Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Andy

Celebrity Press Release (9/20/19) New Ad Campaign: 'Wonder Awaits"

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, sippican said:

Because the song gets people talking about it over, and over, and over .............   (even the whiners who are complaining about the duplication are playing right into their hands, lol! )

  Smart marketing!

 

It's only 'smart marketing' for the folks who support using an established 'drug song' to push their product and who might be reliving their youth.  Not smart trying to reach new cruisers who are offended by a company presenting a marketing ploy which COULD influence their children in an already markedly drug overloaded society.  And if those same people are turning the channel as soon as the melody starts and are annoyed with the 'repetition' (duplication?), there's no successful way to bring them in with a dream sequence of what Celebrity offers.  JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

It's only 'smart marketing' for the folks who support using an established 'drug song' to push their product and who might be reliving their youth.  Not smart trying to reach new cruisers who are offended by a company presenting a marketing ploy which COULD influence their children in an already markedly drug overloaded society.  And if those same people are turning the channel as soon as the melody starts and are annoyed with the 'repetition' (duplication?), there's no successful way to bring them in with a dream sequence of what Celebrity offers.  JMHO.

So apparently you will not cruise Celebrity because of this ad?  Is that what you are saying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

It's only 'smart marketing' for the folks who support using an established 'drug song' to push their product and who might be reliving their youth.  Not smart trying to reach new cruisers who are offended by a company presenting a marketing ploy which COULD influence their children in an already markedly drug overloaded society.  And if those same people are turning the channel as soon as the melody starts and are annoyed with the 'repetition' (duplication?), there's no successful way to bring them in with a dream sequence of what Celebrity offers.  JMHO.

 

Most of the youinger generation has no idea that it is a drug-related song. I am very doubtful that the song in an ad is going to influence cruisers' children into the drug culture. Did you ever read your children Alice in Wonderland?

As someone who grew up with "Go Ask Alice" I was not encouraged to take drugs as a result of the song. The song brings back very pleasurable memories. I was very successful and did not drift through my life in a drug-induced state. Rather than turn the channel, I turn it up.

Surely, you are not their target audience. 

Edited by sippican

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read cruise critic in the 6 months prior to a cruise, so I’m not always looking at these boards. I’d never seen anything about this song, not would I ever have a reason to search for it here, so I’m glad the op brought it up. I love the song, always have, and love the book Go Ask Alice. It is surprising that Celebrity chose it for a theme song. Their target market is obviously for those waaaay younger who don’t associate the song with anything, except Alice in Wonderland perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago RCs tag song was "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop. Catchy upbeat song and then some starting whining about that song once they understood the meaning. 🙄 This ad will also go away with time like all of them do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dunmore2 said:

 Their target market is obviously for those waaaay younger who don’t associate the song with anything, except Alice in Wonderland perhaps.

 

And how many associate the book Alice in Wonderland with drugs (magic mushrooms and hookah smoking cats)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So apparently you will not cruise Celebrity because of this ad?  Is that what you are saying?

Really don't want to keep this going...but...we're E+ and loyal to X...like some have said, a song won't influence us one way or another, but given the epidemic drug culture prevalent in the US, one might think more carefully before promoting a drug culture reference in their marketing...and...young people are a much more in tune with lyrics (given rap etc) than you're giving them credit for.  There are SOME young people who wouldn't necessarily even watch TV, never mind a commercial, but might overhear this, pay attention to the words, and would think this an endorsement of a hip, rad, woke...pick a word depending on generation, LOL....lifestyle.  Again JMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sippican said:

 

And how many associate the book Alice in Wonderland with drugs (magic mushrooms and hookah smoking cats)?

 

Probably not many. It was an anthropomorphic fantasy so you could ignore some of that.

 

Most people today probably don't realize how common exotic imported substances, not always ports and sherries, were in Victorian England. Sherlock Holmes was a cocaine addict in the books, although that's 30 years after Alice in Wonderland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

A few years ago RCs tag song was "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop. Catchy upbeat song and then some starting whining about that song once they understood the meaning. 🙄 This ad will also go away with time like all of them do. 

 

I'm waiting on "Bulls on Parade"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floater4life said:

Maybe because it's a cool song?

