Dining Solo at the Horizon Steakhouse

Lyncoya

So, I'll be on the Horizon on Sept 7.  I'm going solo.  I was looking at pics of the Steakhouse and noticed they have a bar with stools.  May I eat at the bar in the steakhouse?

image.thumb.png.e66a7f523ddf06f8cf380903efbeb99d.png

Edited by Lyncoya

1 hour ago, MzShae said:

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but are you planning to do a review? Would love to know how it goes.

Yes ma'am, I will most definitely be doing a review. 🙂

• Like 1

Hi Lyncoya.  Why sit at the bar?  Get you a table and enjoy your meal!

I ate twice last December  solo on the Dream.  Had a nice glass of wine and great meal which I didn't rush but savor.

Doing the same in September on the Valor including dinner on my birthday. 

Nice to have a pre dinner drink but truly enjoy the dinner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, airlink diva said:

Hi Lyncoya.  Why sit at the bar?  Get you a table and enjoy your meal!

I ate twice last December  solo on the Dream.  Had a nice glass of wine and great meal which I didn't rush but savor.

Doing the same in September on the Valor including dinner on my birthday. 

Nice to have a pre dinner drink but truly enjoy the dinner.

I travel solo a lot, and I eat at a table (even at home) I just prefer sitting at the bar.  I may just take your advice this time though.  Thank you! ❤️ 

I may be going on the Breeze next month solo as my sister may not be able to cruise due to a medical procedure.  I've cruised solo 4 times and really enjoyed the me-time, but I am still uncomfortable eating alone - weird I know.  I don't mind eating breakfast on the Lido while reading on my Kindle or while watching a download on my phone, but I just haven't been able to go to the dining room.  I typically make a plate on the Lido at lunch and dinner & bring it back to the cabin to eat on the balcony.  

I have anytime dining, so maybe I'll give the MDR a shot this time.  

I've eaten solo in the steakhouse but not at the bar.  I've been single for a long time and once DD became an adult with her own life, I started sailing solo most of the time since my friends are all married and tend to want to vacation with their husbands.  Silly girls! 😋  I have absolutely no qualms about dining solo.  Do it all the time on land and at sea.

OP, I'll look for your review to see what your steakhouse experience is like.

• Like 3

We were in a large group and while on the cruise part of our group was going to the SH and a couple during the cruise decided they wanted to join us.  First tried to get added and they said they could not accommodate them, then asked if they could eat at the bar and were denied as well.  Not sure if this was due to being at capacity or a policy....   that said, we have seen singles eating in the SH often. 

Edited by jimbo5544

Thanks everyone.  This is my third solo cruise (Divorced empty nester), I dine solo all the time.  I've even done the Chef's table and other specialty restaurants solo.  I'm not sure why dining at the steakhouse solo makes me a bit uneasy.  I'm going to take some of your advice and get a table though.

I'll be back with a review. 🙂

Edited by Lyncoya
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lyncoya said:

Thanks everyone.  This is my third solo cruise (Divorced empty nester), I dine solo all the time.  I've even done the Chef's table and other specialty restaurants solo.  I'm not sure why dining at the steakhouse solo makes me a bit uneasy.  I'm going to take some of your advice and get a table though.

I'll be back with a review. 🙂

I'm thinking you'll be best served at a table.  I've probably dined solo in various Carnival Steakhouses a dozen times, but I'm a guy and experience it a bit differently than women do.

• Like 1

I have cruised solo a few times. (Also, emtpy nester and single.) Last cruise was my first reservation at steakhouse made with the understanding that some CC roll call members wanted to be included. Although I left a note reminder at their cabin. They did not show. I ate alone at a table but the table was very close to another couple who were only on their first course and we had nice dinner conversation. I wouldn't hesitate to do this again. I am all for solo dining or anything else.  Traveling to NYC in Sept for 3 nights before Sunrise cruise. My first trip there and I am really looking forward to it and the east coast itenirary. 

