P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

No snow here today just raining. My daughter has just sent me a video she was sent of a bus sliding down a hill sideways in the area where she lives(near Halifax) and sliding towards a car that is stuck. It looks like it managed to stop before hitting it. I hope it doesn’t snow too much around Whitley Bay as daughter in laws baby due Monday and she will need to be able to get to Hosp 

Stay safe everyone 

Michelle 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Been raining for ever here. Had a nice 6.45 start for my walk this morning and never met anyone. Also waterproof walking shoes confirmed as waterproof. Did a test walk yesterday to estimate how long it would take to walk to the vaccine hub. I should do it in about 1hr 20 mins so that how it will be, no bus or taxi for me.

Went for my 4 mile walk at 5.45.Chucking it down.What brand shoes do you have?I've got Karrimor,OK for all conditions except wet manhole covers,then I tend to do a backward somersault.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have had a good snowfall overnight and still coming down, it is also very foggy, glad we went to th'Asda yesterday. 

Torrential rain last night before going to bed and awoke to heavy snow this morning. It's about 3'' deep at the moment and still falling, but not as heavy. I don't know when it will stop, the sky looks full of snow. The perfect day for a coffee and a good book with my feet up😊

Avril

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Looks like it could be a little unpleasant in Downing Street pretty soon:

"Furious fishermen threaten to dump rotting seafood in Downing Street unless Boris Johnson sorts out delays to exports since Brexit"

Not looking good.

I thought it was the difficulties with import documentation demanded by the EU that was causing the delays, not certain that Boris has the power to sort this out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Torrential rain last night before going to bed and awoke to heavy snow this morning. It's about 3'' deep at the moment and still falling, but not as heavy. I don't know when it will stop, the sky looks full of snow. The perfect day for a coffee and a good book with my feet up😊

Avril

Similar conditions in West Yorkshire as well Avril.

17 minutes ago, batholiver said:

"Furious fishermen threaten to dump rotting seafood in Downing Street unless Boris Johnson sorts out delays to exports since Brexit"

Not looking good.

The delays to exports are caused by the inability of exporters and/or their carriers to present the correct documentation.  For UK exporters there are documentation/customs software packages available from reputable companies, or look to engage a proficient documentation intermediary with specific product expertise

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Amendment

1 minute ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The delays to exports are caused by the inability of exporters and/or their carriers to present the correct documentation.  For UK exporters there are documentation/customs software packages available from reputable companies, or look to engage a proficient documentation intermediary with specific product expertise.

Membership of the Institute of Export could also be of benefit in the short, medium and long term.

Presumably memberships and intermediary’s have a cost to them and that all reduces profitability. 

I understood from the papers up here that part of the issue was the requirements not being finalised until the deal was, in late December. Companies therefore had very little time to get their house in order for January.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Not looking good.

Speak for yourself , I bet Larry will think ..."Bring it on "  :classic_love:

larry-the-downing-street-cat.jpg.3cccb9e71b559ecd4f61dce1b85cb743.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The delays to exports are caused by the inability of exporters and/or their carriers to present the correct documentation.  For UK exporters there are documentation/customs software packages available from reputable companies, or look to engage a proficient documentation intermediary with specific product expertise

Which is all well and good, but groupage is a real pain, especially when some of the load requires veterinary certificates (such as cheese) and some don't. The amount of documentation involved for,  a 20 tonne load, split between, say 15 producers, would be horrendous.

And let's not forget, that after all these years without the need for a single bit of paper for the vast majority of exports to the EU, there are very very few intermediaries around with the necessary knowledge,  and certainly not enough to cope with the UK/EU volume of trade.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Presumably memberships and intermediary’s have a cost to them and that all reduces profitability. 

I understood from the papers up here that part of the issue was the requirements not being finalised until the deal was, in late December. Companies therefore had very little time to get their house in order for January.

Software packages were available 30 minutes after the deal agreed/signed off. All packages came with practice/trial/dummy runs, with built in error highlighting with corrections, to ensure skill sets were ready to go live/operational as from Jan 1

Yes, there are costs involved, but software can be written off against Tax, being a legitimate business expenditure.  An intermediary may charge about £40.00 per shipment.

