Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

On 7/14/2020 at 7:09 PM, cruzingnut said:

Gloria, the Facebook group is for the passengers who were on this years world cruise.  If you look on here (Cruise Critic Roll Calls) and find the Roll Call for that cruise, you'll see more information if you are interested. 

Linda R.

Linda, I received an invitation to join Holland America Fans but I don’t think this is the same group as the 2020 World Cruise one.  Who issues the invite from your 2020 group?

it is being published in many maritime websites.....maasdam and veendam are sold as a  pair, so are amsterdam and rotterdam. buyers for amsterdam and rotterdam - fred olsen cruise lines

Edited by michaelfl
addition

On 7/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, KirkNC said:

Captain Jonathan posted it on the FB group World Cruise 2020 HAL Amsterdam.  Due to arrive in Fla on August 27th.

Your luggage has had an adventure even if you didn't.  I came on this thread to find out about your luggage.   Glad to hear it's scheduled to be repatriated in August.   They better not sell it with your luggage onboard!  Has it been transferred to another ship?

3 minutes ago, bcummin said:

The good Captain Jonathan Mercer must be heartbroken,

Perhaps not.  All things must come to an end, and this was not totally unexpected.  At least Capt. Mercer was able to command her last official voyage, and they sort of retired together.  And we can have the distinction of being Amsterdam's last paying passengers.  What a trip!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

Your luggage has had an adventure even if you didn't.  I came on this thread to find out about your luggage.   Glad to hear it's scheduled to be repatriated in August.   They better not sell it with your luggage onboard!  Has it been transferred to another ship?

Luggage has been loaded into containers and is now aboard the container ship Gulf Bridge.

Gulf Bridge port Itinerary

Port                                       Sail in          Sail Out

VUNG TAU, VN                     7/14/2020 7/15/2020 SP‐SSA INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL

HONG KONG, SAR , CHINA 7/17/2020 7/17/2020 HONG KONG INTL TERMINAL

SHEKOU, CN                         7/18/2020 7/18/2020 SHEKOU CONTAINER TERMINAL LTD

NINGBO, CN                          7/21/2020 7/22/2020 NINGBO MEISHAN ISLAND INTERNATIONAL

SHANGHAI, CN                     7/23/2020 7/23/2020 YANGSHAN DEEP WATER PORT

BUSAN, KOREA, KR              7/25/2020 7/25/2020 BUSAN NEW CONTAINER TERMINAL

HOUSTON, TX, US                8/18/2020 8/20/2020 BAYPORT CONTAINER TERMINAL

MOBILE, AL, US                    8/21/2020 8/22/2020 APM TERMINALS MOBILE ALABAMA

MIAMI, FL, US                       8/27/2020 8/28/2020 SOUTH FLORIDA CONTAINER TER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:

Yes, thanks for asking!  It was offloaded in Singapore and is now on the container ship Gulf Bridge.  It is scheduled to arrive in Miami on August 27th.  Not sure what process it will go through there before Fed Ex will ship it home.  We are hoping to see it in mid-September.  It will be like Christmas as we have forgotten what’s in it.  Take care.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fredspak said:

Perhaps not.  All things must come to an end, and this was not totally unexpected.  At least Capt. Mercer was able to command her last official voyage, and they sort of retired together.  And we can have the distinction of being Amsterdam's last paying passengers.  What a trip!

Oh, he was...most definitely, he was quite shocked actually.

Linda R.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Oh, he was...most definitely, he was quite shocked actually.

Linda R.

interesting to hear that he was "shocked" - i m sure the decision to sell the amsterdam was not made after our cruise ended in perth, such contract negotiations take months. and as a senior member of the company i am sure mr mercer had been informed about a "pending sale".

there is always a big difference beteeen that what people say (and what the "fans" want to hear) and what people actually know.......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, michaelfl said:

interesting to hear that he was "shocked" - i m sure the decision to sell the amsterdam was not made after our cruise ended in perth, such contract negotiations take months. and as a senior member of the company i am sure mr mercer had been informed about a "pending sale".

there is always a big difference beteeen that what people say (and what the "fans" want to hear) and what people actually know.......

He was indeed shocked.  Why would he know or be told of anything since he was retiring?  HAL has never been terribly forthcoming with information for anyone, not just us lowly passengers. Never mind that everything that has been happening in these constantly evolving times has been last minute.  Considering how much the ship went for, I feel pretty safe in thinking that it was last minute.  If there were negotiations, I'm sure HAL would have asked for much more than a measly $37 million.  That to me shows that HAL is most definitely in dire straits.  Of course, we are all entitled to our opinions; this just happens to me mine.

Linda R.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

He was indeed shocked.  Why would he know or be told of anything since he was retiring?  HAL has never been terribly forthcoming with information for anyone, not just us lowly passengers. Never mind that everything that has been happening in these constantly evolving times has been last minute.  Considering how much the ship went for, I feel pretty safe in thinking that it was last minute.  If there were negotiations, I'm sure HAL would have asked for much more than a measly $37 million.  That to me shows that HAL is most definitely in dire straits.  Of course, we are all entitled to our opinions; this just happens to me mine.

Linda R.

I agree, the price the ships went for is amazingly low.  I think the issue was about carrying cost going forward.

I seriously doubt Captain Mercer had any inking at all.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Indianadaytripper said:

Trouble is that when you sell a cruise ship it take market share. 

II doubt that is a big concern now while they're still in the "stop the bleeding" mode.  Besides, the buyer would have found another ship somewhere else, anyway.

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I seriously doubt Captain Mercer had any inking at all.

Quite agree.  I have found speaking with Officers aboard a HAL ship that I, a guest, thanks to CC in part, have more up-to-date news than they do.  

• Like 1

I am not sure why officers of any ship would give confidential information to a guest or another employee, even if they are 5* or President's Club.  Confidential is confidential.  Haven't most of us been asked about information we possess that we are not at liberty to divulge?  I find that commendable.  JMO  Cherie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am in no way suggesting that whatever information I may share is "confidential".  If I learn it by participating on CC and reading the cruise industry publications to which I subscribe. such information ought not to be considered "confidential".  I have no "pipeline" to Seattle or Miami.  My access to a ship's Senior Officer is fleeting on any cruise.  The Officers with whom I am most likely to share a conversation are Junior Officers who often seem to be--not surprisingly--out of whatever loop that exists on the ship.  

confidential or not confidential was not my subject. all i said is that i assume that mr mercer must have known something about the sale of the amsterdam. even if it was a confidential information.  i have not implied that he was supposed to inform the passengers.

subject closed.

• Like 2