PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

When I went back to school I had a grad student teaching one of my classes. She was from the San Francisco area and her husband had stayed behind while she got settled in and did her first semester of teaching. When he was going to move up here they needed a new car and she said they had a big argument because she wanted air conditioning in the car and he said it was a huge waste of money. (Since I've always lived in this part of the state it never occurred to me that they sell cars without AC these days.) She said that after he moved to this area he apologized profusely. He had no idea about the heat.

I feel sorry for the folks in Seattle and Portland and places like that who have no AC and are now experiencing record breaking temperatures.

Yes it is super hot here in Portland - 106 at 12:45 and expecting to top out at around 115 around 5.  We are lucky to live in a condo and put in a new HVAC about 2 1/2 years ago but many people in single family homes do not have AC - I believe the stores are no sold out of portable units

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

It’s 80F here in Kailua-Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii. We spent three days on the Hilo side and had a magnificent time. We checked in here yesterday afternoon, and enjoyed a lovely dinner while watching the sun set. 
I’m sipping my chocolate chai tea on the lanai and catching up with the threads here. We picked up the tea at a chocolate farm we toured on the other side. 
Below are my current views from my seat. A little bird came to visit me a few minutes ago. I also added last night’s sunset. 
It’s wonderful to be here with all three young adult offspring. We came to Oahu and Maui ten years ago, for our 20th anniversary, then sent the kids and Grandma home. PapaFej and I had an additional week on Kauai. This time, we are celebrating the youngest’s HS graduation (2020), the middle’s college graduation, and our 30th anniversary. We’ve all got two weeks on this island, and a week together on Kauai, all in condos, then we will send the kids back to CA, and have another week on Kauai at a romantic resort. The oldest will head back to Montana shortly after Hubby and I return home. 
I am grateful and happy to be here. I’m also grateful and happy that I booked this trip long enough ago to have avoided the crazy price hikes that have happened the last few months! 

DBB602EE-F870-496C-B853-16CF192B064A.jpeg

AE4024D0-902D-4E7D-81FB-B2A38FFD576D.jpeg

A9CBCC3D-ECBB-46BA-9E2A-F5329F9DF4EC.jpeg

DA9F2270-2B6B-4097-9CB2-CF859AF099A4.jpeg

We made it to 89 degrees  today with humidity felt like 101! I hope you have a wonderful time 🙂 Love the photos TY!

Gigi

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Yes it is super hot here in Portland - 106 at 12:45 and expecting to top out at around 115 around 5.  We are lucky to live in a condo and put in a new HVAC about 2 1/2 years ago but many people in single family homes do not have AC - I believe the stores are no sold out of portable units

117 at our daughter's house in Hillsboro (just west of Portland). Yes, they have A/C

• Like 2

We got extremely lucky and have a week of clouds/sporadic rain with highs in the 70’s before returning to our usual temps.  Running the evaporative portable fan just to keep the water from getting yucky.  Have reached out to our niece and her husband in Woodinville (WA) - hoping the little window unit air conditioner we gave her years ago is still functional.  MamaFej got it right with that Hawaii vacation - perfect place, perfect timing!

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 2

Arrrg!  The Colorado Database shows Phil’s Moderna vaccine data, but only shows me with one shot.  Glad I checked because I don’t know what vaccine-verification will happen for travel in future, and fear my card might not be sufficient.  Don’t want to be in the position of standing on the pier waiving goodbye to Phil.  Now the hassle factor of trying to run down the procedure to correct this in the system.   We’ll, nuts!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

Arrrg!  The Colorado Database shows Phil’s Moderna vaccine data, but only shows me with one shot.  Glad I checked because I don’t know what vaccine-verification will happen for travel in future, and fear my card might not be sufficient.  Don’t want to be in the position of standing on the pier waiving goodbye to Phil.  Now the hassle factor of trying to run down the procedure to correct this in the system.   We’ll, nuts!

That does *not* sound like fun.

23 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

Arrrg!  The Colorado Database shows Phil’s Moderna vaccine data, but only shows me with one shot.  

Doesn't your vaccination card list both shots?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

I’m glad you found out now, not at the pier. Even though mine showed in CalVax and was automatically reflected in my personal medical records, when CA introduced the QR code thing a couple of weeks ago, there was some issue, and I couldn’t get one right away. I clicked on the troubleshooting link, answered the questions, and got an email less than a week later, telling me that they were able to verify my information and to try again. I did, and poof, I was able to get my QR code. I haven’t needed it yet, but it’s nice to know I’ve got it. 
We all had to get pre-authorized to come to HI in order to skip mandatory quarantine. By showing our HI QR code before boarding in CA, we got wristbands and were able to skip the very, very, very long lines upon landing in Honolulu. I was really impressed with how Hawaiian Airlines handled it. 

Anyway, Lois, I hope you can get it all straightened out well before you need to be able to prove your vaccinations. Best of luck to you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! We did a night snorkel with manta rays tonight. It was freaking amazing!!! I had a great spot and they were doing barrel rolls right under me! One even brushed up against my leg at one point. What a phenomenal experience! 

My boys took photos and video, if I can, I’ll share pictures soon. 

Good night, friends. We’ve got an early morning tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Yep, the card shows both but if the airline or cruise lines verify that the card isn’t bogus or require more formal documentation using the state database, I have a problem.  The QR code thingy sounds like what my cousins downloaded before they flew to Hawaii.  I didn’t really pay attention to what they were saying, but now realize it was probably important to know.  😊

Edited by LoriPhil

Wohoo!  To complete the loop - all is resolved and the Medical Center has updated my records, to be uploaded to the state registry tonight.   Apparently an administrative barf with my data, but they jumped right to it and we’re able to get it verified and handled in about ten minutes.  My but that feels better.   

