P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It is a worry when some of our regulars disappear.

I got Pauline to join CC plus I email a couple of American friends who are on CC who would post if anything happened to me.

We have both been a bit poorly today and lay on the bed watching TV all day.

We hope you both get well  very soon a breakfast wrap at the beach may help.

Best wishes, Gail & John🙏

Edited by zap99
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We booked another cruise this afternoon, it's a long way off Sept/Oct 2026 but it will be DW big special birthday at that time. We were a bit surprised at the price of the one way flight out to Rome £390 from Manchester (£300 from London) which was added to the overall cruise cost. We could have organised our own flights and saved money (we have done it on long haul cruise flights before) but we just wanted to get it done this time with the cruise line.

You cannot book a flight more than 11 months in advance,so a 3rd party is hedging their bets and charging "profitable" rates.Easy jet or Ryanair for me.

• Like 2

Morning ,Mr Blue Sky is living here today ,very bright morning .

Hope all those who were feeling not too good are better today .

@Snow Hill Nice result but it could have been worse , if you had

said "upon delivery ,hide behind garage ,you could have ended up

with the driver there for hours but at least found your parcels on 

your door step .😉

You were lucky ,we had the postie drop ours in a dustbin on the

wrong street !!    All we got was a guy phone to say sorry .

All take care 🙂

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brian1 said:

You cannot book a flight more than 11 months in advance,so a 3rd party is hedging their bets and charging "profitable" rates.Easy jet or Ryanair for me.

I agree, but if you do that and there's a delay or worse still, a cancellation then it's on your own head to arrange to get to the next port of call.  Okay if the ship is sailing from Barcelona and the next port is Alicante, but not so easy if it's a distant destination.  I'm a worrier and 'what if ....?' would be my mantra 😉

Living in the North West these days (we lived in Hertfordshire for 18 years) if we opt for a flight from Manchester airport with cruise companies or (in our case) Viking river cruises, you are offered flights with the traditional carriers via CDG, FRA or AMS hubs, which generally means the first flight at around 6 am, which wipes me out for the first day.  So we also opt to take ourselves on easyJet or Ryanair the day before, but for my peace of mind, that involves an overnight stay at additional expense. So it can be swings and roundabouts IMO cost wise. 

By the way, I'm going to miss your journeys to and from Italy; it was as enjoyable for me a 'live' cruise report.  We have travelled extensively though the countries you travelled through.  This year we have a road trip to some favourite places in Germany planned, and next year we are considering hiring a motorhome to tour Switzerland 🤞.

Enjoy your upcoming river cruise; it sounds good.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I agree, but if you do that and there's a delay or worse still, a cancellation then it's on your own head to arrange to get to the next port of call.  Okay if the ship is sailing from Barcelona and the next port is Alicante, but not so easy if it's a distant destination.  I'm a worrier and 'what if ....?' would be my mantra 😉

Living in the North West these days (we lived in Hertfordshire for 18 years) if we opt for a flight from Manchester airport with cruise companies or (in our case) Viking river cruises, you are offered flights with the traditional carriers via CDG, FRA or AMS hubs, which generally means the first flight at around 6 am, which wipes me out for the first day.  So we also opt to take ourselves on easyJet or Ryanair the day before, but for my peace of mind, that involves an overnight stay at additional expense. So it can be swings and roundabouts IMO cost wise. 

By the way, I'm going to miss your journeys to and from Italy; it was as enjoyable for me a 'live' cruise report.  We have travelled extensively though the countries you travelled through.  This year we have a road trip to some favourite places in Germany planned, and next year we are considering hiring a motorhome to tour Switzerland 🤞.

Enjoy your upcoming river cruise; it sounds good.

Thanks Mrs G,a stay at the airport PI is just another extra day of our holiday although tomorrow at LGW might be a bit busy.I've posted this b4 but the closest fly/cruise connection for us was a Princess organised LHR to Auckland via Hong Kong landing on time 6 hrs b4 sailaway,lol.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

I always look for a good deal and it did ‘pain’ me to pay such a high price for a simple one way flight (and transfer from Rome to the port), but in this instance being such an important cruise for my wife’s special celebration cruise we opted just to keep it simple and safe and just pay up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

@grapau27   Hope your feeling better in your household today 

I saw this and thought of you 😆 Take care buddy 🙂

df396fe2ffef3eeb4b5334d14eb0c587.jpg.755aab7ded1b3bf5fe4c847520440523.jpg

Thank you Kalos.

