P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Good morning. It's grey but clearing here and hopefully we expect intermittent sun at lunch time.  I was up at 4.00am so as there's no one to disturb I did my last two loads of washing which have been happily blowing on the line since 6.15am.

Trying to get my act in order today with the beautician at noon for a couple of hours.  Thankfully the cleaner is coming in tomorrow so when my husband gets back from his Yorkshire travels tomorrow night he'll have no clue of the mayhem I've been creating.

Despite the very best efforts I still have two full suitcases and a carry on bag together with my small backpack.  A last day before leaving scan of the weather websites this morning is showing various levels of rain or showers through next week - our first port is on bank holiday Monday in South Queensferry which looks warmish but with showers.  The only real threat of proper rain is for Inverness and the second week looks relatively good.  Hopefully the dry 21 degrees for Liverpool is going to be correct.  

Just took the opportunity to pay our final balance for our Aurora Scandinavian August cruise whic is due on the 28th.  I hope and pray that the weather for that one doesn't lead to more packing nightmares and sleepless nights!

Have a good day everyone whatever you have planned.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I was looking for a new French motoring atlas for our forthcoming trip to France, our current one is from 2018 and knowing how quick new roads are built in France, thought we better get a new one.

Looking at the reviews for a couple I came across one which said 

“I wouldn’t buy this atlas too much green and not enough roads”

A review of the Michelin Atlas, probably the best atlas you can buy for France. 

We use the inbuilt satnav in the car but my OH likes to follow the route in atlas, an will suggest stop off places in advance.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Morning looks dry outside so I suppose that's a good start.

Looking out most of Mrs K's garden plants are all coming into bloom now .

I'm not good with gardening but last year when cutting our fuchsia back  

I got a couple of cuttings ,poked a hole in the ground and left them .

This year they have grown,which will make our local Bee's that visit

our garden very happy once they flower.

Hope you all have a great day and to all of you packing ,have a great 

time away -- Take care everyone.🙂

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

+ 1 (well, not the clip round the ear 😉).

Macaroni pudding made by my mum was my favourite too!  I’ve never managed to make it taste the same; I suspect it was the sterilised milk she used, which I don’t think you can get now?  I’ve tried long-life milk as well as full-fat regular milk but it’s not the same. As you sorted me out with my custard tart, do you have any tips for a macaroni pudding 🤞

Yes I have. Mix together one large tin of Carnation evaporated milk with one to one and half pints of milk, and make your milk pudding as normal. You can use any milk, but whole milk is much better. It's not exactly the same, but as close as you're going to get and very nice it is too😋

How did the custard tart turn out?

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

I was looking for a new French motoring atlas for our forthcoming trip to France, our current one is from 2018 and knowing how quick new roads are built in France, thought we better get a new one.

Looking at the reviews for a couple I came across one which said 

“I wouldn’t buy this atlas too much green and not enough roads”

A review of the Michelin Atlas, probably the best atlas you can buy for France. 

We use the inbuilt satnav in the car but my OH likes to follow the route in atlas, an will suggest stop off places in advance.

Being Michelin pensioner I need as many people as possible to keep buying Michelin maps, atlases and tyres, I had  Michelin satnav before they were standard in equipment in cars. 

I remember a Michelin maps and guides manager telling me that they once had a complaint because the France guide didn't warn people that people in France didn't always speak English.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning looks dry outside so I suppose that's a good start.

Looking out most of Mrs K's garden plants are all coming into bloom now .

I'm not good with gardening but last year when cutting our fuchsia back  

I got a couple of cuttings ,poked a hole in the ground and left them .

This year they have grown,which will make our local Bee's that visit

our garden very happy once they flower.

Hope you all have a great day and to all of you packing ,have a great 

time away -- Take care everyone.🙂

My late dad was a keen gardener and he would dip a cutting in rooting powder and plant it in the ground.

• Like 4

My very old-fashioned mother-in-law once asked me if the French spoke French all the time,  wondering how we got on when we used to go there frequently on holiday.  That  is admittedly many years ago, and she was over 70 at the time.  I did gently remind her that my DH had School Certificate French, and I had A level.  To be fair, she had not been further 'abroad' than the Isle of Man.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

😋How did the custard tart turn out?

Avril

The best custard tart I have ever made!  You are obviously ‘my’ Mary Berry 😉 and a tin of Carnation evap is now on next week’s Tesco list.  Thank you 😇

• Like 1

All this talk of food is making me hungry!

I’m playing my own personal game of ready, steady, cook this week. We are off on our travels next week so using up what’s left. Its not so much what OH wants to eat but what I can “create” from what’s left in the fridges. 

