Immunizations

I just wanted to ask the community about immunizations that may be needed for a Carribean Cruise.  We are sailing on Royal Carribean Liberty of the Seas this spring and I’m looking for help.  Does the CruiseLine require documentation as to immunizations and where do we find out which ones are required/ recommended?  Thanks in advance for any help.

34 minutes ago, purpldoll6x said:

I just wanted to ask the community about immunizations that may be needed for a Carribean Cruise.  We are sailing on Royal Carribean Liberty of the Seas this spring and I’m looking for help.  Does the CruiseLine require documentation as to immunizations and where do we find out which ones are required/ recommended?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Also recommend the CDC website. My doc recommended one of the Hepatitis shots, updated flu shot, and updated tetanus shot. I already had Typhoid from my honeymoon, not sure if that’s on the list. 

It really depends on where you’re visiting and what you’re doing while there.  A trip to the beach won’t be as risky as an overnight stay. 

For travel anywhere South, Hep A & a tetanus booster (if due) are the basic ones usually recommended by the travel medicine clinics.

Regarding the tetanus booster: these are due every 10 years. The doctors rarely explain this, but due to whooping cough flaring up here and there now (thanks, antivaxxers) you should know: there are two tetanus vaccines - Td and Tdap. Tdap covers pertussis (whooping cough) - every adult should get this one once. Afterwards, every 10 years, they should get the Td (tetanus + diphtheria) booster. IMO, this set of boosters should be kept up by adults, no matter where you live or travel, as the bacteria for both tetanus and pertussis can affect you even at home. Whooping cough in adults can be quite debilitating for months afterwards. So ask your doctor specifically about the Tdap, if you have not had a tetanus booster before, as they routinely use the Td.

3 hours ago, sburrus4 said:

Also recommend the CDC website. My doc recommended one of the Hepatitis shots, updated flu shot, and updated tetanus shot.

Edited by snowglobe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, snowglobe said:

For travel anywhere South, Hep A & a tetanus booster (if due) are the basic ones usually recommended by the travel medicine clinics.

Regarding the tetanus booster: these are due every 10 years. The doctors rarely explain this, but due to whooping cough flaring up here and there now (thanks, antivaxxers) you should know: there are two tetanus vaccines - Td and Tdap. Tdap covers pertussis (whooping cough) - every adult should get this one once. Afterwards, every 10 years, they should get the Td (tetanus + diphtheria) booster. IMO, this set of boosters should be kept up by adults, no matter where you live or travel, as the bacteria for both tetanus and pertussis can affect you even at home. Whooping cough in adults can be quite debilitating for months afterwards. So ask your doctor specifically about the Tdap, if you have not had a tetanus booster before, as they routinely use the Td.

I think the issue with these vaccines is that not all medical insurance covers them unless you have an issue.  I asked my doctor for a tetanus shot and he told me it wasn't covered unless warranted.  So basically unless I step on a rusty nail I'm out of luck. The last one I had was over 10 yrs ago because I was scraped by a nail sticking out of a piece of wood.  Maybe the next time I get cut I will head over to urgent care for a shot.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think the issue with these vaccines is that not all medical insurance covers them unless you have an issue.  I asked my doctor for a tetanus shot and he told me it wasn't covered unless warranted.  So basically unless I step on a rusty nail I'm out of luck. The last one I had was over 10 yrs ago because I was scraped by a nail sticking out of a piece of wood.  Maybe the next time I get cut I will head over to urgent care for a shot.

Check with your pharmacy.

Most now give many immunizations, and also deal more with the insurance companies than doctors do.

I get a tetanus booster every 5 years, but travel to a lot of 3rd world countries

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Check with your pharmacy.

Most now give many immunizations, and also deal more with the insurance companies than doctors do.

I get a tetanus booster every 5 years, but travel to a lot of 3rd world countries

Thanks for the tip

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Your doctor is misinformed. Since the ACA took effect ("Obamacare") vaccines recommended by the ACIP are required to be covered. That would include tetanus every 10 years. Only weird old grandfathered plans are exempt. 

We cruised to Caribbean last year and I asked my dr and he told me if i only got a measles vaccine as a child I needed to have my immunity checked and I found out I no longer had immunity to measles mumps and rubella and had to get a booster before my cruise. You may want to consider a measles booster since there have been so many measles outbreaks.

1 hour ago, akb5k said:

Your doctor is misinformed. Since the ACA took effect ("Obamacare") vaccines recommended by the ACIP are required to be covered. That would include tetanus every 10 years. Only weird old grandfathered plans are exempt. 

Thank you I didn't know this. I asked my Dr. before Obamacare and I was also on a different insurance plan at the time. I never followed up. I think I will contact my insurance provider to find out.

22 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

This nurse practitioner would look at the CDC travel website, so that's excellent advice. I also recommend all my patients stay UTD on their TDAP. 

I think both are a good idea.... read CDC yourself, and have an intelligent, informed discussion with your healthcare provider.  

I love my GP, but I'm confident he doesn't know about all the guidelines.  Everyone can look at the CDC info.  Plus, it is an excellent opportunity to discuss needs for boosters, etc.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Or you can just go by the local Walgreens or CVS and get one for $7 (at least in TX you can) 

• Like 1