Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I wonder if they are behind on them due to so many that built up points when they were offering double points during the restart.

WE turned pinnacle in N0vember and still haven't received  our PIN pins. WE asked the LA on our cruise last week , and he had no answer.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

We didn’t know about Featherdale, or I would have been there. 
Your birds are a feast for the eyes!

I was fascinated by Australia’s animals, but plumb gobsmacked by the birds!

I’ve been ill with pneumonia and off the internet. Trying to catch up a little today. 

Sorry to hear you have pneumonia Mimi.

Screenshot_20221224_105757.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, derorim said:

I never really understood the need for a pot filler over the stove.  I find it easier to carry a pot of hot tap water from the sink to the stove than to carry a pot of boiling water back from the stove to the sink.  I'd find a pot emptier more useful, but I don't think anyone's invented that yet.  

We used to use a steamer a lot...mostly for vegetables.  We had a fairly cheap countertop model...less than $50.  We used it so much that we needed to replace it every year or so.  When we remodeled our kitchen in Cincinnati, we were looking at appliances at a distributor showroom and Micheline saw a Wolf in-counter steamer.  It got hard piped in, both filling and draining, which would have been very convenient.  I thought the drain idea was very cool.  Micheline thought the price was $250 and was ready to pounce on that in our new kitchen design.  She missed a zero though and the actual price was $2500.  We could buy a new "throw away" countertop model every 3 months for 10 years and still spend less money. 😁

• Like 8

I use a Rollator to get around. Old back injury results in back pain when I walk very far. It has a seat so I can sit if I need it.  I check it when I fly, and get wheelchair assistance at the airport. ADA  forbids airlines from charging extra for mobility devices.

I don't want to use a powered wheelchair device since it is still important for me to keep walking.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks so much .  Very helpful.   As of now I can still get around but by the afternoon it gets to be a challenge.   I would not be able to walk a long distance without some help.  I didn't think of checking them out at a medical device store.  My DD, who is an OT and has been able to get medical stuff setup, is going to see if she can get a chair prescribed.   She already got two doctors send me the paperwork to get handicapped parking.  She's good. 

There are also organizations that loan transport chairs and other medical equipment.  The Senior Center in the town my parents lived in had a lending program.  The Elks also did.  The Masons have a lending program near me that I was able to borrow a rollator for my Mom last year.  She had the typical metal walker that she picked up when she used it instead of pushing it.  I wanted her to try a rollator which has a seat and four wheels instead of two but she didn't want to buy one.  I borrowed one and she loved it, plus she was so much safer because she uses it correctly.  We bought her one for Christmas and returned the loaner but it was a great to be able to "test drive" one.

Maybe try to borrow one short term until you find one you like.  I bet your daughter the OT knows a resource to borrow from.  The Mason lending program near me has hospital beds, hoyer lifts, transfer chairs, walkers, rollators, and pretty much anything else people need.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Made follow up call #2 to C&A his afternoon to see if there were any updates on the crystal block we should have received on EX in January.  It is still “in progress” and will ship as soon they have back in stock.  I won’t hold my breath.  

I'm waiting on 2 blocks.  Sent an email a couple of months ago and never got a reply, so I called C&A.  They told me that they received my email and it was already in process.  I was told that I should have a shipping tracking number in a couple of weeks.  This was 28 days ago.  Time to call again.  I'm not holding my breath no matter what they tell me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I need some suggestions.   Does anyone use a lightweight Transport Wheelchair to fly and cruise?  Is it a challenge to board an airline with?  Any problems using them with a Lyft service?  Any suggestions on which to buy or not tobuy?
Also my PT suggested to get a cane that has a small tri base.  Any suggestions?

The last time was 10 years ago with Pauline's late mam.

The foldable wheelchair was great and it went into the airplane hold.

The airport staff used their own wheelchair to transport her to a holding disabled lounge and put her mam and us on the plane in a motor vehicle in a mobility lift.

We bought the wheelchair at a mobility store.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

This is what my rollator looks like

rollator.jpg.963001700b2ef6a3ec474e7189095307.jpg

That's the type my Mom has now too.  SO much safer for her because she actually pushes it instead of picking up the walker so it didn't scratch her floors.  Plus, she can put stuff on the seat to move from one room to another instead of trying to carry stuff. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I use a Rollator to get around. Old back injury results in back pain when I walk very far. It has a seat so I can sit if I need it.  I check it when I fly, and get wheelchair assistance at the airport. ADA  forbids airlines from charging extra for mobility devices.

I don't want to use a powered wheelchair device since it is still important for me to keep walking.

