P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Dermotsgirl - hope you will like Saga.  Best points are the door to door travel; pretty good food all included in several restaurants, with varying food styles; all drinks included, though the wines are all in the £6 a  bottle range and the spirits house ones. However, generously poured, and if you should like sherry they are really good ones.  I think these are the points where Saga is different from P and O - but obviously more expensive.  Oh, all cabins are outside with balconies.

Thank you. The door to door travel is very handy, as we sail from Tilbury and come back to Dover. According to the brochure, premium spirits are included in the drinks package from 2023. Not that I’m much of a spirit drinker, but I like a gin and tonic from time to time..

4 excursions are included including one to Tresco. We didn’t do that on our last call to the Scilly Isles in 2019, so will be pleased to get a chance to go to Tresco.  Also, we will call at Oban and Douglas IOM, both new to us. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Have you tried Tesco I bought a pack in our Tesco yesterday.

Tried Tesco yesterday, I couldn’t find them so I asked and was told they had stopped stocking them

Michelle 

9 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I recall my desk moving during a quake of that order, many moons ago.  Strange sensation

I like your smart kit SH - is it in response to the Britannia dress code thread?

Very showery day forecast here, so we’ll have to judge our walk time carefully.  I have Book Club this afternoon anyway.  Nothing more exciting than that happening, I’m afraid

It’s a Formal T-shirt, that I may use to replace my Dinner Suit which has found its way to the Red Cross Charity shop. 😬

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Well just been into St Annes to M & S food hall and it is busy!! Nightmare !!

The whole town just seems busy, I know it’s half term and it’s a tourist town, I think I have forgotten how busy it can get as it’s been quiet the last two summers.

I have been trying to get amaretti biscuits because i am going to make the Queens Jubilee Trifle and can’t seem to get any. I will have to try Amazon as a last resort I think

Michelle

We have some, they are going in the safe not putting them in any trifle! 

We use sponge fingers in trifle occasionally dipped in sherry or if we go exotic it might get dipped in some Disaronno Almond based Liquer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Tried Tesco yesterday, I couldn’t find them so I asked and was told they had stopped stocking them

Michelle 

Texco seem to have different things in different stores, we have a regular Tesco about 1 mile away and a Tesco Extra about 2 miles away and there are certain things that I buy in each of them that are not available in the other.

9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Texco seem to have different things in different stores, we have a regular Tesco about 1 mile away and a Tesco Extra about 2 miles away and there are certain things that I buy in each of them that are not available in the other.

Managed to get some in Asda last night. No excuses now not to make the trifle as I have got all the ingredients

Michelle

• Like 7

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok on this the first day of the Jubilee.

There is lots going on around here at various locations including a street party around where we live.

I am collecting four of our grandchildren this morning , they are all staying overnight tonight and going home teatime tomorrow. We have booked to go curling this afternoon, first time for us all so that should be good fun.

On Friday other two grandchildren and their parents arriving for two nights. A busy few days ahead for us.

Have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend everyone whatever you are doing 

Michelle

• Like 9

Morning hope everyone is ok :classic_smile:

Regarding the Jubilee, I always think of the royals slurping away on the weirdest

"ice pop"/drink known to be invented .. Jubbly . One sounds posh and the other

sounds like a bit northern . Those two words always remind me of each other .

As a kid I would buy one and frozen straight out of the freezer they were the 

most awkward thing you could ever handle ,or try to get into.

Do you remember them  ?  You could even buy them unfrozen just as a drink 

which most of the time would end up all over the place once opened .

Who came up with the idea of a slippery pyramid shape :classic_unsure: It was all on keeping 

hold of it but some how we managed . These were very popular back then .

Whichever your choice enjoy your Jubilee or if you can still get one your Jubbly 

and have a nice time :classic_love::classic_smile:

images.jpg.1e369e99e44c48413a260a12017442f6.jpgjubbly000.jpg.62c9b598dccfed44c8b86ff0067c58b7.jpg

Lovley Jubbly :classic_love:

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, kalos said:

Regarding the Jubilee, I always think of the royals slurping away on the weirdest

Who came up with the idea of a slippery pyramid shape :classic_unsure: It was all on keeping 

Whichever your choice enjoy your Jubilee or if you can still get one your Jubbly 

images.jpg.1e369e99e44c48413a260a12017442f6.jpgjubbly000.jpg.62c9b598dccfed44c8b86ff0067c58b7.jpg

Oh yes.  I remember them, 4d I think, and the aim was to buy them frozen and then to suck all the juice from them until you were left with an almost clear piece of tasteless ice.  Well, that's what we did in my part of the NW anyway 😃

• Like 9

Managed to get some in Asda last night. No excuses now not to make the trifle as I have got all the ingredients

Michelle

Part of my mission today is to try our local Asda and if not there, there is a Lidl at the other end of town followed by Marks.

