Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

All this medical talk and a few moments of free time at work with nothing to do...I already mentioned my kidney story but here's the long story for me:

From 20-35ish, I had a bad back.  Not horrible pain everyday, but discomfort.  Every few years I'd throw it out, it would hurt for a couple weeks, and go back down to the discomfort level.

The weekend before 9/11, we went on a family fishing trip.  Came home Monday, cleaning out the boat and everything, bent down to pick up a cooler and felt my back explode.  Oh well, another two weeks.  Not this time.  Tuesday morning was 9/11, and by Wednesday my legs started getting really weak and numb.  My mom, retired RN, tells me she is going to find an Ortho Dr. for me to see.  Yeah, whatever Mom, I'll just rest and it'll get better.  She insists.  So she calls some of he old doctor friends, finds someone recommended, and makes an appt. for me the next morning.  

I go in, by this time I can barely walk.  Doc takes a look at me, does some poking and prodding, and says "I'm sending you over for an MRI.  If it confirms what I suspect is wrong, you'll be in surgery this afternoon."  Bam.  So, MRI complete, I come back to his office and he is waiting for me.

He explains what happened.  My L4-L5 disc ruptured into my spinal cord.  Cauda Equina Syndrome, he calls it.  If it's caught within the first 48 hours, there is a good chance of spontaneous reversal.  Unfortunately, I'm outside that window.

"The spine physicians from next door are prepping for surgery.  Of course, you're free to go out and find a second opinion, but please, I'm telling you that if you don't have surgery right now, you're risking permanent nerve damage, up to paralysis."  Wow.  So I'm in surgery just a little bit later.

Nine months of rehab.  Before this, I was running 7 miles a day, 6 days a week.  For months, I walked with a walker, then a cane.  Finally up and around enough 9 months later that I started a job at the same place I work today.

Fast forward to today.  I am so lucky.  Really the only remaining vestige of all this is foot drop in my left foot.  I don't have any muscle activity below my left knee.  So I usually have an ankle brace keeping my foot at 90 degrees.  Still trip over my toes every so often if I'm tired and I'm not wearing a brace. Can't run, can't jump.  But, apologies to Lou Gehrig, I'm the luckiest dude on the face of the earth.  I've talked with people who had the same thing happen and got sent home by a doctor who gave them ibuprofen and "if it doesn't get better in a month, come back."  All my cards lined up...from my mom to a doctor who was supposed to be out of town, but because planes were grounded in the days after 9/11 decided to go into the office and had an open appointment, and knew exactly what he was looking at.  

Today...great job, traveled more than I ever thought I would, and I definitely outkicked my coverage in the wife department.  All since that day.  I've been asked if I knew on that Monday what I know now, would I still bend down to pick up that cooler.  Not even a hesitation...damn right I would.

Thanks for sharing your story which thankfully had a good outcome.

So glad your mother insisted!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I’m way behind reading this, but it hit me really hard. ALS is a most frightening diagnosis, and I’m praying the results come back negative. 
if it’s a positive result, I know you will live your best life through it. 
The current issue of People, with Brooke Shields on the front, has a long article about a gentleman who has survived long past the time he was given. 
Still getting so much out of life. Still productive. Still living and being loved. 
I wish I could give you a hug. I can only say I’ll hope and pray for you. 
Mimi

The way I understand ALS there is no actual way of testing for it so there will not be a positive or negative result for ALS.  We are actually hoping to find something else that is causing the problem and that something can be done for it.

Like I said before,  please also pray for those around me that is having a hard time handling the news.  The girls are doing so much better.

Wow Mimi, I wish you could be here to give me a hug too.  I love warm hugs!

Thanks for your thoughtful words and prayers. 

• Like 16

Getting ready for the Big Game tonight. NCAA Women's Final Four in Dallas at 7pm Eastern Time.

Lady Virginia Tech Hokies against the  Lady LSU Tigers in the Semi Finals.

Lady Hokies Home Court is  just 32 miles from our house in Blacksburg, Va.

Let's Go Hokies !!!!!

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today is a sorrowful day here.My brother in law passed away on this date in 1998.He was 65 years.It does not seem like it has been 25 years.

I understand.   Wednesday was going to be my mom's 95th birthday 🎂.   Good memories. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@Ozark_Kid I am sorry I did not see your detailed post about your medical situation.  I sincerely hope the results come back negative.

I totally understand not seeing post.  I often miss a post until I someone else responds to it.  I almost missed the one you responded too.  Thanks. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My DD who lives in Little Rock AR had a tornado touch down near them but they are OK.  The plus side the parents were at their kids schools,  two different schools,  because it hit about the time schools were about to let out so they were able to be with the kids.  The news is showing a semi truck thrown across the highway,  buildings with roofs ripped off and shredded tree limbs thrown all over neighborhoods.

As of now it is storming with no tornado but it looks like it can still pick up again.   

As of now the strongest part of it is tracking just south of us. 

Thinking of you and your family. The video of the Little Rock tornado was very scary.

• Like 3

An epic girls day:

A few of my friends and I were invited to use my friend's daughter's pool today (daughter and family were away) and we decided to make it a "girls" only day.

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the pool.  It's an oasis resort type pool complete with a 2 level rock waterfall, gorgeous plantings, swim up umbrella table and chairs, loungers in the pool and it's large! 

