What do you do with your WORKOUT/GYM Clothes?

Hi Everyone

Just wondering those of you that are avid runners or that work out daily on the ship, is the best idea to get laundry done or is there a nifty idea of what you usually do with your gym clothes? Do you bring a weeks worth or wash a few outfits on the ship? Just looking to pack as little as possible while still getting my run in, everyday! Thanks

19 minutes ago, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Hi Everyone

Just wondering those of you that are avid runners or that work out daily on the ship, is the best idea to get laundry done or is there a nifty idea of what you usually do with your gym clothes? Do you bring a weeks worth or wash a few outfits on the ship? Just looking to pack as little as possible while still getting my run in, everyday! Thanks

I usually take gym shorts and t-shirts for work out.  I usually hand wash the shorts and they dry easily.  T-shirts I sent do the laundry.  We are Platinum and get free laundry.

• Like 2

I have always brought a small laundry detergent  with me and hand wash a few items in the sink, that will dry easily hung up on the shower.  This hand washing works for me for regular clothes too as long as they are made of quick drying material (no jeans!)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 4:33 PM, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Hi Everyone

Platinum on Ncl.
Elite on celebrity.

Diamond on RCL.

We do notice the Smell doing Zumba and other activities as 14 nights cruises go on and repeat seeing same clothes on some people ........mildewing..

So we enjoyed our free laundry perks. Very helpful on transatlantic because of less luggage due flights and land vacation in Europe. Wonderful service.

Usually a laundry discount mid cruise anyway.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, imlulu said:

We take enough for the week. We just put in dirty pile. (1 piece of luggage gets all the dirty clothes..midweek and end).

We do the same thing. All dirty clothes that don't make it to laundry (platinum on Carnival at least) go in 1 luggage bag.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2020 at 1:56 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Since I recently became Platinum, I'll check out that free laundry for my workout clothes. Anyone know how quick the turn around is? I've heard that you don't put anything in that can't be washed in HOT water and dried HOT.

Depends on how many of the higher level are on the ship with the free laundry.  My inlaws recently got back from a trip where the turn around time was like 4 days because there were so many people taking advantage of it (in a good way).  But normally its like a day or two.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 1:33 PM, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Hi Everyone

Just wondering those of you that are avid runners or that work out daily on the ship, is the best idea to get laundry done or is there a nifty idea of what you usually do with your gym clothes? Do you bring a weeks worth .or wash a few outfits on the ship? Just looking to pack as little as possible while still getting my run in, everyday! Thanks

I run every day...triathlete.  Older now but it has been our lifestyle even on cruises.

* We bring "quick dry clothing" for running.

* We use the liquid soap and hand wash our workout clothes in the shower.

* We dry them in our balcony.

Disclosure: We now get "free laundry" as one of our loyalty perks with RCCL. No more hand washing.

Edited by bonsai3s
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I throw them away as the week goes. Shorts, shirts, underwear and socks.

When I am not cruising, when I buy new workout clothes, older stock goes on the "Cruise pile". Then when we ars packing for a ruise, I take a clothes for each day I intend to work out. After, I throw them away. Makes it much easier to bring home gifts etc when I am not lugging gross clothes home.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My DH and I are avid runners and will do the same--bring the older gear and after use will discard.  Lighter suitcase and more room for the return home and less laundry.  Same goes with my running shoes--a retired pair of running shoes that I will offer to my stateroom attendant(s)/butler when the cruise is over.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's easy when you have a balcony...

I do Cardio for a hour in Morning & then either Hang outside or in Bathroom.

Then in late arvo (5-6) to weights.. Gym is usually quite only with higher staff members working out.. I will then rinse /wash the clothes out in shower. hang them on Balcony or in Bathroom. Overnight to dry. I will wear for one more work-out, then send off to be washed with my complimentry Platnium laundary perk.

I take 3 shirts & 2 shorts...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 4:33 PM, TRAVELBUGCRUISER said:

Hi Everyone

I hand wash everything workout related. I try to be careful choose easy to dry fabrics, and I admit I overpack !

Mark, feel free to shoot me an email, love chatting with fellow cruisers.

newsenmark@gmail.com 

00.26.04.jpg

• 3 months later...

Would never have thought about throwing out the gym clothing - If I find something I am comfortable in (especially shorts), I tend to hang onto them for a while, so on the ship I usually bring 2 pairs of shorts & 3 shirts (all dry-fit) and wash them after use. As mentioned above, place them on balcony (and bring clips so they do not fly away). [The only time I throw away clothing is for something like the Disney Marathon Weekend in January - its cold in the early AM, so will buy some heavy clothing to start out with (from a second hand store), then discard it when I begin running (Disney collects the discarded clothing and donates them to a local shelter).

• 7 months later...

Holland America has an unlimited laundry option which has been super helpful especially with longer cruises. 

On land vacations we usually find a laundromat that offers same-day service at a mid-point, if you have a longer stay in a port this might be an option too 

Similar to what others mentioned:

- I try to favor quick dry shorts over leggings, wash in the shower and air dry in the shower or clip to chairs on the balcony, even in colder climates usually dry by the next day

- I try for shirts with a shelf bra so I don't have to get a second sports bra dirty every every workout, certainly better for yoga or static lifting days, similar idea with shorts that have a built in liner

- Small bottle of febreeze helps with a single second wear

- Diaper bags are great to hold dirty clothes, they are intended to be waterproof and are thick enough that they really keep smells in

- Reserve wearing dirty workout clothes for outdoor workouts 🙂

• Thanks 1