P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Wowzz,   Google the Tawny Hotel in Staffordshire, just under 100

miles along A50.  It’s very different and very fabulous.

Terri

Thanks - will take a look.

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks for your thoughts.

We have decided to look for a luxury weekend to celebrate my birthday instead.

Any suggestions ?

Ideally no more than 100 miles from Lincoln.

I'm thinking Graham will know a few places !

Unfortunately I don’t know that part of the country! But I see you have suggestions coming through.

Just had an email from BA regarding our flight back from Athens next week.

"Here we go" I thought, expecting the flight to be cancelled. But no ! Change of aircraft to a 788 from a 320, so proper club class, with reclining seat. Unfortunately (?) we no longer have seats together, but I dare say Mrs W can live without my scintillating company for 4 hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Any suggestions ?

First one - bit beyond the 100 mile limit, but exceptional, in every possible way. Sell the car first, though, and use the £3000!

Second one much, much nearer, and nothing like as good, but in some ways quite similar - and rather cheaper.

Both serving excellent food, peaceful locations.  We’d always promised ourselves Le Manoir for our Golden Wedding earlier this year, but it didn’t quite work out and it was sausages and chips in the garden with the family!  Papa’s at Cleethorpes is still a goal.

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/uk/oxfordshire/belmond-le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons/

https://winteringhamfields.co.uk/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Any suggestions ?

Lots of lovely places in Yorkshire Wowzz.

York, Harrogate Leeds are the obvious but lots of nice places in the Yorkshire Dales.

The Lake District is a favourite of ours but a little further than your ideal 100 miles.

Lake District Hotels group is a good place to start.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lots of lovely places in Yorkshire Wowzz.

York, Harrogate Leeds are the obvious but lots of nice places in the Yorkshire Dales.

The Lake District is a favourite of ours but a little further than your ideal 100 miles.

Lake District Hotels group is a good place to start.

Thanks Graham - looks like a good place to start.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just had an email from BA regarding our flight back from Athens next week.

"Here we go" I thought, expecting the flight to be cancelled. But no ! Change of aircraft to a 788 from a 320, so proper club class, with reclining seat. Unfortunately (?) we no longer have seats together, but I dare say Mrs W can live without my scintillating company for 4 hours.

Club class on the 320 isn't worth it IMHO. Now the dream liner is a different matter. After our flight back from Lanzarote we decided that we won't fly club in BA short haul any more. Enjoy your 'proper' club flat bed. Is it a late flight. ?.

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

Club class on the 320 isn't worth it IMHO. Now the dream liner is a different matter. After our flight back from Lanzarote we decided that we won't fly club in BA short haul any more. Enjoy your 'proper' club flat bed. Is it a late flight. ?.

No, afternoon.

And I'm driving home afterwards, so can't even drink!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

First one - bit beyond the 100 mile limit, but exceptional, in every possible way. Sell the car first, though, and use the £3000!

Second one much, much nearer, and nothing like as good, but in some ways quite similar - and rather cheaper.

Both serving excellent food, peaceful locations.  We’d always promised ourselves Le Manoir for our Golden Wedding earlier this year, but it didn’t quite work out and it was sausages and chips in the garden with the family!  Papa’s at Cleethorpes is still a goal.

https://www.belmond.com/hotels/europe/uk/oxfordshire/belmond-le-manoir-aux-quat-saisons/

https://winteringhamfields.co.uk/

I bet the 1st one hasn't got a 4 in a bed plaque in the bog.

• Haha 4

Morning all, hope you are all ok. 

A busy day today for us, currently driving over to Bradford, going to see The Lion King this afternoon at the Alhambra Theatre. Out for a curry afterwards with friends then meeting old work friends for a drink before driving home again.

I am going to be tired tonight 

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 8

I have just made the mistake of answering the phone when I was busy and I have now landed myself with 2 extra bowling matches next week and some hassle.  I don't usually bowl on Mondays but one of the clubs that I bowl for called and asked if I was free on Monday evening to help them out so I agreed to play because it is at home and 2 - 3 minutes drive away. I have just looked at the league schedule and seen that I will be playing against for the club that I play for on Tuesday afternoon.  To make matters worse I already knew that we are playing against the Monday night team on Tuesday afternoon next week so I can see myself getting a lot of grief on both days 😥

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning all, hope you are all ok. 

A busy day today for us, currently driving over to Bradford, going to see The Lion King this afternoon at the Alhambra Theatre. Out for a curry afterwards with friends then meeting old work friends for a drink before driving home again.

I am going to be tired tonight 

Have a good day everyone 

Michelle

Enjoy the show and the curry and drinks.  I love meeting up with old friends and finding out how everyone is.

A nice sunny day for us down here. Makes a pleasant change after all the dull, overcast or misty days we've had recently and hardly a breeze either😄 

Enjoy your the show and your meal tonight Michelle. It is nice to meet up and catch up with friends, especially if you haven't seen them in a while.

Hope you don't get too much grief, Josy. 🤞

My daughter called in yesterday as was saying that her van had been broken into the night before and everything was strewn across the van. The only thing that they took was a tube of moisturiser🤨 We wondered if they were thinking that there were tools in there as her partner's truck was parked nest to it. It wasn't an isolated case either as a large area at the other end of the town have reported similar break ins! Hope they don't come this way!!