Pauline has been coughing all night and just took another test.

It is sunny and 14°C here.

I hope everyone is feeling well and you all have a wonderful bank holiday weekend.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thanks Mrs G,a stay at the airport PI is just another extra day of our holiday although tomorrow at LGW might be a bit busy.I've posted this b4 but the closest fly/cruise connection for us was a Princess organised LHR to Auckland via Hong Kong landing on time 6 hrs b4 sailaway,lol.Cheers,Brian.

Our closest was boarding Queen Elizabeth only about 1 1/2 hours before departure in Tokyo from a Cunard organised flight for a Japan and Alaska cruise in 2019. Cruise check in was empty because most others were already onboard, embarkation was really quick though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I always look for a good deal and it did ‘pain’ me to pay such a high price for a simple one way flight (and transfer from Rome to the port), but in this instance being such an important cruise for my wife’s special celebration cruise we opted just to keep it simple and safe and just pay up. 

Perhaps with luggage,transfer and being 2 years away,it may be a good deal,good luck,Brian.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Our closest was boarding Queen Elizabeth only about 1 1/2 hours before departure in Tokyo from a Cunard organised flight for a Japan and Alaska cruise in 2019. Cruise check in was empty because most others were already onboard, embarkation was really quick though.

Blimey,that is tight.Our next port was only 200 miles along the road.TBH I think the cruise lines just stick people on planes without doing homework like us and hope for the best.I wouldn't do it again and have always had extra days in long haul departure ports since,cheers,Brian.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, brian1 said:

😱 Ah but if arranged by Princess at least you had the assurance that missing the flight would be their problem and not yours!  BTW, I smiled at the 'Mrs G' bit, because I am actually a Mrs G and that's what the kids often called me when I was a teacher.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Kalos.

Pauline has been coughing all night and just took another test.

It is sunny and 14°C here.

I hope everyone is feeling well and you all have a wonderful bank holiday weekend.

Here's hoping for improvement for you both today so that you can enjoy the decent weather in your lovely garden, with maybe a meal out over the weekend ...... I believe it has been known to happen 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

😱 Ah but if arranged by Princess at least you had the assurance that missing the flight would be their problem and not yours!  BTW, I smiled at the 'Mrs G' bit, because I am actually a Mrs G and that's what the kids often called me when I was a teacher.

LOL,I'm just a lazy typer.That was my point,it was a good gamble on their side with the next port being just up the road.All the others have also been cruise organised but we just paid for extra nights b4,Brian.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Morning ,Mr Blue Sky is living here today ,very bright morning .

Hope all those who were feeling not too good are better today .

@Snow Hill Nice result but it could have been worse , if you had

said "upon delivery ,hide behind garage ,you could have ended up

with the driver there for hours but at least found your parcels on 

your door step .😉

You were lucky ,we had the postie drop ours in a dustbin on the

wrong street !!    All we got was a guy phone to say sorry .

All take care 🙂

Doubt he would have the intelligence to find the garage, as access is from a side street. He came again yesterday with another parcel that was ordered same time as the previous ones and did exactly the same. Again the door camera caught him dropping and running off without ringing the bell. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Doubt he would have the intelligence to find the garage, as access is from a side street. He came again yesterday with another parcel that was ordered same time as the previous ones and did exactly the same. Again the door camera caught him dropping and running off without ringing the bell. 

They must be paid peanuts for each drop.Round our way they park up in the main rd with all 4 wheels on the pavement,dashing across the road to drop off.They take a big chance with all the cameras around now.

• Like 5

On 5/22/2024 at 1:09 PM, Megabear2 said:

Oh happy day!  I've just had an email from Cunard to tell me the icing just went on my cake BIG time!!!!  

"We are thrilled to announce the world-renowned Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli will be performing. The maestro will be joined by legendary Liverpudlian TV personality and DJ, Craig Charles who will be teaming up with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra for a unique collaboration. Craig will keep the party going until the grand finale, when Queen Anne sails away as light falls."

Can't contain the excitement now, my 80's hero Midge Ure on board and now my ultimate present in Andre Bocelli.  

What a result! We saw Midge Ure at Let's Rock Leeds a while back and he was excellent. Bocelli will be amazing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Security cameras are not as good as in the old days 🙃🙂

3c6671c46ccdb07bde334d9658dd872b.jpg.2aa98da70c12e572bf61d8d59a931b21.jpg

• Haha 16

Hello sunshine lovers.  Here in the North Sea there's no hint of a ray or two!  At noon we were 29 miles off Great Yarmouth.  It is grey, misty with drizzle and 13 degrees ...

