Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Heronymous

9/1 Breakaway Terminating in New Orleans

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Heronymous said:

Ahh thank you for that. When I get home I have to make sure I check the process for the full refund they're supposed to give on the B2B they cancelled. 

For the cancelled cruise refund, it will go on the credit card used in the payment amounts made:  deposit, final payment, etc.  That should be processed fairly quickly.  If you booked with a travel agent the refund may go back to them first.

 

I bet the crew is having a big party on the Breakaway about now!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those interested about cars at the port. (at least I can confirm Port Canaveral 100%)

 

The port is closed because it's actually on a barrier island and still under a mandatory evacuation.  Basically that means the entire port is closed.

 

I made a trip down there to try and get a friends car out of the garage pre-storm, but it was a ghost town.  Only Sheriff's were around and we were not able to access anything "inside the fence" of the port.  We headed back home unsuccessful but the port authority posted a message about this on their site this morning.  When the evacuation notice is lifted, the port should open back up.

 

Hope this helps someone.  We made the trip from Tampa but that's what friends do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike_DeA said:

 

Perfection? No.  But to be brought back to a port 1,000 miles from where you were scheduled to be?  That's a bit unexpected and I don't blame passengers for being upset.  It's not like they've been told they will be provided transportation back to Miami (if that's where they need/want to go).  Everyone has been on their own up to this point.

You do realize New Orleans is the closest port other than the east coast and any moron would know that is not a good choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Maybe I'm a bit more easy going than some people or maybe I just haven't had to deal with a lot of these types of cruise issue but I think that I could deal with these problems if it meant I didn't have to sail/dock/disembark in a Cat 5 hurricane.

 

 

Yeah wouldn’t we hear some bitching then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

You do realize New Orleans is the closest port other than the east coast and any moron would know that is not a good choice.

Thanks for sharing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

You do realize New Orleans is the closest port other than the east coast and any moron would know that is not a good choice.

actually the closet port would of been Mobile, AL . it is a port that NCL never sailed to so that might be why they did not select it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

actually the closet port would of been Mobile, AL . it is a port that NCL never sailed to so that might be why they did not select it.

 

 

The port is way too small and the whole picture is not good.  The fantasy (carnival) is the size ship that can sail from there. I didn’t even mention Mobile because that was not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

For the cancelled cruise refund, it will go on the credit card used in the payment amounts made:  deposit, final payment, etc.  That should be processed fairly quickly.  If you booked with a travel agent the refund may go back to them first.

 

I bet the crew is having a big party on the Breakaway about now!

 

 

Our stewards said they may get the evenings off but they are going to be working during the day.  The Breakaway is almost out of the Mississippi River now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Maybe I'm a bit more easy going than some people or maybe I just haven't had to deal with a lot of these types of cruise issue but I think that I could deal with these problems if it meant I didn't have to sail/dock/disembark in a Cat 5 hurricane.

well you have the right attitude. Of course those affected by all these changes are frustrated but they are safe, they will avoid the hurricane and life doesn't always go smoothly. I think all the cruise lines have done the best they can. Do the cruisers not think NCL is going out of their minds with this as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

well you have the right attitude. Of course those affected by all these changes are frustrated but they are safe, they will avoid the hurricane and life doesn't always go smoothly. I think all the cruise lines have done the best they can. Do the cruisers not think NCL is going out of their minds with this as well?

When pax are in the "me" mode common sense doesn't prevail. It has become "I need to be taken care of now".  Everyone on all ships stranded are in the same situation.

 

If they think it's been crazy now wait until they try to get a flight if they haven't yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

When pax are in the "me" mode common sense doesn't prevail. It has become "I need to be taken care of now".  Everyone on all ships stranded are in the same situation.

 

If they think it's been crazy now wait until they try to get a flight if they haven't yet.

I don't even want to think about that!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

You do realize New Orleans is the closest port other than the east coast and any moron would know that is not a good choice.

They could have waited out the storm at sea, then returned to Miami yesterday (Tuesday).  It wouldn't have been later than today (Wed.) that POM would have reopened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike_DeA said:

They could have waited out the storm at sea, then returned to Miami yesterday (Tuesday).  It wouldn't have been later than today (Wed.) that POM would have reopened.

I think the stalled storm forced their hand.  No one knew when it was going to move off Grand Bahama....it sat for 48 hours...

 

Hindsight is always crystal clear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I think the stalled storm forced their hand.  No one knew when it was going to move off Grand Bahama....it sat for 48 hours...

 

Hindsight is always crystal clear.  

All of the forecast predicted the storm would pick up speed but I agree that there was no clear direction.  I've been on a hurricane extended cruise (2004 - Frances, two extra days) and would much prefer being returned to the same port.  But not always an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

All of the forecast predicted the storm would pick up speed but I agree that there was no clear direction.  I've been on a hurricane extended cruise (2004 - Frances, two extra days) and would much prefer being returned to the same port.  But not always an option.

No doubt, MIA would have better for all involved..especially those who drove to the Port.  

 

I'm sailing Sept 23...flying to Port Everglades from ATL....fingers crossed.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, CharmCity2000 said:

 

I don't know what I would do if we were stranded for more days than I had medication for.