• Like 1

Morning all, hope everyone is well.

Another mixed day by the look of it weather wise. The last couple of days we've had showers or rain to start, followed by sunny afternoon's. So will wait and see what today brings!

Meeting a friend this afternoon at the local garden centre for a coffee and a chat. Will be nice to meet up as we haven't done so for a while. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Oh yes.  I remember them, 4d I think, and the aim was to buy them frozen and then to suck all the juice from them until you were left with an almost clear piece of tasteless ice.  Well, that's what we did in my part of the NW anyway 😃

That’s my recollection too - 4d.  Which was, I think, 16 Blackjacks or Fruitella. Or 4 large gobstoppers. Jamboree Bags 3d.  

Dental charges as a result - astronomical!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I remember doing that too, why did we do that? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s my recollection too - 4d.  Which was, I think, 16 Blackjacks or Fruitella. Or 4 large gobstoppers. Jamboree Bags 3d.  

Also Fruit Salad.

Sherbert fountains were another of those nostalgic sweets.

• Like 5

Michelle

I'm going to try to make that trifle too. We are having a big family BBQ on Sunday, it's due to rain so we might be inside while my husband bbq's under a brolly 🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Also Fruit Salad.

Sherbert fountains were another of those nostalgic sweets.

I still buy sherbert fountains now, they don't quite the same as they used to though. Along with Tooty Frooties they were my favourites. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Our shop keeper Mr Moran was a cross between Open All Hours and  Auntie Wainwright ,

if you went in the shop with your pocket money ,he made sure you left without it .

I swear he could smell a penny in your pockets  :classic_smile:

For those who had hardly any money on them he would sell you four ice cubes for a penny 

in a paper sweetie bag .You had less than ten minutes before the bag turned to mush to

chomp away at your ice cubes . He even started selling us Mars Bars at a penny over retail

price which were frozen solid as a rock in the summer months. Better known to us as a 

filling remover :classic_ohmy: but very enjoyable at the time  .    Happy days :classic_unsure:

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I still buy sherbert fountains now, they don't quite the same as they used to though. Along with Tooty Frooties they were my favourites. 

Ah Sarah, you're a young 'un 😉.  Some of us on here go back to Spangles, Opal fruits and Fry's 5 Boys chocolate bars 😁

• Like 8

Ignore the first bit of my last post , I know the first day of the Jubilee is tomorrow not today!!!

It’s my age you know!!

Michelle

I know the feeling, I have to write everything on my calendar otherwise I  forget what I am supposed to do at what time on which day 🤣🤣

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Well just been into St Annes to M & S food hall and it is busy!! Nightmare !!

The whole town just seems busy, I know it’s half term and it’s a tourist town, I think I have forgotten how busy it can get as it’s been quiet the last two summers.

You crossed my mind last night when I was looking at May's Travel Which?  They did a survey of the UK's best seaside towns and villages and whilst Lytham St Annes doesn't make the top 10, (it's only just outside) it gets a mention under 'Other top highlights'.  Maybe more people are discovering the delights of the area.

The top 3, according to Which? are Bamburgh, Northumberland; Llandudno, Conwy and St Andrews, Fife.

At the bottom of the table are Southend on Sea, Bognor Regis and Skegness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

You can still buy them,  I keep them in our freezer for my niece's children when they visit.  They are much smaller than I remember them.

20220601_094541.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

You crossed my mind last night when I was looking at May's Travel Which?  They did a survey of the UK's best seaside towns and villages and whilst Lytham St Annes doesn't make the top 10, (it's only just outside) it gets a mention under 'Other top highlights'.  Maybe more people are discovering the delights of the area.

The top 3, according to Which? are Bamburgh, Northumberland; Llandudno, Conwy and St Andrews, Fife.

At the bottom of the table are Southend on Sea, Bognor Regis and Skegness.

Skegness was up in arms that it came bottom!  It’s still enormously popular, but very much not a resort for the typical Which? subscriber.

P&O Cruises also featured in Which? a few years back. It did not do well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1