P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Lovely sunny morning here but only 2°c so a bit of frost on the gardens.  I have to go for a blood test this morning, I was going to walk down to the surgery but I have changed my mind realising how cold it actually feels outside.

Have a good day

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Interesting post on our community page today after the announcement that one of the 3 relatively local CofE churches is to close permanently following a Order raised by the diocese.

The church is in the Historic England at risk register for around 8 or 9 years and is now categorised at the top level of risk. The church was closed in 2022 for safety reasons and they moved to the local secondary school, a dual faith school. The estimated cost of repair is in the region of £1m to £2m as the some of the issues are caused by ground movement beneath the church.

The church has an active congregation of 9, a PCC that consists of 1 person, a treasurer from another church covers the financial aspects of the church, but according to sole church warden expenditure exceeds income and the church is no longer sustainable.

However that hasn’t stopped people making comments, such as

the Church of England is well off it should cover the cost of repairs.

The church is the heart of the community (well for 9 people).

It’s an historic building it should be saved etc

When asked whether they attend or not the answer was none of the 50 or so people who commented had attended a service there excluding marriages or funerals. One didn’t know where the church was as she commented on the wrong church.

The expectation is that the church will close, the weekly services at the school are going to fortnightly, due to lack of attendees and the Diocese is merging 2 benefices.

People want to the money spent on the church but have not intention of attending, as the church warden said the church it’s the church building that is closing not the church. Joint services are planned with the other 2 churches, so those who wish to attend can do so.

I am not a church goer, but the hypocrisy of some of the people annoyed me this evening and I feel for the church warden and so of the comments she is having to deal with, some of the more extreme have been removed by the admins. 

Out of interest, as someone who lived in the same part of the county as I think you do for many years, what church are you referring to?

Morning 4.c and dull here .

On the subject of churches ,it's sad to see some of them go but if only 

nine folk are using it ?

The part I don't like is when you see one converted into a pub ,don't

seem right to me . 

When up Sunderland we used to stay in a guest house and opposite

a church came up for sale, we feared the worst for it .

Glad to say someone bought it refurbed it and is now a family home .

Rather see that than it fall into disrepair .

@Adawn47 Message from Mrs K .." John West are now doing a tuna in 

spring water but a newer version as well that is lower in salt ☺️"

Have a good day everyone !

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone,

After a lovely sunny day yesterday we are back to mizzle. 

Going out for a meal tonight and meeting up with an old school friend who has come down to the area for a visit. Can't believe it is seven years since we last saw each other. So looking forward to having a good catch up. Other than that nothing planned.

Hope you all have a good day.

Pam 

• Like 10

I should have walked to the surgery.  The car park was full as was the pharmacy car park next door, the public car park along the road and the small stretch of road that is yellow lines free was full of parked cars so I had to go to a small unpaved car park that I know nearby and then walk back to the surgery, at least I achieved 2978 steps towards my daily 10k.

• Like 6

It is very sad to see churches closing, unfortunately it is not restricted to Anglican ones.  The loss of a church is unfortunately a sign of the changing demographic of the population of the UK.  The removal of things like morning prayers at assembly in the name of inclusivity has served to move young people ever further from the organised church.  It is a sad state of affairs.

As someone living in the main diocese of a great cathedral I find it quite ridiculous that to visit for prayer, sitting in reflection or lighting a candle of remembrance I am asked to join a queue of tourists paying £9-£10 each and produce photo id to allow my free entry. The two local  parish churches are locked apart from the times of published services, this giving the impression worship or prayer can only occur when the organised church says so.

On a visit to St Paul's Cathedral with friends from Australia last year we were asked to pay £25.00 each to enter so £100 for the four of us.  This for visiting a building I grew up knowing as East London's main church, head of religion for the region's working classes and which through my working life was often my lunchtime refuge for prayer and peace if work was a bit too hectic.  While on that visit a young German lad climbed onto a lectern to have his photograph taken and was reprimanded and spoken to very harshly by a member of staff.  My friend went to the boy's defence telling the staff member "hey mate, when you charge so much for entry you've turned your cathedral into a theme park, not a place of worship". Although surprised at this reaction it was suitable food for thought, particularly with over a quarter of Britain's cathedrals now charging substantial entry fees. I'm not quite sure what I feel about these charges now as a result.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It is very sad to see churches closing, unfortunately it is not restricted to Anglican ones.  The loss of a church is unfortunately a sign of the changing demographic of the population of the UK.  The removal of things like morning prayers at assembly in the name of inclusivity has served to move young people ever further from the organised church.  It is a sad state of affairs.

