Discovery Princess: Wow Another Royal Class Ship That Is Built on Aging Platform.

need2cruisesoon

On October 8, 2019 at 12:22 PM, Aggie83 said:

The OP can't even answer my two simple questions posted previously:  

What do you want to see?  What cruise line meets your idea of innovation in ship design?

I think the OP is more of a provocateur vs. innovative thinker.  Also unable to submit constructive ideas.

Anything:

- Rotating dining room for ocean views.

- Cantilevered pool off the aft.

- outside elevators.

- Bay window balconies (just a shot).

- The Helm - a bar/lounge on the front of the ship with pano views

- 3 story MDR with huge water feature in the center

something, anything....

How about a covered pool for those who like to stay out of the sun.

How about a covered full promenade deck like the Oasis class ships.

How about more outlets in the staterooms and on each side of the bed.

How about sconce lamps on each side of the bed vs lamps bolted to nightstands that make claps difficult.

How about being able to lookup stateroom account info on your stateroom tv as well as the medallion phone apps.

How about video chatting on your TV back home.
How about TV access to all menus and tonight’s buffet foods maybe via cameras.

How about bidets in all staterooms not just on the Japanese ships.

I can easily go on.

Edited by zalusky

On 10/7/2019 at 6:38 PM, joybook said:

To each his own. Personally I am comfortable with the current design. I am sure Princess is catering for their passenger demographics. I don't need water slides, dodgem cars, rock climbing walls etc etc etc for my cruise experience and I am sure that a lot of other Princess passengers feel the same.

I personally would have loved a Princess ship with all the bells and whistles my 8 yo would enjoy, while I am enjoying Princess atmosphere and food. But, alas, that's not what Princess is all about. So, we enjoy activity bells and whistles  and eat inferior food on other ships, and DS spends most of his Princess time in a hot tub or watching free on demand movies, because there is nothing else for him to do, while we enjoy the food.

How about sconce lamps on each side of the bed vs lamps bolted to nightstands that make claps difficult.

How about being able to lookup stateroom account info on your stateroom tv as well as the medallion phone apps.

one doesn't need to redesign a whole ship to enjoy any of these features.

no, thanks, we are good.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

18 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Anything:

- Rotating dining room for ocean views.

- Cantilevered pool off the aft.

- outside elevators.

- Bay window balconies (just a shot).

- The Helm - a bar/lounge on the front of the ship with pano views

- 3 story MDR with huge water feature in the center

something, anything....

yeah, Anything:

- a cover pool with roof that doubles as planetarium

- ship should be able to spin 360 degrees while maintaining speed, hate for the other side of balconies to miss a pretty sunset

- zipline from Seawalk on Lido deck to wherever my balcony is located

- library stocked with only Fabio romance novels

- instead of painting sea witch logo on the front, paint "I LIKE BIG BOATS AND I CANNOT LIE"

My opinion is so much better than anyone else's, therefore anything short of my "Anything"s, the ship is deemed to be ancient and unimaginative.

Edited by OceanPrince
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

one doesn't need to redesign a whole ship to enjoy any of these features.

no, thanks, we are good.

if that’s the case the. Why doesn’t princess add them to their frickin new ship.   I am tired of dragging extension cords across both sides of the bed each night so my wife and I can sleep.  Trying fit a CPAP machine around the stupid nightstand lamp is almost impossible.   We need to keep out of the sun why can’t princess have a wrap around covered promenade like the Allure.   I don’t need the water slides either but I do want more features that appeal to my adult age bracket.   Instead I am sitting here typing this on the Caribbean Princess as I continually wait 15 to 20 minutes for a Diet Coke in places like the buffet.   The passengers have been great, the on demand movie selection is great although the audio is totally whacked where the music is constantly louder than the dialog.  The buffet choices have been pretty good but the specialty restaurants have been pretty disappointing.

This is my 7th princess run but I think I might let my FCD expire as I try something more upscale.

Edited by zalusky

Zalusky,  doesn't Princess have any ships with covered pool area?  I am confused as to why you need an extension cord to be dragged next to your bed. I know you want to charge you phone or other things; but that can be done anywhere in the cabin. Do you know if the new Sky Princess has plugs next to each side of the bed?  Video chatting on tv to back home. Why can't you do this now? You plug in your iphone thru tv and video chat.  I am sorry you are not satisfied with Princess.  I just started sailing with them three years ago and am having a lovely time. Been on RCL and NCL.  I guess that is why there are so many cruise lines out here.  There is something out there for everyone

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zalusky said:

Instead I am sitting here typing this on the Caribbean Princess as I continually wait 15 to 20 minutes for a Diet Coke in places like the buffet.

