Do you book directly with the cruise line?

Frostecat

Looking for suggestions of where to book a cruise through.  Do you typically book with the actual cruise line, or do you find better perks with booking somewhere else?  I'm not asking for specific agents (I know that is against the rules), but do you have better perks with other on-line travel sites?  I was going to book through a members only club for a extra gift card, but when I call there the wait is over an hour.  Not sure if I want to deal with that while on a cruise in a foreign country.  Also noticed a discount travel website that is offering a "kick-back" after the cruise.  Just want to be sure I get the most bang for my buck, but also, if I need service I don't have to jump through hoops.

We've used the same on-line travel agent for cruises on Princess (over 20 cruises), MSC (first cruise coming up next month) and the river cruise line Uniworld (3 cruises) and always receive a 7 to 10% discount (and sometimes even a percent or two higher) and occasionally additional on board credits.  I know that in the case of Princess cruises, agencies are not allowed to advertise discounted fares so I need to contact my TA directly.  So if you are considering using a TA don't rely on published fares, contact the agency for a price quote.   I'm not sure what the policies of other cruise lines are on agency advertisements so you might want to contact agencies directly too. 

• Like 1

We used to book through the cruise line, then discovered if we went through a travel agent, they offered incentives ranging from onboard credit to wine to dinners in the specialty restaurant - something we never had when we booked directly.  As a result, we've booked the last 7 cruises through a travel agent, and if there's ever an issue, she's available to deal with it, day or night.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

If you are experience an hour wait just to book the cruise I would hang up and run. When you are booking you are getting the optimal experience because they want your business, just imagine how it will be when you are already committed and need help. I do some of both. A lot of it depends on the cruise line. I haven't found any TA's like some people do who get consistent discounts and credits on cruises. When I use a TA to book it's usually an online TA. The one I use does a good job with customer service. There is always someone there to take your call 24 hours a day, which I like, and they consistently have good deals on celebrity. When they don't offer a better deal than the cruise line directly, I book through the cruise line. 

First, and this is just my preference, I would NEVER book through any on-line travel agency, whether it's for a cruise or a land-based vacation. If you have a question, or a problem that needs to be  resolved as soon as possible,  contacting an agent via the internet is not the most expedient way to get something taken care of. Our preferred method is to book directly with the cruise line, but we have also booked through a local brick & mortar agency. Perks are nice to get, depending on what they are, but aren't a determining factor in how we book our cruises.

8 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

First, and this is just my preference, I would NEVER book through any on-line travel agency, whether it's for a cruise or a land-based vacation. If you have a question, or a problem that needs to be  resolved as soon as possible,  contacting an agent via the internet is not the most expedient way to get something taken care of.

In my experience, an on-line agency does not mean you can only 'converse' via email!  We 'converse' by phone and text too.  If her phone line is busy, there is always a back-up agent if I don't want to wait or leave a message.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, capriccio said:

In my experience, an on-line agency does not mean you can only 'converse' via email!  We 'converse' by phone and text too.  If her phone line is busy, there is always a back-up agent if I don't want to wait or leave a message.

+1

i always chuckle at comments like "I want to own my booking." That person may be forgetting that s/he is a rounding error in acryise line's bottom line while it's top-selling TAs may book millions of dollars per year. Whose calls do you think get answered/actioned most immediately by the cruise line?

• Like 2

Always with our on line TA.  Once direct when it was advantageous for us to book direct with RCI in Sydney for an OZ/NZ cruise.

We have never had an issue reaching our on line TA by phone.    We view this strictly as a commercial transaction.  We are not looking for a new best friend when we deal with our TA.  We simply want to get the cruise booked at the best price, net of TA provided OBC's.  Plus, we want her unbiased opinion and feedback on ships that we are considering.

Edited by iancal

We've booked direct and through an online TA and the determining factor has always been the total package. We have had good luck booking direct with the cruise line, including one or two great upgrades, but if a TA offered a better total package, we would take it.

I guess my best answer then is to do your research, check prices, and ask friends. We do have a couple of tips:

1. Don't pay the complete price before the due date, especially if booking direct. Should the room rate drop, you can always ask for the new rate, or an upgrade, and not having made final payment gives you better leverage.
  2. Get the travel insurance, but it's not necessary to buy it until the final payment due date. Should you need to cancel before final payment, you will not be refunded the insurance payment in most cases.

12 minutes ago, Daytona_MAc said:

.....Get the travel insurance, but it's not necessary to buy it until the final payment due date. Should you need to cancel before final payment, you will not be refunded the insurance payment in most cases.

This would be somewhat "pennywise and pound foolish" if you want a waiver of PECs. There are only a handful of insurers who will grant that waiver as late as final payment time. 

We have also booked cruises and other travel products with TA's and travel vendor offices in other countries.   When we travel internationally we take our NA prices and compare them with in country prices in those other countries.   We have enjoyed significant discounts on hotels, air, and on one cruise by doing this.

9 minutes ago, iancal said:

We have also booked cruises and other travel products with TA's and travel vendor offices in other countries.   When we travel internationally we take our NA prices and compare them with in country prices in those other countries.   We have enjoyed significant discounts on hotels, air, and on one cruise by doing this.