• Like 1

Software packages were available 30 minutes after the deal agreed/signed off. All packages came with practice/trial/dummy runs, with built in error highlighting with corrections, to ensure skill sets were ready to go live/operational as from Jan 1

Yes, there are costs involved, but software can be written off against Tax, being a legitimate business expenditure.  An intermediary may charge about £40.00 per shipment.

That’s interesting, thanks.  

That was still late December however with the Christmas holidays etc and up here a lockdown for the whole country (except the islands) from 26 December. Still a very limited time for such a major change.

If it is as simple as you make it sound I wonder (genuinely) why so many organisations are struggling and so much seafood and other produce is being wasted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

That was still late December however with the Christmas holidays etc and up here a lockdown for the whole country (except the islands) from 26 December. Still a very limited time for such a major change.

If it is as simple as you make it sound I wonder (genuinely) why so many organisations are struggling and so much seafood and other produce is being wasted.

If one is in business and there is going be changes in operational methods by a certain date.  Does one sit twiddling thumbs with hope the problem will go away, or actually do something to ensure one’s business functions effectively.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

I would be interested to hear what you say about this

BBC News - German freight giant DB Schenker pauses UK deliveries
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55662544

If the new paperwork is so straightforward, why the pause in deliveries to the UK.

• Like 1

If one is in business and there is going be changes in operational methods by a certain date.  Does one sit twiddling thumbs with hope the problem will go away, or actually do something to ensure one’s business functions effectively.

Could you please comment on how groupage is coping with the new systems?

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You don't consider that the media might be stirring things up just a little, after all these sort of "calamities" do make such good headlines.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I would be interested to hear what you say about this

BBC News - German freight giant DB Schenker pauses UK deliveries
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55662544

If the new paperwork is so straightforward, why the pause in deliveries to the UK.

Think it could be that German and UK exporters can not yet be trusted to get their paperwork done correctly, which will result in getting their trucks stranded on both side of the Channel.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Could you please comment on how groupage is coping with the new systems?

Are you sure that groupage is a major feature of these fresh sea food deliveries. They need refrigeration and I rather imagine that they don't  mix up fish with other produce needing refrigeration.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You don't consider that the media might be stirring things up just a little, after all these sort of "calamities" do make such good headlines.

I agree that the media often stir the pot and make mountains out of molehills. You and I agreeing, there must be a blue moon in the sky.

There have however been much more measured discussions about these issues and indeed questions in Parliament as recently as yesterday.

57 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought it was the difficulties with import documentation demanded by the EU that was causing the delays, not certain that Boris has the power to sort this out.

The fishermen are saying they were lied to about the consequences of Brexit, and since the PM signed up to the agreement with the EU in full knowledge (hopefully) of what was in it, the problem looks to be entirely his responsibility.

Eustace is already talking about buying them off with compensation, which looks very much like an admission of responsibility. The rest of us are having to pay for it of course, along with Northern Ireland where there are serious problems importing food from GB. And there are already gaps in the fresh food aisles here, and various delivery firms refusing to deliver from mainland Europe to the UK.

Somebody was telling porkies.

Raining heavily again here today so we’ve not been out for our walk. The good news is that I’ve done my tax return - always a relief when it’s out of the way!
The bad news is that my 97 year old father-in-law has just tested positive from his regular weekly lateral flow test. He lives in a care home and is apparently fine and showing no symptoms, but at his age we are obviously very worried.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There have however been much more measured discussions about these issues and indeed questions in Parliament as recently as yesterday.

Yes, it could be because those who wish to are making it a political issue, not a business decision one.

Just now, PORT ROYAL said:

Yes, it could be because those who wish to are making it a political issue, not a business decision one.

Rotting fish is a business issue surely? You can’t sell it, you lose money. Business.

Everything and anything is “political” depending on how you perceive it.

30 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

And if one is in business, planning for the last couple of years to make changes for 1 January 2021, but the details needed to make those changes aren't agreed until 24 December 2020, would you still consider that ineffective planning? Particularly in view of all the assurances that there are going to be no problems caused by leaving the EU.

• Like 1