I need to research the Rollator.  That might be a good option while  on the ship.  

• Like 8

On 3/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, dani negreanu said:

Let me make it clear. I would leave tomorrow, and, for the first time, our married son, thinking of his young kids, will leave with us. He knows from my memories of immigration, how hard it is, and, until this new government, he and his wife wouldn't even hear the words "leave Israel". So sad.

So sorry for how things are going. We were in Jerusalem on a Viking cruise last month. The cruise director, the day or so before we were scheduled to dock in Jerusalem, indicated that they weren't sure  if we'd be able to get there due to the protesting - surely not as bad as now, of course, since we did get there. With our day there being 1/30 - only a few days after the shooting that killed 7 people near the synagogue - I'm sure that's what created the uncertainty. The next day we were in Haifa. Were supposed to be there overnight but had to leave because (at least so we were told) a weather system was moving in. I'm sure that was accurate, but have to wonder if our time getting cut short might have been due to other factors as well. Several Viking ship personnel went with all the excursion groups - in front of and behind, perhaps just due to the crowded nature of the sites. Again, who knows? While we greatly enjoyed what we got to do in Jerusalem, it was most disappointing to lose the extra day, since we would have gone to Nazareth / Sea of Galilee, plus several holy sites. The excursion was sold out weeks before the cruise, and that's the one we lost.

If I'd go back, I'd not go by ship again. Way too much time on the bus back and forth (6 hours from Haifa to Jerusalem and back). Didn't help that the bus broke down as we were getting ready to leave Jerusalem. They switched us to a different bus (crowded cause it had another excursion group), and then a bit later on at a bathroom stop they transferred us back to the first bus. Not a good idea since it nearly broke down twice on the way back to the ship. At one point we pulled to the side of the road (not much room) in a tunnel and waited there a bit while the driver fiddled with a few things. I saw some sort of warning indicators flashing on the dashboard during the entire drive back. We pulled off the road a second time as well. Most thankful to make it back to the ship, especially since it was already about 10 p.m. when we got back to the terminal. The first day we got to Masada and the Dead Sea. Great experience!

I seem to recall mentioning this trip awhile back and asking you about swimming in the Dead Sea - but TOO many pages since to try and go back to review!  

Wishing and praying that your family and friends all stay safe.  🙏  There is simply too much evil in our world. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I fully agree about the slide out drawers.  We have them in a couple of cabinets meant for pots and pans but plan to add them to all lower/base cabinets with doors.  So much easier and frees up the "hidden" space in the back of the cabinet.

We have a pot filler over our stove but rarely use it.  It dispenses cold water.  Not sure if it's plumbed as cold water or if it's plumbed as hot water but if it's plumbed hot, the pot is full and we turn it off before the hot water starts coming out.  Unless we want to leave a big pot of water on the stove for a while before it boils, we're better off (i.e. it's faster) filling the pot with hot water from the sink.  Maybe we'll use it more as we get older and heavy pots of water become harder to manage.

I think it would be more convenient to fill a heavy pot of water directly on the stove than carrying it from the sink to the stove.  I always use cold water, never hot.  Have I been cooking wrong?

25 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I need to research the Rollator.  That might be a good option while  on the ship.  

If you do get one, make sure it has a seat and brakes. 

I requested a wheelchair from Special Needs Dept. for the Oasis Bella cruise just for check in, and I was wheeled right through check in and up to the Windjammer.  It's quite a bit of walking and even with a rollator it might be a challenge.  I know it would have been with my cane. If you do get a rollator, make sure it's the proper height for you.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

From a couple of articles in my online newspaper it seems like he is being forced into a climbdown,  so the protests and strikes seem to be having an effect. 

"He" is an outstanding liar and manipulator. Since "he" is under 3 counts of indictment, of course he'd like to chose his judges, not to mention chose his verdict....

Contrary to what "he" declared [what else is new 😢...], the anti-democratic laws are at the ready. Just waiting for the right moment to raise their hands.

"We" blink, and we're facing a fait accompli.

@jagsfan Mimi, so sad to hear your battling pneumonia. Please get well soon, you're thoroughly missed here 😘

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I think it would be more convenient to fill a heavy pot of water directly on the stove than carrying it from the sink to the stove.  I always use cold water, never hot.  Have I been cooking wrong?

I requested a wheelchair from Special Needs Dept. for the Oasis Bella cruise just for check in, and I was wheeled right through check in and up to the Windjammer.  It's quite a bit of walking and even with a rollator it might be a challenge.  I know it would have been with my cane. If you do get a rollator, make sure it's the proper height for you.  