 

Perhaps once the delay is announced, take 1/2 doses till you can get another supply?  Many meds build up in the body, so a small change in dosage would be better than going completely without.  Check with you PCP about your particular med. to see if this can be done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jonnychoc said:

For those interested about cars at the port. (at least I can confirm Port Canaveral 100%)

 

The port is closed because it's actually on a barrier island and still under a mandatory evacuation.  Basically that means the entire port is closed.

 

I made a trip down there to try and get a friends car out of the garage pre-storm, but it was a ghost town.  Only Sheriff's were around and we were not able to access anything "inside the fence" of the port.  We headed back home unsuccessful but the port authority posted a message about this on their site this morning.  When the evacuation notice is lifted, the port should open back up.

 

Hope this helps someone.  We made the trip from Tampa but that's what friends do!

 

Tips for parking at the port during hurricane season:

 

1) gas up before parking.  75% of MIA and FLL gas stations were out of gas when we returned to MIA port last Saturday 8/31.  Best to have a full tank starting that ride home!

 

2) Park on site, in a covered garage, preferably towards the interior spaces on a mid level floor.  You can avoid flooding issues and damage fro wind driven debris if a storm crops up while you are away.  Forget the off site one level open air lots, even if you can save a few bucks, it may not be worth it.

 

JMO, YMMV

Edited by evandbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw NCL on CNN with Breakaway passengers in NO saying how horrible NCL handle the whole thing, not good PR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, evandbob said:

 

Perhaps once the delay is announced, take 1/2 doses till you can get another supply?  Many meds build up in the body, so a small change in dosage would be better than going completely without.  Check with you PCP about your particular med. to see if this can be done.

 

Appreciate the thought.  ADHD meds however only stay in your system for 4-12 hours depending upon the dosage.  As it is, my son has to take a booster pill around 3pm every day.  There is no half life build up in his system from meds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the passengers had every right to complain. To drop you off in an unfamiliar port and say change your flight and we will pay you back later is crazy. I can just imagine explaining that to an airline agent. All of the other ships waited this out and are bringing the passengers back to their original port.  

To me it looks like NCL was tired of feeding the passengers and dropped them off. They had to go back to Miami anyway. Did they offer to let them stay and wait. If not why not?  I can see letting the passengers off in NO that wanted to get off but the rest I just can’t figure out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

Just saw NCL on CNN with Breakaway passengers in NO saying how horrible NCL handle the whole thing, not good PR.

what would you expect from CNN news. they certainly wouldn't let the world know something might be good. They would search all over for the negative.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 11:16 PM, BirdTravels said:

There is also the PVSA which prevents them from doing what the are doing without fines. 

Breakaway stopped in several foreign ports before coming in.  But other cruises did end up as "cruises to nowhere" and I am guessing they will apply for and be granted waivers for the storm.

 

17 hours ago, herdingdogmom said:

...

I bet the crew is having a big party on the Breakaway about now!

I bet there is a lot of cleaning, maintenance and mandatory training going on.  And a party or three.

 

16 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

You do realize New Orleans is the closest port other than the east coast and any moron would know that is not a good choice.

I cannot guess why they decided to go to New Orleans at the same time they canceled this week's cruise, but they may have felt that provisions were not up to 2 weeks standard and they may have been feeling pressure from people to find a way for them to go home.  they chose New Orleans because they recently had this ship based there and know how to handle the logistics and could fly a land crew there ahead to be ready who was already familiar with the port.

 

34 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

Just saw NCL on CNN with Breakaway passengers in NO saying how horrible NCL handle the whole thing, not good PR.

I am dissecting this report and there are some inconsistencies and missing information.  I don't believe that people did not know they were being disembarked. That's silly. There were notes in cabins explaining this and that they needed to pack.

I believe this situation was for people choosing to take charter flights back to Miami only.  They needed to be kept in an area where they could not wander off creating a nightmare for NCL to get them to the airport.  Was it 2 hours? or 6 hours?  They did bring in sandwiches.  How long?  Was there really no water?  Medicine - responsibility of each person.  If they had a medical problem, they should have talked to the ship before arriving about their situation.  I believe anyone making independent arrangements was able to go through immigration and customs and head on out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a hard time for everyone involved and I can see it's very hard to meet the needs of the 4k plus people on the ship and the 4k+ looking to board on the first. Being asked to disembark at short notice in a strange place sounds like a nightmare. That said my daughter was going on the Sept 1 trip. Trying to get accurate information and make a plan was impossible because NCL seemed to be waiting for the last minute compared to RCCL and Carnival. The size of the ship and number of passengers also make these emergencies much harder to resolve. I cruised on the breakaway when it was new in NYC, after that I have switched to the smaller 600 or so passenger ships like Silver Shadow or Regent Navigator. If a problem comes you have a chance at some personal help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

what would you expect from CNN news. they certainly wouldn't let the world know something might be good. They would search all over for the negative.  

What’s good about it?  This is all on NCL. Time after time after time, NCL had the opportunity to do the right thing.  They failed, time after time after time.

 

Don’t blame the messenger for giving you the information about what happened.  They didn’t have to search for the bad news.  It’s right  in front of us.

Edited by graphicguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...