P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Me too, Sue (the sleepless night).  Having a mug of tea, hoping we can both nod off again!

I eventually went back to sleep, straight to the alarm at 6-45 - ugh! Good thing I am working from home today, will be going to my home ‘office’ in a bit!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Most bus services are in private hands following deregulation in 1986.

Stagecoach and Go North East seem to be the bus operators up here.

The rain is pouring down here at the moment and 10°C.

• Like 1

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

it is cloudy outside here today but forecast to better later so fingers crossed.

Hubby just taken dogs out for their first walk of the day. One of our dogs is 13 now, he is a golden retriever and sadly he has started to change recently, not always wanting to eat and prefers to be hand fed and not always wanting to go for a walk. Vets says apart from old age he is perfectly healthy, I can only imagine we will have some difficult decisions to make in the future.

Not a great week for me either, wounds following my operation are not healing as well as they should be so been back at wounds clinic this week then on same day had a skin lesion removed for possible skin cancer, got a large dent and scab on my arm now but thankful it has been sorted quickly.

Hope everyone else has had a good week and has a nice weekend planned.

Michelle

• Like 11

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Didn't you like bonking Boris?(Becker not Johnson).

No, he was an unpleasant (and, sorry, ugly) youngster and age has not improved him one bit.  He seems to think he is God's gift.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

No, he was an unpleasant (and, sorry, ugly) youngster and age has not improved him one bit.  He seems to think he is God's gift.

They're both similar then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

it is cloudy outside here today but forecast to better later so fingers crossed.

Hubby just taken dogs out for their first walk of the day. One of our dogs is 13 now, he is a golden retriever and sadly he has started to change recently, not always wanting to eat and prefers to be hand fed and not always wanting to go for a walk. Vets says apart from old age he is perfectly healthy, I can only imagine we will have some difficult decisions to make in the future.

Not a great week for me either, wounds following my operation are not healing as well as they should be so been back at wounds clinic this week then on same day had a skin lesion removed for possible skin cancer, got a large dent and scab on my arm now but thankful it has been sorted quickly.

Michelle

Michelle,sorry to hear about your dog, you love them so much and it breaks your heart when they start to suffer through old age. Sorry for you too. You seem to be getting very good treatment from your hospital. Have a good weekend, the weather forecast looks good for us.

Jennizor

X

• Like 8

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Is it easy to get from Portsmouth to Southampton? I could travel there by train a couple of days early and visit the sights before travelling to Southampton for the cruise.

Easy peasy... Of course you can take the train, but for a scenic route (!)we would favour the X4 bus from Portsmouth Hard bus station (right next door to Gunwharf)  to Orchard Place in Southampton, which is just across the road from berth 46 dock gate 4.

Alternatively the train is right there too. Portsmouth and Southampton are well connected .....until it comes to football! 

Edited by alpha whiskey
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Michelle,sorry to hear about your dog, you love them so much and it breaks your heart when they start to suffer through old age. Sorry for you too. You seem to be getting very good treatment from your hospital. Have a good weekend, the weather forecast looks good for us.

Jennizor

X

The weather around here does look good doesn’t it? We have friends coming tomorrow for a BBQ so I am keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 I have to say the treatment I have received from the NHS has been fantastic.

Michelle

• Like 6

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I have started to use bustimesdotorg a web site not an app. I check if the bus i want to catch has just left Chatham by looking on the map. The bus icons are colour coded by company . I click on the 132 icon and from there you get the bus info. At least you know that one is running.

Top tip.... don't do an Internet search for that website. You will probably get clinics offering body modifications, or  worse.🤣

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Top tip.... don't do an Internet search for that website. You will probably get clinics offering body modifications, or  worse.🤣

Cheers for the tip , it helps us keep abreast of such matters 😉

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Sorry to hear your wounds are not healing as well as expected Michelle.

Any possible skin cancer is best removed.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 4

Just now, Peanut006 said:
4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear your wounds are not healing as well as expected Michelle.

Any possible skin cancer is best removed.

Best wishes.

Graham.

