Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Interesting that even the  salesmen didn't recommend Samsung.  I had an appliance repair man replace the ice maker on my refrigerator (Amana ) trash talk the LG  about their compressors. Apparently he had replaced them more frequently  than the other brands.

• Like 2

True to the "tradition", DS2 took his wife and eldest son on a catamaran sailing --

image.thumb.jpeg.69b351369e5fe23c0435fdda258d6853.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.26b95629e746ee94e64e97a4e88a79b9.jpeg

GS1 spending quality time with the amazing uncle --

image.thumb.jpeg.f5630db0d10605a32d0c9fdd53af6b94.jpeg

Enjoying a pancake --

image.thumb.jpeg.4057f344db9461eb4fca00a9f87755f7.jpeg

Checking his balance

image.thumb.jpeg.33e60205f23f4a6ebf390171c5318183.jpeg

"White night", where it is recommended to wear white, honoring the kitchen's staff. Reminds me of the last day of a cruise....

image.thumb.jpeg.e182f90f9ce0cee81cd4a089afc1435b.jpeg

• Like 24

13 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Interesting that even the  salesmen didn't recommend Samsung.  I had an appliance repair man replace the ice maker on my refrigerator (Amana ) trash talk the LG  about their compressors. Apparently he had replaced them more frequently  than the other brands.

We also read about the LG compressor problems/reviews and lawsuit on the Inverter compressor ( or whatever that is!). Otherwise LG overall has good reviews. We have LG washer, dryer and TV. They are good.

14 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I can attest to the fact that our LG refrigerator's compressor gave us problems.  We bought a Frigidaire last Summer at our repairman's suggestion,  French doors, freezer on the bottom.  Water dispenser is inside the door, though, as is our ice maker.  No worries.  We do like it!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Bitter --

We knew before traveling that DS2 and his family will leave us in order to seek a better and less stressful life in Netherlands. August 3rd 😢

We tried to make the most of us being together as a family and bond more with the grandkids. We succeeded.

I have a big hole in my heart, and DH is plain shattered.

I am so sorry for you and your DH, Dani.  Having children and grandchildren, I can only imagine the heartfelt pain you both are having.  Will it be possible to visit them somewhat frequently?  ((Hugs)) to both you and DH.💕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We knew before traveling that DS2 and his family will leave us in order to seek a better and less stressful life in Netherlands. August 3rd 😢

We tried to make the most of us being together as a family and bond more with the grandkids. We succeeded.

Your sons are so handsome. I know you are very proud of them. I'm so sorry that your family will be separated as your son and his family seek a safer home in another country. 😞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Thank you to all who chimed in regarding the refrigerator questions. Thanks for all  the good knowledge and do's and dont's.

We decided on the GE Profile. We first narrowed it down to LG, GE and Kitchenaid. Kitchenaids were very hard to find "in person". Saw one at Lowe's and one at Best Buy...inventory was questionable. LG seems to be the most popular. GE seemed to have all that I needed. Tough first world choice.😁....LG or the GE. The big sticker on the GE made the decision: "Proudly made in America". Made or assembled, all good. To us it meant stricter/better quality control than something made in China (Not dissing them, just stating what we felt). I did like the Samsung, but so many told us to stay away, so did the pros at HD, Lowes and BB. They were also of the opinion that if one wants Samsung only, then to look at the new Bespoke. We looked, all bells and whistles were very nice, but felt that it was not for us. The LG looked good also. Loved the door in door feature and craft ice. But felt that more fancy features means more things to go wrong also. Didn't want to deal with those issues (if they were to arise at all). Did not need wifi enabled.....nice but did not absolutely need it. So, after all considerations and everyone's help, we went with GE Profile. It is a french door, bottom freezer with water and ice maker in the door and an option to have a second ice maker in the freezer, which we chose.

Wanted to mention, we did not have to pay sales tax......Florida is having a sales tax holiday on appliances under some $$$ amounts. Different "rebates" for different appliances. If you are in the market, make sure mention it, since many HD, BB or Lowes do not know about it. Our local Lowes had a flyer mentioning it, but did not know how to apply it to an order. We ordered from HD online,  while having a customer service manager on chat, who had to apply the no sales tax and a % off coupon DH got in a "welcome to FL" packet.....Ooops I was almost throwing it away in the junk mail recycling bin.

