Sharing Favorite Cruise Memories

TiogaCruiser

We’re all understandably focused on and concerned about what’s going on in our world in relation to covid-19. With the cruise pause, undoubtedly many of us will be missing our “cruise fix”- sail away threads, planning our adventures and sharing in the adventures of others. And it is likely many CC members may be home on isolation or quarantine (with way too much time on their hands) .... so let’s make it productive and enjoyable.

Let’s make this a thread for sharing favorite blog links, memorable threads and special cruise stories. And a covid-19-free zone. 

One of my all time favorite blogs was written by Arzz. I just love her style.  This one of several blogs that lead me to book Antarctica- and have me lots to consider. The story gets wild at post 40.

• Like 3

Great idea. One of my favorite cruise memories is my 1st time to Alaska in 1997 on the old Nieuw Amsterdam. I was invited to view Glacier Bay from the bridge. It was myself and another couple. I was the top Mariner onboard and they had done the World Cruise . It was a wonderful time.

• Like 1

I have so many cruise memories -- it will take a while to sift through them and come up with the most memorable.

In the meantime, since some posters might have extra time on their hands, I heartily recommend reading a priceless review of a Noordam cruise by a very funny poster who used to cruise on a number of lines and then post hilarious reviews here on CC:

If you've read it before, you'll laugh all over again. If you haven't, let me introduce you to Sailor Jack and Sailor Jill:   

• Like 3

Okay, here's one of my favorite cruise memories.  Caribbean, at night, with a full moon.  We were on the Promenade Deck, and heard "noises" in the water.  It was a POD OF DOLPHINS pacing the ship, which was moving VERY slowly, and they were so near us, we could see them in the moonlight.  And hear them breathing ❤️

• Like 5

15 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I got a real kick out of this one and funny is good right now.   Glad I could find it again.  @POA1 has a real way with words. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2650823-april-fools-wayback-machine-2006/?tab=comments#comment-57167062

Thanks for the shout out. We've been watching the empty ships sail out of Port Everglades. It's nice to see see the crew up top, on deck - but sad nonetheless.

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I have so many cruise memories -- it will take a while to sift through them and come up with the most memorable.

In the meantime, since some posters might have extra time on their hands, I heartily recommend reading a priceless review of a Noordam cruise by a very funny poster who used to cruise on a number of lines and then post hilarious reviews here on CC:

If you've read it before, you'll laugh all over again. If you haven't, let me introduce you to Sailor Jack and Sailor Jill:   

I have been away from the boards for a while and just came across this thread. Glad you enjoyed the review.  I have sailed on HAL twice and enjoyed both. Assuming we are able to sail again, our next cruises are on Seabourn in May of next year.

Safe Sailing

Jackl

On 3/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

One of my all time favorite blogs was written by Arzz. I just love her style.  This one of several blogs that lead me to book Antarctica- and have me lots to consider. The story gets wild at post 40.

Oh, my gosh.   I read this one right before I was supposed to leave for my Antarctica cruise.   Fortunately, our cruise was a bit tamer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Oh, my gosh.   I read this one right before I was supposed to leave for my Antarctica cruise.   Fortunately, our cruise was a bit tamer.

I took it into great consideration and it was part of what made me decide on a drive by with HAL and not an expedition “ship” for the crossing. I love her humor and writing.

• Like 1

I have loved Arzz's writing through the years.  She told us how her dear husband had to photograph everything to prove that they had been there, even a significant mud puddle.  In Venice she taught us to be careful to make sure that the vaporetto was going in the right direction - not in the disastrous opposite direction.

Barbara

• Like 2

Didn’t he post from his cruises (really interesting threads) and wasn’t he a journalist in “real life”. I seem to remember RuthC knew him. (Or is my memory making that up?)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Didn’t he post from his cruises and wasn’t he a journalist in “real life”. I seem to remember RuthC knew him. (Or is my memory making that up?)

I think he was something like a teacher in real life and his posts were very funny.  He always put in the tagline "This post comes live from the Maasdam" or whatever ship he was on.  A number of years he recognized the signs of dimentia and decided to stop cruising.

Roy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Anybody else remember TomC?

Roy

I corresponded with TomC a couple of times; he was leaving the public eye because of ill health.  I always enjoyed his posts; he was (still is) a priest.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Anybody else remember TomC?

Roy

I remember him well, and we are still in contact. 

It was not dementia; his mind still works very well. It's the rest of his body that has failed somewhat (which one of us can't say that). He's still among the living, and gets great care where he lives. 
He did have a weekly newspaper column, as well as taught at Kings College. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Favorite cruise day was the partial transit of the Panama Canal in a deck 5 aft-wrap cabin on the Zuiderdam.  Fantastic for viewing the canal and its operations from several angles on the way in AND then having a few friends over to help celebrate the transit out.  A day we will never forget (we even purchased the ship's video as we saw ourselves on it several times)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I remember him well, and we are still in contact. 

It was not dementia; his mind still works very well. It's the rest of his body that has failed somewhat (which one of us can't say that). He's still among the living, and gets great care where he lives. 
He did have a weekly newspaper column, as well as taught at Kings College. 

Anybody call for tomc?  Here I am.  Currently living at an adult care center at the University of Notre Dame  where I am very active, a terror on wheels and a bringer of joy to all.  As a character in fiction always said, "There's a dance in the old dame yet."  This post came to you live from Notre Dame, Indiana.

Edited by tomc
left out a word
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, tomc said:

Anybody call for tomc?  Here I am.  Currently living at an adult care center at the University of Notre Dame  where I am very active, a terror on wheels and a bringer of joy to all.  As a character in fiction always said, "There's a dance in the old dame yet."  This post came to you live from Notre Dame, Indiana.

So great to hear from you, Tom.  You were one of my models when I started doing live reports.

Roy

On 8/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, tomc said:

It's wonderful to see you here again!  Welcome back; I always enjoyed your posts and hope you'll return with more.  Keep on rolling!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

My favorite moment happens every cruise when I walk across the gangplank and the crew member says WELCOME BACK.  

My favorite memory on a cruise was my first cruise aboard the Noordam 3, my husband and I walking down the right stairway, my Mother and Dad walking down the left stairway, having our photos taken as well met at the bottom to enter the dining room (there was only one on that ship) for formal night. For dessert there was a Baked Alaska parade complete with sparklers around the entire dining room followed by the fire crew.