your 'server' in the BUFFET on the CB most likely has to go back to the Outrigger Bar and wait in line with other 'servers' getting your diet coke ... it's usually a very busy bar

if we're going to the buffet - usually only at breakfast - we get our drinks BEFORE we go in ...

j/s

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

your 'server' in the BUFFET on the CB most likely has to go back to the Outrigger Bar and wait in line with other 'servers' getting your diet coke ... it's usually a very busy bar

if we're going to the buffet - usually only at breakfast - we get our drinks BEFORE we go in ...

j/s

Most likely true but our meals have been extraordinarily slow in the Crown Grill and Planks as well.   They may be down some people because of the Noro stuff.   I just don’t remember it being this slow on previous sailings.

29 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Zalusky,  doesn't Princess have any ships with covered pool area?  I am confused as to why you need an extension cord to be dragged next to your bed. I know you want to charge you phone or other things; but that can be done anywhere in the cabin. Do you know if the new Sky Princess has plugs next to each side of the bed?  Video chatting on tv to back home. Why can't you do this now? You plug in your iphone thru tv and video chat.  I am sorry you are not satisfied with Princess.  I just started sailing with them three years ago and am having a lovely time. Been on RCL and NCL.  I guess that is why there are so many cruise lines out here.  There is something out there for everyone

Both my wife and I use CPAPs and many of the other passengers do as well.   The only outlets are on the desk.   I have to string an extension cord across the desk and plug in the chargers and my CPAP  and then string it across the bed to plug in the CPAP on that side as well.

As part of our cruise tour for Princess we stayed in Fairmont in Toronto, Ottawa, Montebello, and Montréal.   They all had outlets in the nightstands on both sides.   The bed lighting was on the headboard and was an LED strip.   The nightstands were completely clear and similar in size to princesses.   RCCL newer ships have outlets why can’t princess do that.    RCCL also allows you to look up your account on the TV.   Now princesses new internet is fantastic but they are behind in other areas.

Edited by zalusky

Maybe people should contact Princess or post threads on Princess Facebook page telling them to install new bedside lamps with built in usb/chargers for such things as cpap machines or other type machines.  My wife carries a portable asthma machine that she uses in hotel rooms and cruise cabins.  Maybe SKY Princess will have that available. Princess had your hotel folio on the tv; but when they went to the new ocean medallion program; your folio is now on your smart phone.  Yes I know some people don't want to pull out their phone just to look at their bill; however, to me I have my phone with me; so it's a natural thing just to look at my phone to check on my folio.  You can go to guest services everyday and request a paper copy.  Have a great day.  

We would appreciate having an indoor public space that looks forward.  Only ship I know with this is Majestic (replaced Sanctuary space).  Island (and presumably Coral) have buffet in forward section of Lido deck so expansive window space forward and to sides. 

Others have mentioned more electrical outlets which is just cosmetics. 

IDK what I might think of in ship design, but expect to not be happy with the coming "Princess of the Seas" giant size.  Like Royal class size well enough.  As others have said, bigger is not always better.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Maybe people should contact Princess or post threads on Princess Facebook page telling them to install new bedside lamps with built in usb/chargers for such things as cpap machines or other type machines.  My wife carries a portable asthma machine that she uses in hotel rooms and cruise cabins.  Maybe SKY Princess will have that available. Princess had your hotel folio on the tv; but when they went to the new ocean medallion program; your folio is now on your smart phone.  Yes I know some people don't want to pull out their phone just to look at their bill; however, to me I have my phone with me; so it's a natural thing just to look at my phone to check on my folio.  You can go to guest services everyday and request a paper copy.  Have a great day.  

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

We would appreciate having an indoor public space that looks forward.  Only ship I know with this is Majestic (replaced Sanctuary space).  Island (and presumably Coral) have buffet in forward section of Lido deck so expansive window space forward and to sides. 

Others have mentioned more electrical outlets which is just cosmetics. 

IDK what I might think of in ship design, but expect to not be happy with the coming "Princess of the Seas" giant size.  Like Royal class size well enough.  As others have said, bigger is not always better.  

So tell me where on my phone is my folio.  I have gone through the various Ocean apps and do not see it.  I can order drinks and food.   I can see the itinerary and what’s happening today.   I can find myself and my partners and even do a chat but there is no folio info that I can see.

8 minutes ago, zalusky said:

So tell me where on my phone is my folio.  

