Jeans allowed?

BigIslandersFan

5 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Recently had dinner with my son and wife in Orange County CA at a place costing $60-80 plate. I was getting a cocktail dress ready to wear and my son said, "Mum, it's 88* out, wear shorts". Still wore nice pants. Yet 80% of the people at the restaurant were wearing shorts. I was overdressed.

As Cat Stevens said, "Ooooh baby it's a wild world". 😉

No.....they were wrong.....  By the Way...while Orange county reference, used to mean conservative.....today  is is pretty radical liberal .   So...one would expect  non-conformity 

That dosent make it right... j 

If Oceania wanted to ban all jeans, it would have said so. Dress jeans, often part of a very fashionable ensemble, are allowed. I will follow the dress code, and if I choose to wear my dress jeans to dinner (with a dressy top and nice shoes), I will certinly do so. On our several Oceania Cruises, we have seen dress jeans in every dining venue. I wish people would not impose their own ideas of what constitutes appropriate dress onto others who are in compliance with the stated dress code. And in 2020, ideas of what is appropriate vary greatly; they are regional, cultural, and generational. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

No.....they were wrong.....  By the Way...while Orange county reference, used to mean conservative.....today  is is pretty radical liberal .   So...one would expect  non-conformity 

That dosent make it right... j 

OC has not become "radical liberal". Yes it has voted in some more mainstream candidates and come a long way from the John Birch days. But the point is that "the times they are a'changin' ". They aren't right or wrong- just evolving. As Ptiprof in the post directly above me said so beautifully "ideas of what is appropriate vary greatly; they are regional, cultural and generational..."

7 hours ago, ptiprof said:

If Oceania wanted to ban all jeans, it would have said so. Dress jeans, often part of a very fashionable ensemble, are allowed. I will follow the dress code, and if I choose to wear my dress jeans to dinner (with a dressy top and nice shoes), I will certinly do so. On our several Oceania Cruises, we have seen dress jeans in every dining venue. I wish people would not impose their own ideas of what constitutes appropriate dress onto others who are in compliance with the stated dress code. And in 2020, ideas of what is appropriate vary greatly; they are regional, cultural, and generational. 

Love how nicely you express it. A wise person once said, "Men build too many walls and not enough bridges",

8 hours ago, ptiprof said:

Well said!

I also remember as a little girl I was a junior bridesmaid and my younger sister the flower girl for a family friend's wedding.  Obviously this was far more than a few years ago!  The biggest problem was Mom suddenly remembering we had to have hats to wear and rushing out to buy them at the last minute.  "Why do we have to wear hats, Mommy?"

Times change ...

14 hours ago, clo said:

Except she's wrong re dress code.

We are taking steps to make certain that Guests are aware of and comply with the dress code.  It is now being published in Currents upon embarkation and on a weekly basis. Additionally we will soon be adding the dress code to the menus displayed outside of each dining venue.

Our dress code does permit jeans in the speciality restaurants as long as they are dress jeans and not worn or tattered.  Many other items of attire are prohibited and vigorously enforced such as shorts, sandals, non collared shirts and t shirts and exercise clothes of any type.

Oceania’s dress code has evolved over the last 18 years similar to the dress codes at fine dining shoreside restaurants.  

Times have changed but we are working to make sure that our dress code is known by the Guests and enforced.
The above came from Oceania today
Jancruz1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jan for the update

JMO

Too bad Oceania  is going the way of  the main stream dress codes

IMO  Oceania was a bit more special by not allowing jeans in the past  & caps in the dining venues

They did not ask for fancy dress  just look a bit more tidy than day wear

Too bad

next it will be yoga outfits at dinner ...OH wait they do allow those already 🙄

23 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks Jan for the update

JMO

Too bad Oceania  is going the way of  the main stream dress codes

IMO  Oceania was a bit more special by not allowing jeans in the past  & caps in the dining venues

They did not ask for fancy dress  just look a bit more tidy than day wear

Too bad

next it will be yoga outfits at dinner ...OH wait they do allow those already 🙄

I am with you on this.

I am a VERY casual dresser and abhor formal dress codes - I would have to look very hard in my closet to even find a jacket (I do have a couple well hidden and rarely used somewhere in there 🙂). Oceania was so easy to comply with their "country club casual" dress code.. It was one of the main reasons we stuck with them all those years ago.

How difficult is it for men to wear slacks and collared shirts to dining venues in the evening? I really do not want to see T shirts and baseball caps in those venues as has been reported here more than once - regardless of what people today wear in trendy land based restaurants regionally..

Terrace does allow shorts/sandals (for men) even in the evening if one prefers that casual dress code in the evening.

Over and out.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We don’t have country clubs or Dockers in NZ and slacks are an old term for women’s pants or trousers. If I were to use NZ slang or brand names that Americans didn’t know I certainly wouldn’t be disparaging of you. We have booked our first cruise with Oceania and will follow the dress code but I literally couldn’t care care less what others around me are wearing (unless it’s obscene). We care about where we’re going, what we’ll see - scenery, architecture etc., the people we’ll meet, the photos, the experiences we’ll have and the memories we’ll make...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:
The above came from Oceania today

I'd suggest that you put those comments in quotes and say who said/wrote it.

