P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

25 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Had a call from Dr, not ill enough for anti virals. Just collecting a machine to monitor my oxygen levels which is done via an app and the “virtual “ ward will monitor me. Going to ring me every day for 5 days to check how I am 

Michelle

Glad they're in touch, and obviously closely monitoring.  This now seems to be the usual route, judging by the comments on a related closed FB group for the CEVs, and the outcomes are good - Omicron seems to have made all the difference! Doctors know so much more about this than even a few months ago, thank goodness.

• Like 1

Guest ccpm

Hoping that you and your OH continue to feel Okish with the illness Michelle and that you both get well soon.

It is boiling here today not least because everywhere there are navy doors which I swear are making it hotter. The doors are being fitted next week, I feel guilty because someone else will have to wait a bit longer but it is not my problem it is the builders and this is his solution. I hardly dare go for a paper this morning in case windows and bifold doors came along but thankfully no. 

4 weeks until the Jubilee and some harsh words being exchanged locally about what is planned or not in Holt. What little there is sounds underwhelming. TV it is then. 

Edited by ccpm

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Had a call from Dr, not ill enough for anti virals. Just collecting a machine to monitor my oxygen levels which is done via an app and the “virtual “ ward will monitor me. Going to ring me every day for 5 days to check how I am 

Michelle

I’ve not checked into this thread for a few days and was so sorry you tested positive after your holiday. Hopefully mild and with your doctor ‘on your case’ you should be fine 🤞.

Did you enjoy Estepona?  Was it up to your expectations re A Place in the Sun?

My DS has just told us he thinks we’ve been incredibly lucky not to get Covid given the travelling and cruising we’ve done!  Now that our booster efficacy is surely on the wane, I’m getting more concerned and hope that the second booster is offered to the under-75s soon.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ve not checked into this thread for a few days and was so sorry you tested positive after your holiday. Hopefully mild and with your doctor ‘on your case’ you should be fine 🤞.

My DS has just told us he thinks we’ve been incredibly lucky not to get Covid given the travelling and cruising we’ve done!  Now that our booster efficacy is surely on the wane, I’m getting more concerned and hope that the second booster is offered to the under-75s soon.

Estepona was lovely, very Spanish and pretty. No McDonalds etc. Lots of great places to get tapas and drinks. 

We stayed about a 15/20 min walk to port and another 20/25 min to the old town and shops. All on a nice walkway. La Duquesa which is also on A Place in the Sun was lovely too. We would go back.

I feel the same as you about the booster, hopefully we won’t have to wait too long.

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Estepona was lovely, very Spanish and pretty. No McDonalds etc. Lots of great places to get tapas and drinks. 

We stayed about a 15/20 min walk to port and another 20/25 min to the old town and shops. All on a nice walkway. La Duquesa which is also on A Place in the Sun was lovely too. We would go back.

I feel the same as you about the booster, hopefully we won’t have to wait too long.

Michelle

Haven’t you been offered yours already, Michelle? You and I are, I think, in a similar position and I’ve now had 4 jabs, with a fifth due any time now. That’s the original two, then a third primary dose, then a booster (4th jab), and a second booster (5th jab) due between 3 and 6 months after jab 4.

Complicated, isn’t it?  😶

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Haven’t you been offered yours already, Michelle? You and I are, I think, in a similar position and I’ve now had 4 jabs, with a fifth due any time now. That’s the original two, then a third primary dose, then a booster (4th jab), and a second booster (5th jab) due between 3 and 6 months after jab 4.

Complicated, isn’t it?  😶

No, not had my 4th injection yet. They said I am not entitled yet as I am not clinically vulnerable (I wasn’t req’d to shield in the first lockdown and NHS didn’t contact me) and I am under 75.

I have secondary progressive MS and would willingly have a booster tmoro 

Michelle

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

No, not had my 4th injection yet. They said I am not entitled yet as I am not clinically vulnerable (I wasn’t req’d to shield in the first lockdown and NHS didn’t contact me) and I am under 75.

