P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

It's a cool one this morning 6.c , not had to put the house heating on though .

Tomorrow is when the energy companies start messing about with the tariff's, so I've just took  the readings and paid them online .

Yesterday our car was one month off needing its MOT so got the garage to pick up and return . It passed no problems again ,no surprise as it's done less than 2k from last MOT. 

Next thing on my to do list is go and get our Covid booster jabs today .

Mrs K  is busy making up a pan of stew in the slow cooker for tonight ,something I am looking to later.

Whatever you're all getting up to, have a good day  😊

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It doesn’t seem right that one area can be so good and one so bad

Mrs k had a doctors practice back in 2018 that's around 1.5 miles away and I thought they were shocking ,she always had to wait around 2 week to get an appointment .

Once I recall calling to get a prescription on her behalf . I waited five minutes for two receptionists who were chatting and giggling before being asked to step forward . Once I told them what I had came for they said they will sort it in a while .Ten minutes passed and I was called back to be given the prescription that was sat in front of her all the time. Mrs K told me the doctors were not much better either. I managed to convince her to join my doctors that are 2 miles away .

My doctors 9 out of 10 times will see you the same day if you ring first thing or the day after if you ring later in the day. Strange how one practice in the same area is run so differently .

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

Tomorrow is when the energy companies start messing about with the tariff's, so I've just took  the readings and paid them online .

Our new electricty tariff starts on December 1st. The new tariff is around 45% more than we are currently paying, and is fixed for three years. Personally, I think that is a pretty good deal.

We may be overpaying by the 2025, but at least we will be able to afford to use our cooker this winter !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Our new electricty tariff starts on December 1st. The new tariff is around 45% more than we are currently paying, and is fixed for three years. Personally, I think that is a pretty good deal.

We may be overpaying by the 2025, but at least we will be able to afford to use our cooker this winter !

You have done well getting your energy fixed for 3 years , ours was only offering that I pay double what we are now for 12 months which I declined . Recent gas and electric bills were averaging out at less than £2 per day for us so if it were to double ,it would not be the end of the world for us but I do feel for those less fortunate than us .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

You have done well getting your energy fixed for 3 years , ours was only offering that I pay double what we are now for 12 months which I declined . Recent gas and electric bills were averaging out at less than £2 per day for us so if it were to double ,it would not be the end of the world for us but I do feel for those less fortunate than us .

To be fair, we have a communal electricity supply, so perhaps have a little more clout than an individual.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Our new electric tariff starts 7 th Nov should hear in the next week what it will go up to. We heat with oil so could be cold this winter, thank goodness for all those blankets my gran gave us that we always wondered what to do with, but never got rid of! 

I wonder what happened to the promised help for those who have to use oil?  Doubt now if we will get anything.

Does anyone else think the old phrase 'going to hell in a  handcart' seems somehow appropriate at present?

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I wonder what happened to the promised help for those who have to use oil?  Doubt now if we will get anything.

Does anyone else think the old phrase 'going to hell in a  handcart' seems somehow appropriate at present?

I absolutely agree with you.  I think the oil ‘help’ mentioned the other day was £100, which seems an extraordinarily small sum. Prices have dropped back a bit, I believe, but still way up on where they were. There seems to be an inability to understand that not everyone has access to mains gas.

• Like 3

Well, even £100 would be a slight help!  I hadn't heard about that.  Round here my present quote is 90.55 a litre, which I think has gone down a bit.  As soon as there is room in the tank I will order some, as it always goes up in the winter, of course.

I must admit to being rather depressed at present - with good reasons - but at least I can afford to eat and heat; it must be awful for those who really struggle as it looks like things generally will get worse, not better.  I do try to remember that many are a great deal worse off than myself - or most of us on here.  Keep up with the jokes and puns, please,  Kalos et al.  They help us all to keep sane and cheerful.

• Like 13

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Well, even £100 would be a slight help!  I hadn't heard about that.  Round here my present quote is 90.55 a litre, which I think has gone down a bit.  As soon as there is room in the tank I will order some, as it always goes up in the winter, of course.