Plan to call in and see Mum this morning and get some baking done, but if the weather stays nice will probably just take my book out into the garden and make the most of the sunshine.

Have a good day everyone, whatever you have planned.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just looked at the league schedule and seen that I will be playing against for the club that I play for on Tuesday afternoon.  To make matters worse I already knew that we are playing against the Monday night team on Tuesday afternoon next week so I can see myself getting a lot of grief on both days 😥

Can you not phone them back with " Sorry ,cannot do ,I forgot hubby had arranged a night out 

that I had forgot about ":classic_unsure:

Hubby may complain and say "but that is not true "   where you can respond with ...

" Your right ,get yer coat on we're going out "   

Problem solved :classic_love:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, purplesea said:

A nice sunny day for us down here. Makes a pleasant change after all the dull, overcast or misty days we've had recently and hardly a breeze either😄 

Enjoy your the show and your meal tonight Michelle. It is nice to meet up and catch up with friends, especially if you haven't seen them in a while.

Hope you don't get too much grief, Josy. 🤞

My daughter called in yesterday as was saying that her van had been broken into the night before and everything was strewn across the van. The only thing that they took was a tube of moisturiser🤨 We wondered if they were thinking that there were tools in there as her partner's truck was parked nest to it. It wasn't an isolated case either as a large area at the other end of the town have reported similar break ins! Hope they don't come this way!!

Plan to call in and see Mum this morning and get some baking done, but if the weather stays nice will probably just take my book out into the garden and make the most of the sunshine.

Have a good day everyone, whatever you have planned.

Sorry to hear that your daughter has suffered at the hands of morons who couldn't be bothered to go into a shop for their moisturiser.  

We have lovely bright sunshine this morning but it is a bit too windy and cold to sit outside at the moment but we can hope that it warms up.  I put a load of washing out and it dried in the time that it took my second load to wash so I hope that it stays fine at least until the rest of my washing is dry.

Have a good day.

• Thanks 1

Weird things happening in this house think we have a poltergeist.

For the last couple of months a bottle of my wife’s perfume has moved close the edge of the shelf it’s on, we move it back only to find it is on the edge again. There are 4 bottles on shelf only one moves, very strange.

This morning I noticed the pictures on the wall down the stairs were all at an angle, as are 2 in the lounge. A pen I has mislaid 2 months ago mysteriously reappeared on my desk yesterday morning. 

I checked the BGS site for any earth tremors, nothing reported.

Perhaps we are getting visitors from the churchyard opposite. 👻👻👻👻

👻 

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Weird things happening in this house think we have a poltergeist.

For the last couple of months a bottle of my wife’s perfume has moved close the edge of the shelf it’s on, we move it back only to find it is on the edge again. There are 4 bottles on shelf only one moves, very strange.

This morning I noticed the pictures on the wall down the stairs were all at an angle, as are 2 in the lounge. A pen I has mislaid 2 months ago mysteriously reappeared on my desk yesterday morning. 

I checked the BGS site for any earth tremors, nothing reported.

Perhaps we are getting visitors from the churchyard opposite. 👻👻👻👻

I have a similar problem... I wake up in the morning to find that things are not as I remember them... often my specks can't be found, my watch is in odd places and the telly is still on mute... I put it down to the abandoned chateaux on the kitchen surface or even... the mysterious spirits from some ancient glen. 

Lovely day down here, had a good walk with the dog first thing, now she’s soaking up some sun outside. Dh & I are planning a picnic dinner so making some sausage rolls in a bit & we’ll pop in sainsburys for a few naughty bits. Off to a a caravan on the I O W week after next going to Compton Farm basic, but fabulous views & walks. Talking of 4 in a bed,  my cousin ran a b& b for a bit and featured on it, they would have won, but weirdly gave there fellow contestants in a canal boat b & b more than the ppn! 😬 Have a great day everyone.! 

I had a sighting once in the Red Bar on the Ventura 

it kept telling me "buy me a drink "

I told it to buy it's own but it said it couldn't as the Barman said ..

He does not serve spirits :classic_unsure::classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_wink:

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Doubt it. Used to live just round the corner from Cynthia Payne’s place in Streatham (sorry - St Reatham) though and that probably did. 10 in a bed. And all judges.

That was my area up to 1975,I missed all the fun.She took LVs,I can picture the judges and vicars saying,"don't cook dear,I'm popping out for lunch".

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That was my area up to 1975,I missed all the fun.She took LVs,I can picture the judges and vicars saying,"don't cook dear,I'm popping out for lunch".

It’s changed a lot since then.  M&S foods, with Aldi next to it, right by Streatham station, opposite where the old, rather scruffy Wallis supermarket used to be. I was paying £10.50 a week for a self contained two bed flat in Gleneagle Road - goodness only knows what that would cost now.

• Like 1

New boiler installed and working, immediately noticed how quiet it is compared to old one.

The engineer at our last service said we should look at replacing as parts for old boiler were get more difficult to obtain and better to plan a replacement rather than have to replace possibly in the depths of winter.

• Like 3