P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I use as many raspberries as I can as I pick them. Raspberry and Elderflower flan is a particular family favourite, raspberry pavlova and raspberry shortcakes too. I've not made sorbet, but semifreddo and ice cream is lovely. I also like to make a layered fruit terrine too.  I don't mind having a lot of frozen raspberries, when I have room and the jam is much nicer when made with the frozen fruit.

Avril

So many raspberries last year that my niece told me to make "raspberry gin".  It was really easy, simply wash the raspberries, half fill kilner jars with them add a vanilla pod (my niece puts a little sugar in hers but I didn't bother because I don't like sweet drinks) fill up with gin (I used Tesco own brand) keep in a cool dark place for 2-3 weeks, shaking every few days.  When you are ready strain the contents of the kilner jars through muslin and pour into the original gin bottle(s), it tastes delicious.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

So many raspberries last year that my niece told me to make "raspberry gin".  It was really easy, simply wash the raspberries, half fill kilner jars with them add a vanilla pod (my niece puts a little sugar in hers but I didn't bother because I don't like sweet drinks) fill up with gin (I used Tesco own brand) keep in a cool dark place for 2-3 weeks, shaking every few days.  When you are ready strain the contents of the kilner jars through muslin and pour into the original gin bottle(s), it tastes delicious.

Wow. that sounds good. I wish I'd known that sooner before I'd frozen them. The autumn one's are still fruiting well though, so 🤞. Now to buy some gin. Thank you.

Avril

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Found it just now on Google ...

This is commonly called eel liquor sauce or simply liquor (the term liquor does not imply alcohol content in its original meaning), traditionally made using the water kept from the preparation of the stewed eels. However, many shops no longer use stewed eel water in their parsley liquor.

Sorry Avril ..:classic_smile:

I like eels as a cold dish but I have never tried the water. We live and learn.

I imagine the original tasted a bit like a fish soup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

There aren't as many pie and mash shops around as there were when I was a kid. I wonder why. A side of jellied eels ?. All food to encourage becoming a vegan.

These kind of foods are underrated in my opinion. I enjoy offal dishes, eat haggis regularly and have not found a fishy thing I did not enjoy yet.

I also enjoy a lot of veggie and vegan foods too. Variety is the spice of life.

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Found it just now on Google ...

This is commonly called eel liquor sauce or simply liquor (the term liquor does not imply alcohol content in its original meaning), traditionally made using the water kept from the preparation of the stewed eels. However, many shops no longer use stewed eel water in their parsley liquor.

Sorry Avril ..:classic_smile:

Oh, thanks Harry, you have just put me off...😊

Andy 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I like eels as a cold dish but I have never tried the water. We live and learn.

I imagine the original tasted a bit like a fish soup.

I can categorically say, there is no fish flavour to the liqueur I was brought up on, or what I had today. 

Andy 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 3:39 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m also from Kent and have liked Liverpool since the Kevin Keegan years! 

I was just getting into football as Keegan left and King Kenny took over, he still is my absolute favourite! As for Keegan I was at Bluewater a year or two ago and there he was in W H Smith signing books!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, indiana123 said:

My OH has a friend whose girlfriend hugs and kisses everyone, even after their first meeting.  In town we have told her not to hug us, and so have others.  We were in a hotel having our first post lockdown drink when she ran to us and grabbed us.  My OH is a kind and patient man but he had to raise his voice.  I tried to politely to explain to her but she couldn't grasp the danger and trouble the Country was in.

Anyway, we have just heard the worst thing... when she goes out, which is every day to eat,  she borrows a lanyard that announces she has COPD and doesn't wear a mask.   She's as fit as a fiddle and thinks it's quite funny.  Its a danger to us all, and an insult to those with COPD, myself included,  although mildly.

That is terrible and it’s that sort of person who is spreading the virus ....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

Our 19th wedding anniversary today & the weather is just as good as it was on this day back in 2001. We usually have a meal out but we're still keeping ourselves to ourselves for the most part and money is tight anyway so it's a McDonalds drive through breakfast to celebrate (and before anyone comments it was Michelle's choice).

IMG_1167.JPG

Happy anniversary to you both 🍾🍾 September is a good month to get married 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Remember this sort of money waster on Walton Pier?

s-l1600.jpg

I tended to prefer the ones with cash prizes!. 

My favourite though, was the horse racing game, where you and the other competitors rolled balls up a slope and they fell into various holes,  and depending on the value of the hole, your "horse"  would surge ahead.

Simple pleasures!

• Haha 1

So much news again to catch up on and I only missed a day! 
Beautiful sunny day here too in sunny Kent. After I finished work at 1pm John and I went for a walk at a local park (Capstone for the locals!) It was really lovely. Making the most of it as the weather is turning tomorrow...

BB505073-5168-4245-A5B2-B123A088BD50.jpeg

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I was just getting into football as Keegan left and King Kenny took over, he still is my absolute favourite! As for Keegan I was at Bluewater a year or two ago and there he was in W H Smith signing books!

My teenaged self would have been first in the queue! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Beautiful sunny day here too in sunny Kent. After I finished work at 1pm John and I went for a walk at a local park (Capstone for the locals!) It was really lovely. Making the most of it as the weather is turning tomorrow...

We were there last week.

9FE8348C-3DC5-4A3C-9474-6D680F4F6764.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Lovely park.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I tended to prefer the ones with cash prizes!. 

My favourite though, was the horse racing game, where you and the other competitors rolled balls up a slope and they fell into various holes,  and depending on the value of the hole, your "horse"  would surge ahead.

Simple pleasures!

They have it with camels here now... 

Andy 

46 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Southwold is famous for its beach huts. One is called  Jabba, what a great name!

We are going to try to pop to Southwold on Thursday. 

We go up to Norfolk to visit my brothers grave and travel back down the coast. 

I will look out for Jabba... 

Andy