Size of Soda cup

Lbicklel

Hi.   I’m getting ready for my first cruise on Royal coming up in February.

I have searched and can’t find that anyone’s ever asked this. Can anyone tell me how much the soda cup provided with a drink package holds in terms of ounces? Debating if I want to bring a larger reusable cup to pour into so I don’t have to go back to the machine as often. I can go through a lot of soda between the time I head back to my state room for the evening and the time I go to sleep.

I understand there’s a new cup rolling out. Is that fleet wide yet,  or do I need to know the capacity of both styles to be prepared? Will be on the majesty of the seas if that matters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lbicklel said:

I have searched and can’t find that anyone’s ever asked this. Can anyone tell me how much the soda cup provided with a drink package holds in terms of ounces? Debating if I want to bring a larger reusable cup to pour into so I don’t have to go back to the machine as often. I can go through a lot of soda between the time I head back to my state room for the evening and the time I go to sleep.

I understand there’s a new cup rolling out. Is that fleet wide yet,  or do I need to know the capacity of both styles to be prepared? Will be on the majesty of the seas if that matters. 

you can’t use your own reusable cup in the freestyle machines. The cups royal gives you have a chip in them that activate the machine. I’d guess the ones I’ve had are somewhere around 16 ounces with no ice in them. Those were not the newer ones though I don’t know about any of them! 

19 minutes ago, Lbicklel said:

I don't know if the minimum time period between Freestyle drinks is still in effect, but there was a time when they would make you wait 15 minutes between uses of the Freestyle machine.

Thanks all...sounds like “a la Disney resorts.”  Their cups hardly hold anything and have a wait time built in as well.  Hopefully the 20 ounce measurement is about right...I’ll  bring a 32+ounce of my own to pout into and plan I may have to wait for the second fill.

1 minute ago, Lbicklel said:

Thanks all...sounds like “a la Disney resorts.”  Their cups hardly hold anything and have a wait time built in as well.  Hopefully the 20 ounce measurement is about right...I’ll  bring a 32+ounce of my own to pout into and plan I may have to wait for the second fill.

If you like ice in your drink you could fill that directly into your personal cup and the use the royal cup to get the soda and pour that over the ice. Honestly, it seems like more trouble than what I am willing to go with.

If you are just looking for a regular coke or something you may find a bartender willing to fill your 32oz cup using the gun. You would just need your seapass card then. I have no idea if they would do that, as I have never tried, but it may work. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

If you are just looking for a regular coke or something you may find a bartender willing to fill your 32oz cup using the gun. You would just need your seapass card then. I have no idea if they would do that, as I have never tried, but it may work. 

Would love that option, but I’m picky. I want caffeine free sugar free soda and the bars usually have only Coke, Diet Coke, and sprite. That’s why I am so excited to sail Caribbean with the freestyle machines. On my recent Norwegian Cruise I was relegated to water at night. Yuck!

13 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

Would love that option, but I’m picky. I want caffeine free sugar free soda and the bars usually have only Coke, Diet Coke, and sprite. That’s why I am so excited to sail Caribbean with the freestyle machines. On my recent Norwegian Cruise I was relegated to water at night. Yuck!

I’ve had no problem getting Coke Zero at bars onboard, though usually it’s in cans 

20 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't know if the minimum time period between Freestyle drinks is still in effect, but there was a time when they would make you wait 15 minutes between uses of the Freestyle machine.

Bob, last week I removed a cup from Freestyle on Allure and it wasn't full.  Replaced it and message said had to wait a minute and saw a seconds countdown.  By the way, the 50th Anniversary cups are kind of fragile - cracked based just setting down on stone deck in Solarium.  Heard a complaint from someone that they were charged $5 to replace one (as opposed to previously reported no replacement). 