In addition, if a specialty restaurant is supposed to be SPECIAL then why not have their minimum be the same as the MDR (used deliberately as "grand" seems pretentious.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Brenda said:

We don’t have country clubs or Dockers in NZ and slacks are an old term for women’s pants or trousers. If I were to use NZ slang or brand names that Americans didn’t know I certainly wouldn’t be disparaging of you. We have booked our first cruise with Oceania and will follow the dress code but I literally couldn’t care care less what others around me are wearing (unless it’s obscene). We care about where we’re going, what we’ll see - scenery, architecture etc., the people we’ll meet, the photos, the experiences we’ll have and the memories we’ll make...

What do you call the pants that are part of a suit?

2 hours ago, clo said:

In addition, if a specialty restaurant is supposed to be SPECIAL then why not have their minimum be the same as the MDR (used deliberately as "grand" seems pretentious.

Grand Dining Room goes back to Renaissance days -- Ren went bankrupt shortly after 9/11.  When Oceania started up with the first two "R" ships, they kept the name.  It doesn't bother me to be so "grand" but then It's what I've always known!  And it does seem "grand" compared to the other spaces.

I've been wondering why so many posters use MDR rather than GDR ... I was castigated once by another long-time Ren/Oceania passenger for inadvertently using "MDR".  I understood why ... which has made me more sensitive to the numbers of people that call it the MDR.  I always assumed that could be a carry-over from other lines which may indeed refer to the "Main Dining Room".

Then again, it bothers me when people call Terrace "Terraces" ... I can be very compulsive at times.  (Although DH is far more compulsive than I am!)

It also irritates me to see people adding an apostrophe after any word that ends in "ess" ...  Today (not sure if it was here or on another list) where some used "it's" when it was clear they meant "its" ...

Oh well.  These wars will never end ...

Mura

• Like 1

After  being on another cruise line recently  I would  say the GDR on Oceania is a suitable  title for it

The other was  just  a dining room  the low ceilings & cramped tables made it  so noisy  it was not enjoyable  to be there

Of course  it is just my opinion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If one posts “ codes” and don’t enforce them, there are no codes.

I'm a newbie to O but that's what I think. They have some vague language. Why not just be honest and say "dress how you please"? When the maitre di' at Jacques told me that anything but shorts and flips were fine I got it.

How difficult is it for men to wear slacks andcollared shirts to dining venues in the evening? 

It is not a question of difficulty. These comments and other similar remarks are simply asking why I won’t conform to your personal sense of appropriate dress. If I pack jeans instead of slacks, it’s because I choose to do so and because they are permitted by Oceania. I will not sail Cunard or Seabourn because of their evening dress standards. And personally, I think that capri pants and sandals are far more casual than dressy jeans, but all of these items are allowed. Once again, ideas about appropriate dress and “good manners” are not immutable; times have changed, and dress styles are regional, cultural, and generational. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

After  being on another cruise line recently  I would  say the GDR on Oceania is a suitable  title for it

The other was  just  a dining room  the low ceilings & cramped tables made it  so noisy  it was not enjoyable  to be there

Of course  it is just my opinion

that’s for sure!

4 hours ago, ptiprof said:

How difficult is it for men to wear slacks andcollared shirts to dining venues in the evening? 

It is not a question of difficulty. These comments and other similar remarks are simply asking why I won’t conform to your personal sense of appropriate dress. If I pack jeans instead of slacks, it’s because I choose to do so and because they are permitted by Oceania. I will not sail Cunard or Seabourn because of their evening dress standards. And personally, I think that capri pants and sandals are far more casual than dressy jeans, but all of these items are allowed. Once again, ideas about appropriate dress and “good manners” are not immutable; times have changed, and dress styles are regional, cultural, and generational. 

Well said. Oceania allows dress jeans and that should be all one needs to know.

I do not  (or, at the very least, try not to) impose my values, beliefs or codes (behavior, dress, etc.) on others. If I am not negatively impacted by the behavior of others, I attempt to let it go (sometimes I fail). Yes, I often find others' choice in attire unattractive - for example, I find it especially unattractive to see obese people crammed into clothing that is far too tight (very commonly seen) or unkempt attire worn in nice venues. However, these are my personal observations and I do not inflict them on others. I am not a member of the clothes police force and have no intention of joining. It is the responsibility of the venue to enforce its codes - not mine. jmho

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Well said. Oceania allows dress jeans and that should be all one needs to know.

I do not  (or, at the very least, try not to) impose my values, beliefs or codes (behavior, dress, etc.) on others. If I am not negatively impacted by the behavior of others, I attempt to let it go (sometimes I fail). Yes, I often find others' choice in attire unattractive - for example, I find it especially unattractive to see obese people crammed into clothing that is far too tight (very commonly seen) or unkempt attire worn in nice venues. However, these are my personal observations and I do not inflict them on others. I am not a member of the clothes police force and have no intention of joining. It is the responsibility of the venue to enforce its codes - not mine. jmho

Does that mean you’re comfortable with men wearing baseball caps in restaurants?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1