Dressing for a Princess cruise

LinnieRed

5 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I have been on two ships now one to HI and one in the Caribbean where they were allowing jeans on formal night in the MDR.  Both were allowing shorts on non-formal nights as well.  Things to come?

We've also found this to be true on a few of the ships in the last few years. I would expect things to get more casual in the future once cruising begins again. I doubt they'll want to irritate any of their customers going forward about how they choose to dress. 

2 hours ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

I would expect things to get more casual in the future once cruising begins again. I doubt they'll want to irritate any of their customers going forward about how they choose to dress. 

Could be, but I expect Princess will very much continue with offering Formal Night opportunity.  They will probably rightly figure folks will be ready to fancy it up after being cooped up due to Coronavirus/COVID-19/Wuhan Flu.  We will most likely continue to spruce up some for formal night but we are not the tux or dark suit fans.  To each their own.

Firstly, I would say what others choose to wear for suggested dress code nights makes no difference to me or my wife.

She loves to dress up no matter what the occasion (land or at sea). I therefore dress up to compliment her.

On our last cruise ( a B2B in the Caribbean) I took four formal jackets. The luggage weight was no issue as the jackets were all slim fit and I took two pairs of shoes to match.

Dress for your partner and out of respect for your table companions, and the crew who make an effort to create such a nice ambience on formal nights.

I guess I just can't imagine why anybody would *want* to go to a formal dinner without dressing formally.   Seriously, help me understand -- what is the point?   It would be like going to the symphony and whistling and humming (or talking, which people do) because you don't like music.  OK, great, I get that you are indicating that you are a rugged individualist, but why did you make the choice to go?  What is the pleasure in it?   Just to annoy people?

Honestly, I am not that crazy about dressing up, or even formal dinners.   I think we have done it twice, but when I am on a ship I want to feel like I am on a ship and would rather take in the view or whatever is going on.   I can eat out any time, but if people like to dress up and eat out while ignoring the reason that so much fuel has been spent to get them to Aruba rather than Queens,  that is their business.   At least on the large ships that I have been on there are plenty to eat informally and that is where we usually eat.   The same on land, if I am going to a nice place I make some effort to dress up because the people who work there have to dress up, so it is a measure of respect.   

The point of living isn't to prove that other people are wrong by being annoyed by your actions.     Mostly I crusie on my own boat now, and I find it interesting that a very tiny minority of people will take a great deal of effort to get to a beautiful, remote place with a few other boats or kayaks, crank up the tunes really loud and roar around in their dinghy like they are in Lake Washington during Sea Fair.   Sometimes they are rather aggessive about it, as if they are taking pleasure in spoiling the experience for other people, and I seriously do not understand why they go to the effort.   

Edited by NorthwestCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

I guess I just can't imagine why anybody would *want* to go to a formal dinner without dressing formally.   Seriously, help me understand -- what is the point?   It would be like going to the symphony and whistling and humming (or talking, which people do) because you don't like music.  OK, great, I get that you are indicating that you are a rugged individualist, but why did you make the choice to go?  What is the pleasure in it?   Just to annoy people?

Honestly, I am not that crazy about dressing up, or even formal dinners.   I think we have done it twice, but when I am on a ship I want to feel like I am on a ship and would rather take in the view or whatever is going on.   I can eat out any time, but if people like to dress up and eat out while ignoring the reason that so much fuel has been spent to get them to Aruba rather than Queens,  that is their business.   At least on the large ships that I have been on there are plenty to eat informally and that is where we usually eat.   The same on land, if I am going to a nice place I make some effort to dress up because the people who work there have to dress up, so it is a measure of respect.   

No explanation should be needed. Why does someone wish to explain the way they dress to anyone. Maybe you could explain why the need to dress formally?  What is the point? Help us all understand. Why do you get pleasure out of dressing up to please others even when you admit-tingly are not crazy about dressing up. After all no one is forcing you to dress formally not even the venue.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Could be, but I expect Princess will very much continue with offering Formal Night opportunity.  They will probably rightly figure folks will be ready to fancy it up after being cooped up due to Coronavirus/COVID-19/Wuhan Flu.  We will most likely continue to spruce up some for formal night but we are not the tux or dark suit fans.  To each their own.

That very well could be the case but I see a possible decrease in people willing to book cruises just after this virus incident. The cruise lines will be happy just to see people willing to return to sailing once again. 

I suspect most of the people on Cruise Critic aren't an example of the typical cruiser since most of them seem to be dedicated lifelong cruisers. 

8 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

People cruise for different reasons and having a decent meal to some doesn't mean having to dress up for it.

I doubt if it's done to annoy anyone.

8 hours ago, NorthwestCruiser said:

The point of living isn't to prove that other people are wrong by being annoyed by your actions.     Mostly I crusie on my own boat now, and I find it interesting that a very tiny minority of people will take a great deal of effort to get to a beautiful, remote place with a few other boats or kayaks, crank up the tunes really loud and roar around in their dinghy like they are in Lake Washington during Sea Fair.   Sometimes they are rather aggessive about it, as if they are taking pleasure in spoiling the experience for other people, and I seriously do not understand why they go to the effort.   

Actually the crew who work on the ships don't have a choice of the uniforms to wear. They're told how to dress for every occasion. If given a choice they might not dress up at all and just wear their casual clothing every night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To each his own. I enjoy putting on a dress to have a nice dinner and my husband will wear a jacket, no tie. Wouldn't want to have to put a gown or a tux on however. Years ago my parents were frequent cruisers exclusively on Holland America and the formal nights in which you did wear a gown or a dinner jacket were the highlights of the cruise and their vacations.

