Not allowing FCC to be used for prepaid gratuities

Mightyjoey1

I was speaking with my TA and with how to deal with my upcoming FCC; according to him, NCL is going to take our prepaid gratuities and shore excursions and apply them for a FCC.  HOWEVER, when you go to book your next cruise, they are NOT going to allow the FCC to apply to anything but the future cruise fare, and that everyone would have to come out of pocket for that cruise's gratuities and excursions.  Now, before I allow my blood pressure to rise, (1) has anyone else heard this to be true, (2) can it be confirmed with NCL and (3) if by some remote chance it is, how/why should they be able to get away with that?  If by any chance it is, I'm just wondering if there would ever be a legitimate reason to ever prepay gratuities or shore excursions in the future....there are many smart minds out here in this forum, so possibly my TA is (hopefully) mistaken.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Your FCC would have to be more than your fare.  Why would you want to pay the fare and hold on to the FCC?

I agree....but according to my TA, he was saying because I prepaid my gratuities (not to mention the charge for drink and dining packages) if I book a new cruise, I can apply my FCC to the fare only....select new perks, you will have to pay OOP for the 20% drinks gratuities for that new cruise....same with the dining package.  That is the part that I am a bit steamed about

It wouldn't surprise me. They are cash hungry. So, on the front end,  loading up FCC results in no cash outlays for NCL. On the back end, maximize cash outlays for passengers to aid NCL cash flow. Unused FCC is forfeited....which equates to NCL not issuing refunds in the first place. NCL winds on all fronts. Unless you are certain to use your FCC, beware. Understand what you are getting and the restrictions that may come with it. It is one of the reasons I didn't run out and cancel my cruise last week. FCC and the restrictions that come with it  are not particularly attractive to me.

Just now, Mightyjoey1 said:

I agree....but according to my TA, he was saying because I prepaid my gratuities (not to mention the charge for drink and dining packages) if I book a new cruise, I can apply my FCC to the fare only....select new perks, you will have to pay OOP for the 20% drinks gratuities for that new cruise....same with the dining package.  That is the part that I am a bit steamed about

I get it....I re-read the post.  Things will be ironed out but the cruiselines are all in the dark right now.  You just need patience.  The TA is telling you what he thinks....he doesn't know anything as a fact at this point.

• Like 2

To illustrate...let's say you booked a 7 day cruise with a fare of $1000....you select the drink package, which goes ahead and charges you 1 $140 pp and you decided to prepay your daily gratuities $15/day, for an additional $105.00.  The total amount you have paid is $1,245.00.  HOWEVER, according to my TA, that $1,245.00 has to be applied to the fare of a new cruise and can't be applied for either the drink gratuities or the future daily gratuities.  Thus, if your next cruise is that same theoretical price ($1000), you now have to come OOP for that additional $245.00, and they will want you to book a second cruise to absorb that leftover FCC, or upgrade your booking on the new cruise.  Hope I am being clear...numbers can get complicated.

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I get it....I re-read the post.  Things will be ironed out but the cruiselines are all in the dark right now.  You just need patience.  The TA is telling you what he thinks....he doesn't know anything as a fact at this point.

Of course that is true...except for the fact that NCL just gave him some snazzy award saying how good he is.  Now we all know the value of awards, but that said, I am inclined to believe him, unless someone else has been told something else that negates that and that I can point to once the FCC finally posts.

That's pretty bold-faced unfair by anyone's standards.  My feeling (which doesn't count for much, lol) is that they are still feeling their way through these policies and these are not final answers yet.  However, I'd be willing to bet that, if this turns out to be the case, gratuity charges will take another giant leap forward . . . for our convenience, of course!  (Pssst . . . get even -- it may be time to resort to rumrunners dot com, lol.)

Edited by Travelling2Some
addition
  • Like 1

I work in the title insurance industry, and I have been licensed for over 16 years.  During the financial crisis I knew several of my colleagues that "repurposed" money for things other than where it was intended, and they did not have favorable legal results in the end.  Prepaid gratuities is money that is intended to go to people who provide services for you, and is not intended for NCL....and if they end up pocketing that money just because you didn't use it the way they wanted you to....just saying I am questioning whether there is a line being crossed.  Again, just saying.....

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 3:22 PM, Mightyjoey1 said:

I was speaking with my TA and with how to deal with my upcoming FCC; according to him, NCL is going to take our prepaid gratuities and shore excursions and apply them for a FCC.  HOWEVER, when you go to book your next cruise, they are NOT going to allow the FCC to apply to anything but the future cruise fare, and that everyone would have to come out of pocket for that cruise's gratuities and excursions.  Now, before I allow my blood pressure to rise, (1) has anyone else heard this to be true, (2) can it be confirmed with NCL and (3) if by some remote chance it is, how/why should they be able to get away with that?  If by any chance it is, I'm just wondering if there would ever be a legitimate reason to ever prepay gratuities or shore excursions in the future....there are many smart minds out here in this forum, so possibly my TA is (hopefully) mistaken.

First they screwed over the people who cancelled with the "peace of mind" March 10 FCC refund now this. The more I read about NCL the more it makes me sick. This company is as slimy as they come.

Edited by knight2096

2 hours ago, knight2096 said:

First they screwed over the people who cancelled with the "peace of mind" March 10 FCC refund now this. The more I read about NCL the more it makes me sick. This company is as slimy as they come.

You just finding that out now ??

I think that 'panic' mode is at work here; so here is my take.

The cruise lines are being 'socked' big time, financially by having to cancel all cruises for a certain time period.

They borrow money like all large corporations and have payments to make.

