CCL STOCK /BENEFITS

mcrcruiser

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

How about getting back on the topic CCL stocks. Airlines? Really!

Actually, there have been some interesting discussions here on topics other than Carnival stock. It is really not that rare for threads to veer off topic.

You can always post something more germane to the topic if you wish to steer the conversation there.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Carnival Corp stock is very close to it's yearly low . now that the stock market is pulling back due to 2 months of contracting manufacturing activity in the USA  ,the over all stock market is reacting very negatively  .Today the DOW Jones average was down at one point over 500 points .

Certainly ,hospitality stocks are not a good idea to buy or own  should the USA slide into a recession . It is coming any way because recessions do come,at some point in time .Both Europe & Japans economies are  in trouble & China's economy has  been on a slide with the tariff wars  .This does not bode well  & the cost of oil has also  been moving up in cost . These are all head winds to any hospitality stock 

imo best to sit & watch what price  CCL settles at in several  trading days from now  .Yes the OBC benefits are nice but ,not guaranteed .Each  year the Carnival corp board of directors must vote to continue that benefit .Also .the dividend could be suspect in hard times ,for this cruise corporation  ,The bottom line is be very careful  making any decision to buy 

You sound like my financial advisor did when I wanted to but CCL @ $25/SHARE.  Oil prices were up and the economy down.  Because of the world situation, travel was down.

Bottom line is the CCL Shareholder benefit has been great, and over the many cruises we've taken we've gotten most of our investment back.    People cruise to get away from the stress and uncertainty of the world, and a cruise has been a cost effective vacation.

Besides, our CCL stock has doubled in value.   Our financial advisor has apologized and wished that he had followed our advice and bought when we did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Times Prince said:

You sound like my financial advisor did when I wanted to but CCL @ $25/SHARE.  Oil prices were up and the economy down.  Because of the world situation, travel was down.

Bottom line is the CCL Shareholder benefit has been great, and over the many cruises we've taken we've gotten most of our investment back.    People cruise to get away from the stress and uncertainty of the world, and a cruise has been a cost effective vacation.

Besides, our CCL stock has doubled in value.   Our financial advisor has apologized and wished that he had followed our advice and bought when we did.

LOL We bought the stock very near it's yearly low  . We know the benefits & with a 5% dividend hard not to buy the stock  .Hind sight is always 20/20 for your investment advisor 

On 10/5/2019 at 5:06 PM, Roberto256 said:

You are, of course, free to follow any investment strategy you wish.

I note that the CCL price has dropped $20+ over the past year or so.

During the entire time, there have been posts here recommending buying to get the OBC.

OK, but one better book some more cruises for the OBC to cover the loses...

There was a thread a year or so ago touting how much $$ people made on CCL stock not to mention all the OBC they got.  We don't hear from those people right now - their "net" after OBC but after the tanking of the stock price is probably negative.  Best advice is to buy and hold.  Then shorter-term dips won't make a difference in the long-term.

We bought a fair amount of stock after 9-11.  It was primarily to be patriotic.

We never sold anything and never cared to check how they were "doing".  We also consistently invested in mutual funds.  Our fee-based financial advised suggested we sell all of our individual stocks to simplify things - we did except for RCi and Carnival. 

Buy and hold has worked very well for us.  We are going through an interesting adjustment from accumulators to spenders.  Buy and hold has worked very well for us.  

Our RCI stock has been pretty much worthless for OBC until recently.  They've lifted the restrictions on eligibility.  It was supposed to be on cruises booked after June 1st.  We applied anyway for our upcoming Celebrity Hawaii cruise and was given the $250 OBC even though we booked it last year.

I have no idea how much OBC we've gotten from our Carnival stock, but since 2001 - it is was a substantial mount -- tax free.  We've cruised Carnival, Princess,  and HAL.  It has been a very good investment.  I have no idea what we paid for it and other than what has been mentioned in this thread - I don't know the current price.  I could not care less 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

There was a thread a year or so ago touting how much $$ people made on CCL stock not to mention all the OBC they got.  We don't hear from those people right now - their "net" after OBC but after the tanking of the stock price is probably negative.  Best advice is to buy and hold.  Then shorter-term dips won't make a difference in the long-term.

This is as of November 18 of this year - we are leaving on October 17 and returning on November 18. We also have 3 more cruises  (33 days) booked for next fall and, of course, we will get the dividends next year as well. We intend to continue cruising with Princess. We are well satisfied with our purchase. Many here bought long before we did and at a lower price. They have also cruised more than we have.

Initial cash outlay for CCL stock:

$37.05/share x 100 shares = $3,705

OBC Returns:  $2,500

Dividend Returns:  $1,240

OBC + Dividends:  $3,740

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

This is as of November 18 of this year - we are leaving on October 17 and returning on November 18. We also have 3 more cruises  (33 days) booked for next fall and, of course, we will get the dividends next year as well. We intend to continue cruising with Princess. We are well satisfied with our purchase.

Initial cash outlay for CCL stock:

$37.05/share x 100 shares = $3,705

OBC Returns:  $2,500

Dividend Returns:  $1,240

OBC + Dividends:  $3,740

Seems like the only ones talking about their return on CCL stock are those like you who bought it at a relatively low price. Where are all those who paid $50-$60+/share? lol 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Seems like the only ones talking about their return on CCL stock are those like you who bought it at a relatively low price. Where are all those who paid $50-$60+/share? lol 

It really all depends on why you bought it.