As someone living in the main diocese of a great cathedral I find it quite ridiculous that to visit for prayer, sitting in reflection or lighting a candle of remembrance I am asked to join a queue of tourists paying £9-£10 each and produce photo id to allow my free entry. The two local  parish churches are locked apart from the times of published services, this giving the impression worship or prayer can only occur when the organised church says so.

On a visit to St Paul's Cathedral with friends from Australia last year we were asked to pay £25.00 each to enter so £100 for the four of us.  This for visiting a building I grew up knowing as East London's main church, head of religion for the region's working classes and which through my working life was often my lunchtime refuge for prayer and peace if work was a bit too hectic.  While on that visit a young German lad climbed onto a lectern to have his photograph taken and was reprimanded and spoken to very harshly by a member of staff.  My friend went to the boy's defence telling the staff member "hey mate, when you charge so much for entry you've turned your cathedral into a theme park, not a place of worship". Although surprised at this reaction it was suitable food for thought, particularly with over a quarter of Britain's cathedrals now charging substantial entry fees. I'm not quite sure what I feel about these charges now as a result.

We usually put £5 each in the collection plate every Sunday at our church.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

I’m actually shocked that St Paul’s asked for £25 admission! The Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool is free entry although donations are appreciated. I would recommend a visit if you’re ever in Liverpool, the 5th largest cathedral in the world and of course we’ve also got Paddy’s Wigwam aka the ‘spare’ (as in the lyrics of In My Liverpool Home) at the other end of Hope Street.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We decided to have a Starbucks coffee,hot chocolate and 2 warm banana loaf at the beach.

IMG_20240306_100525_BURST001_COVER.jpg

There is banana bread currently in the oven because I had some bananas that were past their best and I wanted to use them up.  I like to add walnuts usually but didn't have any in today.

I first had banana bread in Nova Scotia in the 1990s and have been addicted ever since and DH is equally addicted.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I’m actually shocked that St Paul’s asked for £25 admission! The Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool is free entry although donations are appreciated. I would recommend a visit if you’re ever in Liverpool, the 5th largest cathedral in the world and of course we’ve also got Paddy’s Wigwam aka the ‘spare’ (as in the lyrics of In My Liverpool Home) at the other end of Hope Street.

Yes I visited both last year when in Liverpool, both absolutely beautiful.  As someone who loves visiting Cathedrals the £25 is not exceptional.  York costs £18.00, Canterbury £17.00 and Westminster Abbey £29.00.  

As referenced by Graham I happily put money into the collection plate on visits to church and indeed put money in voluntary collection boxes in churches all over the world.  My comment is mainly that charging high entry fees may be very off putting to people  visiting and becoming engaged with the church.  Compulsion to pay rather than voluntary voluntary is I'd guess most offputting.  Advance tickets for Madam Tussauds and the London Eye are £50 yet to visit St Paul's and Westminster Abbey is £54!

Incidentally on my own "moan" about Salisbury Cathedral our council tax for many years carried an amount towards living in its diocese.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes I visited both last year when in Liverpool, both absolutely beautiful.  As someone who loves visiting Cathedrals the £25 is not exceptional.  York costs £18.00, Canterbury £17.00 and Westminster Abbey £29.00.  

As referenced by Graham I happily put money into the collection plate on visits to church and indeed put money in voluntary collection boxes in churches all over the world.  My comment is mainly that charging high entry fees may be very off putting to people  visiting and becoming engaged with the church.  Compulsion to pay rather than voluntary voluntary is I'd guess most offputting.  Advance tickets for Madam Tussauds and the London Eye are £50 yet to visit St Paul's and Westminster Abbey is £54!

Incidentally on my own "moan" about Salisbury Cathedral our council tax for many years carried an amount towards living in its diocese.  

I can't remember paying admission charges in Europe. I can't remember if we paid to go into notra dame. Only the Vatican, but not St Peters.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, but Predictive had done my head in. ....I have never been to ' not drains '...never.😡

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I can't remember paying admission charges in Europe. I can't remember if we paid to go into notra dame. Only the Vatican, but not St Peters.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, but Predictive had done my head in. ....I have never been to ' not drains '...never.😡

Exactly my thoughts Zap.  I have paid a small charge, a Euro or two if I recall correctly, for a Spanish cathedral - I cannot remember which exactly but it was commented on because it was so rare.

I have never encountered a Catholic cathedral charging, Westminster Cathedral for instance is free so I tend to take my visiting friends there rather than the Abbey or St Paul's unless I'm specifically asked for one of those two.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I paid in Notre Dame,it gave me the right hump.

