Majestic Princess, Feb. 16, cruise modification/cancellation

ken_ll

Received late Feb 15/2020

VOYAGE REDEPLOYMENT - 16 FEBRUARY 2020 - MAJESTIC PRINCESS
Due to lack of predictability regarding port availability in our Southeast Asia itineraries, we have made the decision to end your voyage in Fremantle on Saturday, 22 February 2020. Your Princess Air flights will be rebooked to depart from Perth Airport and your new flights will be communicated onboard. In recognition of these changes, all guests that sail on this voyage will receive a refund equal to 60% of the cruise fare paid to the original form of payment. Guests that choose to cancel will receive a 100% refund of all charges paid to the original form of payment. All guests will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 50% of the cruise fare paid (future cruise must sail by February 28, 2021). Guests who incur charges for non-refundable expenses can visit www.princess.com/refund-request for a list of reimbursable expenses and details on submitting a refund request.

Please note that the itinerary below does not yet reflect these changes.

This portion of the cruise is 15 days, (started out from Sydney on Feb. 12 as a 19 day cruise) if sailing and getting off in Perth, you get 60% of cruise fare refunded or don’t sail for 100% and I have yet to clarify if this includes airfare booked through Princess.  Waiting until midnight in a few minutes to call Princess US from Melbourne, probably opting to cancel.  Better this than the Diamond Princess scenario.

14 minutes ago, trudiwilliams@gmail.com said:

We're in Adelaide, and have our bags ready to go. I guess we'll just unpack them now.... so disappointed 😢

Sorry for your cancellation.  That is sad

From the memo they sent to us (ground handler) yes that includes airfares booked. This includes both EZair and independent air.

I personally doubt the ship is going back to Asia anytime soon honestly - the ship was scheduled to go to Keelung for the summer season.

Michael

Edited by eamondzhang

7 hours ago, ken_ll said:

Received late Feb 15/2020

VOYAGE REDEPLOYMENT - 16 FEBRUARY 2020 - MAJESTIC PRINCESS
Due to lack of predictability regarding port availability in our Southeast Asia itineraries, we have made the decision to end your voyage in Fremantle on Saturday, 22 February 2020. Your Princess Air flights will be rebooked to depart from Perth Airport and your new flights will be communicated onboard. In recognition of these changes, all guests that sail on this voyage will receive a refund equal to 60% of the cruise fare paid to the original form of payment. Guests that choose to cancel will receive a 100% refund of all charges paid to the original form of payment. All guests will also receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 50% of the cruise fare paid (future cruise must sail by February 28, 2021). Guests who incur charges for non-refundable expenses can visit www.princess.com/refund-request for a list of reimbursable expenses and details on submitting a refund request.

Please note that the itinerary below does not yet reflect these changes.

This portion of the cruise is 15 days, (started out from Sydney on Feb. 12 as a 19 day cruise) if sailing and getting off in Perth, you get 60% of cruise fare refunded or don’t sail for 100% and I have yet to clarify if this includes airfare booked through Princess.  Waiting until midnight in a few minutes to call Princess US from Melbourne, probably opting to cancel.  Better this than the Diamond Princess scenario.

What a shock for passengers, at such short notice.

15 minutes ago, Kenswing said:

What's sad is they're only giving you one year to sail again with your Future Cruise Credit.  For the people on the Diamond Princess they only have to book by February 2021

They must be hoping passengers won't be able to use their FCC.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trudiwilliams@gmail.com said:

We're in Adelaide, and have our bags ready to go. I guess we'll just unpack them now.... so disappointed 😢

Same here I had just started packing, we are still debating whether to do the 4 days to Perth,  wondered how we got with flights ez air reimbursement.  Don't give us much time re: Future cruise 50% as we had already booked a cruise in November with Cunard?

I’m pretty certain Princess knew that this was going to be how this cruise was handled before passengers even got on board in Sydney on February 12. If that’s true, those passengers who flew long distances for this shortened cruise have reason to be unhappy. 

I also feel badly for those guests we met on board who planned to stay to Singapore (pretty much everyone we talked with at the MTG cocktail party last week). Some were even scheduled to return after the dry dock (March 2-12). We were originally booked to stay on, too, but cancelled before final payment when the extra travel time home from Singapore, and the fact that we were just there last year deterred us. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’m pretty certain Princess knew that this was going to be how this cruise was handled before passengers even got on board in Sydney on February 12. If that’s true, those passengers who flew long distances for this shortened cruise have reason to be unhappy. 

I also feel badly for those guests we met on board who planned to stay to Singapore (pretty much everyone we talked with at the MTG cocktail party last week). Some were even scheduled to return after the dry dock (March 2-12). We were originally booked to stay on, too, but cancelled before final payment when the extra travel time home from Singapore, and the fact that we were just there last year deterred us. 