We bought our 100 shares just a few days ago because after my wife's very first cruise (Alaska in August) she discovered she loved it and couldn't wait to get back onboard--which we will do next month. The OBC plus a decent dividend--which will grow over time as we have opted for DRIP on these shares--make it work for us. 

From a pure investment standpoint, CCL is nothing special: no real growth potential and the chart looks awful but, in today's environment, a 4.8% dividend isn't bad especially coupled to the OBC as we plan on at least 4 10-day+ cruises per year from here on out.

Know what you own and why you own it.

15 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

just like gambling, no one brags about their loses. 

if one did pay $60 for CCL, I hope that they recently bought more shares. 

20 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Patience, young Padiwan. Their time will (eventually) come if they continue to hold the stock and continue to cruise Princess. Had I bought at that price I would hold the stock in the surety that it will go back up one day. I didn't buy for the gain in price. I bought solely for the OBC. At the time I bought the dividend was much lower but I found it to be a good "bonus". I don't intend to sell until we can no longer cruise. I would rather have the OBC and dividend than the cash.

We're getting older. One of these days I will die and my wife can continue to cruise (this is what I hope) or she can sell the stock or keep it for the "estate" such as it is. We figure our house will have to be sold at some point to either keep cruising (!) or pay for assisted living. Getting old isn't for sissies. Not matter what happens with the stock - it can fall to $1.50 a share - we will have gotten our money back and more and had wonderful times cruising.

I bought Carnival shares for the OBC, not for capital growth. Since I bought mine in mid September, the price has dropped considerably, but I am not stressing over that. 

I am having difficulty getting my stock ownership registered for my OBC. Since I bought the shares, one cruise has come and gone without it although I faxed my request for the benefit (as per the website instructions).😢 We have cruises booked on Princess and on P&O Aust. so I am following up with both to make sure my shareholding is registered before our next cruise.  

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am having difficulty getting my stock ownership registered for my OBC. Since I bought the shares, one cruise has come and gone without it although I faxed my request for the benefit (as per the website instructions).😢 We have cruises booked on Princess and on P&O Aust. so I am following up with both to make sure my shareholding is registered before our next cruise.  

I faxed my trade confirmation in and it was on my account in less than 2 hours. Something is getting really screwed up with your submission. 

I’d trying calling them shortly after you fax and getting them on it right away. 

8 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

I faxed my trade confirmation in and it was on my account in less than 2 hours. Something is getting really screwed up with your submission. 

I’d trying calling them shortly after you fax and getting them on it right away. 

Thanks for your comment. When I sent the original fax to both P&O and Princess I have the "Transmission Report" showing that the fax was received by the correct number. I was disappointed not to get the OBC on our recent cruise, but I knew this might happen because I registered for the benefit less than the stipulated three weeks before the cruise.  

When I phoned Princess and P&O, they both said I should email my request and accompanying share statement, which I did. The P&O staffer said the OBC would show up on my account in three to five working days. You can be sure I will follow it up on the fifth day!

Our next Princess cruise isn't until December so I have a bit of time. Princess didn't mention how long it will take for the OBC to show on my Personalizer, but I will follow it up in a couple of weeks if it isn't there.

5 hours ago, The Mikado said:

I had my TA fax in my paperwork. When it was not in my personalizer, I called him. He said that they often lose faxes, and had already sent it a second time. (I believe he was talking about cruise lines in general, not just Princess.) It showed up that day.

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

When I phoned Princess and P&O, they both said I should email my request and accompanying share statement, which I did. The P&O staffer said the OBC would show up on my account in three to five working days. You can be sure I will follow it up on the fifth day!

At least in the U.S, you cannot e-mail your OBC request.  I always send my documentation and request via U.S. Mail.  It doesn't show up in a couple of hours, but it shows up...

6 minutes ago, DevonianCruiser said:

I have 115 carnival shares which I bought in my SIPP (pension), would these qualify and if so how do I go about getting the credit etc? Thanks

I just bought 100 stock a week ago and got the OBC when i faxed the stock purchase confirmation to Princess. When I faxed it this past Friday, it took less than 30 minutes for me to see the additional $250 OBC on my upcoming cruise! Super easy. Just gotta fax the proof of stock along with your name, booking #, ship and departure date to 661-753-0180! 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Are you certain, Military OBC is refundable?

Yes, if you don't believe it and you've got a cruise booked, go look in your personalizer and it will show that it's refundable. My wife and I are both vets and we've gotten a number of checks providing us refunds. The refunds are processed by a third party company and I've gotten them anywhere from 2 to almost 8 weeks after the end of the cruise. I suspect the delays have to do with workloads at the company doing the processing.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

1 hour ago, DevonianCruiser said:

I have 115 carnival shares which I bought in my SIPP (pension), would these qualify and if so how do I go about getting the credit etc? Thanks

You do qualify.  I am not familiar with a SIPP, but in the United States, you would need to get proof of ownership of CCL stock from whatever Trustee holds your CCL position.  A copy of your account statement ought to be sufficient.  Then, submit that statement to the appropriate address and your onboard credit ought to be approved.