Yes. 😊

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. 😎

Edited by C-Dragons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, markeb said:

 

I'm waiting on "Bulls on Parade"...

just found it on the internet

Lust for life - wanting to experience all of the unconventional pleasures of life, i.e. both heterosexual and homesexual acts, drugs, crime etc.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sippican said:

 

And how many associate the book Alice in Wonderland with drugs (magic mushrooms and hookah smoking cats)?

It was a hookah smoking caterpillar!  I played that part in our high school play!  Looong time ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, riredsox said:

It was a hookah smoking caterpillar!  I played that part in our high school play!  Looong time ago.

 

Of course - I knew that!  I was enraptured with the Cheshire Cat  - who surely must have been high on something to be smiling so broadly, lol! 

(How progressive of your high school to allow the presenation of such a scandalous tale!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sippican said:

 

Of course - I knew that!  I was enraptured with the Cheshire Cat  - who surely must have been high on something to be smiling so broadly, lol! 

(How progressive of your high school to allow the presenation of such a scandalous tale!)

 

Ha ha it was the 70’s and my grandmother told me I looked a little to familiar with that hookah!  Ah the good old days..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next song for all of us children of the 60's will be done by Jim Morrison of the Doors to keep up the theme... LOL😁

Edited by neilrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, neilrr said:

The next song for all of us children of the 60's will be by done Jim Morrison of the Doors to keep up the theme... LOL😁

You're on to something. With all the COVID19 posts, the Doors song "This Is The End" could be the next theme song. ✌️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You're on to something. With all the COVID19 posts, the Doors song "This Is The End" could be the next theme song. ✌️

 

Appropriately set to some version of the opening sequence to Apocalypse Now. That would blow some minds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Really don't want to keep this going...but...we're E+ and loyal to X...like some have said, a song won't influence us one way or another, but given the epidemic drug culture prevalent in the US, one might think more carefully before promoting a drug culture reference in their marketing...and...young people are a much more in tune with lyrics (given rap etc) than you're giving them credit for.  There are SOME young people who wouldn't necessarily even watch TV, never mind a commercial, but might overhear this, pay attention to the words, and would think this an endorsement of a hip, rad, woke...pick a word depending on generation, LOL....lifestyle.  Again JMHO.

I am not questioning your opinion at all.  I just asked if this song and ad would stop you from sailing on Celebrity.  I guess the answer is no based on your response.  IMO the ad is not really influencing most people to boycott Celebrity even though some us older folk remember the context in 1967 when it was released.  I was a kid.  It did not influence me then either.  Happy cruising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, davekathy said:

You're on to something. With all the COVID19 posts, the Doors song "This Is The End" could be the next theme song. ✌️

 

davekathy - I was thinking of "Light My Fire" rather than "This Is The End... 

 

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I am not questioning your opinion at all.  I just asked if this song and ad would stop you from sailing on Celebrity.  I guess the answer is no based on your response.  IMO the ad is not really influencing most people to boycott Celebrity even though some us older folk remember the context in 1967 when it was released.  I was a kid.  It did not influence me then either.  Happy cruising!

Hi TeeRick - We miss you on our thread... Sorry you are not traveling with us... I thought the ad was a bit strange, but most Millennials will not get it anyway.  Maybe Celebrity is starting the a new 60's Boutique (with all the goodies) on board... LOL:classic_biggrin:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, neilrr said:

The next song for all of us children of the 60's will be done by Jim Morrison of the Doors to keep up the theme... LOL😁

 

Just to get this back off the rails for fun...

 

"Nevermind" was released in 1991. A 20-something in 1991 is entering Celebrity's demographic, if not already there.

 

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, etc., could seriously start making appearances. That will be interesting. 😱 (Pity there's no head exploding emoji...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, neilrr said:

 

davekathy - I was thinking of "Light My Fire" rather than "This Is The End... 

 

Hi TeeRick - We miss you on our thread... Sorry you are not traveling with us... I thought the ad was a bit strange, but most Millennials will not get it anyway.  Maybe Celebrity is starting the a new 60's Boutique (with all the goodies) on board... LOL:classic_biggrin:  

Thanks Neil.  I will drop by the roll call and say Hi to everybody!  Edge does have a 60's funky forest passageway leading to Eden on the aft of the ship.  In A Gadda Da Vida would be an appropriate song for an ad I think! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In A Gadda Da Vida would be an appropriate song for an ad I think! 

Just not the full album version, over 17 minutes long IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...