Had a good morning at Insight Lecture with the highly talented Mr Ure and port presentations for Belfast and Glasgow. 

These presentations are the one thing I wish P&O would offer more of, it's really nice to get an insight to what we will fund on disembarking along the way.

We are having a CCF get together at 2.00pm, looking forward to putting some names to faces hopefully including Selbourne and Lady S.

For now the pub calls me for a Peroni and a ploughmans.

Hope everything feeling better today.  Take care everyone.

• Like 12

Had a morning in the garden today. I took this photo of the joint fence with next door.

It’s a sad time for us. The adjoining house has been sold after both Audrey and Peter died over the past two years. Peter died in November and Audrey the previous year. Their family live quite a way away and as a result we have been very happy to help Peter where we could, doing shopping weekly and doing odd jobs he couldn’t manage. He and Ian became close with Ian checking on him every day. Ian has incredible hearing and on a number of occasions he heard Peter calling for help through the wall. The last time was when he was taken into hospital and died a couple of days later.

I was quite close to Audrey and we spent hours in the garden discussing plants. The reason I took the photo today was because some of the bushes are on my side and some on Audrey’s.  The new buyers will have their views on what to keep and what to get rid off and it will be the end of an era.

IMG_0296.jpeg

• Like 18

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Security cameras are not as good as in the old days 🙃🙂

3c6671c46ccdb07bde334d9658dd872b.jpg.2aa98da70c12e572bf61d8d59a931b21.jpg

Well that's a big shock😲.

If I'd known I was going to have my photo taken I'd have had my hair done.😕

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 19

35 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Had a morning in the garden today. I took this photo of the joint fence with next door.

It’s a sad time for us. The adjoining house has been sold after both Audrey and Peter died over the past two years. Peter died in November and Audrey the previous year. Their family live quite a way away and as a result we have been very happy to help Peter where we could, doing shopping weekly and doing odd jobs he couldn’t manage. He and Ian became close with Ian checking on him every day. Ian has incredible hearing and on a number of occasions he heard Peter calling for help through the wall. The last time was when he was taken into hospital and died a couple of days later.

I was quite close to Audrey and we spent hours in the garden discussing plants. The reason I took the photo today was because some of the bushes are on my side and some on Audrey’s.  The new buyers will have their views on what to keep and what to get rid off and it will be the end of an era.

IMG_0296.jpeg

Such a lovely garden and memories of what was two lovely neighbours ,who you 

had the privilege of knowing each other.

As for your new neighbours they maybe just as lovely ,another chapter that 

could hold good times ahead  for all . Take care .

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

IMG_0296.jpeg

Such a lovely garden Jennizor. The shrubs look beautiful, so maybe they will keep them.

I understand how you must be feeling as Rose, our neighbour of  45 years, died last May and we had new neighbours move in 4 months ago. It feels very strange now, as though we've lost a part of our life. 

Avril

• Like 8

Hallo again,  been up the ffjords on Ambassador's Ambience.We had a great time.

Most people had packed jumpers etc but it was sunbathing weather.  We saw many people in swimwear.  We went up the Flam Railway with gloves and hats in our pockets.  Felt a bit silly,along with everyone else.  Someone said that the Norwegians were a bit  concerned in case some of the dry woodstuff ignites but I don't know if that is true.

We have been trying to rack our brains  for something to complain about on Ambience, but apart from a missing towel rail in the bathroom we just can't complain.  Cabin and steward great.  Food brilliant and larger portions.  Entertainment fine for us.  We heard no complaints just a comment that some would like more things to do and speakers on sea days.

OK it didn't have all the glitz and bling of some ships but it was a really nice friendly  cruise.

Haven't read everything yet but see that I must buy some Carnation milk for Avril's recipe when I find it again.😄

Nice to be back here x

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Jennizor, as others have said "what a beautiful garden" if I was moving into a garden sharing those plants they would definitely be staying in place.

After having a few showers this week it's a lovely sunny day here 🙂

I've been gathering everything together ready to pack suitcases tomorrow ready to drive to Newcastle on Monday to join FO Balmoral on Tuesday it's 8 nights round the top of Scotland (coals to Newcastle ha ha ) we choose it because it doesn't leave UK waters so it helped to reduce the price of insurance for my Husband (cancer) and although still expensive for what it is at least we didn't need a mortgage!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1