P&O suspends all cruises until April 11

Tilly20

“Due to the continued impact of COVID-19, and following the recommendation by CLIA US for cruise lines to temporarily suspend operations for 30 days, we are suspending new cruises until 11 April 2020. Here’s P&O Cruises President Paul Ludlow with an update:”

Our Oceana cruise out of Malta on 2nd April is understandably cancelled, flights were already cancelled at the end of last week. Offering 125% future cruise credit, or apply for a full refund by the end of November. They at least have a Web page to request the refund rather than having to call customer services. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mc_Cruiser said:

Our Oceana cruise out of Malta on 2nd April is understandably cancelled, flights were already cancelled at the end of last week. Offering 125% future cruise credit, or apply for a full refund by the end of November. They at least have a Web page to request the refund rather than having to call customer services. 

Maybe apply for a full refund now, if Carnival go bust your FCC will be worthless and say goodbye to any of your money they have.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mat5664 said:

Good advice.  

I know nothing about trading in shares, but am tempted to dabble in Carnival shares now the price is in my comfort zone.  Do you think things are that bad?  I thought they looked a good investment with the benefits that come with them.  This covid19 virus will go as quick as it come, leaving the cruise industry to get back to normal and share prices rising. I now think I will hang on to a later date.  As I said I know nothing about share trading.

1 minute ago, bodgerday said:

I know nothing about trading in shares, but am tempted to dabble in Carnival shares now the price is in my comfort zone.  Do you think things are that bad?  I thought they looked a good investment with the benefits that come with them.  This covid19 virus will go as quick as it come, leaving the cruise industry to get back to normal and share prices rising. I now think I will hang on to a later date.  As I said I know nothing about share trading.

wouldn't go anywhere near them.  Entirely possible some cruise companies go into Administration - and then get bought out - which would invalidate the shares - and any vouchers.  (For anyone thinking Carnival is too big to fail, try telling that to former employees of Lehman brothers or Arthur Anderson etc).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Maybe apply for a full refund now, if Carnival go bust your FCC will be worthless and say goodbye to any of your money they have.

Thanks, already requested the refund. An extra 25% of potentially nothing in the future is no good to anyone. 

1 hour ago, 2BACRUISER said:

LINK 

"This is something that is totally outwith our control". Absolutely agree, but what is in your control is how you respond to the situation and that response has been pitifully slow and lagging behind almost every other cruise line in offering flexible cancellations, and now in finally cancelling cruises.

• Like 1

Surely if you cancel your impending  current cruise and receive part cash part FCC and you then make another booking for late next year using your FCC then it therefore cannot be lost as you have turned it into an actual booking and then be covered by ABTA bonding.

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Surely if you cancel your impending  current cruise and receive part cash part FCC and you then make another booking for late next year using your FCC then it therefore cannot be lost as you have turned it into an actual booking and then be covered by ABTA bonding.

This is what I would like to know, as I cancelled my trip a day before they said you could cancel and get a refund. It was my intention to re-book. 

6 minutes ago, davemorton said:

This is what I would like to know, as I cancelled my trip a day before they said you could cancel and get a refund. It was my intention to re-book. 

Quoting myself, as I think I have the answer..'On a separate note, if you booked your holiday with a gift card, your holiday will be Atol protected, meaning you will qualify for a refund.'

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/thomas-cook-gift-vouchers-credit-20156001

(Yes, I know its the gutter press, but info should still be right).

1 hour ago, Mc_Cruiser said:

"This is something that is totally outwith our control". Absolutely agree, but what is in your control is how you respond to the situation and that response has been pitifully slow and lagging behind almost every other cruise line in offering flexible cancellations, and now in finally cancelling cruises.

Couldn't agree more - and why initially only until 11th April?  Surely they don't think this situation will be resolved by then!  I've had a Fred Olsen cruise cancelled as they have suspended operations until 23rd May.  Saga have paused all operations until 1st May.

Is it just me, or do these staged video messages from cruise execs come across as hollow and lacking sincerity?  Not trying to be cruel, but when you’ve got passengers and crew in a state of uncertainty I would think a more sincere message with plans would be more apt than a canned response saying not much at all.  Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Is it just me, or do these staged video messages from cruise execs come across as hollow and lacking sincerity?  Not trying to be cruel, but when you’ve got passengers and crew in a state of uncertainty I would think a more sincere message with plans would be more apt than a canned response saying not much at all.  Just my 2 cents. 

Good grief , what more would you like them to do! 
Some people just like to complain!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I asked that question.  If you turn an FCC into a booking and then you cancel, you will still have an FCC which carries forward.  Not a refund.

1 hour ago, janieb1962 said:

Good grief , what more would you like them to do! 
Some people just like to complain!

how is what I said a complaint?  If anything it’s a simple observation that the message they’re providing rings a little hollow and offers little to no reassurance.  Add to the fact they seem to be waiting until the 11th hour before making statements when people are literally waiting with baited breath in order to facilitate changes to their holidays and lives in general.  

• Like 1

It is a difficult time for them and the pressure on them must be enormous.  I thought Mr Ludlow read from the auto-cue very well but had to chuckle when he said the best way to show support for P&O was to book cruises... 😁

Our cruise agent is telling us that if we convert our FCC into a future booking, it's protected by ABTA.  If we just leave it as a credit, it's not.  I can't be 100% sure that's correct, but that's what she told us on the phone today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

Couldn't agree more - and why initially only until 11th April?  Surely they don't think this situation will be resolved by then!  I've had a Fred Olsen cruise cancelled as they have suspended operations until 23rd May.  Saga have paused all operations until 1st May.

My theory is it gives them a chance to spread the refunds rather than give a load of dosh back in one go. 

Andy 

• Like 1