New requirement if you or somebody you are traveling with is 70 or over

GINNY L

I also just called NCL, and the representative on the phone told me that the reason why we didn't receive the notice is because our specific sailing (NCL Star 3/14) was NOT part of the email blast, which I am taking to mean this policy will not apply to it.

48 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

...........  I understand this was something the White House suggested last weekend at the cruise line meeting...to just ban anyone over 70 and the cruise lines pushed back.  BY THE WAY, this has NOTHING to do with supporting our government or cooperating, or anything like that and I really resent those implied criticism of lack of loyalty or patriotism.   This country is divided enough as it is, and last I checked it is still a free and equal country which has a lot of legislation concerning discrimination.

It wasn’t a WH proposal to ban travelers over 70..it came from Adam Goldstein, the CEO of Cruise Line International Association  (& former VP of RCCL) who represents the cruise line industry

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruise-industry-proposes-travel-ban-for-people-over-70.html

Edited by Boatsie

Slow down with the age discrimination nonsense. This is not age discrimination. It is a decision based on statistics and recommendations from the CDC and WHO about who is most at risk with this virus.  They are trying to protect themselves. But More importantly, they are trying to protect ourselves from our selves.  We apparently think we are bullet proof, or magically immune and nothing bad is going to happen, despite what the professionals are saying. 

Also, check your spam. It is a donenotreply email, so it may get filtered. I am 40 and we got it for our 28th sailing. 

• Like 7

- Cruiselines allow people at risk to cruise = "irresponsible"

- Cruiselines don't allow people at risk to cruise = "discrimination"

- Cruiselines don't refund money already promised & paid by customers to pay contracted employees who have families to feed (because people have to feed their families even if they are unable to work due to virus) = "selfish"

- Cruiselines looking out for their employees + their business = "selfish"

- Cruiselines NOT looking out for their employees + their business = "selfish"

Bottom line: Cruiselines cannot win no matter what decisions they make. Cruiselines will always be seen as the "bad guy," because people want to have something/someone to blame for unfortunate events. Assume the best and try to see things from a positive perspective. 🙂

• Like 7

8 hours ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

Why are the sports organizations, television shows, all cancelling audience participation?  Those venues are a mixed age group.  There is obviously concern, so why isn't NCL following suit and cancelling?  An outbreak is an outbreak regardless of the age.  There are many people who have contacted the virus who are under 60 and have suffered serious consequences.  So,  NCl's cutoff age isn't working for me.  It is all about the almighty dollar.  Sad.....

Agreed. And younger people can still get it, show no symptoms and then spread it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, erdoran said:

Guys, guys, please look at the mortality tables.  This topic and the one about the European travel ban are both complaining about two measures meant to

1.  Protect older people from a known very high health risk

2.  Protect the American public from additional sources of Covid-19 (although I suspect our own community transmission is already out of control—but let’s not add fuel to the fire)

Regardless of your political opinions, please support our government in dealing with this pandemic.  Many of you seem to be disconnected from what is ahead of us.  The more people who support these control measures and cooperate, rather than try to get around the system, the faster we will get through this..  

WELL SAID!  

For everything around the world, there will be people who will complain that you didn't do enough, or your going way beyond what is necessary.  No matter what the situation is, you can't please everybody.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

All of you, stop complaining and read the above article.  READ IT!  FCC should be honored; if not you can probably get a refund from your credit card company.  What is your life worth?  One cruise?  How about your family’s lives?  You may be a healthy 70 year old, but if you are wrong and you get really sick, how will it feel when the doctors do nothing for you because there are 10 younger people and only 1 bed and ventilator available?  Or even worse, if it is your spouse, child, parent?  

PLEASE—it’s exactly this sort of attitude that has gotten us where we are now.  STOP TRAVELING!  Wash your hands, practice social distancing.  Take this seriously before we start seeing people disappear from this board, or talk about how someone they love has died, or been turned away from the ER.

You may think I’m a bit nutty or over the top now.  I pray you still think that in a month.

49 minutes ago, belchro22 said:

So now elderly folks have to go into a doctor's office where there are probably sick folks to prove they are healthy. At least they were when they walked into that waiting room.😆

Elderly folks need to stay home, no matter how healthy they think they are.  Period.

12 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Well who would you get a health certification from? The local butcher?

Pretty soon they will be available for purchase or even for free on the internet.  Just like a doctor's note for an absence for school or work.  Google it...they are out there.  Anyone could print that form and get it signed.  Will NCL verify every signed doctor's note?  I doubt it.

Princess says its 18 cruise ships will remain in port until May 11 over virus fears

The firm has suffered two significant outbreaks including on Diamond Princess 

Viking Cruises has confirmed a suspension of voyages from today until April 30.

NCL should do the same.

Listen to the message, folks.  Stay home for now and live to cruise another day.

16 hours ago, GINNY L said:

Just received this email from Norwegian

Dear Valued Guest,

To help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew worldwide, effective immediately, all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest's travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage.

If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter.

Thank you, as always, for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

We were on the Bliss on April 19, my travel companion is 76 years old, We preferred to cancel then dealing with all of this.

2 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

We were on the Bliss on April 19, my travel companion is 76 years old, We preferred to cancel then dealing with all of this.

I don't blame you.  Be safe instead of sorry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boatsie said:

3 hours ago, belchro22 said:

So now elderly folks have to go into a doctor's office where there are probably sick folks to prove they are healthy. At least they were when they walked into that waiting room.😆

Thank you!  All I said to get me flamed was that over 70's should not be singled out as there are many of ALL ages who are vulnerable and the rules should apply to all.  So little research has been done on this that no one can say anything for sure.  Without widespread testing immediately, we don't know much at all as tests are even now hard to come by and results slow to show up.  Yes I support our government, but don't think ANY government is without fault and should be without constructive criticism.  Right now I believe our government has failed us, and I have a right to my opinion.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cscurlock said:

This is just more legal protection for the cruise line.  Get a note.  Something happens to you on the ship.  Drag the poor doctor into the court room and complain that he signed the document knowing you were high risk, hes the villan.  Much easier to defend than say passenger dies on ship due to virus and the cruise line has no buffer. 

Can you blame NCL.  There is a couple who is suing Princess for a million dollars, because they didn't feel Princess did enough.   The couple allege the cruise line failed to put in place preventive measures, including more rigorous screening for those boarding the ship and an opportunity for people to disembark in Hawaii.  BTW, the couple didn't get the virus.

Now, can you see if someone in their seventies gets it and dies and their family sues NCL saying they should have known that people over seventy have a higher risk of death and shouldn't allow them to cruise.

Use of this form by NCL for people in a higher risk age group indicates they do not have confidence in maintaining a disease free environment. I guess they are OK with healthy people contracting the virus. At least they are trying to help the weaker among us. This will do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of the virus. Only the screening at the port may help but apparently they do not have confidence in that. Perhaps the other cruse lines are a bit smarter than NCL in canceling their cruises and actually preventing any spread at all? I believe NCL may be putting themselves in more legal risk if they do not follow suit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, belchro22 said:

No doctor's office in the country is just allowing people with symptoms like COVID-19 into the waiting room. They are all asking people to leave or to call their doctor. Even ERs and Urgent Cares are baring people will symptoms and directing them to specific testing facilities.