Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

It must have been gorgeous there yesterday.  It was in the 90's and humid here yesterday, too hot for me!

It was warm but not hot. My phone was saying around 80°. The island was really nice. The crowds and traffic have not arrived yet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

We booked a Panama cruise this morning on the Beyond for March of 2024.🛳️

One of the ports it goes to is Cartagena.  I've been sponsoring a young lady, Yulieth, from Cartagena for several years now.  She will be 16 in August.  Years ago a Priest from Unbound came to our Church, hoping parishioners would sponsor either a child or a senior.  They had pictures with each child/senior with their birth dates and the Country they were from.  I saw that Yulieth was born on the same day as my cousin who had passed away from a tragic car accident while we were in our 20's, so I definitely was drawn to this little girl, who is growing into a lovely young lady.  These children come from such poverty.  She thanked me in her last letter that her mother was able to buy her medicine with the money.  Imagine, being thankful to be able to buy medicine, etc.

Anyway, my whole point in writing about Yulieth, is that I would love to meet her while in Port.  Probably pretty impossible, but one never knows, right??

Maryann,    This is a lovely story.     So very kind and loving of you to sponsor her.    🥰There is a lot of poverty in Cartagena and surrounding areas.     That would be wonderful if you can set up a meeting with Yulieth.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

What a great childhood you must have enjoyed!!!!!

I think I had a great childhood but a bit different from typical. I think living on an island 29 miles out to sea instilled a strong sense of independence and the ability to entertain myself wirhout a lot of "things" to help. I was a dock rat. I knew many of the fishermen and would spend time just being on their boats. I knew the crews of the ships of the steamship line and would spend time just walking around the ships when they were tied up at the island turning over for the trip back to the mainland. And when the family was making a trip across I'd be roaming the ship, sitting in the wheel house, got to steer a few times, was down in the engine room, and occasionally checked in at the purser's office where dad would spend the crossing talking with his friends. Mom would spend the trip doing... I have no idea what she did but when the crossing was finished we did all ended up in the same car. And as much as I loved going to visit grand parents and family, I was always happy when we got on the boat and went back to our island.

My dad, an electrical engineer, worked at the airport. I had my share of time up in the tower. So there you go. My love of ships, the ocean, and airplanes. Life was simple back then. My mom says I romanticize those times. Maybe I do but the memories live on and they are good.

Now, my brother on the other hand......

• Like 24

35 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Below Deck Sailing Yacht reunion tonight!  They have been teasing that there is someone Capt Glenn would not hire again.  I think it is Ashley.  

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Below Deck reunion tonight.

Yup.  I just saw a preview online.  Looks a little racy as usual with these guys.

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think I had a great childhood but a bit different from typical. I think living on an island 29 miles out to sea instilled a strong sense of independence and the ability to entertain myself wirhout a lot of "things" to help. I was a dock rat. I knew many of the fishermen and would spend time just being on their boats. I knew the crews of the ships of the steamship line and would spend time just walking around the ships when they were tied up at the island turning over for the trip back to the mainland. And when the family was making a trip across I'd be roaming the ship, sitting in the wheel house, got to steer a few times, was down in the engine room, and occasionally checked in at the purser's office where dad would spend the crossing talking with his friends. Mom would spend the trip doing... I have no idea what she did but when the crossing was finished we did all ended up in the same car. And as much as I loved going to visit grand parents and family, I was always happy when we got on the boat and went back to our island.

My dad, an electrical engineer, worked at the airport. I had my share of time up in the tower. So there you go. My love of ships, the ocean, and airplanes. Life was simple back then. My mom says I romanticize those times. Maybe I do but the memories live on and they are good.

What a wonderful set of memories you had. I think that is so cool you got to experience that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Maryann,    This is a lovely story.     So very kind and loving of you to sponsor her.    🥰There is a lot of poverty in Cartagena and surrounding areas.     That would be wonderful if you can set up a meeting with Yulieth.   

Thank you, Debbie.  Yulieth and her family certainly live in poverty.  It kills me when she tells me she used her Birthday money to buy her uniform for school, or they bought some cooking pots, etc.  She always makes it a point to tell me what they use the money for.  When she was little, she would always make a drawing for me at the bottom of the letter.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sounds like a great childhood.  I wouldn't mind a life like that in retirement.  The idea of living on a boat, on the water, in shorts and flip flops is highly appealing to me.  

