Maasdam being refused Practique in Fiji

VK3DQ

Hi folks.

We are at the port of Savusavu and are currently held up as locals refusing to allow anyone ashore who has not had Measles vaxcine.

Captain on phone to health dept but to no avail.

Will report as we go along.

Regards. John

• Thanks 2

Are they asking for proof? I was on the Veendam once in St. Lucia where they demanded yellow fever vaccination certificates if you wanted off, coming from the Amazon near where there had been an outbreak. They would not accept doctor's letters saying you shouldn't get a shot.

Edited by Wehwalt

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

Are they asking for proof? I was on the Veendam once in St. Lucia where they demanded yellow fever vaccination certificates if you wanted off, coming from the Amazon near where there had been an outbreak. They would not accept doctor's letters saying you shouldn't get a shot.

I was on Amazon Explorer when that happened!  Glad I had my yellow immunization card with me.  I had the measles as a child.   How on earth could I prove that, I wonder?

Edited by HokiePoq

Got vaccinated as a kid in Holland; left two distinctive but small "imprints" on my upper right arm so I carry my proof with me :classic_wink: It would have been nice if the Fijian government had given a heads up to those visiting that island country, especially to a cruise line whose Fijian port call has been known for at least one year

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Samoa has a measles epidemic, with over 70 deaths,  Fiji is now reporting cases of measles.

Thank you. I understand. Though this is a lesson learned for me. If I travel in remote areas, I might need to consider these types of situations.

11 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

I had the measles and rubella as a child; pretty much all of us born in the US before 1960 did.  How can I prove that I'm immune?

Well, not all of us did.

I had to get a measles shot when I got married, as my blood work showed no immunity.  Fast forward to this past year, blood work still shows no immunity, so had to get another one.

Back to the question - I suppose that's something that's going to have to be worked out with the measles problem going on currently.

You can ask your doctor to run a titer test to see if you're immune.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Got vaccinated as a kid in Holland; left two distinctive but small "imprints" on my upper right arm so I carry my proof with me :classic_wink: It would have been nice if the Fijian government had given a heads up to those visiting that island country, especially to a cruise line whose Fijian port call has been known for at least one year

I wasn't aware that MMR vaccine left a mark.  Are you sure that's not a smallpox vaccine scar on your upper arm?  

• Like 4

Sounds like smallpox or BCG to me too, Copper. The stand alone measles vaccine was licensed around 1963 and the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine was licensed in 1971. So those of us born well before these dates would not be vaccinated. My mother tells of “measles parties” in the ‘50’s where the neighbourhood kids would gather with a child with the measles so they would all catch it and get it over and done with! My sister and I became extremely ill. Having nursed a child who died of measles, this practice fills me with horror. But have no way of proving my immunity without getting a blood test.

11 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Sounds like smallpox or BCG to me too, Copper. The stand alone measles vaccine was licensed around 1963 and the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine was licensed in 1971. So those of us born well before these dates would not be vaccinated. My mother tells of “measles parties” in the ‘50’s where the neighbourhood kids would gather with a child with the measles so they would all catch it and get it over and done with! My sister and I became extremely ill. Having nursed a child who died of measles, this practice fills me with horror. But have no way of proving my immunity without getting a blood test.

I'm in that "would have/should have had them already" group, however, when I was young, my two younger sisters got both measles & mumps (not at the same time).  The doctor told my mom "You shouldn't keep your oldest away, let her catch them, also".  My mom said "She sleeps in the same room, in the same bed, eats off the same plates with them.  Do you really think I'm trying for her NOT to catch them?"

One of my sisters also got measles when we were in high school (probably the "other" one that she didn't have as a child) and I was the one who stayed home and took care of her, since my mom was working full time.

Only thing I ever got was chicken pox.  As I said, when tested (twice) I had no immunity to measles.  I did show immunity to mumps, so it's possible I had an extremely mild case at some point.  I've now been immunized against measles (again).