Michelle

By actually having covid you will have some natural protection which should have a longevity of a booster, of course there is no guarantee that you won't get covid again especially if a new strain prevails. Studies are ongoing as to whether it can be determined that vaccination gives equal to or better protection than natural immunity. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Apologies, Michelle - I wasn't meaning to pry.  It's just that through very regular contact with quite a few people in my own position (under 75 but with an auto-immune condition that's controlled by drugs which knock out the vaccines) I know that people who are already due jabs 4 and 5 aren't getting them simply because the administrative procedures have been somewhat mangled. 

You'll remember Jane Beckett, who used to post here until the end of last year (I do hope she's well and just found better things to do in retirement!).  She knew - as a Practice Manager - how complex the systems are, and how easy it is for someone to miss out on something that's due.  I feel deeply sorry for the GPs, and all their staff, having to contend with Covid, the aftermath of Covid, and the complications caused by Covid, all under attack from certain newspapers who haven't the slightest awareness of the facts, or interest in the facts. Just a cheap story.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Apologies, Michelle - I wasn't meaning to pry.  It's just that through very regular contact with quite a few people in my own position (under 75 but with an auto-immune condition that's controlled by drugs which knock out the vaccines) I know that people who are already due jabs 4 and 5 aren't getting them simply because the administrative procedures have been somewhat mangled. 

You'll remember Jane Beckett, who used to post here until the end of last year (I do hope she's well and just found better things to do in retirement!).  She knew - as a Practice Manager - how complex the systems are, and how easy it is for someone to miss out on something that's due.  I feel deeply sorry for the GPs, and all their staff, having to contend with Covid, the aftermath of Covid, and the complications caused by Covid, all under attack from certain newspapers who haven't the slightest awareness of the facts, or interest in the facts. Just a cheap story.

No need to apologise, I didn’t think you were prying at all. I am glad I am not making the decisions who is getting/ not getting boosters.

I am sure we will all get them eventually 

Michelle

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

By actually having covid you will have some natural protection which should have a longevity of a booster, of course there is no guarantee that you won't get covid again especially if a new strain prevails. Studies are ongoing as to whether it can be determined that vaccination gives equal to or better protection than natural immunity. 

I didn’t think about natural protection having Covid. Thank you for reminding me

Michelle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Frank is 76, I was 75  last Friday, and we had a text from the NHS this morning to book our second boosters.

Avril

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

No

Let her pop over the bridge for her fish & chips but you stay town side and do Rockfish.  Or try Quayside Bar & Kitchen, which has an unexciting ‘always’ menu but a fantastic daily chalkboard, with at least five fish specials.  Or The Crab House, which you’d almost certainly need to book, but has recommendations from Rick Stein etc.

We are going to weymouth next month for a long weekend with daughter, son in law and 3 grandkids. We are booked into rockfish on the saturday. Went there last year as well. Everytime my daughter goes away she has to find a rockfish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Same for my daughter she is also secondary progressive but cannot walk and has limited use of 1 hand. She wasn't contacted either in 1st lockdown and had to wait ages for her 1st jab. Had 1 booster but not a second one. I know she is only young (43 yesterday) but she also is extremely vulnerable. Must depend where you live and your dr's surgery. Her Dr didn't put her on the vulnerable list.🤥

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Only just catching up Michelle. Hope you continue to stay well and I’m glad you had a good holiday . Annoying about the wait for luggage - by the end of the holiday I just want to go home then!

Well it’s all doom and gloom here I’m afraid. Work wise it’s been confirmed I have to go into the office two days a week now - which is ok except they’ve given us all laptops so I have to lug it in in every time! And I have a 35 minute walk. Add to that they’re closing our office soon and it makes no sense. No idea where the new office will be - hate the uncertainty!