I will debate what the proper height is.  I have been told I need to have my arms straight out, my reply is that it works the way I have it, it cannot be wrong.  The handles are at the highest position, by arms are almost vertical, and it relieves the load on my lower back, which is what I need. I totally ignore people who try to tell me I am doing it wrong. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

When you say, Special Needs Dept is that RC.  This is all totally new to me.  Do you call RC in advance or mention it when you get there to board.  If I enter a show with a rollator can I set it up top and make it to a regular chair?

If I don't overdo I can still walk but not the best balance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My mom used one of those, and got around well with it.  When she moved to a wheel chair, there was a place locally, that loaned out wheelchairs, as well as other medical devices, at no cost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When you say, Special Needs Dept is that RC.  This is all totally new to me.  Do you call RC in advance or mention it when you get there to board.  If I enter a show with a rollator can I set it up top and make it to a regular chair?

If you want wheelchair assistance, you can fill out the form ahead of time.  You might want to consider ordering a shower chair for your cabin.  We have had to do that for my DH post surgery once, made it a lot safer for him to stand.  Lots of information here:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, dani negreanu said:

Karen, I'm the "unrest" -- my family, my friends, my neighbors -- we're all in the streets to keep our only country from becoming a dictatorship.

Sadly, we don't have a Constitution and 2 houses, no "balances" whatsoever, and the newly elected ultra-religious guys (no women in their parties...) already have laws against gays (allowing doctors, inn keepers/hoteliers and business owners, among others, to refrain from "dealing/treating/supplying services" to them...), separate beaches & swimming pools for women and minorities, etc., and I could go on and on. Abolishing the every 4 years elections is in the cards too...

We're the only democracy in the ME, and intend to keep it this way.  More for our kids and grandkids.

Wow.....thanks for sharing all this. I can't even imagine.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If balance is an issue for you, you may need a larger device  than I use.  A good medical supply store may be of more assistance than  my comments. I just know what works in my situation.  

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I need some suggestions.   Does anyone use a lightweight Transport Wheelchair to fly and cruise?  Is it a challenge to board an airline with?  Any problems using them with a Lyft service?  Any suggestions on which to buy or not tobuy?
Also my PT suggested to get a cane that has a small tri base.  Any suggestions?

Lenny had posted something about his new lightweight chair in this thread. Sorry, I cannot remember the details, but hopefully if he sees this he will definitely post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Just saw this video of a cat being offered Sorento’s pizza

We had a cat who we eat anything we would , but she was smart enough to avoid Sorento’s 😁😁

on one of our recent celebrity cruise someone had two little dogs , way smaller than the average cat , heard celebrity charges them over a hundred dollars a day a piece , they kept them in a baby stroller even in suite restaurants, definitely had some complaints from other passengers.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I fully agree about the slide out drawers.  We have them in a couple of cabinets meant for pots and pans but plan to add them to all lower/base cabinets with doors.  So much easier and frees up the "hidden" space in the back of the cabinet.

We have a pot filler over our stove but rarely use it.  It dispenses cold water.  Not sure if it's plumbed as cold water or if it's plumbed as hot water but if it's plumbed hot, the pot is full and we turn it off before the hot water starts coming out.  Unless we want to leave a big pot of water on the stove for a while before it boils, we're better off (i.e. it's faster) filling the pot with hot water from the sink.  Maybe we'll use it more as we get older and heavy pots of water become harder to manage.

4 hours ago, derorim said:

I never really understood the need for a pot filler over the stove.  I find it easier to carry a pot of hot tap water from the sink to the stove than to carry a pot of boiling water back from the stove to the sink.  I'd find a pot emptier more useful, but I don't think anyone's invented that yet.  

I think it is generally recommended to fill cooking pots from cold water to reduce chances of contaminants, minerals and off flavours that might come from the hot water tank.  It might be different if hot water supply is "On Demand" rather than from a hot water tank.

dp

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I will debate what the proper height is.  I have been told I need to have my arms straight out, my reply is that it works the way I have it, it cannot be wrong.  The handles are at the highest position, by arms are almost vertical, and it relieves the load on my lower back, which is what I need. I totally ignore people who try to tell me I am doing it wrong. 

"What's right for you" is how you feel comfortable.  Nothing to debate.

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Lenny had posted something about his new lightweight chair in this thread. Sorry, I cannot remember the details, but hopefully if he sees this he will definitely post.

I posted about it again this afternoon in reply to really it’s me.

I have two Walkers,one solely for in my house and the one you are referring to for inside and outside..

• Like 3