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

They don't require the QR code do they? my husband has a  flip phone and I have an apple five I bought off ebay  lol

Who is/are”they?” You can print the code for Hawaii. We all did that as a backup, just in case. I imagine others are printable, too. 

14 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Who is/are”they?” You can print the code for Hawaii. We all did that as a backup, just in case. I imagine others are printable, too. 

Assuming one can actually get a code in the first place. I've finally submitted a pic of my CDL and my COVID vaccination card to the troubleshooting folks. Hopefully they can get things sorted out so I can get the electronic verification. If it works for me I'll submit the same stuff for my wife.

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Assuming one can actually get a code in the first place. I've finally submitted a pic of my CDL and my COVID vaccination card to the troubleshooting folks. Hopefully they can get things sorted out so I can get the electronic verification. If it works for me I'll submit the same stuff for my wife.

Best of luck to you, Thrak! 

If you’re talking about Hawaii, the process and website are not intuitive, nor user friendly, but it was absolutely worth it to do it all, and it was great to land wearing a bracelet that indicated we were pre-cleared. The line at HNL for those without bracelets was LONG, and I imagine some folks probably missed connecting flights. 

For the CA one, the troubleshooting folks got back to me in less that a week. I was pleasantly surprised. I just wish it was something I could add to my digital wallet. I have it in both my photos and files, instead. 

The times, they are a-changing. 

1 minute ago, MamaFej said:

For the CA one, the troubleshooting folks got back to me in less that a week. I was pleasantly surprised. I just wish it was something I could add to my digital wallet. I have it in both my photos and files, instead. 

The original troubleshooting deal was fast. Like you, they got back to us very quickly. Their mail said they had done further research and to try again. It still didn't work. The text of their email is below:

You are receiving this email because you submitted your name and information to our troubleshooting form. Thanks to your feedback we were able to make adjustments and obtain additional contact information from providers, which improves the ability for you to retrieve a Digital Vaccine Record.

Please try to retrieve your Digital Vaccine Record again by visiting https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov. Once you do, please click on the sentence below that best describes your experience:

Once you do, please click on the sentence below that best describes your experience:

1. I retrieved my Digital Vaccine Record and no longer need help.
  2. I retrieved my Digital Vaccine Record, but one of my doses was missing or inaccurate.
  3. I cannot retrieve my Digital Vaccine Record.

Thank you for getting vaccinated and helping keep California safe. If you indicate that you need further assistance, we will follow up as we make additional progress.

-- CDPH

I had to reply using link #3.  That's when I looked further and found they now wanted me to submit a copy of my ID and a copy of my vaccination card - although, for some reason, the copy of the vaccination card was optional. Weird. I submitted both and it says it could take 2 - 3 weeks to find out if it works. Ah, well. It will either work or it won't. If it does I'll be happy. If it doesn't I'll be o worse off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you! I thought all cruise lines were requiring this! I don't even know how to get that code!

Edited by Reader0108598

19 hours ago, Reader0108598 said:

Thank you! I thought all cruise lines were requiring this! I don't even know how to get that code!

This is the first I am hearing about a QR code. Is it only available in CA?  And is it just for Hawaii?

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, Thrak said:

The original troubleshooting deal was fast. Like you, they got back to us very quickly. Their mail said they had done further research and to try again. It still didn't work. The text of their email is below:

You are receiving this email because you submitted your name and information to our troubleshooting form. Thanks to your feedback we were able to make adjustments and obtain additional contact information from providers, which improves the ability for you to retrieve a Digital Vaccine Record.

Please try to retrieve your Digital Vaccine Record again by visiting https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov. Once you do, please click on the sentence below that best describes your experience:

Once you do, please click on the sentence below that best describes your experience:

1. I retrieved my Digital Vaccine Record and no longer need help.
  2. I retrieved my Digital Vaccine Record, but one of my doses was missing or inaccurate.
  3. I cannot retrieve my Digital Vaccine Record.

Thank you for getting vaccinated and helping keep California safe. If you indicate that you need further assistance, we will follow up as we make additional progress.

-- CDPH

I had to reply using link #3.  That's when I looked further and found they now wanted me to submit a copy of my ID and a copy of my vaccination card - although, for some reason, the copy of the vaccination card was optional. Weird. I submitted both and it says it could take 2 - 3 weeks to find out if it works. Ah, well. It will either work or it won't. If it does I'll be happy. If it doesn't I'll be o worse off.

The QR code and vaccination info came right up for me when I clicked on the link they sent me. But, looking at the QR code with my camera doesn't show anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billco said:

The QR code and vaccination info came right up for me when I clicked on the link they sent me. But, looking at the QR code with my camera doesn't show anything.

Try using a dedicated QR Code reader. I use an app called QR Droid and it works quite well for me. There are any number of apps to choose from for Android and I'm sure there are apps available for iOS as well. I hate relying on the camera function to give me proper results from a QR Code. A dedicated app works much better for me.

• Like 2

I had as close to the Sanctuary experience as I can get off of a cruise ship: donating platelets! 

I got a reserved lounger, a lovely staff bringing me blankets, drinks and snacks, an Ipad on a stand with headphones for my entertainment pleasure, and (depending on which chair I get) a lovely view!  The only drawback is keeping my arm still for 2 hours 😄

• Like 6