• Like 8

@Ocean BoyWhat a wonderful childhood!  Did you have to go off-Island to go to school?  Years ago, I believe the kids that lived on Governor's Island had to take the boat to Manhattan to get to school.  

I lived one town over from the St. George Ferry.  When I was in high school,  I took the train to school, which was at the Southernmost part of the Island (complete opposite from the Ferry)  My all-girls high school academy also had boarders, and on Friday afternoons, the Nuns would ride on the train with the boarders to the Staten Island Ferry.  Now that I think about it, I guess the Nuns must've taken the Ferry with the girls.  Funny that I never really thought about that🤔   None of the boarders were in my class...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Luckynana said:

One of the ports it goes to is Cartagena.  I've been sponsoring a young lady, Yulieth, from Cartagena for several years now.  She will be 16 in August.  Years ago a Priest from Unbound came to our Church, hoping parishioners would sponsor either a child or a senior.  They had pictures with each child/senior with their birth dates and the Country they were from.  I saw that Yulieth was born on the same day as my cousin who had passed away from a tragic car accident while we were in our 20's, so I definitely was drawn to this little girl, who is growing into a lovely young lady.  These children come from such poverty.  She thanked me in her last letter that her mother was able to buy her medicine with the money.  Imagine, being thankful to be able to buy medicine, etc.

Anyway, my whole point in writing about Yulieth, is that I would love to meet her while in Port.  Probably pretty impossible, but one never knows, right??

I am on that sailing departing March 11, 2024!  Is the one you are booked on as well?  I do hope you can meet with her while we are there!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So there you go. My love of ships, the ocean, and airplanes. Life was simple back then. My mom says I romanticize those times. Maybe I do but the memories live on and they are good.

You picked a great CC name as you truly grew up an Ocean Boy. 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just a few pictures from our day. 

Daisies are out. 

C6DFCB89-F209-46A1-B5AF-BF3234F6E4F8.thumb.jpeg.5f4a863ed75452f74f5a898c54c50169.jpeg

As are turtles 

5958BD5C-F479-42BD-A725-E5380743C4AF.thumb.jpeg.e4e90002394ede9eb6e83fd0d32c4b40.jpeg

We were walking today, when we stopped to pick some berries, and found this following us.  It walked right up to us. 

0060B1E3-DF3B-45EF-A9B4-93593CC7549B.thumb.jpeg.2446528b90412fc5bf4401be2c7f987b.jpeg

Tonight’s supper was filets, baked corn, and potatoes with chives and bacon. 

43CDEED3-D264-4DD9-8C7F-81E81976D8B9.thumb.jpeg.df5e60b1bfd12b8d24674a9b313b68ac.jpeg

We had all the grandkids here for supper. 

0EA0DFE9-6E00-4A8C-A193-0C6BD25C1F52.thumb.jpeg.87ecaad5b0d9d1fc7d1377de1251622a.jpeg

We were watching the other two while my daughter and SIL were at the funeral home. One of the young engineers at SIL’s company passed away from pancreatic cancer.  Very sad. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 18

55 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@Ocean BoyWhat a wonderful childhood!  Did you have to go off-Island to go to school?  Years ago, I believe the kids that lived on Governor's Island had to take the boat to Manhattan to get to school.  

I lived one town over from the St. George Ferry.  When I was in high school,  I took the train to school, which was at the Southernmost part of the Island (complete opposite from the Ferry)  My all-girls high school academy also had boarders, and on Friday afternoons, the Nuns would ride on the train with the boarders to the Staten Island Ferry.  Now that I think about it, I guess the Nuns must've taken the Ferry with the girls.  Funny that I never really thought about that🤔   None of the boarders were in my class...

Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard both have k-12 on island. No fast ferries back then. It was 2.5 hrs on the steamships from Nantucket to the mainland and a little longer if the boat stopped at Martha's Vineyard on the way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Sounds like a great childhood.  I wouldn't mind a life like that in retirement.  The idea of living on a boat, on the water, in shorts and flip flops is highly appealing to me.  

Every time we pass Sausalito, driving the 101 up to my son’s house, I look at the houseboats along the bay, and think how great it would be to live on the water there.  

I thought surely it would be less expensive than some of the real estate around there. Then I saw this. 

https://sfist.com/2016/08/17/you_too_can_live_on_a_houseboat_in/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Oh Maryann, how special you are to make such a positive impact on the life of a child you never met.  Hopefully, you will be able to meet Yulieth when you'll be in Cartagena.  Maybe the organization/church that helped match you up with Yulieth can help clear the path for a meeting.

• Like 3