I must admit to being rather depressed at present - with good reasons - but at least I can afford to eat and heat; it must be awful for those who really struggle as it looks like things generally will get worse, not better.  I do try to remember that many are a great deal worse off than myself - or most of us on here.  Keep up with the jokes and puns, please,  Kalos et al.  They help us all to keep sane and cheerful.

Sorry to hear that. But I suspect you might be amongst a majority feeling that way after recent events - young and old.  Things rarely turn out as bad as expected though - fingers crossed!

This refers to that £100, but I haven’t checked the source for confirmation:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62989499

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Mrs k had a doctors practice back in 2018 that's around 1.5 miles away and I thought they were shocking ,she always had to wait around 2 week to get an appointment .

Once I recall calling to get a prescription on her behalf . I waited five minutes for two receptionists who were chatting and giggling before being asked to step forward . Once I told them what I had came for they said they will sort it in a while .Ten minutes passed and I was called back to be given the prescription that was sat in front of her all the time. Mrs K told me the doctors were not much better either. I managed to convince her to join my doctors that are 2 miles away .

My doctors 9 out of 10 times will see you the same day if you ring first thing or the day after if you ring later in the day. Strange how one practice in the same area is run so differently .

Our Doctors are fine, it's getting to see them that is the problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Sorry to hear your feeling down and at a guess now being on your own aint much fun is it ? 

This page was put together for support and when your feeling down we ,the other posters are more than happy to try and lift your spirits up for you, or anyone else .

I know things are tough at the moment, I went to have an haircut Barbers and he said "Blimey Kalos not a lot left on top ,do  want it cut round back? No I replied "I'll stay here in where its warm like everyone else ."😉

I've even tried to have my car valued online ..they were more bothered about how much fuel was in the tank ! I just don't get the fuss as it still costs twenty quid for £20 worth of fuel:classic_unsure:

Lets keep smiling and remember .. If you wake up feeling down ,my advice is check the duvet as it could have split open !😊:classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 7
  • Haha 7

Sorry you’re a bit low, lincslady.  Hope it passes quickly.  The obviously changing season doesn’t help - not that there’s anything at all wrong with autumn itself, but putting the lights on earlier and earlier of an evening just rubs it in that summer is gone

Here’s the best I can manage for humour today.  Pretty weak but, hey ho08FE7C0B-5239-4EEF-81CB-FB040713CD3A.jpeg.2dd6703c05db80f45051e9086bd22441.jpeg 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Apparently according to that article oil hasn’t increased as much?? When we filled up last it had already doubled £100 won’t go far. 😡 I agree @lincslady depressed & worried. When dh & I first moved in together we had storage heaters that we could hardly afford, we used to put one one on in one room & swap over to the other one the next day & only use the immersion every other day boiling a kettle to wash & having a bath shower every other day ( no electric shower). Well between that, the damp & clearing out my late departed mother in laws filthy dusty wardrobe etc & trying to clean up the house for father in law, my asthma was not great from then on! Now we’ll be back to damp (It’s very damp in our valley) because we’ll have washing, less heating & what about the de humidifier? Thank goodness the kids are grown up, imagine having the worry of keeping the house warm for littles ones with chest problems! That’s without the worry of my elderly mum & my sister keeping warm with their various needs. Sorry went on a bit there, massive thanks to all of you keeping our chins up & laughter flowing! 

• Like 9

Thanks, everyone.  I must admit to getting SAD in the dark winter as well - I have heard about a special light  you can buy which makes a big difference - anyone know about this, as that could  help a lot, and if it did would certainly help me and others who tend to hate the dark mornings and evenings.

I have just read my electric meter and will send it to the dreaded E.ON.  They have been telling me my bill next year will probably be over £7,000!!  I wonder if this is just to scare an old woman who has so far refused to have a smart meter?  Until recently it was no more than £800 a year max.  I am not scared, however - tougher than that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Ours is already more than double yours and will double again from October. About £10 per day. Not the end of the world, but we may need to shut off one of the wings.😉

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thanks, everyone.  I must admit to getting SAD in the dark winter as well - I have heard about a special light  you can buy which makes a big difference - anyone know about this, as that could  help a lot, and if it did would certainly help me and others who tend to hate the dark mornings and evenings.

