Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We received news that a very good friend of ours, Mike, passed away.

He was a young 55 yrs old.     Some of you may recall in 2021 I spoke of him having a massive stroke and being in a coma for 2+ months.    After many tests performed by local hospital and Jefferson Hospital in center city Philadelphia they determined he had no brain activity and would probably never wake up again so his family put him into hospice at the local hospital.     After removing him from various meds approx. 10 days later he woke and said he was starving.   The last photos I have of him is him laughing and cracking jokes in the hospital after waking up from his coma.    At that time, he had full movement of his arms and legs and was speaking rather well.

Everyone at the hospital including his family was shocked to see him rebound.    He then began physical therapy and was doing good.

But he then had several seizures and mini strokes over the next couple of months that made it so he could never walk again and had very poor speech.     He has been living the last 2+ years at a assisting living facility and absolutely hated it.   

As time went on he became very uninterested in everything (no longer watched football or baseball which was Not like him at all).   He was severely depressed and didn't want to live like that.   It was very sad to see the once lively laughing jokester Mike like this.    

I met him 40 yrs ago in high school and after graduating we didn't see each until we were in our late 20's.   Wen we reconnected him and Eric became Best Friends.    They went fishing together all the time, watched sports together, joined a dart league at a local bar and enjoyed doing that every week for several years (both played darts very well).   

We are heartbroken that he has passed but also happy that he is no longer suffering and miserable.    We hope that he has met up with his baby boy that had passed away suddenly as a toddler 20+ yrs ago.    

May Mike RIP❤️

So sorry for your loss. It is a blessing that he was able to come back for just a little while but so hard to lose him again after giving family & friends hope for recovery. As you said, he wasn't able to live the life he wanted so perhaps the ending is a blessing as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Sorry, I’ve never taken it. I’ve driven past it hundreds of times on my way up to Whistler/Blackcomb to ski. That being said, the stretch of Highway from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver to Squamish is absolutely the most beautiful highway you will ever travel in your life. The views are absolutely breathtaking.

If you have a chance to rent a car and go all the way to Whistler you can ride their gondola which takes much much higher and has some extensive hiking trails and the Peak to Peak gondola. It is the worlds longest suspended gondola. 2.7 miles long, it takes you from the Whistler peak to the Blackcomb peak. Winter or summer it is a must do if you have the option.  I’m on the road and DW driving for a couple hours so I might have missed the your schedule since CC is a little tougher on my phone. I’ll give you all the recommendations I can. If you give me your schedule while in YVR. 

We arrive late on a Tuesday night and the ship sails at 5:00 PM on Friday.  We’ve driven to Whistler from Vancouver and spent a summer week there . You are absolutely right about the drive . It reminded us of Scotland. 

We’ve bought HO HO tickets for two days but no big loss if we decide to forego one day .  I’m thinking of going for the.sky ride . Interested in visiting Stanley Park , Granville and the Museum of Art in the city . Suggestions most welcomed. 

Thank you much ! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NHProud said:

We arrive late on a Tuesday night and the ship sails at 5:00 PM on Friday.  We’ve driven to Whistler from Vancouver and spent a summer week there . You are absolutely right about the drive . It reminded us of Scotland. 

We’ve bought HO HO tickets for two days but no big loss if we decide to forego one day .  I’m thinking of going for the.sky ride . Interested in visiting Stanley Park , Granville and the Museum of Art in the city . Suggestions most welcomed. 

Thank you much ! 

If you’ve done a week at Whistler then I’d say skip it for a day trip. The shuttle to Squamish to the gondola sounds great. 

Stanley Park is the Jewel of Vancouver

China town is an interesting visit but only go during the day. It’s a pretty sketchy later in the evening. 

I like Robson Street. It is a vibrant area at night usually, if weather is good. 

For a restaurant recommendation I always recommend Joe Fortes. 

https://www.joefortes.ca/

if the weather is going to be good try and book on the  roof top garden at Joe Fortes. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If you’ve done a week at Whistler then I’d say skip it for a day trip. The shuttle to Squamish to the gondola sounds great. 

Stanley Park is the Jewel of Vancouver

China town is an interesting visit but only go during the day. It’s a pretty sketchy later in the evening. 

