stateroom steward and anytime dining tipping

jmadams

13 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Great idea! 

We usually bring Filipino telephone cards with us on the cruises as gifts, because we almost always have a Filipino cabin steward (and often other service people); my wife was the one who thought of this, because she always asks the steward (and a lot of the other service personnel) in Tagalog how long since they've been back home, etc.  We buy the cards in a local Filipino grocery store here in Vegas (which has a huge Filipino population).  They are good worldwide, but they are packaged for the Philippines.  

I just tip cash the $ is the leader in gift cards. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, antsp said:

I just tip cash the $ is the leader in gift cards. 

I agree.  I think the OP is going to tip, but was wondering about the suggestion of a "gift" gift.  If in doubt, extra cash is always appreciated  🙂 

6 hours ago, jmadams said:

OK you guys are really clearing things up for me and yes it is my first cruise. I probably should have just asked how much cash to bring.  I really don’t know what standard tipping protocol is on cruising.   At a hotel I plan on tipping daily.   I will let my Stewart know that family members are in the cabin next door. I’m going to ask them to open up the balcony.

When do you guys use cash on the ship? 

I read some people bring gifts to leave their Stewart’s. I am doing a mid October Cabo cruise, so Halloween/Day of the Dead is coming up. 

Stewart appreciates cash not trinkets.  😉

They have limited space as crew members.

We never bribe up front. Any additional tips over the auto gratuity are given at the end of the cruise. 😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Great idea! 

We usually bring Filipino telephone cards with us on the cruises as gifts, because we almost always have a Filipino cabin steward (and often other service people); my wife was the one who thought of this, because she always asks the steward (and a lot of the other service personnel) in Tagalog how long since they've been back home, etc.  We buy the cards in a local Filipino grocery store here in Vegas (which has a huge Filipino population).  They are good worldwide, but they are packaged for the Philippines.  

Cash is king. 

• Like 3

At last count a room steward services about 19 cabins twice a day.   Chances are good that adjacent cabins will have the same steward.

Regarding cash:  We bring cash mostly to use on shore, especially in the Caribbean,  Tips for guides, extra for outstanding service (like saving me from drowning), cash for small vendors selling souvenirs.

The big exception to this is cash for tipping Princess employees for outstanding service onboard.  We always keep the auto-tip (a.k.a. Hotel Charge) on.   The cash is  used end-of-cruise, with envelope having our cabin number and name on it (they turn this in and then get it back when the cruise accounting is finished and the auto-tip was verified).  With rare exception our steward will deserve extra - they are great, and over the years we've learned what is normal excellent service and what is outstanding  (one of the outstanding was a steward who we rarely saw but had anticipated ALL of our needs).

There is a place on the room service receipt when they make a delivery for you to write in a tip, which goes to your onboard account (no cash needed).

I bring a sack of snack candy.  Every day I leave a piece along with a couple of bucks and a thank you note for something they have done be it a towel animal, keeping my cooler filled with ice, leaving two Daily Planners, any special request fulfilled or even just keeping our cabin so neat and clean.  If they don't want the candy, I'll bet they have a friend that does (lol).  

Another thing I do if I am going ashore and it is convenient is to ask them if there is anything I can get for them.  They may want a favorite snack or a specific brand of toothpaste.  The best thing you can do besides leave money is to give them a positive review on the exit survey you may get.  That gets them promotions and time off and is just about appreciated as much as money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tucker in Texas said:

....  The best thing you can do besides leave money is to give them a positive review on the exit survey you may get.  That gets them promotions and time off and is just about appreciated as much as money.

Yes... this!  DO make a note of those crew member's names if they are doing an outstanding job. Then mention them by name in the post cruise survey  and / or fill out the forms available at customer service  to commend staff on a job well done. Whenever we have given extra tips to any of the crew, they will always mention to be sure that we make not of our pleasure in the survey or the commendation forms. It seems that is worth more to them than extra tips....

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Potstech said:

Want to give them a gift?  Give them a calling card that can be used to make International Calls. No storage needed and they can call their families when they get the chance. This was from several crew members we have meet on excursions.

