Cost of Ship Tour

Bgwest

Searched but couldn’t find the answer. Have a spring 2020 transatlantic on the Sky  coming up and would like to do a ship tour. Never done one. Don’t know anything about it. Anyone know about availability and cost?

It is $150 but you get a few gifts. I received a robe, an apron, personalized pad of paper, a picture frame, and photos of the tour. You go behind the scenes in the Princess Theater, the crew deck where the laundry, food storage, photo lab, and engine control room is. You go into the kitchen. You also get to have cocktails in the bridge with the captain.

Edited by denmarks
  • Like 1

If you want to go on the Ultimate Ship's Tour, then try and get on board as quickly as you can and go immediately to Guest Services and sign up for it as there is a limit to how many people can go on the tour and the list tends to fill up quickly.  If you change your mind for whatever reason, you can always take your name off the list as long as you do it before the tour is scheduled. The only problem is that they never know the day that the tour will be scheduled (but it's always on a sea day.)  If you are the kind of person who likes to know how things are done you will really enjoy the tour!

Tom

• Like 2

Also, pack to plan for the bling that you get after the tour. The picture frame and the tablet are heavy and the robes weigh 2+ pounds each. Each participant gets one of everything.

You'll need room for the goodies and room in your suitcase or carry on. Plus don't forget the weight limit if your flying.

• Like 2

It is the type of thing which you only do once..

Ours was about 3 hours.... and finished at the bridge ... where the Captain was happy to answer any questions and chatted to us for about 15 minutes .....

Then off to the wheelhouse bay for a glass of Fizz and some nibbles....

Overall very good and worth the money

Cheers Don

It comes down to supply and demand. There is a very limited supply and a large demand so........

I was glad I did it, it was interesting, but I doubt I would do it again.  It's an interesting "one time" experience. 

I still use my robe. Maybe I will do it again if I ever need a new one 🙂

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Have you priced the gifts you get?  It is well worth it.  Instead of an apron, they use to give a chef's jacket.  I still use mine for fun.

I have & really don't see much value in any of it.

We've accumulated numerous robes over the years and don't have room for any more.

The chef's jacket is a joke to most people & unless you can sell it on eBay for a few dollars it'll just take up more room in the closet. It's just not for our style of entertaining. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

I have & really don't see much value in any of it.

We've accumulated numerous robes over the years and don't have room for any more.

The chef's jacket is a joke to most people & unless you can sell it on eBay for a few dollars it'll just take up more room in the closet. It's just not for our style of entertaining. 

You wouldn't like to talk to the Captain on the bridge?

9 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

You wouldn't like to talk to the Captain on the bridge?

I've been to most of the bridges on all the different classes of ships at one time or another so it's not a big attraction. If you haven't seen one it might be interesting. That's a hard one to put a dollar value on. 

We generally get to talk to the Captain on most cruises at the MTP function. 

We took this tour on the Star.  It was really neat to see the behind the scenes, laundry room, kitchen, where the anchors are stored, the medical area and the bridge.  I am glad we did it but its one of those things once and done.  I don't think I would take the tour again.  We had our 15 yr old granddaughter with us and she found it very interesting.  As to the cost and is it worth it, that's an individual choice.  We thought it was worth it to us.  Each of us got a very nice robe, an apron, pad with our names on it and pictures.

• Like 2

We also had a ton of OBC to use up the time we took the tour. I'm glad we did it, but I don't need to do it again. The items you get are nice if you want them. I wear my robe occasionally. I think DH's is still in the package as are our aprons as well. We framed a better photo of us and gave the frames to our mothers.

I did it on a west bound TA where I had OBC to cover it.  It was very informative and a great tour but not for everybody.  As an engineer I found it to be excellent and answered many of the thinks I have wondered about.  Just wish we could have  spent more time in the engine control room.  

6 hours ago, abbiep said:

We took this tour on the Star.  It was really neat to see the behind the scenes, laundry room, kitchen, where the anchors are stored, the medical area and the bridge.  I am glad we did it but its one of those things once and done.  I don't think I would take the tour again.  We had our 15 yr old granddaughter with us and she found it very interesting.  As to the cost and is it worth it, that's an individual choice.  We thought it was worth it to us.  Each of us got a very nice robe, an apron, pad with our names on it and pictures.

Have you priced personalized note pads on the internet?

DON

31 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Have you priced personalized note pads on the internet?

DON

Nope, I didn't take the tour to get a deal on items.  I took the tour because it sounded interesting and my family and I thought it was.  It was in our budget so we did it.  We set a budget, we don't buy the photo package, we don't buy the alcohol package, we spend our money one seeing and doing new things. That's our personal choice.  Everyone else needs to do what works for them.

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I think DH's is still in the package as are our aprons as well. We framed a better photo of us and gave the frames to our mothers.

That's probably where most of the items end up or given to Goodwill at some point.