Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I also would've said JFK's funeral was the most watched on television 

I might agree but I think the Queen's funeral will be watched more globally. JFK's funeral was not as globally watched. 

I always wondered what Jackie did to keep her young children so quiet while standing such a long time next to her.  John John was only 3.

• Like 4

Coming up: Sea Dog learns his lessons about Taxis and Ubers and explores the wonders of “Little Havana” and Tiki Exotica. All this and more when Sea Dog does his “As if Live” on September 25th.

How’s that for a broadcast television tease?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I might agree but I think the Queen's funeral will be watched more globally. JFK's funeral was not as globally watched. 

I always wondered what Jackie did to keep her young children so quiet while standing such a long time next to her.  John John was only 3.

And she planned it in just days, just the right amount of pomp, circumstance, dignity, respect and grace.  She didn’t drag it out unnecessarily…

• Like 3

@Jimbo I made your Pasta Fagioli soup.  It was a hit with both me and Jack.  I can see why you had to transfer double ingredients to a large pot.  I have quite a bit left over so glad I halved the recipe. Just made a salad to go with it and it was a perfect dinner for two not so terribly hungry people.

AND, hardly any clean-up using slow cooker liners.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, George C said:

We started watching the game about a hour after it started so I was able to fast forward thru the commercials, we almost never watch anything with commercials. I was very happy prime allowed this.

The experience in real time took me back to the 70s.  Painful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We bought new luggage about 5 years ago. Hard sided cases from Away Travel. Absolutely love them. They’ve got a nice system for cinching down clothes in one half to prevent movement (wrinkles) and squeeze in more stuff. The outside is extremely durable…just some scuffs after a lot of use. 

We bought hard case luggage prior to our last cruise and we’re very happy with the purchase.

On 9/12/2022 at 6:10 PM, George C said:

Try the doubletree it’s a block closer to terminal with lots of restaurants in lobby including some with live music. I prefer that over Hilton.

As we walked around by the Hilton we are staying at we went into the Double Tree. OMG you are so right so much to do over there with the bars and restaurants plus the marina being right there. Hilton is nice but boring. Next time we come to Miami we are booking the Double Tree.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

No you are not the only one. I would never buy hard sided luggage.

I have for the last time.  Two suitcases ruined with broken wheel casings (thank you airlines).  The wheel casing separated from the luggage. Back to soft side for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Coming up: Sea Dog learns his lessons about Taxis and Ubers and explores the wonders of “Little Havana” and Tiki Exotica. All this and more when Sea Dog does his “As if Live” on September 25th.

Quite good, going to the Mai Kai for dinner or drinks?

We last bought luggage in 2017 before our 3 plus week trip to Asia.  I was tired of wheels falling off, and seams ripping, so, I spent a small fortune on 2 Briggs and Riley bags.  The Lovely K’s bag is red (suits her) and is hard sided, and it expands.  Mine Blue(suits me) and is soft sided.  I bought them because they have lifetime warranty and are well made.  We have used them pretty much exclusively since, they still look good and I haven’t had a single broken bit yet.  Not sure, when I do if they will be worth the expense of mailing them off for refurbishment.  I know the cheaper, but not cheap bags prior would be destroyed by now. 

that said, I definitely can recommend the brand.

jc

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We just came home from the High School football game.  We proudly watched our grandson Ryan play the clarinet with the  Marching Band, while our grandson Jack live-streamed the game on YouTube from high above the bleachers. 

We just streamed the Football rally at our granddaughters college,a Div.1 school.Toby and I ,our daughters and one son in law all went to Div.3 colleges.Our other SIL went to a Div.1 college but we did not know him at the time.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As we walked around by the Hilton we are staying at we went into the Double Tree. OMG you are so right so much to do over there with the bars and restaurants plus the marina being right there. Hilton is nice but boring. Next time we come to Miami we are booking the Double Tree.

We did the same thing like you , first time in this area we did Hilton but walked over to doubletree, after that we just booked doubletree . Where did you eat?

• Like 3

Meanwhile, we caught the ferry from Manly to Circular Quay.  Early ferry, very quiet and the harbour was like a lake. Glorious. Did laps of the outside of the Opera House until our tour started.  Did the Architectural Tour of the Opera House.  Highlight was seeing the newly renovated Concert Hall.  Beautiful! (no photos permitted).  We also stepped into the Bennelong Restaurant.  We only stepped in on the upper level.  When we’ve dined there we sit on the lower level which over looks the harbour on the Bridge side.  North Foyer - which with the sun streaming in and all the glass was very warm. Tour  takes you inside & outside the Opera House and runs for an hour and you get headsets to hear the guide.  B311FBF0-DF33-4142-8694-5F846B369A44.thumb.jpeg.d65a31487ae145ddd692e0fd96ebac7a.jpeg

B9AB001C-2173-4B0E-89A9-2154F8A8BD0A.thumb.jpeg.14f0f728f766135a0b6a04cec9c6ec27.jpeg

04C6CAD0-969A-424E-A7B7-5FD5AC6B8F9D.thumb.jpeg.53bd457c439bc9950dde1cb20a3fc70d.jpeg

30428F15-0D25-4DAC-996B-6B84383C956D.thumb.jpeg.2a7a70459ccd24a8253e1703f2850c6a.jpegEBA3ED10-2EC8-40E3-BAD0-5A45FB1D50CC.thumb.jpeg.7cd442fea111054e928e977e46d70c14.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

You had me at Tiki Exotica. 😇

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We always stay at the Doubletree in Miami. Everything is pretty much right there, and you can take the free People Mover down to Bayside Marketplace for all their dining and entertainment. 

Thanks for all the input about luggage. I guess I was just surprised about how many photos are posted with hardside luggage. They seem kind of bulky to me, but I will look a little closer next time we are in the market. The Delsey's have held up very well. We replaced the Samsonite toiletries bag with a no-name bag from Ross before our last cruise. 

• Like 4

If anyone comes to Sydney, highly recommend the Aboriginal Heritage Harbour Tour in the Botanical Gardens.  A paid tour, our park staff guide has an Aboriginal grandmother who was born in Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory. He was very passionate and informative about early Colonisation and Aboriginal life and  language.  The Tour only went for an hour but felt longer in a good way.  He packed a lot of info in.

• Like 7

I purchased hard-sided luggage last fall while on a stint of five cruises (ordered online and had shipped home, didn't ACTUALLY purchase it on a cruise).  The wheels on my previous soft-sided luggage just caused me nothing but headaches on the way to the cruise (airport, hotel, cruise, and all the transfers), so I decided to get some quality luggage for my next trip.

I went with Travel Pro Maxlite 5, and I've been very happy with it so far.  I was amazed at how lightweight hard-sided luggage is these days!  I do miss being able to pack everything into one deep section instead of two halves (I always seem to open it "backwards"... one side is zipped closed on the inside and the other side has elastic straps, and I need to put a label on the zippered side that says "this side up" or something!), but otherwise I've been very happy with it.  

I've done four flights (eight total planes) since purchasing them, and other than a few scuffs, everything's working well... ESPECIALLY the wheels!  When you travel solo, good functioning wheels are SO important!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LGW59 said:

And really the only one who did actual front line service, he earned the right to wear his uniform!  As far as I can tell, the others with all their myriad of medals, had them bestowed mostly by decree.

Sorry but that's not true, Prince Andrew served has a Copter Pilot in the Falk!ands War in 1982.

I don't usually contribute to this board but do often read your interesting threads.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2