Though it may not be important/possible/whatever for non-US folks to have this requirement, know that I would never book a cruise with a TA who is not registered as a "seller of travel" in the State of California. 

We have purchased air direct with the airline in Argentina and Turkey, a cruise direct with the cruise line in Australia, an African safari direct with the provider in S. Africa, and hotels either direct or through travel vendors in other countries, plus Greek holiday package on a UK website.   The latter called us back in Canada to finalize the buy.     Never had an issue.  We only do it if the savings are substantial-and they sometimes are.

Edited by iancal

We always book future cruises while onboard RC and Celebrity. I advise the FCC not to transfer the bookings to the TA of record. When I get home I call the TA and negotiate for additional perks/savings. The TA I use always sweetens the deal. Celebrity and RC allows up to 60 days after purchase to transfer bookings to a TA.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frostecat said:

Do you typically book with the actual cruise line, or do you find better perks with booking somewhere else?

We use both.  Sometimes we just book directly.  Other times we use a TA.  Depends on whether the TA gives us any perks for using them.  

I often book with the cruise line directly when I am searching for cruises as it is easy to do online.  Then I later transfer to a TA for available perks.  Trick is that most lines now limit the time you have to do the transfer so you have to pay attention to that.

5 hours ago, Frostecat said:

Do you typically book with the actual cruise line, or do you find better perks with booking somewhere else? 

I have never been given any perks when booking through a TA but I used to use a TA because I thought it may be good in case I should need any help with something.

My TA could not help us with anything when hurricane Sandy closed the New York airports so after that we book with the cruiseline instead.

We have used the same large online TA for many years, even if we book direct to pick up something special we always transfer to the online TA.  The TA we use usually gives us pre paid gratuities or a matching amount of OBC and always a Specialty Dining certificate. For a few years they were also including free limited insurance.  As others  have said, if you have a problem the cruise line responds to a big TA much quicker then a cubicle dweller responds to a direct reservation. happy cruising  

Does anyone know at what point it is too late to transfer a booking to a TA?  I have a cruise booked for a May sailing that is nearly paid for, but I think I would like to have a TA take over for me.  Also, how can I find a good online TA?

36 minutes ago, NotADude said:

Does anyone know at what point it is too late to transfer a booking to a TA?  I have a cruise booked for a May sailing that is nearly paid for, but I think I would like to have a TA take over for me.  Also, how can I find a good online TA?

I believe you have to do it within 60 days Of booking...

41 minutes ago, NotADude said:

It depends on the cruise line.  There is a time limit from the original booking date as to when (if) you can transfer to a TA.  Some cruise lines it's as short as 30 days, others it's 60.  There may be other time limits, I don't know.

14 hours ago, Frostecat said:

Looking for suggestions of where to book a cruise through.  Do you typically book with the actual cruise line, or do you find better perks with booking somewhere else?

Have not read the answers above, answering direct from your question. We book through an PCC/CVP (cruise line employees assigned to me personally). The benefits outweigh the perks any TA could offer. Don't believe those who say you won't get perks from the cruiseline -- within this week my Princess CVP found me OBC on two cruises, and my HAL PCC offered my a private sale equivalent to the rack rate of the beverage package. My PCC also was able to book me in a room that was not showing available on line.

I have back-up people to call for both of them, or my emails are "date stamped" for any time sensitive decisions, such as a cancellation two days before Xmas when the Final Payment day was Xmas eve.

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Have not read the answers above, answering direct from your question. We book through an PCC/CVP (cruise line employees assigned to me personally). The benefits outweigh the perks any TA could offer. Don't believe those who say you won't get perks from the cruiseline -- within this week my Princess CVP found me OBC on two cruises, and my HAL PCC offered my a private sale equivalent to the rack rate of the beverage package. My PCC also was able to book me in a room that was not showing available on line.

I have back-up people to call for both of them, or my emails are "date stamped" for any time sensitive decisions, such as a cancellation two days before Xmas when the Final Payment day was Xmas eve.

Actually, you may want to "read the answers above."

Sure, a PCC/CVP can make sure that every possible perk offered by a cruise line for your particular cruise is on your account. But, so can any good TA, especially one who is a top seller for that line. "Quiet" sales? Yes, that top selling TA has access as well. 

BUT, what a TA has that a PCC/CVP doesn't have is the ability to share their commission. And if your "share" (in the form of refundable SBC or a rebate) amounts to 5-10% of the commissionable fare, that can be a healthy "chunk o' change," particularly on longer "expensive" itineraries.

I hope that you realize it is possible to initially book with a cruise line and then transfer to a TA within the allowable time window. We do this with onboard bookings that we then shop around to our several favorite TAs who do share commissions.

I've booked 4 cruises, through 4 different TA's.  First 2 were organized by a family member so I just went with that person's TA choice.  3rd was done through the TA other family members use for most of their cruising but she didn't offer any additional perks (possibly doesn't much business with the CL of choice so there wasn't much to give).  The last one was through a TA available through work, got some OBC from them.