I like Robson Street. It is a vibrant area at night usually, if weather is good. 

For a restaurant recommendation I always recommend Joe Fortes. 

https://www.joefortes.ca/

if the weather is going to be good try and book on the  roof top garden at Joe Fortes. 

Thanks , Dave !  Great suggestions , we are staying near Robson Square and we’ll be sure to take advantage of the location. 

You must have taken the gondola up to San Jacinto in Palm Springs. 

3 minutes ago, NHProud said:

Thanks , Dave !  Great suggestions , we are staying near Robson Square and we’ll be sure to take advantage of the location. 

You must have taken the gondola up to San Jacinto in Palm Springs. 

Yes I have. Did it once in January a few years ago.  I’ve meant to get back but haven’t in a while. I’ll take any excuse to get up into the mountain.  Winter, spring summer or fall.  I call it mountain therapy. It’s better than Xanax. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We are heartbroken that he has passed but also happy that he is no longer suffering and miserable.    We hope that he has met up with his baby boy that had passed away suddenly as a toddler 20+ yrs ago.    

May Mike RIP❤️

@Sunshine3601 Debbie, I am so sorry that your dear friend has passed.

((💗)) for both you and Eric. May Mike rest in peace. 🙏🏼 

• Thanks 1

Just took a couple of pictures on the Blue Moon from my cell phone while walking around the neighborhood tonight.  

I posted these pictures on my current trip report thread but since I'm like the 3rd cousin twice removed in this community family here, I'll post here as well. 

20230830_210201.thumb.jpg.dc1d85600a3de2a57969207cef2a24fb.jpg

20230830_210301.thumb.jpg.6f7f0bc60e2972e7985ca01270ce5e46.jpg

I'm the relative that only shows up at weddings and funerals and everyone whispers - who is that guy? We're not related to him, are we?

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

17 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I guess it's the nature of that cruise, but it seems strange that there are more D+ than D, and almost more D+ than gold, platinum and emerald combined.  The recent double points probably has something to do with it also.

I thought that too. I hope Royal Caribbean value their repeat upper level cruisers 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He was a young 55 yrs old.     Some of you may recall in 2021 I spoke of him having a massive stroke and being in a coma for 2+ months.    After many tests performed by local hospital and Jefferson Hospital in center city Philadelphia they determined he had no brain activity and would probably never wake up again so his family put him into hospice at the local hospital.     After removing him from various meds approx. 10 days later he woke and said he was starving.   The last photos I have of him is him laughing and cracking jokes in the hospital after waking up from his coma.    At that time, he had full movement of his arms and legs and was speaking rather well.

Everyone at the hospital including his family was shocked to see him rebound.    He then began physical therapy and was doing good.

But he then had several seizures and mini strokes over the next couple of months that made it so he could never walk again and had very poor speech.     He has been living the last 2+ years at a assisting living facility and absolutely hated it.   

As time went on he became very uninterested in everything (no longer watched football or baseball which was Not like him at all).   He was severely depressed and didn't want to live like that.   It was very sad to see the once lively laughing jokester Mike like this.    

I met him 40 yrs ago in high school and after graduating we didn't see each until we were in our late 20's.   Wen we reconnected him and Eric became Best Friends.    They went fishing together all the time, watched sports together, joined a dart league at a local bar and enjoyed doing that every week for several years (both played darts very well).   

May Mike RIP❤️

Oh Debbie, what a sad story. After reading about his coming round from the coma I thought it would have a happy outcome. My heart goes out to his family and may he RIP now 🙏 😢 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I second that, Lucy's is a fun atmosphere.  Another one we love to do sunset drinks with appetizers that we make a dinner out of is the West Deck.  Little further away from Lucy's.  We usually take a taxi there.  Lucy's is an easy walk from cruise port.

I was looking at West Deck on line last week. Do you prebook or can you just rock up ?

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

I was looking at West Deck on line last week. Do you prebook or can you just rock up ?

I recommend pre-book online.   They can get rather busy for dinner and sunset.     They usually have some live music as the night goes on.  

We always enjoy making a meal out of shareable appetizers.  They have a good happy hour too.