• Haha 11

As a bit of a loner as a kid.I'm glad I went to all the London sights in the school hols for just a 5 bob red rover.Later as a plumber walking around the British museum and National gallery in my boiler suit whilst waiting for deliveries.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

@Adawn47 Message from Mrs K .." John West are now doing a tuna in 

spring water but a newer version as well that is lower in salt ☺️

Thank you Mrs K I'll look for that. I like to keep a couple of tins in for when we fancy a tuna sandwich😊

I buy frozen tuna steaks a lot too. The ones at Asda are really nice, not as good as fresh tuna obviously, but needs must. Two steaks in a pack are £5,but they are on offer at the moment at 3 packs £10 so I always stock up. One steak is 0.26g salt, so that's fine. I think?🤫

I hope😕

Avril

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We visited St Paul’s as a family about 18 years ago. Having paid a considerable sum to get in, we were suddenly ushered out after about half an hour - I think they were going to hold a service there. The ushers were quite rude and abrupt!

I did think that £18 was quite steep for York Minster last month, but to be fair, they had volunteers there who were more than eager to tell us more about the window restoration project and the museum in the crypt was well laid out and very informative. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

We visited St Paul’s as a family about 18 years ago. Having paid a considerable sum to get in, we were suddenly ushered out after about half an hour - I think they were going to hold a service there. The ushers were quite rude and abrupt!

I did think that £18 was quite steep for York Minster last month, but to be fair, they had volunteers there who were more than eager to tell us more about the window restoration project and the museum in the crypt was well laid out and very informative. 

I agree about the rudeness, absolutely ridiculous.  The most annoying thing is after forking out the £25.00 they then wanted extra to visit the crypt and yet more for the Whispering Gallery and higher.   

I couldn't help but think of Jesus and the money lenders in the bible at that point.

Our home cathedral has just for the first time in over 30 years had the last scaffolding removed and is no longer under repair.  We used to have big signs up telling us the EU were funding a large amount of the work, now I guess all that missing funds is going to have to be clawed back through entrance fees.

• Like 4

Megabear it was nice seeing Salisbury cathedral not have scaffolding around it for a change , it’s so inspiring to see it from a distance, has many know on here I am a Jehovah’s Witness and I respect every ones else religion and I do also go into churches abroad to look at the magnificent architecture and a peaceful place that churches are , I visited St Paul’s cathedral in London a few years ago because my mother found it a magnificent place to be and I wanted to see it for myself and it was impressive but we certainly didn’t pay what they are charging now , I think it’s ridiculous of how much they do charge to go in our churches and cathedrals and should be a voluntary donation, not everyone can afford these prices .

We have a church in Bournemouth that turned into a nightclub year’s ago 😳

• Like 3

Durham Cathedral is free.

However, we, our grandchildren, and a lot of other people in Durham have paid a £1 a brick for 300,000 Lego bricks to make a model of the Cathedral. It is now finished and looks fantastic.

Personally I wouldn't pay to go into a church. Pay to pray doesn't sit right.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Exactly my thoughts Zap.  I have paid a small charge, a Euro or two if I recall correctly, for a Spanish cathedral - I cannot remember which exactly but it was commented on because it was so rare.

I have never encountered a Catholic cathedral charging, Westminster Cathedral for instance is free so I tend to take my visiting friends there rather than the Abbey or St Paul's unless I'm specifically asked for one of those two.

Last year we went into the cathedral at San Diago de Compostela. I think they asked for a donation. We walked the camino, well not all of it, but from the coach park.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Last year we went into the cathedral at San Diago de Compostela. I think they asked for a donation. We walked the camino, well not all of it, but from the coach park.😁

There is a really good book about travelling the Camino. Travels with my Donkey by Tim Moore.

Like you I was a lazy pilgrim and did the bit from the bus!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

https://premierchristian.news/en/news/article/nearly-one-in-four-cathedrals-in-england-now-charging-for-entry

On Monday we done a unusual thing and went to the pictures to see Oppenheimer which was a long , intense, and listen to film , which I got a little lost towards the end but picked it back up , a really powerful film , I felt I had a history lesson 😂😂 anyway on Tuesday we went to see Poor things , not knowing what it really was about only seeing that they had won BAFTAs for it but in all honesty I would not recommend it , it was totally not our scene a bit raunchy 🤣🤣🤣 practically 2 1/2 of the 3 hour film and to say there was 12 of us in the pictures says it all , so be warned all 😂

anyway we’re off to Cornwall for the week in a caravan, love Cornwall it’s were we honeymoond 46 years ago with £10 in our pockets! How nieve were we 😂

• Like 5