These days crew members communicate with their families via Internet, often on a daily basis. On the ship they get Internet at rates significantly lower than passengers pay. In port, those that can go ashore head for places with free internet.

As others have said, get to know your cabin steward and waiters. Cash is important to them because the one big expense they have onboard is the internet. They have to pay approximately $60 a month and that is their link to family back home. We also like to add a personal touch by learning simple phrases to say to them. On our recent cruise that phrase was for the Filipino staff. It is, "Maraming Salamat Po", which means "Thank you very much". Sometimes I think that when I say these phrases in my southern drawl that their smile is a laugh at my pronunciation but I enjoy talking with them. Also the staff has started reminding guests that answering the email survey and listing their names and work areas provides them with a greater chance of promotions and pay raises.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your responses. When I go to a Disney park, I make some thank you envelopes and pre-stuff them with tips before I leave home.  I’ll do the same thing this time!   I will also grab a bunch of thank you cards for my family and I to fill out.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, caribill said:

These days crew members communicate with their families via Internet, often on a daily basis. On the ship they get Internet at rates significantly lower than passengers pay. In port, those that can go ashore head for places with free internet.

Calling cards are worthless these days.

The crew get unlimited internet service for $60 per month & does video calls home each day.

• Like 1

I have a question.....now that you can order a hamburger, drink or whatever from  wherever you are, do you tip? I know the bartenders and waiters that walk around add tips to the ticket. But what about the one who brings you the hamburger, will they be adding a tip on to that. My  first Medallion cruise  coming up and I’m not sure what to do. 

51 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Calling cards are worthless these days.

The crew get unlimited internet service for $60 per month & does video calls home each day.

So say you.  But others say differently as they are still available.

1 hour ago, Grammyluvs said:

I have a question.....now that you can order a hamburger, drink or whatever from  wherever you are, do you tip? I know the bartenders and waiters that walk around add tips to the ticket. But what about the one who brings you the hamburger, will they be adding a tip on to that. My  first Medallion cruise  coming up and I’m not sure what to do. 

If you order a drink, the 18% gratuity will be added to the price - wherever and however you purchase it on the ship. If you order food, the gratuity is covered by the hotel charge.

1 hour ago, Grammyluvs said:

A friend of mine gave a Wal Mart gift card as an extra tip to her steward. I know they do go to Wal Mart’s as I have seen them in there. Just a thought

Kind of difficult for them to get to Walmart when there is not one within an hour or more  drive one way from some ports.

Tips should be always cash.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

So say you.  But others say differently as they are still available.

The cards are available & I suppose a crew member could use one if they don't purchase the unlimited internet package.

Most do buy subscribe from what I understand. It beats the best price they can get using any card.

11 hours ago, Talisi said:

We also like to add a personal touch by learning simple phrases to say to them. On our recent cruise that phrase was for the Filipino staff. It is, "Maraming Salamat Po", which means "Thank you very much". 

You are right, talking to the staff in Tagalog makes them very happy.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grammyluvs said:

A friend of mine gave a Wal Mart gift card as an extra tip to her steward. I know they do go to Wal Mart’s as I have seen them in there. Just a thought

Walmart, if there even is one - think international, isn't very close to most of the ports of call. Cash is the way to go. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It often isn't but they could still mail the card home.

Home to where? Walmart isn't in every country and city in all the places where crew call home. Also, how would you use a US$ gift card in a country where the US$ is not the currency?

Cash is the way to go.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, skynight said:

Home to where? Walmart isn't in every country and city in all the places where crew call home. Also, how would you use a US$ gift card in a country where the US$ is not the currency?

Cash is the way to go.

Sure cash is the preferred way but if you have a Walmart card that was gifted to you & wanted to re-gift it there's probably not a country around that doesn't have a Walmart - Philippines, UK,  Ukraine. 

And if they don't have a Walmart in their country they can always sell it to one of their coworkers who does.

We prefer tips of other nature besides/addition to cash which are always appreciated.

• Haha 1