Cabana Crazy - To Rent or Not to Rent on Half Moon Cay?

sjmbruce

I might be overthinking this - no, I’m definitely overthinking this. Help me under think this.

My husband and I are going on our cruise in February to celebrate his birthday. It was supposed to be a cruise to Cuba, but unfortunately we’re stuck with an expensive Bahamas cruise. We’re disappointed, but it will be okay. Moving forward.   

So we’ll be at HMC on my husband’s actual birthday. I’m thinking about renting a cabana but I can’t decide. We have FTTF, but I don’t want to make him wake up early on his birthday just to get onto a tender first thing. However, I’d also like to make sure we get good seats, a clamshell, floating mats and snorkel gear.

My biggest concern is spending $360 on a cabana and ending up with bad weather. I’m sure if it’s awful and tenders can’t run we’ll receive a refund. What I’m picturing is a cold day with a steady drizzle. Sure, the tenders might be running but who wants to spend the day on the beach in those conditions. At that point, I’d rather spend a few hundred dollars in the spa, cuddled up in a bathrobe with a warm drink.

Any thoughts, opinions or advice? I’m just thinking out loud to fellow cruisers who might understand my neuroses. Thanks!

We booked a cabana on HMC as the 2 husbands in our group of 4 were celebrating their 70th birthdays. We LOVED having the cabana, but found that we were rarely in it! We were in the water the entire time! It was great to have the blue float mats. We ate NOTHING and therefore, it was all left behind. We did drink a few bottles of water and soda, but gave the rest of the beverages to the crew. Think positive. Think of it being a beautiful, warm, sunny day. Would your husband like to just hang on a lounge at the cabana or would he be happier in the water& napping on one of the free public offered lounge chairs? Now, if you're concerned about rain in February, you would have shelter from the rain, but the experience would not be worth $360.

We rented the villa and then invited others to split the cost.  I think we had either 3 or 4 couples total.  It was well worth the money.  Sure we spent a bunch of time in the water,  but we also spent time in the hot tub And using the inside shower and just relaxing inside and outside.  Don’t miss half moon cay.  It’s now my favorite place rain or shine.

• Like 1

My only concern would be the time of year you are going.  For February, the average temp at Half Moon Day during the day is 78F, which may be perfectly fine for you, but others may consider it too cold to spend a lot of time in the water with the aforementioned floating mats and snorkel gear....especially, if the day is overcast and/or the temp turns cold on that day.

Temperature/weather aside, I can tell you that the cabana experience is wonderful.  My wife and I rented one on our last Elation cruise and enjoyed it so much that we've rebooked cabanas for our April 2020 cruise on the Magic and our November 2020 cruise on the Breeze.

Garnett

1 hour ago, pcvtmom said:

I would be surprised if cabanas were still available for a Feb. cruise.  We always get one and LOVE it, but we book well in advance, because they sell out quickly.

Can these be reserved in advance?  For some reason, I thought only Holland America cruisers could reserve in advance, and that Carnival cruisers had to wait until embarkation day to reserve. 

At $360 my husband would much prefer the drink package or expensive shore excursion we normally wouldn't purchase.  You know your husband.  Do you think he would enjoy it or would he prefer that expensive shore excursion he's being wanting to try?

1 hour ago, WildBlueYonder64 said:

Can these be reserved in advance?  For some reason, I thought only Holland America cruisers could reserve in advance, and that Carnival cruisers had to wait until embarkation day to reserve. 

You can reserve a cabana in advance - we have one reserved for next August. However, you can't reserve a specific cabana - you need to go to the excursion desk when you board to pick one. We're rather partial to the higher-numbered cabanas - the beach is less crowded.

WildBlueYonder64,  cabanas are booked in advance with Carnival (shore excursion category).  It has been my experience that they always sell out prior to the cruise.  Nybumpkin is correct in that you choose the specific cabana upon boarding, first come, first served.  We, too, prefer the high numbers!  In fact, we've reserved our favorite (#10) four times, and we hope to get it again on our December cruise.  (Just the right distance away from the crowds, but near the restrooms! 😀)  It really isn't that expensive when you divide it by four or five, which we always do.  They provide enough food for an army!

I have done the cabanas at HMC probably about 3 times. I don't remember them being $360, that seems like a lot for what you actually get or what i remember paying. I loved having them don't get me wrong but for a place to put your stuff, the AC (which is nice) the shower, the mats, snorkel equipment, chairs, soda/water and snacks? I don't know if it would be worth it for 2. I always had 4-6 people so it wasn't so bad. Either way, enjoy your cruise!

