Cruising from New York in October

Samstress

We have previously cruised from Boston to Bermuda in October on NCL Dawn.  One of our group is prone to motion sickness.  We are considering a New York to Bahamas cruise on the Encore (in October).  I do know that the Atlantic Ocean can at times be unforgiving & we are doing it in 'bad weather' season however I was hoping that since we will not be heading East out into the Atlantic but rather travelling South down the Eastern Coast that the motion of the ocean might be better.  I'm not asking for weather guarantees:-))  just experiences.  

Sandy

• Like 1

Could be flat calm, could be very rough. Its a crap shoot. The ship is still 10-40 miles off the coast. Have cruised to Bermuda from NYC in June and had rough seas coming and going. Have cruised on a 14 day from NYC to Aruba (1st stop, 3 sea days) in February and going down south was very calm. Coming back it was so windy and the waves were so rough all outside decks were closed and our balcony had 1/8th of salt incrusted on it

Edited by Laszlo

Hi

Suggest to your friend to contact their family doctor to discuss what might be the best option for their particular situation. Many people try OTC meds. or homeopathic treatments, with some working and others not. Getting a medical opinion is generally the safest practice.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Personally I can weather most storms, but it hurts to see a team mate down for the count.  I will suggest some pro-active measures for her.  I think that's been the issue....not taking some preventive measures.  So aside from a doctors RX; what are the recommendations?

We have cruised from Boston to Bermuda and Caribbean multiple times at the end of October. We have hit very rough seas a lot. We take bonine every morning and have never had a problem. The only time we had a problem was when we had the roughest seas ever and were sat at the aft windows in the main dining room for lunch. We got quizie. Turned around to look at the dining room instead of the seas and were fine. I get sea sick on small boats so never take a chance anymore and swear by bonine.

1 hour ago, Samstress said:

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Personally I can weather most storms, but it hurts to see a team mate down for the count.  I will suggest some pro-active measures for her.  I think that's been the issue....not taking some preventive measures.  So aside from a doctors RX; what are the recommendations?

hi

She can always ask her pharmacist. If she doesn't want any knowledgeable advise, she could always search the internet for what helped other people.

hope this helps

Thanks for all the helpful responses.  I think her Doctor is her best bet! Because our Bermuda trip was so rough she's now extra vigilant.  But you can get bad seas anywhere..we just got back from a cruise out of San Juan & there was a bumpy couple of days. Sadly we had to miss GSC:-(

12 hours ago, hladygirl said:

Also do not book a cabin forward on the ship. The motion is ridiculous on rough sea days and nights. I can not stress this enough. Go with midship or aft.

The stern of the ship does not move independently of the bow. Think of the ship as a seasaw. Someone who is very concerned about movement should book midship and low. 

• Like 2

I have a permanently damaged middle ear due to a massive infection and surgery when I was young.  My first cruise, many years ago, I started to get sick as soon as we passed Seagate in Brooklyn.  I went to the gift shop on the ship and asked if they had anything, as Dramamine had made me sicker in the past.  They suggested Bonine, which I took and felt fine the rest of the trip.  Now, whenever I know I am going on a boat/ship, I start taking a Bonine every (12) hours, starting (24) hours in advance, and I have absolutely no issues.

Hope you have a smooth journey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I start taking a Bonine every (12) hours, starting (24) hours in advance, and I have absolutely no issues.

We also swear by Bonine. In our case, we take once/day, and that works for us. 

Enjoy, all. 🛳️

• Like 1

As previously stated, weather is anyone's guess. Sometimes calm, sometmes not. My entire family is prone to motion sickness. OTC Bonine aka meclizine 25 mg twice a day works. I personally prefer a Rx of Transderm Scop. patch. However , there are side effects and some people can't tolerate it. Book your cabins mid ship, mid deck if possible.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, Samstress said:

We have previously cruised from Boston to Bermuda in October on NCL Dawn.  One of our group is prone to motion sickness.  We are considering a New York to Bahamas cruise on the Encore (in October).  I do know that the Atlantic Ocean can at times be unforgiving & we are doing it in 'bad weather' season however I was hoping that since we will not be heading East out into the Atlantic but rather travelling South down the Eastern Coast that the motion of the ocean might be better.  I'm not asking for weather guarantees:-))  just experiences.  

Sandy

It is ironic that your name is Sandy because we left Bayonne on the Explorer of the Seas and sailed right into Hurricane Sandy.  It was not the worst experience that we had.

We have sailed out of NYC many times.  Bad weather can be encountered most of the year in that area of the Atlantic.  Nor'easter storms can be as disruptive as tropical systems at sea.  That said, we have had many good experiences and a few bad ones.  

There are far fewer cruise options out of NYC to avoid storms than there are from FLA ports.  Most storms travel up the coast and will impact Bermuda, Bahamas, and Canada cruises.

We did NY to Bermuda a few years ago.  The only problem was we came home following a hurricane that went between the US coast and Bermuda.  Most of the pool deck was empty but the one (adult) pool that they left open was like a wave pool.  Outstanding!  

Navigating the hallways was like a drunk walk though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davy jones said:

It is ironic that your name is Sandy because we left Bayonne on the Explorer of the Seas and sailed right into Hurricane Sandy.  It was not the worst experience that we had.

We have sailed out of NYC many times.  Bad weather can be encountered most of the year in that area of the Atlantic.  Nor'easter storms can be as disruptive as tropical systems at sea.  That said, we have had many good experiences and a few bad ones.  

There are far fewer cruise options out of NYC to avoid storms than there are from FLA ports.  Most storms travel up the coast and will impact Bermuda, Bahamas, and Canada cruises.

My husband would tell you that it's not ironic at all.  And I sincerely hope that it's also not the worst experience that he's had:-)   He has his own personal Hurricane Sandy!

Edited by Samstress