And I also tried using an old unused cup from a previous cruise before we got ours in the room.  Old cup worked fine, with 2 week expiration.  So at least on Allure unused cups that are several years old will work.  And the RFID chip is not ship-specific.  Did not try using a previously used cup from another ship to see if RFID number is transferred to other ships after use.  We still have about 15 unused cups mostly from ships that don't have Freestyle and we don't keep the used ones. 

They did check your cruise card in bars when they don't know you and you ask to fill one of the tumblers.  And they will fill your own cups (like Teva) as long as you have a soda package.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Bob, last week I removed a cup from Freestyle on Allure and it wasn't full.  Replaced it and message said had to wait a minute and saw a seconds countdown.  By the way, the 50th Anniversary cups are kind of fragile - cracked based just setting down on stone deck in Solarium.  Heard a complaint from someone that they were charged $5 to replace one (as opposed to previously reported no replacement). 

And I also tried using an old unused cup from a previous cruise before we got ours in the room.  Old cup worked fine, with 2 week expiration.  So at least on Allure unused cups that are several years old will work.  And the RFID chip is not ship-specific.  Did not try using a previously used cup from another ship to see if RFID number is transferred to other ships after use.  We still have about 15 unused cups mostly from ships that don't have Freestyle and we don't keep the used ones. 

They did check your cruise card in bars when they don't know you and you ask to fill one of the tumblers.  And they will fill your own cups (like Teva) as long as you have a soda package.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ryanbarckley said:

you can’t use your own reusable cup in the freestyle machines. 

you can-  its just takes a little preplanning and a solid stomp to the provided cup.

I can't tell you the number of times I have been told it won't work as I start to fill up my Yeti only to have the persons jaw drop as it starts to flow

Edited by proggieus
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

On the Navigator in September the cup I received (see below) with the 50 years logo holds 20oz. I used a measuring cup because I track my water intake.

We have two cups, both of ours also measure 20 oz exactly to the rim. I just measured to check. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2019 at 5:22 PM, proggieus said:

you can-  its just takes a little preplanning and a solid stomp to the provided cup.

I can't tell you the number of times I have been told it won't work as I start to fill up my Yeti only to have the persons jaw drop as it starts to flow

There was a youtube video on how to do this.  Basically break open the bottom of the cup, take out the RFID, and tape it to the back of a sea pass card.  When you go to a machine, place the card down where the cup would go, place the cup on top, and start filling.

18 hours ago, bobkins40 said:

I NEED THIS CUP! hoping they have the same one on Oasis in March !  shhhhhh…. I will be 50 soon

We sailed on Anthem in June to celebrate DW's 50th birthday. Would have loved to receive one of those cups.  We got a cup with a bucket handle and a flexible straw. They are both still in the wrapper.

21 minutes ago, Rewind said:

There was a youtube video on how to do this.  Basically break open the bottom of the cup, take out the RFID, and tape it to the back of a sea pass card.  When you go to a machine, place the card down where the cup would go, place the cup on top, and start filling.

We saw a family filling up all of their very large Yeti cups using a sea pass with a chip taped to it.  The father stammered they weren't sharing, they all had the regular cups in the cabin, was just easier to fill them this way.🙄

28 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Yep..done this..slipped the bottom insert with the chip on it into an empty clear card holder and added to my lanyard.  Placed that under a cup and filled at FreeStyle machines.  My reasoning was to just to be able to use the smaller cups readily available everywhere so I didn't have to lug around and use a dirty cup.  I also like some flavors only available in the FreeStyle machines.

34 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Basically break open the bottom of the cup, take out the RFID, and tape it to the back of a sea pass card. 

That (taping to the seapass card) may work on RFID cards, but probably not a good idea on ships which still use the old mag stripe door locks and point of sale systems.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:52 PM, bobkins40 said:

I NEED THIS CUP! hoping they have the same one on Oasis in March !  shhhhhh…. I will be 50 soon

They come in several colors, as well.  Sadly the purple one cracked on the bottom before the end of the cruise.

• Like 2