What do you think would happen?

twentyknots

We’re booked on an 11 night Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale calling on Cartagena and the ABC islands in April.  Wonder what would happen if one passenger became ill and was tested and was positive for Coronavirus say on day 6 of the cruise.  Would the ship quarantine the passenger on board, have him/her airlifted off to nearest hospital and continue the cruise, or head back to FLL and remove everyone and quarantine them for 14 days?  Seems like the Princess quarantine on the ship didn’t work well.  If one person gets it on the ship it’s very likely others will too.

Really don't believe I nor anyone here could answer your question.   It appears that the quarantine of passengers of a ship aboard the ship have been deemed ineffective if not outright the incorrect decision by governments to control the spread. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

it is actually a silly question that no one could answer right now.  Lots of people could take guesses, but no one would know with any certainty right now about what would happen in that case in the future.  

So is this a board where no one can raise a hypothetical question?  Of course there's no definitive answer; it's a curiosity question given the recent events with the Princess and Westerdam.  I'm OK with guesses.  Lighten up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

So is this a board where no one can raise a hypothetical question?  Of course there's no definitive answer; it's a curiosity question given the recent events with the Princess and Westerdam.  I'm OK with guesses.  Lighten up.

sure you can raise a hypothetical question, I never said one couldn't.  Am I not allowed to voice my opinion? You lighten up !!

Edited by Phxazzcruisers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twentyknots said:

We’re booked on an 11 night Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale calling on Cartagena and the ABC islands in April.  Wonder what would happen if one passenger became ill and was tested and was positive for Coronavirus say on day 6 of the cruise.  Would the ship quarantine the passenger on board, have him/her airlifted off to nearest hospital and continue the cruise, or head back to FLL and remove everyone and quarantine them for 14 days?  Seems like the Princess quarantine on the ship didn’t work well.  If one person gets it on the ship it’s very likely others will too.

As you say if one passenger is diagnosed it will spread to others. Another problem is that as the ship is in international waters no country is obliged to let the ship dock, as occurred with the HAL ship. I am not booking any cruises anywhere at the moment. If I did have a cruise booked not sure I would sail.

Since there is nobody diagnosed with the coronavirus in the Caribbean, nobody could really answer that question as it is unknown what the health authorities would do.  I don't think anybody wants to see a repeat of what happened with the Diamond Princess over in Japan.  However, a more valid question would be to ask what they would do if there was a norovirus outbreak onboard.  If just a few passengers were infected, then, yes, they would quarantine you to your room for a specified period of time ... anywhere from 2-7 days or until your symptoms were resolved.  If there are other passengers in the room, they may try to find the uninfected passenger alternative sleeping arrangements .. but they may not have room available.  If it is a larger outbreak, they may end the cruise early and I've even heard that certain ports of call are unwilling to accept the risk of passengers getting off the ship for the day, so you may miss some of the ports on your itinerary.  

Hi OP ,

In my opinion - Not a silly question -  our family is mulling over so many various scenarios with our upcoming April European cruise. I keep waiting and researching and don't know what we may do as of today. At first I thought we are ok but as you say it just takes one infected person.  Good luck , take care- Seagull 

I would like to know from anyone who has been or is currently on a cruise as to what have you seen on board that the crew is doing ? Has anything changed with the way things are being done on board, the restaurants, buffet lines, the wearing of gloves, anything?

I am currently booked on the 11 day cruise out of FLL end of mar.

Edited by abjnb707

3 hours ago, abjnb707 said:

I would like to know from anyone who has been or is currently on a cruise as to what have you seen on board that the crew is doing ? Has anything changed with the way things are being done on board, the restaurants, buffet lines, the wearing of gloves, anything?

I am currently booked on the 11 day cruise out of FLL end of mar.

Cruise ships generally, and Celebrity in particular, usually do very well when inspected by the US Public Health Service.  The primary focus of these practices is to ensure safe food handling practices are being followed.  There are additional measures that are put into place if there are incidences of food-borne disease (e.g. norovirus). 

Since the Corona virus is not a food borne disease, nor does its primary route of transmission appear to be surface contacts, wearing gloves would do little to prevent transmission. 

Harris

Denver, CO

I’m going to predict that in a months time it will all become a moot point. That is, it will either be worldwide and so isolation of “anything” is irrelevant, or it will simply be settling down. Basically the world can’t really continue with the current method of border control for too much longer.