Smart shorts

scubadiverswife

41 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know that Bermuda is the only place in the world where Bermuda Shorts is the national dressfor men. The formal shorts are tailored as suit trousers and must be no more than 3 inches above the knee.

Mr Google provided the above answer, of course he could be wrong, it does also state that they should be worn with a Jacket and tie. 

and long hose socks.

1 hour ago, Ataraxia said:

Having lived in Bermuda for a number of years I can tell you that you are mistaken.

I stand corrected but as you well know this post is about wearing shorts in the MDR and regardless of whether its an accepted form of dress in Bermuda, it isn't on a P&O ship in the MDR. The reason for that is probably down to the fact that those wearing them would most likely turn up in shorts they had been lying about in all day as opposed to wearing them with a blazer, shirt and tie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I can handle hairy legs, but what gets me is the women (not seen any men do it yet) who feel it is okay to take their shoes off and put their feet up.  I do not want to be looking at your bare feet, let alone sit where they have been!

I bet you would see men do it if they were wearing the same shoes as women do, especially in the evening. 

5 hours ago, chrisg1uk said:

Oh so true.  Have seen some passengers work them selves right up over it.  So funny.

So the "I want to slob about and proclaim its my holiday and I'll wear what I want!" brigade don't get themselves worked up about it?

Now that I do find funny especially when they get turned around at the MDR.

Edited by dgs1956

I have seen immaculately tailored evening Bermuda shorts,with a dinner jacket  long socks and patent leather evening pumps of course, at Glyndebourne. If they satisfy the dress code there, then I can’t imagine how they would transgress the dress code on P&O. 

Rp

2 minutes ago, rosepark said:

I have seen immaculately tailored evening Bermuda shorts,with a dinner jacket  long socks and patent leather evening pumps of course, at Glyndebourne. If they satisfy the dress code there, then I can’t imagine how they would transgress the dress code on P&O. 

Rp

P&O isn't Glynebourne. Glynebourne isn't P&O. 

Each establishment has its own dress code. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgs1956 said:

I stand corrected but as you well know this post is about wearing shorts in the MDR and regardless of whether its an accepted form of dress in Bermuda, it isn't on a P&O ship in the MDR. The reason for that is probably down to the fact that those wearing them would most likely turn up in shorts they had been lying about in all day as opposed to wearing them with a blazer, shirt and tie.

This post is about being accepted in the main dining room whilst wearing shorts. I am sure that if someone turns up in a jacket and tie with tailored shorts, long hose socks and shoes they will be allowed in.

47 minutes ago, Ataraxia said:

This post is about being accepted in the main dining room whilst wearing shorts. I am sure that if someone turns up in a jacket and tie with tailored shorts, long hose socks and shoes they will be allowed in.

Good luck with that. 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:31 AM, chrisg1uk said:

Personally I really don't mind what other folk wear but P&O ask for no shorts in the MDR and several bars.   Slowly but surely the dress code is becoming less strict and my guess is that it won't be long before shorts are accepted.  That would upset a lot of people but please many others.   To my mind P&O are trying hard to keep the dining rooms smart and not allowing shorts is an easy distinction for the staff to make.  If they for example allowed "smart tailored" shorts then already over busy staff will immediately  face more confrontation as customers push the new limits over what constitutes smart, how much their shorts cost (irrelevant) etc etc.  I feel very sorry for the staff as it is with some passengers deliberately pushing the current advice P&O give.   If you are to have a dress code then either enforce it properly or scrap it completely, I don't mind.          

I agree 100%, enforce it totally or abolish it.   

11 hours ago, Denarius said:

Certainly isn't. Glynebourne is much more exclusive!

I have travelled on many cruise lines, but never Glynebourne line, please enlighten this 'colonial.'😮

Edited by NSWP

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

I have travelled on many cruise lines, but never Glynebourne line, please enlighten this 'colonial.'😮

Glyndebourne isn't a cruise line, but an opera festival held in the grounds of an English country house, where those who attend are expected to dress up to the nines.

11 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Glyndebourne isn't a cruise line, but an opera festival held in the grounds of an English country house, where those who attend are expected to dress up to the nines.

I may be wrong but I think NSWP was making a joke.

23 hours ago, Ataraxia said:

The Black Tie dress code states that formal national dress may also be worn. It does not say that it must be your own national dress, that (for example) you must be able to prove that you are Scottish to wear a kilt. So if formal dress shorts rather than longs are regarded as national dress in Bemuda they should be accepted onboard, even if you do not hail from Bemuda.

I often wear a formal bolo tie instead of a bow tie with my dinner suit, and I do not hail from Texas, Arizona or New Mexico!

• Absolutely! Except for one small point, the dress code as you well know specifically states "no shorts". As regards the Bermuda National Dress does that mean the English could wear Union Jack shorts, vest, knotted hankie and flip flops or is that just confined to Benidorm. Mind you there are plenty that compare P&O with Benidorm (Not me!), so maybe that's what people want. Just joking of course!

9 minutes ago, dgs1956 said:
  • Absolutely! Except for one small point, the dress code as you well know specifically states "no shorts". As regards the Bermuda National Dress does that mean the English could wear Union Jack shorts, vest, knotted hankie and flip flops or is that just confined to Benidorm. Mind you there are plenty that compare P&O with Benidorm (Not me!), so maybe that's what people want. Just joking of course!

That's for Brish night on Fred Olsen, stop confusing the lines🤣

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FangedRose said:

I may be wrong but I think NSWP was making a joke.

Actually, I don't think he was. Not that many Australians (or indeed any nationality) would know about an obscure English opera festival.

At the end of the day P & O clearly state what the required level of dress is for the MDRs and certain bars around their ships on any given day.  People who are not prepared to adhere to this should not book a cruise with P & O.  I am getting tired of people trying to change things to suit themselves.  Please let those of us, that do like to dress appropriately and take pride in our appearance, enjoy our evenings in the environment and ambience that P & O try to maintain.

• Like 5