What I don't enjoy is being seated next to some one at dinner who clearly brought nothing with them on the ship but a ratty pair of jeans or an uncollared tee-shirt. It isn't that difficult to pack a pair of slacks and a nice shirt.

15 minutes ago, bookmama22 said:

What I don't enjoy is being seated next to some one at dinner who clearly brought nothing with them on the ship but a ratty pair of jeans or an uncollared tee-shirt. It isn't that difficult to pack a pair of slacks and a nice shirt.

That's why they offer tables for 2 so you won't have to sit right next to them. 

4 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

To each his own. I enjoy putting on a dress to have a nice dinner and my husband will wear a jacket, no tie. Wouldn't want to have to put a gown or a tux on however. Years ago my parents were frequent cruisers exclusively on Holland America and the formal nights in which you did wear a gown or a dinner jacket were the highlights of the cruise and their vacations.

Been on thirty cruises I will sit with anyone not my business what they wear! As long as they are nice could care less! Rather sit with great folks in Jeans than assholes in suits! Had one cruise where this couple came in dressed to the hilt hogged the bread basket spoke to no one We had too order extra bread for the rest of us .

Clothes do not make the person!

Edited by Reader0108598

CCL and RCL solved this problem on their more dress nights.  They require a minimum much like the Princess minimum has become and say that those that wish to dress formal may do so.  I never could understand why what someone wears to dinner makes my meal taste less.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

CCL and RCL solved this problem on their more dress nights.  They require a minimum much like the Princess minimum has become and say that those that wish to dress formal may do so.  I never could understand why what someone wears to dinner makes my meal taste less.  

I've never understood why pants upset so many people.  Do they spend the evening crawling around under the tables inspecting the pants people wear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2020 at 8:43 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I've never understood why pants upset so many people. 

Some folks seem to take dressing up to heart but why they want other folks to follow their lead is puzzling. Dress up for the enjoyment of others if you like or simply dress casual & sit by yourselves at a table for 2 and it shouldn't bother anyone else.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BIG TIME CRUISER said:

Some folks seem to take dressing up to heart but why they want other folks to follow their lead is puzzling. Dress up for the enjoyment of others if you like or simply dress casual & sit by yourselves at a table for 2 and it shouldn't bother anyone else.  

One of the common reasons given is that encountering those who do not dress up destroys 'ambiance'.  They see dressing up as an enjoyable experience that requires little effort.  They simply do not understand why others don't share these beliefs.  

Well as you all said, to each their own. In my opinion you are on vacation to enjoy yourself but part of my enjoyment is having a nice dinner with my husband. We usually request a table for 2 in the main dining room but you can still be seated next to someone who is wearing jeans that look as if they have been slept in. I have no problem with someone wearing jeans that are nicely pressed, preferably with a collared shirt. The taste of my meal is not affected by what the person who is sitting perhaps at the table for two next to mine is wearing however my enjoyment of my dining experience is affected. You wouldn't dine inappropriately dressed at a nice restaurant.  I so enjoyed our Norwegian cruise to Bermuda in which one of their dining rooms is styled as a Manhattan supper club with a big band and there were many families on board and it was charming to see boys dancing with their moms wearing nicely pressed khakis and collared polo shirts.  To each their own..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:55 AM, satxdiver said:

Because its a special and fun night. If you dont want it to be special, ok.ruins the ambiance for me. Thats why I have Cunard as mt next cruise. Frankly I think Princess should abolish the dress code. 

53 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Because its a special and fun night. If you dont want it to be special, ok.ruins the ambiance for me. Thats why I have Cunard as mt next cruise. Frankly I think Princess should abolish the dress code. 

Wise choice.  Princess appeals to the mass market of older pax between 40 or so and 80+.  If you want the fancy dinners and all that comes with it, then Princess is not for you.  Carnival Corp owns 9 cruise lines so those wanting the more formal atmosphere need to look at Cunard or even Seaborne for the ultimate experience.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

Well as you all said, to each their own. In my opinion you are on vacation to enjoy yourself but part of my enjoyment is having a nice dinner with my husband. We usually request a table for 2 in the main dining room but you can still be seated next to someone who is wearing jeans that look as if they have been slept in. I have no problem with someone wearing jeans that are nicely pressed, preferably with a collared shirt. The taste of my meal is not affected by what the person who is sitting perhaps at the table for two next to mine is wearing however my enjoyment of my dining experience is affected. You wouldn't dine inappropriately dressed at a nice restaurant.  I so enjoyed our Norwegian cruise to Bermuda in which one of their dining rooms is styled as a Manhattan supper club with a big band and there were many families on board and it was charming to see boys dancing with their moms wearing nicely pressed khakis and collared polo shirts.  To each their own..

Who in their right mind presses jeans anymore.  I remember folks doing this maybe 50 years ago but that was then.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, oskidunker said:

With the way things are going lately just having customers on the ships later this year would be a good thing. The last thing they need are people fussing about a dress code.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Who in their right mind presses jeans anymore.  I remember folks doing this maybe 50 years ago but that was then.  

Used to Iron jeans and the white T-shirts, but your right I'm old!  I was a teen then! lol In fact don't Iron anything anymore  screw it!lol 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Dressing for a princess cruise?

I guess I thought this was rather obvious.

I'm not sure which is for formal night.

Hazmat-suit-levels.png

I think level A is for formal night.   😂

• Haha 1