Yes, I feel sorry for passengers, particularly those who have flown long distance to join the cruise.  I'd be interested to know how long HO has known that they were going to make port changes, before the Captain was in a position to make an announcement to passengers on board and future passengers were advised. 

2 hours ago, eamondzhang said:

From the memo they sent to us (ground handler) yes that includes airfares booked. This includes both EZair and independent air.

Michael

In speaking to Princess US from 2:00 - 4:00am this morning calling from Melbourne, yes 2 hours, I was able to confirm that air fare booked through EZair is refunded.  We cancelled, the cancellation notice only shows the cruise fare, I trust there is more to come.  Princess staff had to be brought up to speed about the Majestic Princess, they were unaware of redeployment/cancellation.  We fly Feb. 17 MEL - YOW at 11:30.  At most for anyone currently on the ship, it will be a 10 day cruise from Feb 12 or in our case and others boarding in Melbourne a 6 day cruise.

What entered my mind to cancel was that 100% of $6368 (Canadian) air + cruise is refundable if cancelling vs. 60% of $3940 = $2364 appx. (depending how port taxes are treated) if going for 6 days. This means that the 6 days would cost $4,004, just too much per day.  The agent was pushing us to go for the 6 days, wonder why?

Once home we will book a Caribbean cruise.  Must start packing and then off to a hotel at Melbourne airport.

On a high note, we spent Saturday with a family from Melbourne whom we met as table mates from a Sydney cruise 3 years earlier.  We went to the Healesville Sanctuary, had a Koala encounter the wife thoroughly enjoyed as well as feeding some Wallabies.  We finished the day off with dinner.  We appreciated their hospitality and all we met in Melbourne were truly hospitable.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

What a shock for passengers, at such short notice.

Princess memo starts: 'Due to lack of predictability of port availability'?   Not a good choice of words I think, more like Singapore does not want the ship or Carnival does not want to take it there with 3 or 4 thousand pax.   Not sure if Majestic will sail from Fremantle to Singapore for scheduled dry dock - crew only on board now.

1 hour ago, ken_ll said:

In speaking to Princess US from 2:00 - 4:00am this morning calling from Melbourne, yes 2 hours, I was able to confirm that air fare booked through EZair is refunded.  We cancelled, the cancellation notice only shows the cruise fare, I trust there is more to come.  Princess staff had to be brought up to speed about the Majestic Princess, they were unaware of redeployment/cancellation.  We fly Feb. 17 MEL - YOW at 11:30.  At most for anyone currently on the ship, it will be a 10 day cruise from Feb 12 or in our case and others boarding in Melbourne a 6 day cruise.

What entered my mind to cancel was that 100% of $6368 (Canadian) air + cruise is refundable if cancelling vs. 60% of $3940 = $2364 appx. (depending how port taxes are treated) if going for 6 days. This means that the 6 days would cost $4,004, just too much per day.  The agent was pushing us to go for the 6 days, wonder why?

Once home we will book a Caribbean cruise.  Must start packing and then off to a hotel at Melbourne airport.

On a high note, we spent Saturday with a family from Melbourne whom we met as table mates from a Sydney cruise 3 years earlier.  We went to the Healesville Sanctuary, had a Koala encounter the wife thoroughly enjoyed as well as feeding some Wallabies.  We finished the day off with dinner.  We appreciated their hospitality and all we met in Melbourne were truly hospitable.  Thanks.

I know the 60% refund is not 100% fair depending on circumstance - as a matter of fact we received quite a few cancellations over the last couple hours already!

The memo we received for air:

Guests with Princess Air

Guests with Princess Air flights will have their flights rebooked to depart from Perth Airport rather than Singapore. You will receive your new flight arrangements on board.

Guests with Independent Air or alternative homeward travel plans

We are unable to change your flight arrangements. You will need to contact your travel advisor or the airlines directly to revise your travel plans. Your flight should depart Perth Airport (PER) no earlier than 11:30 AM (domestic) or 12:30 PM (international) on Saturday, 22 February.

We know this change may cause you to incur unexpected expenses. Air change fees, increased flight costs (within the same class of service), and transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Other expenses will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Also now apparently Majestic will be docked in Fremantle for a few days - currently notified that depending on airline availability if guests can't be booked on the same day flight they'll remain onboard until the day they're flying out.

And lastly, hope you enjoyed Melbourne and the weather is not treating you badly (which have to say as a Melburian it's an absolute cr@p - feels like winter in the middle of summer!)

