P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't  help thinking what  waste of resources, (time and financial ) if they are doing this for all appointments

To be fair, it would be more of a waste if people forgot their appointments. 

Just surprised that they don't use an automatic calling system, where you get a call and have to press "1" to confirm that you will be attending.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, it would be more of a waste if people forgot their appointments. 

Just surprised that they don't use an automatic calling system, where you get a call and have to press "1" to confirm that you will be attending.

Our surgery makes full use of automatic text messaging to remind about appointments and it works well and is not as intrusive as a phone call. We have had a couple of reminders about the flu jab appointment we have tonight. The appointment is with Dr. F Clinic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone, I hope that you are all well today.

Our house phone just rang ( a very inusual happening ), it was the doctor's surgery ringing to remind me that I have an appointment for a blood test this morning, they called me on Saturday morning to tell me that it is a year since I had a blood test and made the appointment.  I can't  help thinking what  waste of resources, (time and financial ) if they are doing this for all appointments, I could understand if I had a history of missed appointments but I  have never missed one.

We normally get auto text message reminders, maybe your mobile is not registered with them Josy?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We normally get auto text message reminders, maybe your mobile is not registered with them Josy?

My mobile is registered with them, my email is also registered and I got flu and Covid reminders on both mobile and house phone.  It just feels like they are inconsistent.

26 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just got a text message now reminding telling me who my 9:19 appointment is with,  I  think I will ask her about the system 🤔

I get reminders firstly on repeat prescription tab and then by text.

Earlier this year I had a text in block capitals saying my blood pressure tablets would not be issued if I did not have my annual blood test.
Aside from the block capitals which imo is shouting - I said I had tests done 6 months ago and doctor happy to continue with every 12 months. Oh they said - we don’t have time to read doctors notes…… 🙄

I do think a text reminder for appointments is an excellent idea tho.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I do think a text reminder for appointments is an excellent idea tho.

Same here and any reminder is better than non ,when you look how much the missed NHS 

appointments cost and stop others going in that vacant space.

No system will ever be perfect, only last week I booked my covid booster and got a text back 

with my booking reference. 24 hours later I got another text saying "We are taking bookings in 

your age group ,would you like to book your booster?" Not a big issue in the scheme of things,much better to be reminded than not at all .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone, I hope that you are all well today.

Our house phone just rang ( a very inusual happening ), it was the doctor's surgery ringing to remind me that I have an appointment for a blood test this morning, they called me on Saturday morning to tell me that it is a year since I had a blood test and made the appointment.  I can't  help thinking what  waste of resources, (time and financial ) if they are doing this for all appointments, I could understand if I had a history of missed appointments but I  have never missed one.

Think yourself lucky I am supposed to have an annual blood test and PSA test and haven't had a peep from my doctor's for over 3 years and think my last blood test was 4yrs ago. We only live approximately 5 miles from you so just shows it doesn't have to be different parts of the country to get different examples of how surgeries are being run.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We go away on Arcadia in 2 weeks time and my wife has been completing the necessary info into their system. She managed to print out her boarding pass but despite several attempts mine won’t print, has anyone else had similar problems?

If you have two christian names put in only one.

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

Our surgery makes full use of automatic text messaging to remind about appointments and it works well and is not as intrusive as a phone call. We have had a couple of reminders about the flu jab appointment we have tonight. The appointment is with Dr. F Clinic.

The text system informed me this morning, that due to staff illness, possibly to Dr F Clinic himself, that my appointment has been rescheduled for tomorrow. The text system clearly works.

51 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We go away on Arcadia in 2 weeks time and my wife has been completing the necessary info into their system. She managed to print out her boarding pass but despite several attempts mine won’t print, has anyone else had similar problems?

I had problems with luggage tags not printing.

I screenshot the tag and forwarded to my email address and printed them from the screenshot attachment.

Graham.

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We are on the same cruise, have just printed everything out OK.

Did not download photo because they normally end up doing it again at terminal.  Why not join our roll call under Arcadia J219.

Terri

59 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I had problems with luggage tags not printing.

I screenshot the tag and forwarded to my email address and printed them from the screenshot attachment.

Graham.

Our luggage tags and my wife’s boarding pass printed ok but not mine. I was thinking like you did screenshot forward and then print. 

• Like 1

We’ve just got back from having our flu jab done. I had to pay for mine as people in their 50s without underlying health conditions have to pay until October 15th, I was aware of this but wanted to get it done before our cruise in 2 weeks time.

Also due to my age I can’t book my covid booster yet so I’m going on the cruise with 10 month old protection.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, silkworms said:

We are on the same cruise, have just printed everything out OK.

Did not download photo because they normally end up doing it again at terminal.  Why not join our roll call under Arcadia J219.

Terri

I have joined the roll call and posted a few times. We originally booked this cruise 4 years ago to go 2 years ago then booked this on launch day 2 years ago. I haven’t been to the eastern med since 1978 on a school educational cruise on ship Uganda and it is the first time there for my wife.

It will be my 60th in October so we were hoping to book a speciality restaurant but my wife received an email today warning of potential staff shortages!

My wife has now managed to print my boarding pass, she did from her iPad rather than laptop. I misunderstood what she meant about it not printing, what was happening was that she would put my details in but when she went to print her details came up again, might have been a computer cookie issue or something that she was doing.

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I have joined the roll call and posted a few times. We originally booked this cruise 4 years ago to go 2 years ago then booked this on launch day 2 years ago. I haven’t been to the eastern med since 1978 on a school educational cruise on ship Uganda and it is the first time there for my wife.

It will be my 60th in October so we were hoping to book a speciality restaurant but my wife received an email today warning of potential staff shortages!

