Mariner Status

BananaE29

Ah...yes they do...under Terms and Conditions (a brief segment shown here). I agree it is not bold and upfront:

erms and Conditions Holland America Line's Mariner Society Rewards Program (the "Program") is operated by Holland America Line ("HAL"). HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice. Membership may be terminated at HAL's sole discretion for anyone appearing to be utilizing the Program in a manner inconsistent with its terms, conditions or intent. To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one qualifying HAL cruise or have sailed with one of the World’s Leading Cruise Lines: Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn or Costa Cruises. These guests are automatically enrolled as a Star Mariner when they make their first booking with Holland America Line because of their affiliation with the World’s Leading Cruise Lines. Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days and qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only. Holland America Line guests are eligible for Two-Star Mariner membership after 30 Cruise Day credits; Three-Star after 75 Cruise Day credits; Four-Star after 200 Cruise Day credits; Five-Star after 500 Cruise Day credits. Qualifying cruises exclude certain reduced cruise fares (i.e., Employee, vendor rates, etc.)

• Like 1

Under the 3rd question:

The basic formula is very simple: one Cruise Day credit is given for each actual day sailed (each overnight aboard a Holland America Line vessel is considered an actual day sailed). So, for example, a 7-day cruise results in 7 Cruise Day credits. For Holland America Line Alaska Land+Sea Journeys, a Cruise Day credit is granted for total tour days, including days touring on land. Pre and Post packages are excluded. Cruise Day credits are non-transferable.

These credits apply to all guests, including 3rd and 4th guests in a stateroom for suite bonus only. In addition, there are two ways to earn bonus days:

• Suite Bonus Earn double Cruise Day credits when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 Cruise Day credits. Special paid or complimentary upgrades do not qualify.
  • Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2009, one bonus Cruise Day credit will be granted for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. Only the first two guests on the booking receive the limit of one bonus day for each day sailed; 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus. 
Edited by catl331

20 minutes ago, BananaE29 said:

It would make much more sense for them to just list the information *within* the Star info, instead of hidden in a bunch of gobbley-gook at the bottom 🙂

It is. Under 2 Star Mariner Amenities it says

All 1-Star Mariner Amenities PLUS: 

Collectable gifts, special discounts and more await you at 30 Cruise Day credits. As a 2-Star Mariner, you'll enjoy:

and under 3 Star Amenities it says

All 1 and 2-Star Mariner Amenities PLUS: 

Unlock significant savings and a host of exclusive benefits as a 3-Star Mariner. When you reach 75 Cruise Day credits, you'll receive:

etc

Edited by catl331

14 minutes ago, msmayor said:

We'll likely earn 18-20 cruise day credits on our upcoming Eurodam cruise, which will leave us just 1-3 short of 3 star.  I'll need one more trip to get there...

And I bet you have one already planned!!   It’s exciting to be so close to the next level.  Im

not sure we will ever get to 5* but are happy with the 4*.  

25 minutes ago, msmayor said:

We'll likely earn 18-20 cruise day credits on our upcoming Eurodam cruise, which will leave us just 1-3 short of 3 star.  I'll need one more trip to get there...

You'll get there!  I can remember in 2012 when we  2*, I viewed 4* as completely unobtainable; however, within 3 years we'd accumulated enough sea days coupled with onboard spending to reach 4*.  We were so excited.  Now, unbelievably, I'm 168 days shy of 5*!  Will I make it?  Probably.  HAL has been generous in awarding those points for onboard spending by rounding up.  

Enjoy those cruising days and the memories they create as you slide toward the higher levels.   

• Like 2

Well since this topic has been brought up, can someone please explain these bonus points?  I just completed a 7 day cruise in a standard veranda room and my final on-board spending bill was only $345.  I was awarded 6 bonus points, totaling 13 points earned on the cruise.  Not that I'm complaining, but I don't understand why I earned so many points.  

9 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Well since this topic has been brought up, can someone please explain these bonus points?  I just completed a 7 day cruise in a standard veranda room and my final on-board spending bill was only $345.  I was awarded 6 bonus points, totaling 13 points earned on the cruise.  Not that I'm complaining, but I don't understand why I earned so many points.  

3 minutes ago, freestyling said:

Perhaps you had some prepaid items or OBC that was used before final on board spending bill of $345? 

Also, your points are based on total spending for the cabin. It doesn't matter who ends up paying for each bill at the end. So, was the $345 for you alone or for the entire cabin?

As mentioned above, all spending prior to the cruise for excursions, specialty meals, internet, etc also count.

3 minutes ago, freestyling said:

Perhaps you had some prepaid items or OBC that was used before final on board spending bill of $345? 

No OBC.  The only things I prepaid were the insurance and the Signature Beverage Package.  But the SBP wasn't full price.  It was only $140 per person as part of a booking bonus.  Do you think they gave me credit based on the SBP's full price?  Even so, I still don't think it adds up to 6 points.  

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

Also, your points are based on total spending for the cabin. It doesn't matter who ends up paying for each bill at the end. So, was the $345 for you alone or for the entire cabin?

As mentioned above, all spending prior to the cruise for excursions, specialty meals, internet, etc also count.

$345 was total for my room....both DW and me.  

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

No OBC.  The only things I prepaid were the insurance and the Signature Beverage Package.  But the SBP wasn't full price.  It was only $140 per person as part of a booking bonus.  Do you think they gave me credit based on the SBP's full price?  Even so, I still don't think it adds up to 6 points.  

Insurance doesn't count, it is part of the cruise fare. You might have gotten credit due for the full price of the SBP

13 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Did you have prepaid HSC?

Was your spending $345 or was that your final bill after any credits?

Paid the HSC on board, and $345 was my total spending.  I didn't spend much on board due to the SBP and not buying any excursions.  Just a couple specialty restaurants and a couple shirts off the $10 rack.  

Does HAL give additional points for booking specialty restaurants?  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

my final on-board spending bill was only $345.  I was awarded 6 bonus points,

HAL is known to give generous round-ups on the spending bonus, so I can believe 2 points for $345, but not 6.  Maybe it was simply an error.