On Vista I ate alone in the steakhouse at a table for two. I usually go there early though. They probably only had 1-3 other tables in use when I ate there. I know you aren't asking about the MDR but I'll throw this out there. The YTD MDR had a bar on Vista and I did sit there. I liked it.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We were in a large group and while on the cruise part of our group was going to the SH and a couple during the cruise decided they wanted to join us.  First tried to get added and they said they could not accommodate them, then asked if they could eat at the bar and were denied as well.  Not sure if this was due to being at capacity or a policy....   that said, we have seen singles eating in the SH often. 

Jimbo this only happens when there is no financial interest in the operation. A private restaurant would never turn away paying customers. There might be a wait but you will get seated. Why would you not serve someone in the bar if it had empty seats, makes no sense. Hostess on a power trip. As I  have previously stated we have gone to the Steakhouse several times without reservations and have always been sat.

8 hours ago, sc4125 said:

I may be going on the Breeze next month solo as my sister may not be able to cruise due to a medical procedure.  I've cruised solo 4 times and really enjoyed the me-time, but I am still uncomfortable eating alone - weird I know.  I don't mind eating breakfast on the Lido while reading on my Kindle or while watching a download on my phone, but I just haven't been able to go to the dining room.  I typically make a plate on the Lido at lunch and dinner & bring it back to the cabin to eat on the balcony.  

I have anytime dining, so maybe I'll give the MDR a shot this time.  

You can asked to be seated with others in the MDR.  It is done all the time.

I'll be cruising solo on the Horizon exactly one month from today, and have reservations for the Steakhouse, Jiji Asian, Bonsai Teppanyaki, Cucina del Capitano, and the Chef's Table... Photos and Live Review will be incoming...

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, coevan said:

Jimbo this only happens when there is no financial interest in the operation. A private restaurant would never turn away paying customers. There might be a wait but you will get seated. Why would you not serve someone in the bar if it had empty seats, makes no sense. Hostess on a power trip. As I  have previously stated we have gone to the Steakhouse several times without reservations and have always been sat.

I have to admit it is head scratching at times.... your point on no financial interest is an interesting one.

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

On Vista I ate alone in the steakhouse at a table for two. I usually go there early though. They probably only had 1-3 other tables in use when I ate there. I know you aren't asking about the MDR but I'll throw this out there. The YTD MDR had a bar on Vista and I did sit there. I liked it.

WE have never done YTD, and I always felt cheated about that bar.  Did you sit there for a drink before seating?

Edited by jimbo5544

59 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I'll be cruising solo on the Horizon exactly one month from today, and have reservations for the Steakhouse, Jiji Asian, Bonsai Teppanyaki, Cucina del Capitano, and the Chef's Table... Photos and Live Review will be incoming...

I have reservations at them all too.  I did the same on my solo cruise on the Sunshine last year.  I had a ball.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

WE have never done YTD, and I always felt cheated about that bar.  Did you sit there for a drink before seating?

A few times we were asked to wait at the bar as they got a table ready, 10 tables were empty and set. My wife the chef said shhhhhh. We were at the bar less than 10 minutes and were sat.

• Like 1

.I think you should be able to eat at the bar, I believe I did it on the Breeze. My friend had a little too much to drink on the day we were going to the steakhouse. I went to her cabin, no answer then figured she went to the Steakhouse but she wasn't there either, tried calling and no answer. So I told the hostess and asked if I could eat at the bar instead and was told no problem- Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emm126 said:

.I think you should be able to eat at the bar, I believe I did it on the Breeze. My friend had a little too much to drink on the day we were going to the steakhouse. I went to her cabin, no answer then figured she went to the Steakhouse but she wasn't there either, tried calling and no answer. So I told the hostess and asked if I could eat at the bar instead and was told no problem- Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lucy and ethel said:

I'm doing my first solo cruise in January and am looking forward to it.  My suggestion for you is to try a 555 drink, you can only get it at the steak house and it was wonderful.  A great "sipping" drink!

Wow thanks!  I've never even heard of it, but I will be sure to try it.  Thanks again!