Sorry for the long post. But thank you to this family for excellent tips on refrigerator 101.

We’ve always had either GE or LG. We like the GE Cafe line. Every Samsung product I’ve ever owned has had either problems or quit working. I’ll never buy a Samsung product. I heard about the LG compressor problems but we went ahead and bought a new LG refrigerator. So far it’s great. I really like the craft ice maker that makes large round ice spheres for my cocktails.

26 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We're back from our dream family vacation at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey, with a bitter-sweet feeling.

Sweet ---

A year ago our boys asked for a vacation "down the memory lane"....

To make a very long story short, it is usual here, after a long and stressful army service, to save some money after the discharge (there are several incentive places of work for discharged soldiers -- gas stations, agriculture, building, working with elderly) and tour the world, mostly South America, India, the Far East.

The boys took pity on their mom, who after 4 years of sleepless nights while they've done their combat service, was not psychological ready for several months of additional stress, and looked to combine "seeing the world" without unnecessary worries for me.

Both being sea scouts in their youth, they've found a job instructing water sports at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey. DS1 worked there for 2 years, and DS2 for several months, until he completed his training as security man at our embassies, first in Cairo, and then, as a kind of "compensation" for the "difficult environment", back to the "roots" -- Brussels.

They asked to spend our next family vacation where it all started, and to show the spouse and the kids this marvelous place. DS1 has made life long friendships with people all over the world while working there.

Bitter --

The club is very big (I've timed, walking very quickly, 10 mins from our rooms to the reception...), well maintained, with extensive gardening, which DH couldn't stop photographing. 

Some examples --

image.thumb.jpeg.db2cf9009cbd84e4743f5f648ad56ba1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bafb7355331fbb776b943d133da2c90d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b9122eb509f681e9c95581aa3d0c094.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c24e5e055d928d9f3ff6767efeb2ab7a.jpeg

I know it must be hard when a beloved family member leaves the nest. At least with technology today you can zoom, FaceTime and text to stay close. Your vacation pictures look awesome. I’m so happy you got to spend some special time together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I worked in IT at Abraham & Strauss which was cool since I was living less than a mile from there location in Brooklyn. 

A&S was my favorite store, first in downtown Brooklyn, then NJ.

41 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Bitter --

image.thumb.jpeg.bafb7355331fbb776b943d133da2c90d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b9122eb509f681e9c95581aa3d0c094.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c24e5e055d928d9f3ff6767efeb2ab7a.jpeg

Dani, my heart aches for you and your DH.  Truly.

I know there will be many, many wonderful times spent together in the future.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We’ve always had either GE or LG. We like the GE Cafe line. Every Samsung product I’ve ever owned has had either problems or quit working. I’ll never buy a Samsung product. I heard about the LG compressor problems but we went ahead and bought a new LG refrigerator. So far it’s great. I really like the craft ice maker that makes large round ice spheres for my cocktails.

The LG craft ice maker really intrigues me, especially since I "manually" make large rock ice.  One of the videos that I watched (maybe the one that I posted?) said that they believe LG has changed their compressor design after the lawsuit, and that hopefully their compressor issues are now behind them.  The video wasn't ready to declare them problem free quite yet. Fingers crossed for your new LG fridge.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

@dani negreanu Are you planning on joining your son in the Netherlands?

May be in 4-5 years time... Let's see if they settle there. He's a lawyer and she's a SW. Both need the language to work. For the moment, DS2 will work for his law office, they're OK with him working from abroad. With the rent they'll have from their apt. here, supposedly they'll make do, until DIL will find some work...

DIL is leaving here loving parents, one brother with 3 kids and one sister. They're a very close knit family and it is very hard on both parts.

16 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I am so sorry for you and your DH, Dani.  Having children and grandchildren, I can only imagine the heartfelt pain you both are having.  Will it be possible to visit them somewhat frequently?  ((Hugs)) to both you and DH.💕

I plan to visit, hopefully DH will "break down" too and agree to fly to visit them. For the moment, he's very very angry...

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The LG craft ice maker really intrigues me, especially since I "manually" make large rock ice.  One of the videos that I watched (maybe the one that I posted?) said that they believe LG has changed their compressor design after the lawsuit, and that hopefully their compressor issues are now behind them.  The video wasn't ready to declare them problem free quite yet. Fingers crossed for your new LG fridge.

