptune Suites into timeshares is their next plan. Who knows?...

10 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

No reports from passengers yet, but the website says Neptune and Pinnacle suites get CO perks except for the upgrade and "special event."  So that means yes, NS and PS should get the priority lines. 

I’ve never thought of it before until reading all this.  Will be more observant when we go on our cruise in a Neptune in a couple of months from now.  Maybe I’ll see at the customer service desk and stand in the Club Orange line and see what happens, lol!  

On 8/20/2019 at 7:28 PM, RuthC said:

Club Orange must not be selling well if the price has come down as it has. Even on the ships without a dedicated room, the price has now dropped from $35 per person, per day.
Time for Seattle to rethink this?

Exactly what I was thinking 

I've not heard much enthusiasm about it from 'cruisers'.

58 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Exactly what I was thinking 

I've not heard much enthusiasm about it from 'cruisers'.

We have't seen a lot of posts from people who bought CO (or got it via a Neptune suite) on the Vistas and smaller ships. Although I didn't care for the concept, I have to say there have been posters who liked CO on K'dam and NS, where there is a dedicated restaurant. There was a distinct improvement in food quality because of the on-site cooking. Whether that's enough to make the price worth it depends on what you're willing to pay for.

I think someone who liked CO on a Pinnacle class ship and then buys it on a non-Pinnacle ship is going to be VERY disappointed.  

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

On 9/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, Av8rix said:

<bump>

Off subject, but my first attempt to obtain my tip envelopes was really strange.  I went to Guest Services as usual two days before the end and requested the five envelopes (stateroom stewards, fixed seating MDR stewards and wine steward).  The guy behind the desk handed me five regular #10 mailing envelopes.  I told him that I was sorry to be nonspecific, but what I was really requesting was the small tip envelopes.  I was shocked speechless by his reply:  "Oh, we don't do that any more.  The tips are included in your HSC".  I was so stunned that I just walked away.  I returned later when Guest Services was manned by others and obtained my tip envelopes.

We always bring envelopes from home to place the tips in, did not realise that "tip envelopes" are available, thank you for the information.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Our Friends who are 4 Star was Sailing with us on the Amsterdam on August 12th Sailing.  We are on opposite schedules for Dining Times.  We do Late Seating and they normally do Early Seating.  We booked last minute and they were unable to get Early Seating and were Waitlisted which was 5:00 pm so were put in Open Seating.  

They asked the 2nd Night if they could make a Reservation for a few nights as they did in the past when in Open Seating.  They were told only at 5:15 or after 8 pm.

They told them they had Tables “in Reserve” and would not be able to accommodate them.  They like to dine alone and the one night they were put at an 8-top Table by themselves while smaller Tables around them were empty during their entire meal.  These were Tables “in Reserve “ for CO.  They dreaded going to the MDR on this Cruise and felt CO negatively affected their Dining experience.  

Maybe this works on Pinnacle Class Ships but on Ships with no dedicated space if it’s negatively going to impact other passengers...not such a good idea!

Also, the dedicated Club Orange line at Guest Services is so Carnival!  Only difference is Carnival at least had Diamonds/Platinums included in the Line along with FTTF where HAL has CO only.

Edited by idiebabe

On 9/11/2019 at 8:15 AM, Av8rix said:

Bolding  mine. 

On Prinsendam I requested tip envelopes (I needed a few more than I brought) and also was given regular #10 envelopes. When I was surprised the staff member told me that is what they use.

11 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Our Friends who are 4 Star was Sailing with us on the Amsterdam on August 12th Sailing.  We are on opposite schedules for Dining Times.  We do Late Seating and they normally do Early Seating.  We booked last minute and they were unable to get Early Seating and were Waitlisted which was 5:00 pm so were put in Open Seating.  

They asked the 2nd Night if they could make a Reservation for a few nights as they did in the past when in Open Seating.  They were told only at 5:15 or after 8 pm.

They told them they had Tables “in Reserve” and would not be able to accommodate them.  They like to dine alone and the one night they were put at an 8-top Table by themselves while smaller Tables around them were empty during their entire meal.  These were Tables “in Reserve “ for CO.  They dreaded going to the MDR on this Cruise and felt CO negatively affected their Dining experience.  

Maybe this works on Pinnacle Class Ships but on Ships with no dedicated space if it’s negatively going to impact other passengers...not such a good idea!

Also, the dedicated Club Orange line at Guest Services is so Carnival!  Only difference is Carnival at least had Diamonds/Platinums included in the Line along with FTTF where HAL has CO only.

Even before CO, I've been told the only reservation times in Open were 5:15 or 8:00, so we can't blame that on CO. But all those empty desirable 2-tops, that has got to annoy people. And putting two people alone at an 8 top is so awkward. Why didn't your friends take the 5:15 reservation if they like to do early seating? I would have done that just to avoid being alone in a sea of emptiness. 

Now that I think about it, I'm not surprised that they were reserving 2-tops for CO. On K'dam most of the tables were 2's and 4's. So I guess that's what they think passengers want. 

But it's sad that an accommodation couldn't be made for someone who is 4-star. On one of our QM2 crossings, we got late seating instead of early, so I stood in the change line, and when I got to the assistant Maitre D' I explained that we needed a 2-top early because of my husband's medical issues, he asked for my name and room number to check my existing reservation. I guess it also showed that I'm diamond on Cunard. He made the change, and when I thanked him, he said that they like to take good care of their Diamond passengers and he thanked me for being a long-time Cunard passengers and he said that Diamond passengers are very important to Cunard, etc etc. He was OTT with the sucking up,  and I don't know if being Diamond got my change done quickly, but I'm certain that he noticed the past-passenger status.