My son has had to change his working hours - he will now have Tuesdays off so in four weeks time I won’t be needed to look after my gorgeous grandson 😢

Finally my dad’s leg has been playing up all week and a huge bruise had developed! the GP’s promised extra strong painkillers didn’t get to the chemist so he ended up going to A&E yesterday. I had my mum here because I didn’t want her sitting alone in the car park or even in the hospital as her vascular Parkinson’s makes her very anxious and restless. Anyway Dad had a good MOT - lots of X-rays (he feared his hip op had gone wrong) They were more concerned about his heart rate which was apparently racing/ hardly surprising!

Anyway he did get released, was dreading they’d admit him - no drugs issued there either! He’s so laid back he didn’t ask them for pain killers 🙄 Gawd knows how long it will take to get through to his GP on a Monday morning!!

Sorry for long post, I want life to be dull and boring again!

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well it’s all doom and gloom here I’m afraid. Work wise it’s been confirmed I have to go into the office two days a week now - which is ok except they’ve given us all laptops so I have to lug it in in every time! And I have a 35 minute walk. Add to that they’re closing our office soon and it makes no sense. No idea where the new office will be - hate the uncertainty!

My son has had to change his working hours - he will now have Tuesdays off so in four weeks time I won’t be needed to look after my gorgeous grandson 😢

Finally my dad’s leg has been playing up all week and a huge bruise had developed! the GP’s promised extra strong painkillers didn’t get to the chemist so he ended up going to A&E yesterday. I had my mum here because I didn’t want her sitting alone in the car park or even in the hospital as her vascular Parkinson’s makes her very anxious and restless. Anyway Dad had a good MOT - lots of X-rays (he feared his hip op had gone wrong) They were more concerned about his heart rate which was apparently racing/ hardly surprising!

Anyway he did get released, was dreading they’d admit him - no drugs issued there either! He’s so laid back he didn’t ask them for pain killers 🙄 Gawd knows how long it will take to get through to his GP on a Monday morning!!

Oh goodness, you have a lot going on.

Sorry to hear your dad’s had problems but glad they didn’t keep him in hospital.

Can you tell your son how much you’ll miss looking after your grandson? He might jump at the chance to take it in turns to have him on Tuesdays & have some precious time to himself to get jobs done. 😔

• Like 10

Just now, SarahHben said:

Oh goodness, you have a lot going on.

Sorry to hear your dad’s had problems but glad they didn’t keep him in hospital.

Can you tell your son how much you’ll miss looking after your grandson? He might jump at the chance to take it in turns to have him on Tuesdays & have some precious time to himself to get jobs done. 😔

He told me while Joshua was beside me so I immediately said ‘I’ll miss him’ and hugged him tight! I’m hoping something can be arranged like that as we don’t see them a lot at weekends as she has a big family and my son and husband work at weekends so it’s hard to fit in.

We’ll see….

• Like 4

Oh Sue - it never rains but it pours.

Just on the work issue - I don’t think it’s reasonable of your employers to expect you to transport a laptop like that.  I think you should speak to HR/Occupational Health about it.  
If they don’t/won’t help then I think you should look at either a good backpack or possibly a trolley/case.  Carrying it on your shoulder, that distance, will surely impact your back/shoulder/hip/knees?

It’s also risky for you just to be carrying it in the open.  There are nasty/desperate people out there

Oh, sorry, that sounds real doom and gloom.  I just thought it’s one issue you can have some say in

I hope you can get some grandson time worked out

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Don't be sorry for posting a long post because you have so much going on, it is often easier to share with people who are not close and so not affected by your problems.  We all need to get things off our chest from time to time.

Better times are ahead hopefully.  I hope that you get something sorted out about your grandson.  

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Don't be sorry for posting a long post because you have so much going on, it is often easier to share with people who are not close and so not affected by your problems.  We all need to get things off our chest from time to time.

Better times are ahead hopefully.  I hope that you get something sorted out about your grandson.  

+1.

• Like 1