I really like the craft ice maker but I wish the ice balls were a little bigger. They are about golf ball size and my other ice balls are about the size of a handball.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

May be in 4-5 years time... Let's see if they settle there. He's a lawyer and she's a SW. Both need the language to work. For the moment, DS2 will work for his law office, they're OK with him working from abroad. With the rent they'll have from their apt. here, supposedly they'll make do, until DIL will find some work...

DIL is leaving here loving parents, one brother with 3 kids and one sister. They're a very close knit family and it is very hard on both parts.

I plan to visit, hopefully DH will "break down" too and agree to fly to visit them. For the moment, he's very very angry...

Dani - Greg is so right about using Facetime for remote distances.  Micheline Facetimes with my daughters almost daily...sometimes one at a time and sometimes both together.  They put their phones on a stand and then go about their business, sometimes not even talking to each other for a minute or two.  I've come home, put my stuff away, talked to Micheline for a minute, and then find out that one of my daughters was "virtually" in the room on FT the whole time.  They say it's almost like being in the same room together while doing separate things.  I don't know if your son/DIL/DH would enjoy doing this (it's not really my style since I'm not a "chit chat" person), but it might be worth a try.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I worked at Korvettes  briefly but A&S in downtown Brooklyn was also my favorite department store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

and GS2 with his cheeky smile --

image.thumb.jpeg.5838222e37dbca627bbf177d16e708d6.jpeg

DH found an intriguing insect -- it was so shiny, he was sure it is a lost jewel

image.thumb.jpeg.ab3fbf288813e38819023e236f5e5810.jpeg

And some more pics of this beautiful resort. Sigh.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc2d3565661d7da76af445601178adc6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0e2035ec907a7b0813862cbdde31d123.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c8c2e7514fbafd54d859056def75ad17.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38dfbb825b380b562e1ca6edbf203be4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.304bffe8c7df014053812283b1ed1997.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff2535dcbd455bccaded030c36c29975.jpeg

Your Grandson is adorable.   Like others have said, Facetime is a great way to still be "together".  When my grandson was about that age, he would set up the phone at his Lego table and he would build his Lego's and show me and tell what he was doing.  It was like I was in the room, and sort of playing with him.

My heart goes out to you and your family.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I presume you mean he’s angry at the situation…not their decision.

Angry at the hopeless and volatile situation in our country, which made them decide to try to live elsewhere.

[ We're from the generation which needs a stable work place / steady income and not "playing it by the ear" with 2 small kids.]

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never had an issue with Sansung cell phones. My phone is, however, the only Samsung product that I own.

Yes I can’t comment on their phones but I’m not of a fan of their appliances. I’ve always been a iPhone guy. It works for me.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

We received a nice discount on anything we bought and around Christmas A&S increased the discount, I bought TVs and other stuff for many family members.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

and GS2 with his cheeky smile --

image.thumb.jpeg.5838222e37dbca627bbf177d16e708d6.jpeg

Dani, GS2 is a handsome young man!  Great pic.

I'm sure it's hard to have family move away.  Especially when they are loving like yours.  Not everyone is blessed like that.  

I agree with others that FaceTime can help.  Sharon daily does it with here mom.  On occasion one of the Grandkids FaceTime my iPad or laptop.  Yesterday I heard Alexa making a different sound so I made it to the kitchen to find out Aubrey and Caden figured out how to video talk over Alexa!  

Let's hope things work out that y'all can get together often. ❤️ 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've never had an issue with Sansung cell phones. My phone is, however, the only Samsung product that I own.

I have always enjoyed my Samsung phones. I am tempted to switch to iPhone only due to the ability to voice bank with the next ios upgrade.   I may instead by a new smaller ipad. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

But felt that more fancy features means more things to go wrong also. Didn't want to deal with those issues (if they were to arise at all). Did not need wifi enabled

Good choice on the GE. I am of the mindset that many high-end appliances with all the extra bells-n-whistles just have more things to break. I don't need a refrigerator to tell me its time to buy more milk or a wife-enabled stove so I can start pre-heating it when I'm a 5 minute drive away. 

Although a dishwasher that can unload itself might be nice. 😃

EDIT: The Samsung refrigerator I've had for 10+ years would be considered an entry-level model for a french door, bottom freezer model. There were ones that cost twice as much with a lot of extra features that were of no interest, plus we where on a budget at the time.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 5