It is not part of the phone apps.  You should use your browser app and go to <shipname>.princess.com and login.  The web-based pages still function (or at least they still did this summer).  You will have the account option there to show the details and status.  You also have access to the Patter information and hours of business for ship venues.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

It is not part of the phone apps.  You should use your browser app and go to <shipname>.princess.com and login.  The web-based pages still function (or at least they still did this summer).  You will have the account option there to show the details and status.  You also have access to the Patter information and hours of business for ship venues.

Thank you for that.   I wished they weren’t all over the place on IT.   I may have seen this before. But totally forgot about and the sign up pages for data did not advertise it in a way that made it memorable (at least to me).

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Thank you for that.   I wished they weren’t all over the place on IT.   I may have seen this before. But totally forgot about and the sign up pages for data did not advertise it in a way that made it memorable (at least to me).

I have submitted recommendation to incorporate stateroom account info into Medallion App.  Sent to Princess Customer Relations, post-cruise survey and to on board Navigators.  I think it is on for a future enhancement.  At least we have single sign-on for the App now.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, joybook said:

To each his own. Personally I am comfortable with the current design. I am sure Princess is catering for their passenger demographics. I don't need water slides, dodgem cars, rock climbing walls etc etc etc for my cruise experience and I am sure that a lot of other Princess passengers feel the same.

So true, and I don't want a ship that looks like a floating apartment building. I want a ship to look like a ship, even if I did spend 18 months cruising on aircraft carriers.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:07 PM, richsea said:

We also like the Royal class ships, even though they have their drawbacks, like the smaller balconies (not as bad as I'd feared), & the lack of Explorers Lounge, & promenade deck, which I don't care much about, but realize that many others do. I love the expanded piazza, larger IC, & even Princess Live, even with its uncomfortable seating. Oh, & Alfredos and the beautiful Retreat Pool.

Grand class has the bigger balconies, Explorers, and that great aft Terrace Pool.

We find that each class of ship has plusses & minuses, which is true of all the lines we've sailed. It's good to have choices, they forestall complacency!

Are there any larger balconies on Royal class ships, without going up to suites? We’re relatively new Princess cruisers as we usually sail X, but have found far more choice of itineraries with Princess. However, we do like the Caribe size balconies on Grand class ships and wondered if there were any on Royal at all?

On 10/7/2019 at 9:02 AM, Daniel A said:

I'd love to see a few new ships that are smaller with real balconies and imaginatively designed mini suites that actually have the feel of a small suite rather than a longer balcony cabin.  Bigger is not always better. 

In other words they need to build new versions of the Sun class ships but with modern balconies not hull cutouts. 😁

Wouldn't it be lovely:

• Wide promenade deck that goes right around the ship with no stairs.

• Crooners right around the atrium

• A decent-sized Wheelhouse Bar

• Mini suites that are double a standard cabin size.

Ok, they would need to make a few changes though:

• better inside cabins 

• a speciality restaurant (or two) that isn't in the Horizon Court.

• The photo gallery somewhere where it doesn't block through traffic (that's one thing they did get right on the Royal class ships).

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Are there any larger balconies on Royal class ships, without going up to suites? We’re relatively new Princess cruisers as we usually sail X, but have found far more choice of itineraries with Princess. However, we do like the Caribe size balconies on Grand class ships and wondered if there were any on Royal at all?

Cabins under the Sea Walk and Sea View bar have angled balconies that are slightly larger but nowhere near the size of Caribe balconies on Grand class ships.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:20 PM, zalusky said:

How about a covered pool for those who like to stay out of the sun.

How about a covered full promenade deck like the Oasis class ships.

I can easily go on.

I did look up my account on my phone with OM!! Also I don't need to video chat on my TV, I can do that on my phone but i go on a cruise to get away!

Edited by Ombud
Typo

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I did look up my account on my phone with OM!! Also I don't need to video chat on my TV, I can do that on my phone but i go on a cruise to get away!

The folio is not yet available using the ocean apps but has been requested as mentioned above.   There are 3000 other people on the ship that may have different requirements.  You can disconnect but many of us may need to know how sick relatives, packages delivered that we did not expect.  We just got meds delivered that would have sat on our doorstep.   I only knew that because of ring/video technology.   We were able to contact people to deal with it.  If I had a sick parent or child I might want to video chat with them in case it got serious while I was gone.  Yes I can do it on the phone but the TV should be smarter in 2019.

Edited by zalusky
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

When I was on the CB I looked up my account whenever I wanted to on the OM so I'm not sure why you can not. 

Did you do it via the web or via an Ocean app.  The app does not Show folio but the web Caribbean.princess.com

Edited by zalusky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

Did you do it via the web or via an Ocean app.  The app does not Show folio but the web Caribbean.princess.com

My next cruise isn't for 3 more days so I can't show you until then 😔