When ready to leave the waitstaff can call a taxi for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

May Mike RIP❤️

My deepest condolences.  Such a sad story, yet also amazing that he came out of the coma.

• Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone,  We have a gorgeous morning here now that humidity has lifted, for a couple of days hopefully.

Thank you for all your kind words for us and Mike's family.   

As @HBE4 said it is a blessing.   His family feels the same.   Seeing him suffer and stuck in limbo for over 2 yrs took a toll on them.   Our wonderful memories of many fun times will live on 💞

Thank you and Have a Great Day enjoying life❣️

• Like 11

9 hours ago, NHProud said:

Thank you much ! 

We enjoyed Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.  Beautiful area with a lot of ground level and tree level walking areas.  It does require a fair amount of walking and climbing stairs, in case that's a problem.  There's a free shuttle bus that stops at 3 or 4 places around downtown.  Takes about a half day.

APC_3221.thumb.JPG.afabda8121af28bcde6863dea8f3bc9f.JPG

APC_3195.thumb.JPG.f6c6cd70a45e69ba417959587909aee7.JPG

APC_3203.thumb.JPG.b3d0fd8120d4a25e6f34f3e0e60ff886.JPG

APC_3211.thumb.JPG.a57871eff6b004ead214b46eefdbd736.JPG

APC_3215.thumb.JPG.67fe7e6d7fa0b0d7324cd727e2f5c083.JPG

APC_3225.thumb.JPG.d20ec6c710a9de001ba78a0842b565ad.JPG

• Like 12

I’m guessing we are about an hour from the port of Akureyri, Iceland. This is what I look like when it’s cold. At least I’m able to use my hat and scarf that I bought in New Zealand. Not much of a chance in Fort Lauderdale. 😂

IMG_3691.thumb.jpeg.35ce839d7e0ff51f2995b9f47a03fee2.jpeg

IMG_3664.thumb.jpeg.95335154b37a249414ada6b31a6175c1.jpeg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 5
  • Haha 16

11 hours ago, NHProud said:

Thank you much ! 

At Stanley Park , we did the Horse Drawn Tours which was nice and peaceful through the park if you want something more laid back and the weather is nice.

https://www.stanleypark.com/

Carriage_Hero.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

@Sunshine3601 was sorry to read of your friend, Mike, passing away.   May he RIP.

We had a similar thing happen to one of our friends in 2000.  He had a massive stroke at 44, which left him paralyzed and with severe speech difficulties.   He required 24 hour care, and it took quite a toll on the family.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

We will have a second overnight in Akureyri since the waves will be 30 - 40 feet in Reykjavik so we will miss the port. We will leave Akureyri at 6 am on Saturday.

Our first TA on Celebrity Constellation was supposed to call at Reykjavik, but the Captain  had a bad weather report, so we went to Vigo, Spain instead.

We were bummed to not go, but that happens when cruising.  Never did get there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

At Stanley Park , we did the Horse Drawn Tours which was nice and peaceful through the park if you want something more laid back and the weather is nice.

https://www.stanleypark.com/

Carriage_Hero.jpg

That is a great suggestion.  I’m really looking forward to reading about your Greenland adventure.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We enjoyed Capilano Suspension Bridge Park.  Beautiful area with a lot of ground level and tree level walking areas.  It does require a fair amount of walking and climbing stairs, in case that's a problem.  There's a free shuttle bus that stops at 3 or 4 places around downtown.  Takes about a half day.

APC_3221.thumb.JPG.afabda8121af28bcde6863dea8f3bc9f.JPG

APC_3195.thumb.JPG.f6c6cd70a45e69ba417959587909aee7.JPG

APC_3203.thumb.JPG.b3d0fd8120d4a25e6f34f3e0e60ff886.JPG

APC_3211.thumb.JPG.a57871eff6b004ead214b46eefdbd736.JPG

APC_3215.thumb.JPG.67fe7e6d7fa0b0d7324cd727e2f5c083.JPG

APC_3225.thumb.JPG.d20ec6c710a9de001ba78a0842b565ad.JPG

If we were only younger and Steve wasn’t recovering from knee surgery.    Beautiful photos and thank you ! 

Edited by NHProud
  • Like 1