2 cruises away from Elite status. Am I crazy?

calicakes

So, I currently have 130 points.  I thought I would be Elite after my next cruise in Dec 2020.  That is our first suite cabin so 8 points x 12 nights is 96 points.  So, then I'll be at 226 points and I need 300 to be Elite.  I was looking on X's website, trying to figure out a cruise that would get me to Elite BEFORE the Dec 2020 cruise.  The thing is, its kinda a PITA to get to Ft. Lauderdale since we're in Los Angeles and we already have 2 trips planned for 2020( The holiday cruise and a Naples(FL) trip for our 10th anniversary in May.  My wife says to me " Why do you want to be Elite so badly"?  I said " I don't know".  So, I went to the website to look at the benefits.  Really, the only benefit I see that would help us on the Dec 2020 cruise is the free laundry.  We don't drink alcohol, and we already have the premium beverage package for that cruise.  We're not super social, so hobnobbing it with the Officer's at various Elite events is not something we'd probably even attend.  Is there other benefits I don't know about?  

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Pay for the laundry, it will be cheaper...

I understand the temptation to chase status but it is a pretty expensive hobby if it becomes an end in itself.

So true. Have a look at just how much it would cost in cruise fare to get to Elite. There are no perks I can think of that is worth pursuing just for the status. All in good time.

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

So you would need 170 points before December 2020.  A Penthouse Suite gives 18 points per night so if you booked a 10 night cruise in a Penthouse Suite you would be Elite in December 2020. A laudable goal but how much is free laundry worth? 

I know, I sound crazy, even to myself. 

Just an FYI.  We've had 4 cruises with X, all in AQ and that didn't get us to Elite.  One more in a suite and still not Elite. I never realized how many you need to get there.   We have 1250.00 in OBC for our Dec 2020 cruise, more than enough for a bag of laundry. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

I would not go on a cruise just to reach a certain level on any line , but when you make elite you are also then diamond on rccl which gives you a balcony discount if you want to try them. 

I thought we'd try MSC cruises in the Yacht club since they will status match as well. 

I am you.  It’s not the benefits, it’s the title!  Haha. We’re 25 points away from Elite so I booked a quick 5 day Caribbean out of Miami in Aqua Class so we’d be Elite before our Dublin cruise next spring.  Husbands just don’t get it.  😂

I agree that it's not worth it to chase a status level. There are some benefits, but nothing I'd go out of my way for to achieve.  I try to maximize my points on the cruises that we take. I book what we feel comfortable with and then look for upgrades as different promotions and price changes occur.  Sometimes it works out and other times we end up with the cabin we originally booked.  

32 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I know, I sound crazy, even to myself. 

Just an FYI.  We've had 4 cruises with X, all in AQ and that didn't get us to Elite.  One more in a suite and still not Elite. I never realized how many you need to get there.   We have 1250.00 in OBC for our Dec 2020 cruise, more than enough for a bag of laundry. 

You think elite is bad. Try reaching for zenith. We have 19 cruises with Celebrity and are just a little more than half where there. Never going to happen.

35 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I thought we'd try MSC cruises in the Yacht club since they will status match as well. 

That’s our next cruise also, whats very cool about msc since this is Veterans Day, is they give veterans a ten percent discount which is higher discount than any of the matching, but matching gives us a free specialty restaurant and other things. 

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

Just an FYI.  We've had 4 cruises with X, all in AQ and that didn't get us to Elite.  One more in a suite and still not Elite. I never realized how many you need to get there. 

The number of cruises and the stateroom category are only two of the factors.  The length of each cruise is also important.   We reached Elite (I hate that word) after four cruises on X, all TAs, none in a cabin category higher than a C2 (and one of the cruises was in an FV, which is a lower category).  So it's not really "how many you need to get there" in and of itself.

We don't chase the points.  We pick the cruises we want to go on with the cruise lines that are offering them. 

I was desperate to get to Elite due the priority tendering perk.

We had a bad experience in Split, where it took us 3 HOURS to get off the Eclipse. I was told I should have booked a ship’s excursion to guarantee getting off the ship early.

We got to Elite Plus and thought about how much we would save on evening cocktails, laundry, Internet....Then they introduced the Suite Life and our RS perks made the Elite Plus perks more or less redundant. Not complaining, just an observation!

We still enjoy an Elite breakfast or two each cruise and occasionally go to one of the events...If you do decide to book a RS/PH to get there fast, Beware! You will then want the higher suite perks each cruise....

Like Chezmarylou, we will never get to Zenith but we intend to have fun trying! Our son might....

You're lucky @calicakes our first X cruise was in an inside and we've done verandas since so it's taking ages to get to Elite. I'll be 17 points short after our Feb cruise so will hit it in September with the Iceland cruise. Will have to book at least one other just to be elite lol 

Elite and E plus perks are good for us for priority boarding,  debarkation, internet,  laundry,  lite breakfast,  and the cocktail hour, if needed  ( probably will rely on that  more so in the future when we book without  paying an upcharge for Classic Alcohol perk...we do not drink that much to pay extra per day)

We earned  our level the  traditional  way,  cruise by cruise.....mostly in  AQ class once it began.   In reality,  the focus now is on suite guests who are paying much more for their cruises...Many  priority advantages are diluted, esp with added suites.

Now they are selling packages where folks can buy priority , so we expect to see more dilution of perk impacts for long time loyal customers.

I would not think it is worth it to chase points unless you want that extra cruise!

• Like 1

We are Elite plus and enjoy the perks   We sail exclusively in sky suites and above now.  However, as someone else said the cost of laundry is much cheaper and priority boarding not a big deal as all passengers get on board relatively quickly.  We also take the all inclusive package which IMO is worth the cost

good luck and keep cruising 

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Elite and E plus perks are good for us for priority boarding,  debarkation, internet,  laundry,  lite breakfast,  and the cocktail hour, if needed  ( probably will rely on that  more so in the future when we book without  paying an upcharge for Classic Alcohol perk...we do not drink that much to pay extra per day

I'm with you  - this is where the elite happy hour benefit will come in handy as we won't choose the beverage package as a perk anymore due to the upcharge as we don't drink enough alcoholic drinks.  Once we get to Elite+, that'll take care of the cappuccinos etc..  I'll miss not having to sign for each water etc.  

Just now, Shadow9612 said:

What is this referring to?

If you have any for example balcony cabin and take the all inclusive package- worth more then the perks you get from being elite or elite plus.  So pay for laundry- and you do not need the elite lounge as the drinks aren't top shelf and choices limited.   If you have to spend money to upgrade to a suite it cost much more for the perks-  Again, we like suites and it works with our budget- but to overspend for the extra points to go into a suite IMO not worth it at all.  

The all inclusive rate includes drinks, tips, internet  and typically an onboard credit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1