The SAD lights are reputed to really help - by the people who are fans, of course!  But seriously, I dislike the short winter days and, in the absence of winter cruising last year,  decided that I would get one if I found myself feeling low.  Happily, for me, that wasn’t the case, and I guess my daily dog walk gave me enough light.  Unhappily, for you, that means I can’t give a personal recommendation or experience.  
I think they come in from £50, up to over £100

When I was working I used a daylight alarm clock, which simulates dawn and let’s you come to gently, without a jangling bell.  That worked really well, except that the training has stayed with me and I wake stupidly early in summer.  That might help validate the power of light though.

If you get one, let us know how you get on.  If I get one, I’ll report back

(Is this where I should give a progress report on the cheapo air fryer, and say that we were very pleased with the roast potatoes? We’re as good as Which, aren’t we? 🤣)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I have just read my electric meter and will send it to the dreaded E.ON.  They have been telling me my bill next year will probably be over £7,000!!  I wonder if this is just to scare an old woman who has so far refused to have a smart meter?  Until recently it was no more than £800 a year max.  I am not scared, however - tougher than that.

You can buy the light boxes either as a unit that you sit next to you for about an hour a day or the one I have is an alarm clock. They are widely available in pharmacies.

For the alarm clock one set the alarm and the light comes up gradually over an hour like natural daybreak. 

I also find that St. John’s wort helps but you need to check that it does not affect any medications you take, as it can for some. Start taking it now and vitamin D, really makes a difference.

Should have added that St Johns Wort has a cumulative effect so it won’t work overnight.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My husband suffers from SAD, we have gradually changed all our light bulbs to day light rather than warm white, I can’t remember the kelvin but basically the higher the better, we also have led Xmas string lights to brighten up the place, our house is pretty dark & it really does help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our home has no gas and is fully electric, so only one bill, and at the moment we're averaging £4.50 a day. Come tomorrow who knows, but that's when the £60+ off the monthly bills kicks in so a little help for us there.

The central heating is solid fuel and is, for now, still £210 a ton 🤞 

I know how difficult it can be to try and find a positive side to things, especially since 2020, but somehow we do. We have this thread, which I find invaluable in keeping my spirits up, and when I''m at a low ebb or if I can't sleep. I log in and reread some past posts which helps take my mind off things. I often pop over to the 'let's smile' thread too and that also cheers me up.

We are much stronger than we realise, and if all else fails there's always....🥃🍷😉

Avril

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Our last day of vitamin d,just attempted to lay on the beach but got sandblasted with the high winds we get round here.Leave at 8 tomorrow first stop Orvieto 7 hrs then Como and finally Thionville France.

Have a safe journey home bro. Leave your thermals in easy reach, you'll need them😉

Sis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Here’s a little story to counter all the negative press currently being dished out to GPs by certain gutter newspapers.

My wife was bitten a few days ago by a False Widow spider. Her leg’s been very hot, itchy and increasingly puffy, and the usual treatments such as Hydrocortisone cream haven’t worked. 

Messaged our practice at 0815 this morning via AskMyGP, she had a phone call at 0845, and saw the GP at the surgery at 0945. Home by 1015 complete with necessary course of antibiotics, with the usual ‘Don’t hesitate to get back to me if that doesn’t sort it out.’

Don’t believe everything you read in newspapers that have an agenda to push. Getting on for half the GPs we have are saying they are considering retiring in the next 5 years and if anything like that happens the situation will be beyond critical. Not enough doctors want to go into general practice, and one of the reasons for that is the pressure of work and the constant abuse. Those newspapers are part of the problem.

Our surgery has been excellent throughout apart from a few weeks in the summer when a number of the staff went down with the thing that can’t be mentioned. I have my annual Blood Test appointment on Monday with practice phlebotomist which was arranged after practice pharmacist called me, then a week of self administered BP readings. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Our last day of vitamin d,just attempted to lay on the beach but got sandblasted with the high winds we get round here.Leave at 8 tomorrow first stop Orvieto 7 hrs then Como and finally Thionville France.

Hope you have a safe journey.

• Thanks 1