20 hours ago, emm126 said:

I have done the cabanas at HMC probably about 3 times. I don't remember them being $360, that seems like a lot for what you actually get or what i remember paying. I loved having them don't get me wrong but for a place to put your stuff, the AC (which is nice) the shower, the mats, snorkel equipment, chairs, soda/water and snacks? I don't know if it would be worth it for 2. I always had 4-6 people so it wasn't so bad. Either way, enjoy your cruise!

Our first cabana was in 2009 and it was much less than $360 - it's gone up significantly. I want to say it was under $200. However, we're a family that can't afford sunburns - Northern European ancestry and family history of skin cancer. We spurge. Since there's four of us on our cruise next year, it's not quite as painful as if there was only two of us.

We (me & the hubby) went a couple of years ago in April. We got a cabana, and to be honest the food went to waste, as we couldn't possibly eat all of it. Same thing with the drinks. We ended up offering it to the people in the area. As for the water temp, it was still cool for April. 

We went to HMC a year ago in October and didn't have a cabana and had a much better time. Just because we didn't have to rush over to the island to our cabana and we were able to spend more time in the water. 

The water is definitely chilly, the air can be cooler than expected (we had 68 degrees there once) and we even missed the port once due to weather.  (you would get a refund if that happened)  The last time we went (Feb.) it was drizzly and chilly - we literally touched the sand and went back to the ship to hang out!  It is definitely a crap-shoot weather-wise in the winter.  Maybe reserve a nice dinner in the steakhouse that night for that night, get a couples massage, etc. instead of the cabana.  

We went to HMC the first time without a Cabana.  It was late January and it was HOT there that day and the Clamshell we rented barley helped.  Every other (5 other times) we either rented a cabana, rented a Villa with friends and one time got in with a group that rented the Oasis.

We prefer to have a place in the shade, under cover in case of a passing rain event and semi-secure where we can keep our "stuff."

We always attempt to get a Cabana or Villa on HMC.

However, only you can decide for yourself if it is "worth it."  

We ("We" being spousal unit and two adult children) did the Cabana Rental thing January 2015 off the Fascination.  A Lot of pluses to doing this and very few negatives.

Plus:  

Fixed location without being crowded by other cruise guests.  Rental included loungers, shaded area, beverages and snacks.  There is a lot to be said for not having to compete for shade, A/C, running water and waiters. 

Minus:  

Can't really think of one.  Okay. . .   Rental is kinda pricey for a small group.  At the same time, you are not stuck being right next to that group of passengers you don't want to hang out with.   If you can join up with another group the PP cost for 6 to 8 (or more) is quite reasonable.  It was really nice to have a place where where we could come and go as we wished, yet still be in touch with each other.  

Either way. . .   We truly enjoyed having a Cabana for the day.    Hope you have the same experience.  

HMC is one the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to, so right now a tad jealous as DH wanted to try a new beach. 360 for 2 is way too much for a cabana.  There is plenty of shade from trees, there is an ocean breeze, if warm, the water will feel great.  But what you have given him as a gift, lasts one day.  For 360 you could buy something that when he looks at it, he will remember the time spent with you, at a great beach, with a beautiful ocean.  As others have said, we know you want to make it special but you  know him best.  Have a great cruise!

We rented a cabana back in 2013 and it was cheaper but we really enjoyed it.  As previously stated higher numbers are better.  We got #11.

Plus:  very relaxing, like having our own private beach for the first couple hours.

Minus:  People showed up about 3 hours in trying to take our chairs, just walk in and take over our cabana while we were in the water.  There were a bunch of them and they were drunk.  Not fun.  Now we skip it the cabana.

If you can afford to do it, do it! The cabanas are great and make a special day even more special. As the saying goes "you will not regret the things you did, but later will regret the things you didn't do". It will be the best day of your cruise.:classic_cool:

It’s all very personal. For us, no way would we spend that kind of money on a cabana (and I’d have no interest in “splitting” it with random CC cruisers.  I’d rather splurge on an amazing restaurant meal, or even couples massage. 

Do you have another port day where you can book an over the top restaurant or private excursion?

16 hours ago, Shipcats6 said:

We rented a cabana back in 2013 and it was cheaper but we really enjoyed it.  As previously stated higher numbers are better.  We got #11.

Plus:  very relaxing, like having our own private beach for the first couple hours.

Minus:  People showed up about 3 hours in trying to take our chairs, just walk in and take over our cabana while we were in the water.  There were a bunch of them and they were drunk.  Not fun.  Now we skip it the cabana.

We had #11 and loved the location - no problems.  We had the "unwanted visitors" problem with Cabana #5 - even though we were sitting there, people would come up to use our shower, try to take our float mats, etc. Some particularly obnoxious folks set their beach chairs up to block the steps to the cabana so we had to climb over them.😡 I guess they were jealous.