My wife has now managed to print my boarding pass, she did from her iPad rather than laptop. I misunderstood what she meant about it not printing, what was happening was that she would put my details in but when she went to print her details came up again, might have been a computer cookie issue or something that she was doing.

If this was luggage labels, then it now seems that it prints 2 labels at a time, one for each of you.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Think yourself lucky I am supposed to have an annual blood test and PSA test and haven't had a peep from my doctor's for over 3 years and think my last blood test was 4yrs ago. We only live approximately 5 miles from you so just shows it doesn't have to be different parts of the country to get different examples of how surgeries are being run.

I have an annual blood test because I have a liver problem that the doctor wants to keep under control. 

I am currently not on any mediation and hopefully by having regular checks and being careful what I eat and drink I can stay away from medication.  I have to say that our doctors are very good at keeping up with tests and reviews.

• Like 1

Two lighthearted things that are puzzling me.     Someone might have a comment on them or actually agree with me!!!!

1.  What is a bungalow????  We needed everything on one floor and joined various online websites. and then found they were sending us 'bungalows' with two or three bedrooms upstairs.  I can see why people extend upwards, but in my brain that would no longer be a bungalow.  

We did find what we wanted and love it here.. so good result in the end but lots of wasted time!😆

2.  Mr. Previous Owner built a lovely conservatory.. the weather has been ok the last year or so so we didn't get round to furnishing the lounge.  We have now ordered a couple of sofas from a well known firm and make (PK/KN).  We thought we would treat ourselves to something nice.   BUT delivery is 26 weeks minimum.  Does anyone know why furniture takes so long to deliver.  I know they don't want to have big storage problems but 26 weeks minimum seems ridiculous!   April at the very earliest.

Now my brain 'urts.. all this thinking.  I'm going off for a rest!!!🤣

I think they are made to your spec. - usually a choice of sizes and fabric choice, with often extra for hard or softer cushions, special fabric finishes etc. etc.  In the case of mine, it did take about 20 weeks, and  was made in Eastern Europe, as many of the less expensive ones are (though it was still nearly £1,000 from DFS.)  So it is sort of understandable, and I think even now there will be lots of people ordering sofas and chairs.

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Hope you have a fab cruise and that you get a special restsurant booked for your birthday.

Like you I haven’t been called for my Covid booster yet but I had my flu jab today.

Michelle 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Two lighthearted things that are puzzling me.     Someone might have a comment on them or actually agree with me!!!!

1.  What is a bungalow????  We needed everything on one floor and joined various online websites. and then found they were sending us 'bungalows' with two or three bedrooms upstairs.  I can see why people extend upwards, but in my brain that would no longer be a bungalow.  

We did find what we wanted and love it here.. so good result in the end but lots of wasted time!😆

2.  Mr. Previous Owner built a lovely conservatory.. the weather has been ok the last year or so so we didn't get round to furnishing the lounge.  We have now ordered a couple of sofas from a well known firm and make (PK/KN).  We thought we would treat ourselves to something nice.   BUT delivery is 26 weeks minimum.  Does anyone know why furniture takes so long to deliver.  I know they don't want to have big storage problems but 26 weeks minimum seems ridiculous!   April at the very earliest.

A bungalow with rooms in the roof space would be called a chalet bungalow but retains the sloping roof and the upstairs rooms will have dormer windows

Got back from our Azura two week cruise to the Eastern Med late Thursday. I have been busy since then preparing a family party for my Granddaughter who is home from Australia for 3 weeks. I am exhausted now but well worth it, we had a lovely day yesterday but feel like I need another cruise to recover.

We had a lovely cruise and met lots of nice people. It was nice to be back on Azura but, as others have said, she was a little tired in parts but nothing terrible. The staff were great, nothing was too much trouble, especially in the restaurants where the waiters would try to tailor meals to your requirements. Overall though, the food was a bit disappointing. One night I chose roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. I got a big chunk of dry beef and the YP was more like a dense cupcake. I was offered another choice but just didn’t fancy anything else on the menu. Lots of dishes seemed to be lacking in seasoning as well.

We enjoyed the quizzes and spent some happy hours on deck. Always plenty of sun beds away from the pools which suited us. The weather was mixed but overall OK. We had three excursions booked . Ajaccio was beautiful but the roads were very narrow. The coach driver obviously had a lot of experience and took it all in his stride. Split was disappointing, very built up with lots of 70s styled apartment blocks. Once we got away from the town however we had a couple of nice stops. Dubrovnik is lovely and we will be going back there next year for Ian’s 70th birthday.  We did some independent trips as well which were nice. 

We had a bit of a bad experience in the airport in Malta on our return journey. As usual the buses taking you to the plane were packed. Ian and I had seats at the front and people stood up in front of us near the driver. He suddenly braked really hard and everyone standing were thrown back. The lady in front of me was thrown over the knee high rail and hit the side of my face with her shoulder. She was really upset and kept apologising, even though it wasn’t her fault. My cheek is a little bruised but nothing terrible. 

We are on Iona next February and already looking forward to trying her.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Two good points you raise there!

Bungalows?  To me they were always single storey - except for the bizarrely named chalet bungalows, which had a bedroom or two in the roof line.  Then we started looking at bungalows in Yorkshire and found that the word 'bungalow' covered both - with the single storey version being called a 'true bungalow'.  I suspect that term might apply across the north of England - or maybe more widely?

Furniture?  Always irked us too - having to wait months for anything half decent to arrive.  The better brands always tended to have longish waiting lists, but it did avoid (for them) the risk of unsold stocks.  And maybe this:  https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/23/madecom-plans-to-cut-a-third-of-staff-as-it-seeks-buyer-or-investment

PK itself has an interesting history!   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker_Knoll)