Edited by eamondzhang
formatting

Sad for those looking forward to a long cruise on Majestic but I think it's a sensible decision by Princess. The situation has been changing so rapidly in Asia that I imagine there is no guarantees that Singapore will stay open to cruise ships with passengers onboard by March 2nd when the original cruise was due to end.

And would passengers still want to be on the ship then? Singapore is now up to 72 confirmed cases according the the John Hopkins University site.

Also by stopping the cruise in Fremantle Princess will be able to disembark most of the crew once all passengers have left, leaving a minimal crew to take the ship up to Singapore for her scheduled dry dock.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 hours ago, Kenswing said:

What's sad is they're only giving you one year to sail again with your Future Cruise Credit.  For the people on the Diamond Princess they only have to book by February 2021

It may not be a problem for Australian-based passengers. There might be lots of cheap cruises in our region over the next few months.🤔😀

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Woodies said:

It was probably a sensible move by Princess to cancel but very short notice. I wonder when the passengers on board the Majestic Princess sailing from  Sydney - Hobart -Melbourne were advised of the change in itinerary ?

Yesterday or today. Yes, short notice but the situation in Asia is changing so rapidly I think the cruise lines are having a hard time keeping up. Plus they would have to source new port bookings before they could announce the new itinerary.

1 hour ago, The Woodies said:

It was probably a sensible move by Princess to cancel but very short notice. I wonder when the passengers on board the Majestic Princess sailing from  Sydney - Hobart -Melbourne were advised of the change in itinerary ?

They got letters today in their staterooms.

image.png.4ed24445ec38320d091507c948303b4b.pngimage.png.a06fdbd1636d7546c25a11e30009f358.png

5 hours ago, eamondzhang said:

The memo we received for air:

Guests with Independent Air or alternative homeward travel plans

We are unable to change your flight arrangements. You will need to contact your travel advisor or the airlines directly to revise your travel plans. Your flight should depart Perth Airport (PER) no earlier than 11:30 AM (domestic) or 12:30 PM (international) on Saturday, 22 February.

One complication for those who booked air independently is that the airline they have booked for Singapore to home may not be an airline that also flies from Australia to home. So it could be a 100% loss on the original airfare followed with the need to purchase a high priced last minute ticket to leave Australia.

Princess says they would cover reasonable costs in switching air reservations, but will they consider this reasonable?

Even if there would be some value left with the original ticket after charge fees, you might not have any need to fly that airline in the time left to use that balance.

(Any value must be used within one year from when the ticket was booked, not from when it was cancelled. For those who book flights far in advance, only a month or two may be left to use that value.)

3 hours ago, caribill said:

One complication for those who booked air independently is that the airline they have booked for Singapore to home may not be an airline that also flies from Australia to home. So it could be a 100% loss on the original airfare followed with the need to purchase a high priced last minute ticket to leave Australia.

Princess says they would cover reasonable costs in switching air reservations, but will they consider this reasonable?

Even if there would be some value left with the original ticket after charge fees, you might not have any need to fly that airline in the time left to use that balance.

(Any value must be used within one year from when the ticket was booked, not from when it was cancelled. For those who book flights far in advance, only a month or two may be left to use that value.)

For those passengers, who use a TA, was your TA able to assist you by cancelling your Singapore return flight and booking you a return flight from Perth?

15 hours ago, Kenswing said:

15 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

They must be hoping passengers won't be able to use their FCC.  

On the positive side, Future Cruise Credits are refundable if not used.  Other passengers need only to book by Feb 2021 and could sail later than that. Neither of these is a situation anyone wants to deal with; however, it's better than being exposed to a deadly virus.

We happened to disembark the Majestic on Feb 12, having decided to consider Asia for another time. For passengers with international flights who just arrived in Australia, I hope that some can stay for a holiday without needing to fly directly home.

2 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

On the positive side, Future Cruise Credits are refundable if not used.  Other passengers need only to book by Feb 2021 and could sail later than that. Neither of these is a situation anyone wants to deal with; however, it's better than being exposed to a deadly virus.

Future Cruise CREDITS are not refundable. Princess gave these as compensation for changing your cruise. Amount varies with the circumstances of the awarding of the credit.

Future Cruise DEPOSITS are refundable. You buy these while on a cruise $100 each.

The confusion arises because Princess and CC posters use the terms interchangeably.

It's important in this situation to understand the difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

We happened to disembark the Majestic on Feb 12, having decided to consider Asia for another time. For passengers with international flights who just arrived in Australia, I hope that some can stay for a holiday without needing to fly directly home.

Wishful thinking..  

As your cruise has been cancelled so close to departure, each guest will also receive a 25% Future Cruise Credit equal to the cruise fare paid on this voyage. The credit may be applied to any future Princess cruise that sails by February 28, 2021 or any existing booking not yet paid in full and is non-refundable and non-transferable.