Discovery Princess: Wow Another Royal Class Ship That Is Built on Aging Platform.

need2cruisesoon

Don't get it, Princess orders another Royal Class ship the 6th in a series as such. 

When she is released for inaugural cruise the ship will be 11 years old of an ancient design that is anything but spectacular.(yawn) Kinda like Oldsmobile in the 70's.

Can somebody at Princess think out of the box and come up with "innovation" in a ship design? Something will make me remember the ship after I disembark....

discovery_princess-fill-800x450.jpg

Edited by need2cruisesoon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Don't get it, Princess orders another Royal Class ship the 6th in a series as such. 

When she is released for inaugural cruise the ship will be 11 years old of an ancient design that is anything but spectacular.(yawn) Kinda like Oldsmobile in the 70's.

Can somebody at Princess think out of the box and come up with "innovation" in a ship design? Something will make me remember the ship after I disembark....

What do you want to see?  What cruise line meets your idea of innovation in ship design?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is also the last of it's class they have already announced they are starting the design of a new class that will use LNG as the power source and will be larger in size.  New designs are expensive so every cruise line wants to get the most bang out of its buck on a design.  I happen to like the design but everyone's taste varies.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

discovery_princess-fill-800x450.jpg

You mean one like Celebrity’s abomination, Edge? I sure hope not.

Edited by richsea
  • Like 5

I'd love to see a few new ships that are smaller with real balconies and imaginatively designed mini suites that actually have the feel of a small suite rather than a longer balcony cabin.  Bigger is not always better. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

Didn’t take need2cruisesoon to come out of the woodwork 🙄 If you do not like Princess, why come on the Princess board posting the same old ‘provocative’ posts 😴

And there is a simple solution.  All he needs is a $Billion Dollars to build one exactly to suit.

Safe Journeys, Paul

FD6209C2-E02C-4AFB-94E7-67B3CBE86C5E.png

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'd love to see a few new ships that are smaller with real balconies and imaginatively designed mini suites that actually have the feel of a small suite rather than a longer balcony cabin.  Bigger is not always better. 

In addition the larger ships have problems getting into some ports due to the size of docks, channel depth and height of bridges.

We also like the Royal class ships, even though they have their drawbacks, like the smaller balconies (not as bad as I'd feared), & the lack of Explorers Lounge, & promenade deck, which I don't care much about, but realize that many others do. I love the expanded piazza, larger IC, & even Princess Live, even with its uncomfortable seating. Oh, & Alfredos and the beautiful Retreat Pool.

Grand class has the bigger balconies, Explorers, and that great aft Terrace Pool.

We find that each class of ship has plusses & minuses, which is true of all the lines we've sailed. It's good to have choices, they forestall complacency!

Edited by richsea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, richsea said:

We also like the Royal class ships, even though they have their drawbacks, like the smaller balconies (not as bad as I'd feared), & the lack of Explorers Lounge, & promenade deck, which I don't care much about, but realize that many others do. I love the expanded piazza, larger IC, & even Princess Live, even with its uncomfortable seating. Oh, & Alfredos and the beautiful Retreat Pool.

Grand class has the bigger balconies, Explorers, and that great aft Terrace Pool.

We find that each class of ship has plusses & minuses, which is true of all the lines we've sailed. It's good to have choices, they forestall complacency!

My concern is that as the older (smaller) ships end their lifespan with Princess that as they are taken out of service, they will be replaced only by the bigger vessels.  I have sailed on Regal twice with another one coming up soon but the draw is the itineraries rather than the vessel.  Let's hope there will be another class ship on the drawing board.

Unfortunately Daniel, I’m afraid that as the older, smaller ships leave the fleet, they will be replaced by larger ships. When we started cruising 30-40,000 GRT were the norm, followed by 70-90000 GRT ships. Now those ships are dwarfed by today’s ships. Economy of scale.

• Thanks 1

To each his own. Personally I am comfortable with the current design. I am sure Princess is catering for their passenger demographics. I don't need water slides, dodgem cars, rock climbing walls etc etc etc for my cruise experience and I am sure that a lot of other Princess passengers feel the same.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AnchorsAndAdventures said:

Honestly the Royal Class is one of my favorite classes on any line.  Seems large enough to but not so large like the oasis class ships on RCL. I would imagine designing a ship is very expensive and time consuming so if you can continue to grow your line by recreating what already works why wouldn't you do that.

I agree that onboard the Royal class ships are great ships.

It is when in port they are not great ships. Many more passengers that make the port cities and attractions more crowded. Many more passengers that can mean longer lines to reboard the ship after a day in port. In addition, the ships are too large for many of the unique itineraries that Princess used to have.

• Like 1

It appears the OP likes to come on the Princess board to knock Princess but spends his sea days on other cruiselines.  So the question is why bother other than he does not like Princess.  If you like smaller ships try HAL.  

Princess builds ships to appeal to their market which is the older crowd but not as old as the HAL crowd.  Carnival Corp situates each cruiseline in a specific demographic so they do not compete against each other. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, satxdiver said:

It appears the OP likes to come on the Princess board to knock Princess but spends his sea days on other cruiselines.  So the question is why bother other than he does not like Princess.  If you like smaller ships try HAL.  

Princess builds ships to appeal to their market which is the older crowd but not as old as the HAL crowd.  Carnival Corp situates each cruiseline in a specific demographic so they do not compete against each other. 

The OP can't even answer my two simple questions posted previously:  

What do you want to see?  What cruise line meets your idea of innovation in ship design?

I think the OP is more of a provocateur vs. innovative thinker.  Also unable to submit constructive ideas.

• Like 1

I'm going to take my first cruise on a Royal class ship next month, after quite a few cruises on the Grand / Crown class ships.  I know that "bigger is better" seems to be the way things are going, but I still think my favorites are the older Grand Class ships without a Riviera deck.  That could change, of course...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also prefer the grand class. My favorite is the Sapphir followed by the Star. Don't need an amusement or water park. Love Skywalkers but the "new and improved" models don't have that. Not sure what need2cruisesoon is looking for. If it is a rock wall / massive slides / go karts then sadly this is not the line for him. 

IMHO the reason there are so many lines in each company is bc we all want something slightly different and gravitate to it

On 10/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, need2cruisesoon said:

Don't get this post. Royal Princess was launched in 2013. The 6th and final one is launched in 2021. That's 6 ships in 8 years. How is this different from any class from any other cruiseline? The Grand/SuperGrand class lasted 10 years.

Personally, I only sail on Royal class if I can help it, as you can see on my signature.

F

18 hours ago, KCsealegs said:

I love the Royal Princess class ships - I’m anxious to see the tweaks and changes on the Sky, Enchanted and Discovery.

Yes, I bet you love those really "large" cabin balconies :).  As long as you are under 5 feet tall you might actually be able to stretch out on one of those things...while facing out to sea.

Hank