Lots of munchies.  I had a few glasses of Moscato and one of LaLa's favorite, Beringer White Zin. So good.

Beautiful sunny skies mid 80s temps.

However, one problem.  No handrail to get in or out of the pool.  We 5 seventy something gals got in ok but we were doubled over with laughter trying to get out.  Oh, the fun we had holding onto each other!

After, home to Jack where we relaxed with ice cream on the patio.  Breezy and so comfy I almost fell asleep.  The wine and sun did me in.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Here as well. Years ago, my dear friend Ann was diagnosed with ALS.  She lived a tremendously full life with her dear husband Don, and did better than anyone ever expected.  I also hope you get good news from the doctor. I will be praying for you and your family, as you wait for tests.

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

An epic girls day:

A few of my friends and I were invited to use my friend's daughter's pool today (daughter and family were away) and we decided to make it a "girls" only day.

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the pool.  It's an oasis resort type pool complete with a 2 level rock waterfall, gorgeous plantings, swim up umbrella table and chairs, loungers in the pool and it's large! 

Lots of munchies.  I had a few glasses of Moscato and one of LaLa's favorite, Beringer White Zin. So good.

However, one problem.  No handrail to get in or out of the pool.  We 5 seventy something gals got in ok but we were doubled over with laughter trying to get out.  Oh, the fun we had holding onto each other!

After, home to Jack where we relaxed with ice cream on the patio.  Breezy and so comfy I almost fell asleep.  The wine and sun did me in.

Sun, friends, refreshments and laughter sounds like a perfect day.  Days like that are good for the soul.  Hope you have another opportunity when they travel again.  
Next time, may I suggest a hunky lifeguard be on call to assist you lovely ladies out of the pool when needed 😀

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Just back for taking my dog for a long walk on a lovely sunny Saturday morning.  The trees are just starting to turn to their autumn colours.

@Sea Dog how are Charlie & Lizzie going (behaviour wise)?

I saw the gorgeous video you posted of them when packing for Bella.  

Just wondering if they have stopped the chewing and are better behaved for you now.  My dog Max and his quirky behaviour made me think to ask (he has chased 5 planes already this morning….)

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When I first saw this I thought it was one pic and was thinking the partial toes in the upper pic was someone else under a ledge in front of you. 

I really liked your Coco Cay pic.  I love the sunlight reflecting off the water. 

It was 2 photos but when I inserted both of them together I kinda like the way it looked combined so I didn't put a space between them (at least on my phone, not sure what it looked like on other devices).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

On the plus side, the blank pages of the new Australian passport are beautiful.  Each page has a photo of one of our countries beautiful locations- Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Sydney Harbour, Kakadu, Wineglass Bay Tasmania, The twelve apostles (Great Ocean Road Victoria), Bungle Bungles, The Three Sisters Katoomba, Dove Lake at Cradle Mountain, Tasmania and more…very nicely done.

Sorry to hear about the breach making a new ID necessary.  

I was lucky enough to visit Australia when I

was around 15 years old as part of USA baseball.  We visited Adelaide and played against Australian colleges in the area.  I will never forget what a beautiful place it was.  Visited a kangaroo park, held a Koala and did some beach/sightseeing while we were there.  Very very long flight but well worth it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

An epic girls day:

We added hand rail to our pool a couple of years ago , definitely makes it a lot easier getting out of pool.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Getting ready for the Big Game tonight. NCAA Women's Final Four in Dallas at 7pm Eastern Time.

Lady Virginia Tech Hokies against the  Lady LSU Tigers in the Semi Finals.

Lady Hokies Home Court is  just 32 miles from our house in Blacksburg, Va.

Let's Go Hokies !!!!!

We are Hokies fans here too.We have a niece who is a Virginia Tech graduate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Just back for taking my dog for a long walk on a lovely sunny Saturday morning.  The trees are just starting to turn to their autumn colours.

@Sea Dog how are Charlie & Lizzie going (behaviour wise)?

I saw the gorgeous video you posted of them when packing for Bella.  

Just wondering if they have stopped the chewing and are better behaved for you now.  My dog Max and his quirky behaviour made me think to ask (he has chased 5 planes already this morning….)

Thanks for asking. They are better in the evening about not being too wild. They sleep a lot more during the day and evening because they are getting older. Lizzy is still a little hyper and barks but she is barking less. It’s funny because if she sees an animal on tv she will bark. And she likes to sit on the couch and growl at squirrels running around outside. Charlie is a real love bug. He likes to sit behind me on the couch and lick my head. They are a joy to be around. The chewing has become a little better. Only because we keep some dog gates around the stuff they want to chew on. We also give them plenty of chews to keep them occupied.

514A5E3A-9C71-4FEB-819E-B5CD45B93C03.thumb.jpeg.e3b7fd1e601c2cbadee5c01b26f1c154.jpeg

Lizzy

1D007A95-DC93-4F14-A0D4-93B40C356327.thumb.jpeg.15a10c0e58c15cd29ac1285ba09d8edf.jpeg

Charlie.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

SIL shot this as he passed the area where my DD was picking up Lottie.   The daycare is right off the highway there.  I didn't realize the tornado hit so close.  You can't see it in this video but across the street there were businesses that had there roofs ripped off.   

• Like 11