I have come up with some good recipes over the years by bunging together what’s left. I discovered roasted cauliflower, fennel and lentil soup as a result of having to use up a whole cauliflower and it’s delicious. Tonight it’s a Mediterranean beef stew as I had olives, red peppers and sun dried tomatoes to use up.

Does anyone else do this before they go away? I hate food waste.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

The best custard tart I have ever made!  You are obviously ‘my’ Mary Berry 😉 and a tin of Carnation evap is now on next week’s Tesco list.  Thank you 😇

All thanks to my lovely Gran. The tips and tricks she began teaching me 65 years ago I still use today. 

Avril

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Being Michelin pensioner I need as many people as possible to keep buying Michelin maps, atlases and tyres, I had  Michelin satnav before they were standard in equipment in cars. 

I remember a Michelin maps and guides manager telling me that they once had a complaint because the France guide didn't warn people that people in France didn't always speak English.  

We have the Michelin Guides to Brittany and Normandy, we find them very useful much better than any other guides we have seem. I also use the Via Michelin website to plan route in France, gives details of Toll charges, we have a Tag, so no scrabbling around for change on arrival at toll booth as we did when we first went, our friends in Brittany advised us to get one makes it much easier. 

43 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My very old-fashioned mother-in-law once asked me if the French spoke French all the time,  wondering how we got on when we used to go there frequently on holiday.  That  is admittedly many years ago, and she was over 70 at the time.  I did gently remind her that my DH had School Certificate French, and I had A level.  To be fair, she had not been further 'abroad' than the Isle of Man.

We often start of speaking French to someone, only to find they reply in English so they can practice, very annoying when we are trying to practice our French. Same has happened to me in Spain when I was trying to practice my Spanish prior to my aborted job move to Malaga. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m playing my own personal game of ready, steady, cook this week. We are off on our travels next week so using up what’s left. Its not so much what OH wants to eat but what I can “create” from what’s left in the fridges. 

I have come up with some good recipes over the years by bunging together what’s left. I discovered roasted cauliflower, fennel and lentil soup as a result of having to use up a whole cauliflower and it’s delicious. Tonight it’s a Mediterranean beef stew as I had olives, red peppers and sun dried tomatoes to use up.

We do it all the time, any vegetables that are not quite at their best get turned into soup. My OH is a dab hand at conjuring up a meal from various ingredients in the fridge to use them up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes we have been known to have things like fish finger sandwiches just to use

up the salad box and the bread .

Even cereals or porridge to finish off the milk at any time of day .

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I try do that too, but I'm not so adventurous. I will however freeze as much as I can, blanch and freeze vegetables or make up meals that I can freeze. 

Avril

• Like 4

It’s cloudy, but here today, the wind seems to have picked up a bit. I’ve been tidying the garden & planting up some of the pots before I go on my road trip with my mum & 2 sisters tomorrow. Off to Scotland & @Megabear2 I feel your pain regarding packing! I’m trying to take a fairly small wheeled case as I’ve got to change trains at Exeter for Westbury where I meet my sister. Things have gone in & come out & more added, jeans, jumpers, waterproof, wash bag, ton of meds etc 😫. That’s without the decision of which water bottle to put in my backpack & do I just use my phone or take the compact? Far worse than packing for a med cruise. 

• Like 5

For those who live in Southampton is congestion near to St Mary’s Stadium (Take That concert next weekend) likely to cause congestion further back up the motorway to any extent?

I ask because popular shows at the SEEC or Hydro do cause congestion in Glasgow and I wondered if / how bad any traffic issues are likely to be. Thanks

@kalos

I've been looking at some hotels in Madeira and Malta which are Frank's choices. I thought if I let him choose where he would love to go it would be better.

As you seem to enjoy Madeira I wondered if you could give me any ideas as to good hotels in Funchal, if that's where you stayed of course.

Avril

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

@kalos

I've been looking at some hotels in Madeira and Malta which are Frank's choices. I thought if I let him choose where he would love to go it would be better.

As you seem to enjoy Madeira I wondered if you could give me any ideas as to good hotels in Funchal, if that's where you stayed of course.

Avril

Kalos will no doubt have some good ideas, we have also stayed in several times in Madeira.

Most of the hotels in Funchal are up on the Avenue Moumental which is up a very steep hill. There are regular local buses into / back from town and you can purchase a giro card from the bus station which takes the price of the journeys right down. We usually walk along the promenade and down the hill via the gardens into town, then get a bus back up it.