Yes, glad it’s removed. Hopefully onwards and upwards now. How stupid I was  when I was 18/19/20 sunbathing all day on holiday using Hawaiian Tropic or some other oil, factor 2 or something equally ridiculous. You don’t realise the damage until later. 

Michelle

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I was thinking of getting some new pens,on second thoughts.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Yes, glad it’s removed. Hopefully onwards and upwards now. How stupid I was  when I was 18/19/20 sunbathing all day on holiday using Hawaiian Tropic or some other oil, factor 2 or something equally ridiculous. You don’t realise the damage until later. 

Michelle

I wouldn't say you were stupid Michelle ,back in early 70's we were unaware compared to today.

A relative of mine used to nip in the village chemist and buy a bottle of olive oil as she said it helped her skin stay moist and  tan better.

I was as bad munching through tons of Mars bars that would help me work rest and play and just to give me energy a bottle of Lucozade to give me even  more energy and stop me being poorly 🙄 Even sugar was good back then !

Hope you get sorted soon and give that dog a hug from me ,they really are our best friends 🙂

Edited by kalos
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, kalos said:

I wouldn't say you were stupid Michelle ,back in early 70's we were unaware compared to today.

A relative of mine used to nip in the village chemist and buy a bottle of olive oil as she said it helped her skin stay moist and  tan better.

I was as bad munching through tons of Mars bars that would help me work rest and play and just to give me energy a bottle of Lucozade to give me even  more energy and stop me being poorly 🙄 Even sugar was good back then !

Hope you get sorted soon and give that dog a hug from me ,they really are our best friends 🙂

Thank you Kalos for your kind words

Michelle

• Like 1

When I was growing up in Southampton we never went to Portsmouth apart from the historical dockyards, it just wasn’t done!! If we were travelling to a nearby city/town it would be Salisbury, Bournemouth or Winchester. 
Southampton doesn’t promote itself very well as a historical city, you only need a day but there are plenty of things to visit and see. I haven’t lived in the city for 38 years but my parents continued to live there so we visited the area regularly and now my Cheshire born son lives there as he feels at home there. In fact I have family connections there traced back to the 1400s when one of my ancestors was mayor of Southampton, so I am biased. 

• Like 8

Well after yesterday’s wonderful weather, clear skies temperatures reaching 21C, we managed to get both bed linen and towels dry on the rotary line, wouldn’t do that today currently raining and 15C, but looking ahead we appear to be in a some long spells of sunshine from tomorrow, so I can finish off the garden jobs I have earmarked for this month.

Today I have to complete feedback form for possibly the most boring H&S Course ever,  that I was required to attend earlier this week, some filing and tidying up of my office, which has become a tad untidy over recent weeks. Other than that a quiet day!

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

We were the same until Pauline got a basal cell skin cancer 10 years ago.

I have had 2 BCC removed off my face.

7 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

When we go (hopefully ) on our short cruise in June we’ve booked the Holiday Inn at Gunwharf quays the night before. We were supposed to go last year for two nights but I cancelled it and it was also the Queen’s funeral. Haven’t been to Gunwharf for ages but I really like it , lots to do. Going up the Spinaker Tower is great!

Thought it would be a change from staying in Southampton and as embarkation times are supposed to be strictly enforced now it ‘wastes’ a bit of time in the morning!

We know the Portsmouth area well @P&O SUE as my husband is from the area, so have continued to visit his parents until recent years and still meet up with a group of his school friends every year or so.  Just be aware the roads to Southampton from there are not always quick moving and there can easily be big delays, so I suggest you do not leave plenty of time to head to Southampton to embark a cruise ship, though of course there is a service station just before the M271 turnoff, so could hole up there a while if you do turn out to have a bit of time to spare. 

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 2

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

Is it easy to get from Portsmouth to Southampton? I could travel there by train a couple of days early and visit the sights before travelling to Southampton for the cruise.

Yes - and there is a good selection of Premier Inn type hotels close to Portsmouth Harbour station too. From there it is easy to do all the historical sites and the shopping at Gunwharf Quays. Gunwharf also has a good range of restaurants and a cinema. 

• Like 6