No refrigerator

eagletwo

We are sailing on the Carnival Sunshine November 21st in a Vista balcony cabin, deck 7.  Seems there is no refrigerator in this cabin.  Besides asking our room steward for a bucket of ice daily, are there any other options?  Would like to keep some soda and water cold.

When we have had a cabin without a fridge, we bring a small, soft-sided cooler with us (folds up nicely in the suitcase) and keep it on the floor of the shower. We tip the room steward the first day and ask him to keep the cooler and the ice bucket filled all the time. That has always worked for us.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, eagletwo said:

Thanks for your advice.  I had already confirmed with the Carnival rep about no mini fridge.

7325        9C          185/75 sq ft
Beds: twin/king 
View: window and wrap-around balcony                             
Bathroom: shower-toilet-sink   
Features: flat-screen TV, telephone, 110 AC current, individual climate control, hair dryer, safe, 2-closets, desk and ottoman seat, sitting area with sofa and coffee table
Balcony features: 2 patio chairs and table / balcony partition opens to: 7319

17 hours ago, eagletwo said:

We are sailing on the Carnival Sunshine November 21st in a Vista balcony cabin, deck 7.  Seems there is no refrigerator in this cabin.  Besides asking our room steward for a bucket of ice daily, are there any other options?  Would like to keep some soda and water cold.

If it honestly doesn't have a mini-fridge, you could ask; however, they do hold all extra for persons who need one for medical reasons.  I wouldn't expect to get one the first day.

We have taken the ice bucket/cooler route in the past and had no issues.  

12 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Personally, I have found the AC keeps the room colder than their mini refrigerators!   LOL    We tipped our cabin steward on the first day and asked for ice.  He replaced our ice three times a day and never went without.   

Keep the cabinet door open that the fridge is in, and it'll stay very cold. If you keep the cabinet door closed, the same hot air recirculates and the motor cannot get cool. If you allow cooler/fresh air to circulate, then it gets cold. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Keep the cabinet door open that the fridge is in, and it'll stay very cold. If you keep the cabinet door closed, the same hot air recirculates and the motor cannot get cool. If you allow cooler/fresh air to circulate, then it gets cold. 

^^^^^This. Very true and it works. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 6:08 PM, eagletwo said:

Thanks for your advice.  I had already confirmed with the Carnival rep about no mini fridge.

We sailed the sunshine twice and needed to request a fridge. Its difficult. We had a medicine that needed to be 

refrigerated and I guess I am learning I should have contacted the special needs dept ahead of time. We did end

up with one each sailing but it was a huge fight. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:42 AM, missholly24 said:

We sailed the sunshine twice and needed to request a fridge. Its difficult. We had a medicine that needed to be 

refrigerated and I guess I am learning I should have contacted the special needs dept ahead of time. We did end

up with one each sailing but it was a huge fight. 

Without belaboring the point, can you describe what a huge fight means to you?  I cannot imagine what there is to fight about.  

On 10/29/2019 at 8:27 AM, Cafedumonde said:

Some cabins do not have refrigerators?  Why?  That seems very strange.  Is it just on sunshine?

When the Sunshine was originally built, it was the  Destiny.  None of the cabins had refrigerators except the suites.  When they took her in and converted her to the Sunshine, they added the refrigerators to some of the cabins.  The same will probably be on the Sunrise and Radiance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

When the Sunshine was originally built, it was the  Destiny.  None of the cabins had refrigerators except the suites.  When they took her in and converted her to the Sunshine, they added the refrigerators to some of the cabins.  The same will probably be on the Sunrise and Radiance.

While I understand your logic, on both the Sunrise and the Radiance, all cabins will have mini fridges, albeit a tad smaller.

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While I understand your logic, on both the Sunrise and the Radiance, all cabins will have mini fridges, albeit a tad smaller.

That was why I said probably.  I hadn't heard one way or the other.  Good to know that they are adding at least some kind even if they are smaller.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Without belaboring the point, can you describe what a huge fight means to you?  I cannot imagine what there is to fight about.  

Haha well they said absolutely not they did not have a fridge for us. I had my sons medication sealed (needs to be refrigerated after opening. I always bring a new bottle for travel). I thought there would be a fridge in every room I hadn’t remembered ever not having one. I spoke with a few people up the chain. Once I got high enough they said of course they could find one. It showed up within a few hours. No punches were thrown if that’s what you mean. 😛

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

Haha well they said absolutely not they did not have a fridge for us. I had my sons medication sealed (needs to be refrigerated after opening. I always bring a new bottle for travel). I thought there would be a fridge in every room I hadn’t remembered ever not having one. I spoke with a few people up the chain. Once I got high enough they said of course they could find one. It showed up within a few hours. No punches were thrown if that’s what you mean. 😛

Well that is good, all is well that ends well. Does not sound luke much of a fight to me, glad it all worked out.   

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well that is good, all is well that ends well. Does not sound luke much of a fight to me, glad it all worked out.   

Well I was flat out told no by two or three people. Had to go down to guest services in person and speak to supervisor. I don't like yelling on a cruise. lol. It was definitely a fight. Had to act a little crazy to get a response. 

Edited by missholly24
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, missholly24 said:

18 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I'm pretty easy going, but if I had a child needing refrigerated medication and had to go through several layers of staff it would seem like a fight.  Especially since people are often told that when cruising the staff will do anything they can to see to your needs.  

Advocating for your child unfortunately often feels like a fight for the parent, even if it doesn't seem so to an uninvolved outsider.

• Like 2