The FCC is one way to help avoid or delay the need for bankruptcy.

As time goes on some of these problems like your FCC will be fine tuned and I, for one, will let things shake out for a while.

Unless you have good travel insurance that covers bankruptcy, you should be glad that they are doing what they are; because, if they do declare bankruptcy you lose ALL of you money with no recourse. So, just be a little patient.

2 hours ago, knight2096 said:

Just about every mass market cruise line is offering the same kind of incentives concerning cancellations due to the current pandemic.

If these kind of terms under these conditions make you sick and you feel it is demonstrative of slimy business tactics, cancel for 100% refund (if you have a booking) and avoid cruising altogether.  

On 3/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, Mightyjoey1 said:

I work in the title insurance industry, and I have been licensed for over 16 years.  During the financial crisis I knew several of my colleagues that "repurposed" money for things other than where it was intended, and they did not have favorable legal results in the end.  Prepaid gratuities is money that is intended to go to people who provide services for you, and is not intended for NCL....and if they end up pocketing that money just because you didn't use it the way they wanted you to....just saying I am questioning whether there is a line being crossed.  Again, just saying.....

If you are lucky enough maybe NCL will consider your situation first.  Wow like the virus hasn't affected everyone else.✌️

I spoke to my NCL personal cruise consultant yesterday, she’s been with them for 15 years and has never given me incorrect info. We did not speak about the tips question, but here’s her overall comment.
We cannot touch the reservations that we(NCL) cancelled. They are having to configure software to to handle FCCs with bonus as well as other issues, like refunds without penalties. She said everything is pretty chaotic as they look for ways to process all these problems.

I think your TA is guessing at what may happen and as such is passing on incorrect information, which IMHO is very unprofessional.

Be patient and wait for your letter from NCL.

76 past cruises
Upcoming:
NCL Getaway 3/29/2020
NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021
CCL Dream 5/16/2021

On 3/15/2020 at 4:22 PM, Mightyjoey1 said:

I don't think anyone can 100% know what will happen with FCC's until the time comes to actually apply them as I don't think anyone has received them yet. It might also be different for the Peace of Mind FCC vs NCL Canceled FCC, however if they are fully returning all costs to the FCC then they should be usable for the same later.

I called about my FCC (from Peace of Mind) and was told that it would be fully usable to cover my future cruise booking costs, meaning the stuff that I paid for when booking to include the prepaid service charge, drink and dining service charge type stuff.  If this proves not to be the case then I will feel this is bait and switch in how this was presented and I truly believe I will walk away and take the loss as my cruise was a voucher and ALL my costs were the extras you are being told will not be covered!

I am sitting calmly assuming that what I understand above will happen and I can only wait and see the reality when I finally get it and try to use it.  I really do believe there are many levels of interpretation in this and agents are still learning, and I expect the allowable use for cruise fare is intended to include all the basic costs you can do at booking. 

I am either optimistic, naive or delusional LOL

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Double Jack said:

Take the money and run.  NCL may not be in business by the end of the year.

Then you'll get nothing.

I would do this too, regardless of the risky future of the cruiseline, simply so I didn't have my money locked down.  I canceled my cruise with Peace of Mind, literally days before it was due to sail (Sunday 15th) on one that ultimately became part of the NCL Cancel days later. I could not hold out on it being cancelled so I am stuck with FCC and I expect it will take a lot more $$ to not lose my $$ ... makes perfect sense ugh.

There was a previous thread here to cancel all your prepaid amenities before you  or NCL cancels so it will be refunded to your credit card.  I would also cancel any bids for upgraded rooms if you think your cruise will be cancelled.

4 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

There was a previous thread here to cancel all your prepaid amenities before you  or NCL cancels so it will be refunded to your credit card.  I would also cancel any bids for upgraded rooms if you think your cruise will be cancelled.

Ironically, I did this on March 9th prior to cancelling the cruise March 10th under Peace of Mind.  To this date I have seen no refund to my credit card , I even got a new booking receipt with the items removed!  Now I have no idea what to expect on the FCC, the refund should have made it to my credit card by now.  Not sure how others have fared in this, if they actually seen the refund on the CC.

Soooo.... advise to others that do this.  If time is your friend and you expect to cancel or be cancelled, call to remove stuff leaving time to see the refund on your cards ahead of a later possible cancel.

My only experience with FCC were under the old system - I had about 1k in FCC - they applied a portion of that to my cruise fare taking it back to the lowest price for the general category (inside, balcony, suite etc) - the rest was put in a Savings column. Which contributed to the overall bottom line and indirectly covered Grats and PP DSC. I suspect that they will handle this FCC in a similar fashion. BTW I have my confirmation statements from both the pre FCC booking and after they applied it so I could compare.

2 minutes ago, krittykat said:

My hubby and I  along with my daughter booked 2 cabins for an April cruise.  If we took FCC for both - could we combine and put towards a larger Have suite on a future cruise?

Each person will have and FCC in their name for what they booked for the cancelled cruise.  I am sure that you could work them together to get a Haven suite as I'm sure that each persons portion for the new room would likely be fully consumable in each persons cost.  It would all get worked out based on what person 1 costs, person 2, person 3, person 4 room costs work out to be.

3 hours ago, krittykat said:

My hubby and I  along with my daughter booked 2 cabins for an April cruise.  If we took FCC for both - could we combine and put towards a larger Have suite on a future cruise?

As previously stated FCC is issued to the individual so when applied to a suite, Guests 1 and 2 would have it apply to their fares with any surplus going to the Savings category - I suspect the same would be true for guests 3&4.