There are a couple of hotels in the town centre but they are somewhat quirky. There is the CR7 which is right opposite the port and a flat walk to town but it doesn’t have balcony’s. The Vine is in the centre as well but very modern and no proper balcony. Two along by the funicular are the Quinta bela Sao tira and the porta Santa Maria. I have not stayed in them but they are a handy location, perhaps someone else has stayed there (both have nie front facing rooms but also noisy side and back facing so an upgrade would be essential).

We have stayed in the 

Enotel Lido - it’s about a 20 minute walk into Funchal but has a bus stop close to the hotel with regular buses. This is a nice all inclusive hotel with lovely rooms and decent food. The main restaurant is a buffet but they also provide table service at a Portuguese, Italian and Tepenyaki.  The standard side sea view rooms look out over the side to the sea over a car park so you would need to get a sea and pool facing room or upgrade to a suite (which is lovely). The hotel is down on the lido so you can go out the back gate for a stool of an evening.

Royal Savoy - we enjoyed this hotel as well, beautiful gardens and closer to the town centre. They offer al La carte dining and also some speciality nights, we had dinner and Fado one night for example. If you book a junior / suite the room has a small kitchen for nights when you just want to chill with cheese and wine and admire the lovely view or a light lunch on the balcony

Vida Mar - again near a bus stop. The higher floor rooms in this hotel have amazing views and are very well appointed. There is also a nice spa. Food is buffet service and more basic than the accommodation,  it you won’t starve. They also offer and Italian and Portuguese option included.

There is so much to see in Funchal, great choice for a holiday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

As kids Carnation was our cream, we had custard on hot puddings and Carnation on cold. If we don't go out for coffee and cake I have chocolate cake with carnation on for lunch. We have converted several of our friends who would never have thought to use carnation on sweets. I have always used it for any milk puddings or when making ice cream, I find it much tastier than cream. They also do a carnation caramel in a tin which is scrumptious and compliments many puddings, especially banoffee pie and fruit flan.

We had a great evening out yesterday and a cracking ruby, the rain wasn't as bad as forecast so hardly got wet. It is dull and quite cool today so a stopping in day for us.

I keep saying I am going to stop booking cruises but just can't help myself😁. Managed to book a B2B on Sky Princess for Mrs YP's birthday in May/June 2026, added bonus of £1 deposit so no great shakes if it goes down and we have to rebook.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Not just if we are going away. I decide what I am making every day by what is open. Even cheap things. I have ragu in the oven at the moment because I had celery left from steak and mushroom pie filling I made last week. I have also added the remainder to my sausage tray bake

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, happy v said:

Not just if we are going away. I decide what I am making every day by what is open. Even cheap things. I have ragu in the oven at the moment because I had celery left from steak and mushroom pie filling I made last week. I have also added the remainder to my sausage tray bake

To save on waste and keep costs down I plan a weekly menu and order only what I need. It's easier doing the shop online because I'm not tempted when walking around the supermarket.😁

Avril

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

@kalos

Avril

We have used the same hotel (will put map below) it is on a steep hill but not too far up.

I would stop 2 or 3 times going up or grab a taxi due to having same issues as Frank .

The hotel that @Eglesbrech mentions (Savoy) is across the road  and a bridge

also links over to the Palace hotel .

We love the NEXT hotel and will use it again . It suits our needs .

https://www.google.com/maps/place/NEXT+Hotel/@32.6423961,-16.9206798,17z/data=!4m9!3m8!1s0xc605ffb8bea55d1:0x78699f0b99fe5251!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d32.6423961!4d-16.9193923!16s%2Fg%2F1tgdvczc?entry=ttu

A little word of warning for Frank , the weather can change very fast ,nice and hot

in the town and very damp and chilly up in them there hills.

This goes for the airport too, one minute a calm breeze then a stiff breeze that 

makes landing a little tricky or if it gets too bad diverted to another island.

This can change by the hour ,some aircraft my just circle until it abates .

This was earlier this week   https://youtu.be/XlJImX0f1Qo?si=CXGB6_Az_nXn-vyy

Not put to scare but to show some landings are not easy .

Should you choose this hotel ,hope you enjoy it as much as we do 🙂

20240516_153736.thumb.jpg.b2acae5656b75424aa9046baa85a6d12.jpg20240519_202335.thumb.jpg.0d5d63363f8ebce3f319085d9989a473.jpg20240516_153804.thumb.jpg.701f27837d69ff64438f5dab5f51abd8.jpg

Town centres good for a singalong 😀

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

To save on waste and keep costs down I plan a weekly menu and order only what I need. It's easier doing the shop online because I'm not tempted when walking around the supermarket.😁

Avril

I shop monthly so never know what I am making daily. Apart from the end of the month. Where the no. of ingredients match the no. of days left🙂.

I love food shopping. Even abroad I would rather go in a supermarket than a tat shop

• Like 2