CCL STOCK /BENEFITS

mcrcruiser

Interested or invested in a stock of any industry?  Not a bad idea to follow what is happening with that stock in relation to the economy.  I have done so.  But, I follow my own evaluation with some help from my financial adviser, of course.

Who knows what the near term future of the economy holds?  My crystal ball is as foggy as ever.

I do know that in the 2008-2009 years when the cruise line stocks were sinking almost as fast as the Titanic did on a daily basis, I sold a long held position in RCI, took a loss which helped my tax position for the year, but when the stock reached such a low price, given the Company's position in the marketplace, it's price encouraged me to buy more just above its all time low being certain to have avoided the IRS Wash Rule.  Today, I wonder:  why didn't I buy more and why didn't I use the same strategy with my CCL shares?

Whatever one does, if you are a long term holder of the stock:  reinvest the Company's dividends!  As a long term investor, it makes a difference!!!  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Correct. I wish that changed. Just Wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If they allowed the OBC per person rather than per booking I'd be buying another 100 for DW too!

Why not get the extra 100 anyway?  Maybe you will be cruising with family one day and need two cabins.

12 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

The stock went low after Carnival got hit with the 40 mill and another 20 mill for pollution. Plus the market went down. Once they are back on good standings. I would think it will go back up.

That had nothing to do with the recent drop in stock price.

The price dropped recently because CCL Corp lowered their estimate of earnings for the 4th quarter of this year. In addition, they indicated that new bookings for next year, while good, are at prices the same as or lower than the past year.

The market in general values stocks on future earnings potential, not past one time costs.

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

loss which helped my tax position for the year,

Good advice but I bought in my IRA as an added retirement benefit so no tax loss harvesting. Bought at 56, recouped 800 so far + 50 this month + 100 next + 100 March 2020 + 250 November 2020 so fairly even

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 4:31 PM, twodaywonder said:

Nice sailing with princess for us.

I get the Stock OBC, Future cruise credit $50 or $100 and the Veterans OBC same as the stock offer. Nice! Sometimes Princess has a promotion OBC and so does my TA. All adds up very nice. Carnival stock is the very best to own. Like any stock. It has its ups and downs. In the mean time I get the OBC and the dividends.

Exactly the same ones I get. My last several cruises, I've gotten a check in the mail for unused portion of the military OBC.

Now if I can just find a way to get free gratuities.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 3:09 PM, voljeep said:

yes ... I always follow anonymous poster forums very closely in order to make my buy/sell limits and to balance my portfolio

You are, of course, free to follow any investment strategy you wish.

I note that the CCL price has dropped $20+ over the past year or so.

During the entire time, there have been posts here recommending buying to get the OBC.

OK, but one better book some more cruises for the OBC to cover the loses...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

During the entire time, there have been posts here recommending buying to get the OBC.

It is still higher than when I bought it. The dividend has increased since I bought it. We continue to get OBC.

• Like 1

Thanks for this post.  I will purchase 100 shares first thing Monday.  We have two cruises and 3 cabins next year.

Last time I did this I purchased NCL stock,  got the  OBC and made 6% in 3 months.  The low price just means that a smaller investment is required.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

There is no loss unless you sell at a loss.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, framer said:

Seriously, if you cruise with Princess, just buy your 100 shares while the price is down.  

framer   

Get your Carnival OBC on any of these lines. Princess, Carnival, Holland America, Seabourn, Costa, Aida Cruises, P&O (UK) Cruises, Cunard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

There is no loss unless you sell at a loss.

As a "buy and hold" investor, unless my holdings are in a company that appear to be in a more severe decline than I wish to ride, i.e. JCP and RCI near its lowest point, my investment philosophy has been successful.  So far.

• Like 2